More PTing questions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-21-2010, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We're working with 19mo DD on PTing. She's ready - waking up dry, telling me after she's gone, and off and on she'll tell me before. The problem we're having is she'll start to pee and get all excited and not finish. We go flush it, get a treat and then a few minutes later she'll pee on the floor. How can I encourage her to stay sitting and finish?

Also sometimes she'll tell me she has to go, but then won't go when I put her on the potty, and will wait until I leave and pee on the floor. Is that just her figuring out how to get it going?

She's not really understanding poop yet. She'll poop in her training pants and I transfer it to her potty and she gets excited when she sees it there. Is it ok to go ahead and clap and flush and get a treat even if she went in her pants, or is that going to confuse her?

Last one. Everything I read says to not switch back and forth, but I'm scared to go diaper free when we go out. I will to the park or a walk and she tends to hold it when we're out, but at the library or other errands and being distracted, I can see her peeing on the rug. She never pees when I just put her on the potty, she has to tell me first, so I can't get her to go before we leave. But it feels like I'm dragging this out with the diapers.

mom to DD 3/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2010, 07:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I can not answer all your questions, because those are issues I am not dealing with, but as far as leaving the house diaper free, here's what we do.

Lay cloth diapers in the bottom of the car seat, and shopping cart or stroller in case of an accident. It makes for easy clean up. We also sometimes wear plastic covers over our training underpants. They just contain things a bit more if there is an accident. (like keeping pee off of the library floor) And, of course, take a potty with you in the car. My DS (24 months) does go when I ask him to and actually rarely tells me he has to go. So it is different on my front, but he manages to stay dry and I feel better with some of the preventative measures.

I would not reward her for pooping in her pants and then putting it in the toilet. I would clap and act excited while putting it in potty and have her watch.

Good luck!

Rebecca, wife to DH (4-22-02), mother to DD (10-13-05) and DS (9-24-08)

User Tag List