Good toys for toddler? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 10-24-2010, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hubby and I went to a major toy store to buy christmas presents for our daughter. We didn't like most of the toys. I dont want something that can play by itself. Electronic toys are out, as are most light and sound toys. I want something with a lot of playability. She has Legos, Megablocks, doll house, cars, wood blocks, dolls, wagon, ride on toy, lots of books. She's getting a reclaimed food safe tea set for her Birthday. She has pretty scarfs to play with. Lots of sensory items too, a ball pit, rice box, popcorn etc. I'm not crafty, I can't sew

Can yall give me some good toys? We can't have any foam in the house. I'd love some stuff to encourage her to play alone because she's not very good at that. Not a stuffed animal lover. And i'm looking for inside stuff. Thanks! Oh and my baby will be 2 in december.

Blessed Mama through adoption. Diva 3, Baby J 1, Baby E 6 months (and still waiting for us to come get her!)

#2 of 23 Old 10-24-2010, 06:34 PM

Some of my 20mo DS's favorite toys:
-tool set (basically the only plastic, battery-operated toy we have, because it still has a lot of creative play value & only makes real tool noises)
-metal (toy) pots & pans
-IKEA art easel
-musical instruments
-train set
-Animalz (little wooden animals that he can carry around/pretend with)

I'd also consider a good-quality toy kitchen if you have the space for it.

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#3 of 23 Old 10-24-2010, 07:55 PM

Do you have dolls? Doll stroller or cradle?

What about a play kitchen? Or a tent? REally, at 20 mos old, you're pretty far off from real independent play.
#4 of 23 Old 10-24-2010, 09:00 PM

the play kitchen has proven to be a favorite here. and she has played independently w/ it for awhile.

i have learned that not every kid likes the kitchen...my niece isn't that into kitchen play whereas my nephew & dd LOVE it. we have the wood (elves & angels) christina's kitchen & jacob's fridge & think they rock.

Stephanie~hippie.gifwife to Dov, mama to Ella Irie (9/24/07) & Kaya Raine (2/1/10)~our vbac.gifbaby, born 45 hours after PROM!!!
#5 of 23 Old 10-24-2010, 09:37 PM

I ditto the play kitchen. We are getting one for our kids for Christmas this year.

She is also very into blocks, puzzles and her baby dolls/stroller right now.

Lindsay - Mum to Logan (May 3, 2007), Graysen (June 26, 2009) and welcoming somebody new in September 2011!
#6 of 23 Old 10-24-2010, 10:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My DD is 25 months and plays with the following toys everyday.

~doll and stroller
~play kitchen
~Duplos
~wooden puzzles

When we are at my parent's house she loves these toys.

~train table
~cash register on a stand that has a scanner to pretend to ring things up
~three-wheeled little trike that is small enough to scoot herself around the house

Elizabeth - Doing life with Scott partners.gif

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png
adoptionheart-1.gif  Follow our journey  mdcblog5.gif

#7 of 23 Old 10-25-2010, 05:17 AM

Ds likes

Playmobile toys. His Playmobile T-Rex is one of his favorites
Train Set
Cars
Sit down ride on toy

Not all those who wander are lost 
#8 of 23 Old 10-25-2010, 06:45 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellairiesmom View Post
the play kitchen has proven to be a favorite here. and she has played independently w/ it for awhile.

i have learned that not every kid likes the kitchen...my niece isn't that into kitchen play whereas my nephew & dd LOVE it. we have the wood (elves & angels) christina's kitchen & jacob's fridge & think they rock.

And a little toy piano got a lot of use at that age.

Mom to DD 7 and DS 5.
#9 of 23 Old 10-25-2010, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

I wish we had space for a kitchen or indoor slide! But our house is built a little odd, and as such we dont have room. I am trying to convience my DH to build a slide down our front porch steps but we live in a rainy area so it may not get much use.

Blessed Mama through adoption. Diva 3, Baby J 1, Baby E 6 months (and still waiting for us to come get her!)

#10 of 23 Old 10-26-2010, 01:30 PM

Do you have room in your kitchen for a Learning Tower? This has been a big help while we're busy cooking. Our 2yo can get up and see what we're doing. Paired with some old kitchen bowls/utensils, and/or playdough, she uses it every day. It's also great for dragging over to the sink to wash hands. You do need a fair bit of room for it though. I think One Step Ahead makes a folding version but I think the original is supposed to be safer.

Plan Toys makes a cute wooden "baking" set with a roller and stuff that's good for playdough.

Another idea - art supplies! I would start with a pad of paper and some big thick triangular crayons. Ours are from Mellissa and Doug, but there are plenty of options.

You say you have dolls - mine really likes her new baby doll. Do you have one of those? It's nice because she can both identify with it and take care of it... she's interested in what baby wants to do (sleep, drink, potty, go down a slide, etc) which makes it unique among her toys. If it's a hit, then there's tons of accessory options that open whole new areas of play (stroller, high chair, outfits, diapers....)

It sounds like she already has a lot of excellent toys, so after you've picked out your present, try putting 75% of her toys away in a closet or boxes and then rotate them every few weeks. I just started doing this and she actually has more fun because she doesn't have an overwhelming selection.
#11 of 23 Old 10-26-2010, 01:34 PM

Wooden train set is about the only toy that gets constant use here. We just set ours up on the (wooden) floor.

Mama to three

#12 of 23 Old 10-26-2010, 01:39 PM

When my daughter was that age, we had a lot of fun with a flannel board and felt shapes for storytelling. When she was a little older. we made our own shapes (just cut-out, no sewing!) and decorated them with fabric paint.

-Also agree with the play kitchen, if there isn't space then maybe just a nice selection of play food and dishes to go with her tea set, or a picnic basket - easier to put everything away.
-Art supplies are great, maybe a tabletop easel, or just a bunch of paper & crayons, glitter glue, etc.
-A pop-up tent or tunnel
-Lacing shapes or big beads to string
-abc and 123 puzzles
-percussion instruments (triangles, maracas, xylophone, etc)
-some colorful block shapes to add into her wooden block set (there are some like windows, or with colored water or sand inside, arches and other architectural elements, some cool ones from the German companies that are more free-form shapes and colors)

She'll get more used to independent play but it does take awhile!
#13 of 23 Old 10-26-2010, 02:05 PM

We don't have room for a big kitchen but we do have a tabletop kitchen on this this idea (though ours is not nearly as nice) along with a basket of little metal pots & pans, wooden bowls from the thrift store, homemade felt food, etc. DS also loves this grill set that I managed to get brand new for free, he plays with it all the time & it's good for deterity... So you could always do something on that idea so she can have the fun of a kitchen without it taking up your entire room!

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#14 of 23 Old 10-26-2010, 03:30 PM

I'm really liking this company right now, http://justb-byou.com/toys/ when we're shopping for more mainstream toys. We just bought the Sugar Chute and Critter Clinic and will be buying the Fish and Splish at Christmas. DD loves them both, she will have to grow into being able to use the keys for the critter clinic so we just leave the doors open for now. It looks like about half of their toys would fit your prefrences. The colors are great, they're well made and I like that we can just go and shop for them at a local store (target and barnes and noble) as so many of the other toys we choose need to be ordered online.
#15 of 23 Old 10-26-2010, 04:03 PM

my friend didn't have room for the kitchen & got them a stainless steel looking tabletop one that also has a fridge. i could have sworn it was pottery barn or ikea but i can't find it at either site right now. ???? i'll keep looking or call her.

the play food alone is very entertaining for this age group. every kid 1 to 5 who comes here LOVES any of the wood cutting foods & tea sets dd has.

green toys makes the $20 recycled jug plastic tea set (& pots & pans) & we use that for real water & for bathtub play. and now that dd2 is scooting around a little, we are ok with her chewing on the cups & "playing" too.

and yes-a kitchen/learning tower combined with play kitchen stuff for your counter would be great. our kitchen bites & has no room, so i just use a dining room chair with arms & its been great since she was 2ish.

Stephanie~hippie.gifwife to Dov, mama to Ella Irie (9/24/07) & Kaya Raine (2/1/10)~our vbac.gifbaby, born 45 hours after PROM!!!
#16 of 23 Old 10-26-2010, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenine View Post
I'm really liking this company right now, http://justb-byou.com/toys/ when we're shopping for more mainstream toys.
That's the old "Parents" company. They just went through a big re-branding. We have a few of their toys too & love them. I keep debating on their Dr's kit vs a wood one for DD at Christmas.

#17 of 23 Old 10-26-2010, 05:07 PM

What about puddle pants so you can go outside more?

http://www.atoygarden.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=1714

"Listen, are you breathing just a little and calling it a life?"~Mary Oliver

RT knitting mama  to 3 (& 8 who didn't make it) wife working on 13 years to a silly man who drives me crazy.
#18 of 23 Old 10-26-2010, 05:32 PM

What about a shapes sorter? When DD was close to 2 she just loved it and played with it for long periods of time. This is the one she used.
http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-L...2&sr=8-1-fkmr0
Now though she uses it to store her crayons. LOL

Also, she loves her get dressed with Elmo book especially the buckle. She's had it for awhile and it's still one of her favorites. If you don't want a character there are a lot of "quiet" books that have buttons, zippers and buckles.
http://www.amazon.com/Dressed-Elmo-8...8125431&sr=8-4
#19 of 23 Old 10-26-2010, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenine View Post
I'm really liking this company right now, http://justb-byou.com/toys/ when we're shopping for more mainstream toys. We just bought the Sugar Chute and Critter Clinic and will be buying the Fish and Splish at Christmas. DD loves them both, she will have to grow into being able to use the keys for the critter clinic so we just leave the doors open for now. It looks like about half of their toys would fit your prefrences. The colors are great, they're well made and I like that we can just go and shop for them at a local store (target and barnes and noble) as so many of the other toys we choose need to be ordered online.
Thanks for posting this site. I'd never heard of it before. Been wanting to get DD a pair of keys that look more like hours and they have it. There's a lot of nice stuff on this site.
#20 of 23 Old 10-27-2010, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter

I'm loving the websites, thank you! I sent several of these ideas to my mil.

#21 of 23 Old 10-27-2010, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbailey View Post
Thanks for posting this site. I'd never heard of it before. Been wanting to get DD a pair of keys that look more like hours and they have it. There's a lot of nice stuff on this site.
Sure! We have those keys, the noises are really cute.
#22 of 23 Old 10-29-2010, 08:56 AM

http://www.amazon.com/Alex-Toys-My-K...8353556&sr=8-1

We got this kitchen for our DD's 2nd birthday this Oct. She loves it and we live on a boat, so it has to fit in a pretty small space! I would also suggest a doll house, small wooden dolls for it (our plan for xmas), baby stroller, ride along bike, crafts for you both to create with, play food for the kitchen, dress up clothes and shoes if they are into that.
#23 of 23 Old 10-29-2010, 04:13 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The train tracks for Duplo/Lego are pretty easy to put together, much easier than wooden tracks. If she likes that sort of thing they are pretty awesome and will be useful for a long time. They aren't cheap but it makes a great gift. You can also pick up pieces on ebay commonly. Also, they retain value pretty well so you can sell them in the future.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page