Forum Jump: 

#31 of 37 Old 10-27-2010, 01:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
( binkie=pacifier, baba=bottle)
Thanks! I would've never guessed that (and we don't use pacifiers or bottles so DS calls bottles are 'cups' lol... hmmm now I can tell him, no that's a baba -- and he'll probably think I'm referring to the sound sheep make!!!)

This thread makes me giggle when I see the examples of 'baby talk' -- OP, I tried talking like that to DS & I couldn't keep a straight face and DS thought I was nuts and walked away.

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#32 of 37 Old 10-27-2010, 03:19 PM

I've noticed that DH and I naturally speak a little ahead of where the baby is.

With a brand new baby, I will say Aah-goo to get a smile or make other speech sounds that don't necessarily mean anything. By the time baby is making all kinds of baby noises and speech sounds though, we're using lots of single words and short sentences.

Julie - Mom to Elizabeth (Libby) age 6, Penelope (Penny) age 5, Elliott age 29 months, and Oscar who is 1 year old!
#33 of 37 Old 10-27-2010, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughymama View Post
Well, lately with DD I've been realizing how dumb DH and I sound.

Sometimes it seems the only thing we can think of to say to her is, "Hi....Hi there...Hii..." in the sing-song, higher pitched voice. I think it's because when she smiles we kind of melt and our brains go dead.

Ha! Us too! In fact, I think our almost seven month old daughter will think her name is "hello, helloooo, hello cutie, hello!"

When I'm not just babbling emptily to her, as above, I do speak to her in full sentences, no baby talk. However, I also speak to the cat and the dog like that too, so take what you will from that
#34 of 37 Old 10-27-2010, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I guess I should tone it down! But watch out when the new baby comes!

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#35 of 37 Old 10-27-2010, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughymama View Post
I think it's because when she smiles we kind of melt and our brains go dead.
http://xkcd.com/231/

And mouseover for more silly.
#36 of 37 Old 10-27-2010, 08:37 PM

I have never used baby talk, it just doesn't come naturally to me, but I do talk in a higher pitch voice when I am talking to DD sometimes. Baby talk does grate on my nerves a bit, which is probably why it doesn't come to me. I really don't think that it would hinder you child's development if you do it for the first year, but once he or she is trying to imitate your language I would think that more correct speech patterns would be more appropriate to model.

Natalie ~ DH 8/04 ~ DD 8/09 ~ Identical Twin Boys Arrived at 34w5d on March 2, 2011

#37 of 37 Old 10-27-2010, 10:15 PM

We didn't speak baby talk with our DD. But it doesn't come natural to us. We did/do change our tone to higher pitched and show lots of excitement and speak in somewhat easier sentences.

But when she was first learning to make sounds we did parrot back to her alot. If she said "ba ba ba baa ma" then we would do the sounds back. And sometimes a little different or with the tone of a statement or question. She loved it.

Me 40 eat.gif. Partner to mamacolleen 33 superhero.gif. DD born July 2009 blahblah.gif. Twin boys born Nov 2012.

We are a family that loves cold.giftreehugger.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page