the worst teething ev-ah - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-28-2010, 02:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have come to the conclusion that my 17 month old son has some of the most miserable experiences with teething of the babies/toddlers I've come across.

Homeopathic drops and tablets? They do nothing for him. I think I started giving these at 4 months when the teething started. I give up.

My child is getting his canines. For the most part, his sleep is decent (meaning he goes to bed 8-8:30 and won't wake me up until 4 or 5 am, cosleeping). Teething used to make our nights pretty miserable.

It is terrible to see him suffering so much. What sucks for me, in addition, is that it's almost impossible to get things done during the day. Whiny, crying, clingy, nap almost nonexistent, wanting the breast every hour, not playing, almost every diaper change is resisted, brushing teeth is nearly impossible. He's never been one to accept cold wet washcloths, teething rings, cold food, etc.

I put him in a soft structured carrier to do the dishes or make a meal. I'm so thankful for carriers!

We go outside, get in the car and go somewhere - the distraction helps a bit. Sometimes I start to think it's boredom, but boredom doesn't make him demand a breast 15 times a day or cling to my leg. When this isn't going on, he's pretty good about entertaining himself for parts of the day.

What do you do? I am reluctant to ask, except this goes on for weeks at a time. I don't like giving him tylenol or ibuprofen, so we deal with it most of the time. I can't figure out what I would do if I had other children other than stuff him in a carrier more often, somehow, or give him more pain meds.
#2 of 6 Old 10-28-2010, 08:25 AM

Our babies get their teeth fast and often suffer with them. Our 12.5 month old officially has 11 teeth now, but his forth molar is about to cut through any time, and I'd say that his canines are not far behind.

The only thing that has worked for us is giving both acetaminophen and ibuprofen together. When it's not so bad, and we give only one, it's ibuprofen. Tylenol doesn't work as well.

During the day, we can usually manage without the meds. At night though, sleep is pretty much a lost cause without them. Teething has always been the biggest interrupter of sleep for us.

Julie - Mom to Elizabeth (Libby) age 6, Penelope (Penny) age 5, Elliott age 29 months, and Oscar who is 1 year old!
#3 of 6 Old 10-28-2010, 09:04 AM
tzs

it's great to not want to give meds in theory but in reality...if you had the worst tooth pain imaginable you would probably either take something (that works!) for it or even if you really won't take meds yourself, you would get yourself to a dentist ASAP and get it taken care of. except in the case of teething kiddo just has to wait it out. i really think the most kind thing to do is take care of the pain any way you can, even if that is ibuprofin and tylenol.

they say that teething pain is so bad that adults couldn't handle it.

Reluctant 'Sconie, chassid and mama to sweet toughie Ada Bluma 9/9/09 and loving pittie-mix ("Judge the deed, not the breed!")
#4 of 6 Old 10-28-2010, 10:39 AM

We're having teething from hell here too. DS is getting two top molars at once. He literally cried most of the night. He's always been a horrible teether so I don't hesitate to give him Advil (I learned fast that homeopathic stuff doesn't work when the teeth actually start moving... pre-teething pain sure, but not the actual stuff)

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#5 of 6 Old 10-30-2010, 10:32 PM

I have a friend who has dealt with this for most of her 18 mo old's life. It is crazy how bad his teething pain is. He goes through weeks at a time when he'll hardly eat any solids and just grabs at his mouth constantly, whining and crying and won't nap, clingy, etc. For the last several months she has been giving him ibuprofen pretty much around the clock, which she hates doing, but feels cruel if she doesn't medicate his pain. About 2 weeks ago she took him to an acupuncturist who specializes in pediatrics. He gave her a bunch of supplements and they actually have made an incredible difference. He hasn't had ibuprofen in a week now, and is eating so much better. He is having her give him calcium lactate (it's supposedly very bioavailable), inositol, and a bunch of other supplements for digestion. Perhaps you can seek an alternative practitioner?? Her pediatrician was stumped, as she's never seen it this bad before.

Happy mama to our miracle son Benjamin - 3/09 after a long road of infertility
#6 of 6 Old 10-31-2010, 02:07 AM

The canines are hands down the worst, but at least they're way faster than the molars and you have a nice long break before the 2yr molars.

DD has never been a good teether and we do use meds if distraction doesn't work. We're working on the 2yr now and she'll say 'teeth hurt' and make it clear that she's hurting, so I'm glad we've done meds since she does seem really pained by it.

mom to DD 3/09

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page