URGENT!! Toddler with near constant diarrhea!! Update Post 8 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 10-28-2010, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How long would you wait before taking him to the doctor??? Getting him there requires walking (can't afford a cab), and my ex (who has a car) doesn't get off work to give us a ride until much later - at what point do you walk him to the dr??

It's been going on for about 45minutes I think so far - I change his diaper, and then in 5min max I have to change him again.

Yesterday he was throwing up, and was lethargic, so we took him to the ER about 7pm, they gave him an anti-nausea pill, and told us to expect some diarrhea. WWYD?? (btw, ALL the kiddos in his daycare got this within 24hours of each other, but none were as sick as DS)

I'll check back soon, HELP!!!

ETA - last night he couldn't even keep down Breastmilk, and its running right through him right now too.
#2 of 14 Old 10-28-2010, 02:50 PM

Have you called your pediatrician?

Wife to amazing dh, mama to dd 12/08
#3 of 14 Old 10-28-2010, 02:51 PM

Follow the signs for dehydration.

If your child appears to be dehydrated or lethargic, honey, you're going to have to walk or call a cab.

Liz

Wife, and mother to a small fairy, a demolition expert, a special new someone this fall and a small dachshund.
#4 of 14 Old 10-28-2010, 02:51 PM

I would call the ped and ask them.
#5 of 14 Old 10-28-2010, 02:52 PM

The biggest concern would be dehydration. Is your toddler drinking plenty of fluids or showing signs of dehydration? Generally speaking, once his intestinal track is clear, the loose stools will stop. I know how awful it is to see your child sick, and if you're worried then at least call the nurse's line for advice or just go right in. Otherwise, I, personally, tend to wait it out, especially if my LO is acting ok (or just a bit sick) and I don't see anything in particular that's worrisome.

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

#6 of 14 Old 10-28-2010, 03:05 PM

Unless he is otherwise acting fine, I would call & speak to your doctor (or nurse) and see what they think, whether they want you to come in or wait it out a little longer.

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#7 of 14 Old 10-28-2010, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone, it seems that the fluid he had before his nap has gone through him, its been 15minutes without anything. He's acting pretty normal right now (a little low energy, but he's hardly been able to eat, so thats expected). Definitely NOT lethargic right now, he;s eating a few crackers right now, and talking to me, and on the phone, and to his toy Elmo. He's also asking me to read to him.

I'm going to wait and see how he does.

Thanks!!!
#8 of 14 Old 10-29-2010, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

He's still sick. He keeps asking to eat, but every time he eats he throws up. So, I just fed him 2 saltine crackers, and a few sips of pedialyte, and he was SO mad - kept saying "want to eat, want to eat" I waited him out, while comforting him of course, and he finally went to sleep and is taking a nap right now.

I just feel SO badly that he's so miserable!
#9 of 14 Old 10-29-2010, 01:00 PM

My kid had the throwing up thing a couple of weeks ago. I found that he could keep broth down. Do you have a chicken broth stash? I simmer mine for a bit with ginger and garlic and then add a dollop of miso.

Poor little guy. Take care of yourself too, because my whole family ended up with the barfing misery.
#10 of 14 Old 10-29-2010, 01:24 PM

Hi mama!
I am not a medical worker, but this is what worked for us and our close family member when youngest ones had diarrhea. Please check with your Ped or do your research before using any of these tips.

Do you use probiotics? Up your dosage and breastfeed him as much as possible.

Also if you have baby probiotics -that would be very helpful (not only in case like this but as prevention, esp. for daycare kids). If there is any kind of health food store close to you? Baby Jarrowdophilus: http://www.jarrow.com/product/201/Baby_s_Jarro_Dophilus is one of the good ones, or Infant Primadophilus Reuteri by Nature's way : http://www.supersup.com/supplements-...tm_campaign=gb

Also Udo's Choice Infant Probiotic.

Breastmilk is best possible thing for him right now.
And if you offer water - turn it into a elektrolyte by adding a tiny amoung of sea salt. With diarrhea, there is problem with loosing elektrolytes as well, not only loosing water.

Did you go to the doctor yesterday or today? What was the pill that they gave him at the ER?

Small bites work best, and if you add liquid other than breastmilk - give it on a spoon and wait between spoons for several minutes (that way, irritated stomach won't spasm and he won't throw up everything - large amounts of food to fast can irritate the stomach and it comes out).

Marshmallow root- us very soothing to the mucus lining irritated by throwing up, and it soothes stomach and intestines, too. Health food stores have Celebration Herbals brand with pretty good Marshmallow Root : (looks like this, but Root only): http://www.vitacost.com/Images/Produ...8240201614.jpg

To prepare - put one tablespoon of M.roots in a cup of cold water, and stir occasionally over the next 2-3 hours. It will release mucilagenous substance that heals mucus membranes and by using cold water, you avoid cooking the plant and release of starches...

I am not sure if you started using honey yet, but for toddler who use honey, this can be added to warm water/pinch od sea salt mix/ for taste and extra nutrients, and some kids prefer a bit of lemon juice mixed with all this (and it adds Vit C - always good!).

It sounds like it is passing, so hang in there mama!

:
#11 of 14 Old 10-29-2010, 01:29 PM

Also - diarrhea is actually good, it helps get rid of whatever "offender" is in the intestines, so if they offer pills that are anti-diarrheal they actually make everything last longer but that one symptom - diarrhea - gets masked.

:
#12 of 14 Old 10-29-2010, 01:43 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KikaKika View Post
Also - diarrhea is actually good, it helps get rid of whatever "offender" is in the intestines, so if they offer pills that are anti-diarrheal they actually make everything last longer but that one symptom - diarrhea - gets masked.
I agree with this. When my ds2 gets sick, he usually gets pukey. If he feels like throwing up but can't, I give him small sips of milk. By the time the cup is down, he barfs and takes a nap and wakes up feeling much better. Purging is good for the body to clear the germs.

We use Vitamin Water for vomiting/pooping. Don't know if it's as "good" as Pedialyte, but it works for us.

Hope your little man is feeling better soon!

Bring back the old MDC
#13 of 14 Old 10-29-2010, 01:47 PM

My son gets seriously dehydrated VERY quickly when ill. All it takes for him is a couple hours vomiting or diarrhea and he ends up in the hospital. Last time it happened (last month), he had to be admitted overnight.

You may want to call the doc, just in case.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#14 of 14 Old 10-29-2010, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. I haven't been letting him nurse much b/c he's not keeping BM down as well as the pedialyte - which is the ONLY thing that stays in his tummy. BM makes him puke (and I can't control how much he gets b/c I can't tell how much he's taking even though my supply is ridiculously low). Before he went down for a nap he ate 2 saltines, and its been over an hour and no puking yet. Hopefully that means a few bites of cracker and a few sips of pedialyte will work and he's almost over this.

From talking to other mom's from daycare (one baby was sick last week, and this week ALL 3 of the other babies got it within 24hours of each other), he should be almost done being sick. I think the other babies are pretty much feeling better, if just a bit low energy (I say babies, but they are all within 5months of each other in age - definitely all toddlers) and not eating too well.

I'll see if I can get probiotics, but the nearest health food store is pretty far, and I really don't want to take ds on the bus (I'm a single mama with no car).

Right now we're playing the waiting game. Hopefully he's better soon.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page