SAHMs: How often do you take 16-month old out? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 10-29-2010, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am sure we don't get out as often as most... And we usually have much better days when we DO get out, but it's simply not possible (or practical) every day. What's everybody doing to maintain sanity? What do you do in the winter? Museums, indoor play areas (malls, kiddie places).... other ideas? Screen time often works pretty well (as long as I sit with him), but I really don't want that as a crutch or habit...

When we are home, there are meltdowns, constant requests for nursing, clinginess, etc.... If we are out, he is usually pretty great, if a handful!

Thanks!

AP/SAHM to two under four

#2 of 25 Old 10-29-2010, 04:15 PM

i tried to aim for twice a day. and its so hard if its raning. our options in the AM are the mall before the stores open (they have an indoor play area) target or walmart, a fast food place w/ a play area or my moms. in the PM, we do ikea, walk the mall again,library, barnes and noble. its tough.

Coffee, Vintage and Kids.  My Life.
              reading.gif  jammin.gifdust.gif   1sttri.gif

cat.gifcat.gifcat.gif

#3 of 25 Old 10-29-2010, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

Wow!!!! Anxious to see if this is a common routine! I'm seriously impressed.

#4 of 25 Old 10-29-2010, 05:17 PM

We try to go out at least once a day, maybe to the park, or to gymboree, a hiking trail if his dad is home too ( I am too nervous to take him hiking alone.. what if I fall and break an ankle? ) sometimes we will go shopping, and once the weather starts getting colder here, we will hit up some museums and stuff.

But I find at least once a day we have to get out of the house. Sometimes we just play out in the yard too or I take him for a wagon ride to the nearby playground.

On the weekends, when my DH is home we all spend a lot more time away from home, and we do special things like going to the zoo or the pumpkin patch or swimming at the YMCA.
#5 of 25 Old 10-29-2010, 06:11 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Every day, at least in the morning. My goal (at that age) was to wear him out in the morning so he'd sleep all afternoon!
#6 of 25 Old 10-29-2010, 07:24 PM

My DD is almost 15 months. We go out at least once a day, more often twice a day. We run errands, go to the park, the children's museum, the local baby gym, the mall, the library, and Barnes and Nobles.

Natalie ~ DH 8/04 ~ DD 8/09 ~ Identical Twin Boys Arrived at 34w5d on March 2, 2011

#7 of 25 Old 10-29-2010, 07:47 PM

I found that outside time in general was good enough even if it wasn't anything special. So, with no car unless we drive dh to work, we'd bundle up and just go around the block or play in the lawn of the next building over if nothing else. If the sidewalk was passable, I'd pop her in the stroller and we'd head down to the children's museum or up to the park.

Now we've got a rarely-used baseball field behind our place, and can romp at will without the concern for cars that made our last apartment so difficult.
#8 of 25 Old 10-29-2010, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
At least once a day, twice many a day. I have older children so there are many things that I have to do. DS is 18m and he loves going out most days, even it is just running around the waiting room while a sister is in gymnastics.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#9 of 25 Old 10-29-2010, 07:55 PM

Every day at least once for at least 2 hours...but normally I'm quite the homebody. Going out does me good, and makes life-with-kids easier, but I have a hard time making the transition. But now that DS is in school 4-5 days a week, DD and I have to go get him at 3:00 (DH takes him in in the morning). And he comes out of there with bundles of energy so we typically stay and play in the schoolyard for 1.5 -2 hours - DD (who is 17 months), LOVES it there (the playground, all the kids running around, parents who no longer have really little ones cooing at her...).

DS 12/22/05 and DD 5/24/09
#10 of 25 Old 10-29-2010, 08:23 PM

We go out everyday, as many as three times-- we run errands, go see friends, go for walks, to the park or library, over to grandma's. Sometimes we stay gone all day long if she falls asleep in the car. We live in a really tiny house and I get stir crazy and so does she.

Now that it's getting so cold I'm sure we'll change it up a bit...
#11 of 25 Old 10-29-2010, 08:34 PM
Banned

When DD was that age, probably at least once a day. It's nice weather here a lot so we are lucky. AP playgroups, the library (storytime and just hanging, it was nice and big), the botanical gardens, the grocery store... sometimes we'd go on an outing and then do the store after her nap. We would just go walk around the outdoor swanky shops and watch the fish, or do the bookstore
#12 of 25 Old 10-29-2010, 08:44 PM

I had a 16 mos old and a 3 mos old. But we tried to leave the house at least once a day. Sometimes it was something small like a trip to the grocery store, or bigger like to the zoo.

My kids enjoy going out, they behave better and it is better for my own mental well being. Even a simple walk around the neighborhood counts as an outing for me! (because I usually try to brush my teeth before we leave. )
#13 of 25 Old 10-29-2010, 08:48 PM

Just thought I would post with what we do, I try to strike a good balance. DD is 13.5 months so not quite the same age but...I try to get out at least once per day and we don't have a car but live in the city. I also try to have one day that we do nothing but stay home instead, as a break for both of us, cause let's face it no car means going out is pretty tiring for us via trains and buses. So monday we usually stay home. Tuesday we have a playgroup. Wednesday is the library for a few hours. Thursday and Friday are generally up in the air. I try to run errands on those days so things like Target and Post Office. We have memberships to the Museum of Science and Children's Museum so we change things up with visits there as well as our local children's consignment store where dd loves to run around and play while we shop.

SAHM to Coraline Mae, born 09/16/09. Expecting #2 10/04!
mdcblog5.gifsigncirc1.gifcd.giffly-by-nursing1.gif

Vice President of Boston Babywearers

#14 of 25 Old 10-29-2010, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

Aaah... Clearly, I suck. The mosquitoes are entirely unbearable and vicious on both the baby and me at least half the year where we live, so those months make going outside much TRULY awful. We've done a lot this fall - well comparatively speaking. I am such an environmentalist I cannot bring myself (yet) to just drive somewhere every day just to be doing it. I have no yard for play... So anyway... Did you all go out this much BEFORE having a baby or was necessity the mother of "invention" - err going out so much? For me, I have ALWAYS combined trips - groceries, Target, etc. once every week or two - that sort of thing. We RARELY go out to eat... and so on. So any going out we do will pretty much be for sanity. And I know he loves to go out, but I know my mom didn't take me out a lot and I turned out ok, I think. Big difference though... I grew up in the country and by a certain age, ROAMED...

#15 of 25 Old 10-29-2010, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosergirl View Post
Just thought I would post with what we do, I try to strike a good balance. DD is 13.5 months so not quite the same age but...
Oh - sounds much like us, actually. I meant to say I live in the big city... So subway, buses, etc... I know that routine! And I really feel like we SHOULDN'T go out every day - like that's not a practical expectation in my household anyway. I don't mean we can't go around the block - just that going to a museum or shopping or play dates every day seems unrealistic and just not our lifestyle. Still, I know we're both happier when we get out... I guess it really seems like every other kid is getting out more though and I am really aiming to do better/more!

Thanks, everybody!

#16 of 25 Old 10-29-2010, 09:10 PM

We live in a big city and do not own a car. But we rarely leave the neighbourhood and hop on transit unless it is a bigger outing or errands downtown.

That said, we usually go out twice a day for a couple of hours each time. No matter who is watching the DD, she gets out. In the morning she either goes to the drop in at the community centre down the street. Basically they have a baby/toddler room and story time and toys to play with. If she doesn't go there she can be found playing at the park down the street for a couple of hours.
Then it is back home for lunch and a nap.
After the nap is some play time at home, then it is off again usually to the park.

On rainy or cold or hot and humid days she will be taken to the mall a couple of blocks away, to the library or back to the drop in.

Then it is back home to make dinner where she plays while we cook. And then we eat, she plays some more, then it is time for the bedtime routine to start.

We live on a fairly busy residential street in the city. We do spend some times just letting her walk up and down the sidewalk and wave at people and look at flowers and point to things.

The days where she doesn't get out at all (very rare...maybe 1 in 10) or days where she only gets out once... she is much more testy and hard to handle. For our own sanity we get out.

Before kids, we didn't go out as much. We may spend a whole Sat. in our pj's reading the weekend edition newspaper, doing the crossword, napping etc. That ritual has become extinct with parenthood.

Me 40 eat.gif. Partner to mamacolleen 33 superhero.gif. DD born July 2009 blahblah.gif. Twin boys born Nov 2012.

We are a family that loves cold.giftreehugger.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#17 of 25 Old 10-29-2010, 09:13 PM

Oh yeah. We almost never ever go to a place like the zoo or museum or anything like that. DD has been to the zoo once, the museum never, never a gallery either. We have never stepped foot in a gymboree or anything like that.
We have taken her a couple of times to a large city outdoor park that has a spot with animals there and we are taking her to her first pumpkin patch this weekend.

Me 40 eat.gif. Partner to mamacolleen 33 superhero.gif. DD born July 2009 blahblah.gif. Twin boys born Nov 2012.

We are a family that loves cold.giftreehugger.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#18 of 25 Old 10-29-2010, 09:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
we usually go out twice a day. in the mornings we do our class then any errands. then if we go out in the evening we do dinner or we walk to the park.

mama to one '07 and one '09
#19 of 25 Old 10-29-2010, 09:45 PM

We go out at least once a day, more often twice a day. Even before having DS I preferred to be out & about but now it's NECESSARY. As you can see from my "I told DS to go away" thread (we didn't go out until late in the day yesterday!) I do combine trips as much as possible, so on the way to/from wherever we're going I will stop at the store or stop by work (I WAH) or whatever... we try not to make special trips out & stay close to home but I do feel like we're still in the car way more than I'd like -- our town just isn't even remotely walkable/bike-able.

I'm nervous about the winter, last winter I was still WAH full-time so we couldn't leave the house but I'm just part-time now & NEED to leave the house but the cold is physically painful to me!!

Anyway, some of our activities:

Outdoor -
Playground, hikes, zoo, farms, beach, walk around the block, play in the backyard

Indoor -
Playdates with my AP moms group, story hours (I have nearly every library schedule within a 20-mile radius lol plus there's Barnes & Noble), errands, go up & down the stairs & the escalator at the mall (not one of my favorite activities lol), museums if they have free days...

I really want to sign DS up for music/dance or gymnastics or something for the winter but they are so expensive!!

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#20 of 25 Old 10-29-2010, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaihotmama View Post
Aaah... Clearly, I suck. The mosquitoes are entirely unbearable and vicious on both the baby and me at least half the year where we live, so those months make going outside much TRULY awful. We've done a lot this fall - well comparatively speaking. I am such an environmentalist I cannot bring myself (yet) to just drive somewhere every day just to be doing it. I have no yard for play... So anyway... Did you all go out this much BEFORE having a baby or was necessity the mother of "invention" - err going out so much? For me, I have ALWAYS combined trips - groceries, Target, etc. once every week or two - that sort of thing. We RARELY go out to eat... and so on. So any going out we do will pretty much be for sanity. And I know he loves to go out, but I know my mom didn't take me out a lot and I turned out ok, I think. Big difference though... I grew up in the country and by a certain age, ROAMED...
Motherhood was the necessity of invention. And I used to combine errands pre-baby, but she just can't handle too many stops without exploring.

With heat and mosquitoes, I'd open the windows that provide the most breeze and drape a play area with netting.

Most of the mamas answering are living in temperate climates, which does make a difference. But fresh air is important. In my climate, it's winter where we might just open a window for a bit, in a hotter climate, I'd expect you've got times when it's just too darned hot to go out.
#21 of 25 Old 10-29-2010, 10:52 PM

Oh, at least once a day for him....story time, science museum,zoo, play area, park, mom group, something, and then out again for things i need to do.... errands, grocery store, wal-mart run ect.
If we have to stay home all day he is horrible, clingy, asking to nurse all the time loud annoying mess of a child.

SAHM to 5 cats, a crazy toddler and my new baby girl born at home 3/12/12.

#22 of 25 Old 10-29-2010, 11:22 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Necessity of invention for us, too. I'm a homebody. DS is NOT. Never has been. When he was an infant, he cried nearly the whole time we were in the house, and was a quiet, happy baby whenever we were out.

I'd try to find indoor venues if the mosquitoes are too much, and try to get some short bursts of outside time when the bugs are not as active.
#23 of 25 Old 10-30-2010, 12:53 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
We usually get out once a day. The days that we don't go out we often have a friend or two come over and play. I am always busy doing some sort of project, this time of year it often involves going outside or going to someone's house to make stuff. My kids are usually just along for the ride, they can explore and play with the other kids that are around.

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11 + Someone New in May 2015! After years of planning, we are finally living our dream in South America!!
#24 of 25 Old 10-30-2010, 09:50 AM

Big city/no car/no yard here... we go out twice a day no matter what, and sometimes it's three times. I don't know what I'd do all day inside this small apartment! Everyone on the internet says things like, "Let them open the kitchen cupboards! It keeps them busy for hours!" But we only have one cupboard!

So we go out for walks; he plays on ramps and stairs and touches dirty things like chained-up bicycles. We walk to the farmer's market and buy one apple. I actually save up errands so I can do one a day as an activity, and let it take a long time if necessary (let him run around CVS and put lipsticks in the basket). We have two classes: one afternoon on Tuesdays and a morning one on Thursdays. We meet up with friends and their babies, usually just at a park where he can run free without danger from cars. Museums and zoos I do less often, more like twice a month, because I don't want him to get sick of them.

We take the subway and bus everywhere and just use a sling. The stroller is too cumbersome and makes the trip even harder.

When we lived in the suburbs (DS age 0-6 mo), I didn't go out in the car more than 2-3 times a week, but we went for a walk in the neighborhood every day. But still I was miserable and felt isolated and that wasn't good for DS, so we moved into the city where everything is smaller but happier.

unschooling in nyc

#25 of 25 Old 10-30-2010, 02:55 PM

We only went out once a day at that age. Still limit outings at 19 months. DD does not do well with the car and in the summer it was too hot tomplay in the yard most days. We slathered on sunblock, but I got heat exhaustion with a fever more than once trying to get her outside.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mom to Kira March 2009

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page