when did your toddlers naps stop? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 35 Old 11-01-2010, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
my 2.5 yr old skipped his 1st nap yesterday, is this about time?! i sure hope not....
#2 of 35 Old 11-01-2010, 11:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My son was just over 2 when he stopped napping. If he took a nap he'd be up until 11:00pm, so I dropped the nap and bedtime went back to normal.

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11.  We are planning our next adventure to South America in April 2014!
#3 of 35 Old 11-02-2010, 12:56 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD stopped napping shortly after turning 3 years old. She started sleeping just over 13 hours a night (an increase from just over 12 hours). This additional hour is most often added in the morning. DD goes to bed at around 7:30.

In addition, I make sure that she gets at least a couple of quiet times throughout the day. During these times DD will read or work with craft supplies. We will also have snuggle time...

Libby blahblah.gif, momma to my precious little girl (6/29/07) 
                        and wonderful little man (12/1/10)

#4 of 35 Old 11-02-2010, 01:08 AM

Dd stopped napping at 2.5 and I'm terribly afraid ds is on the same schedule.

-Angela
#5 of 35 Old 11-02-2010, 01:16 AM

All four of my kids stopped napping around their 2nd birthday.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#6 of 35 Old 11-02-2010, 01:28 AM

DS 1 stopped around age 3

DS 2 stopped around 4.5

DS 3 stopped at 18 mos. (and nothing we did would bring it back...he's 2.5 now)
#7 of 35 Old 11-03-2010, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraisme View Post
My son was just over 2 when he stopped napping. If he took a nap he'd be up until 11:00pm, so I dropped the nap and bedtime went back to normal.
Same with us, except DD was 20 months!

enjoying motherhood way more than science:
married to DH love.gif (2003) mama to DDenergy.gif(Nov 2008) & DSbabyf.gif   (Mar 2011)

#8 of 35 Old 11-03-2010, 12:47 PM

Can I just pop in to ask whether all of your DC were sleeping through the night when they stopped napping? I had a huge freakout a couple weeks ago, thinking that DD might be dropping her nap, but she still isn't sttn (wakes up four times on a good night). That would be so cosmically unfair that I don't know if I could manage to deal with it. She has been napping again since then, so hopefully she will keep napping for a long time to come.

Living the good life and walking a path of peace with DH and DD (4/09)
#9 of 35 Old 11-03-2010, 04:09 PM

This week DS seems to have dropped his nap (he's 26 months). I've been debating cutting it out for awhile, because bedtime had become increasingly more difficult and later and later... and he was still getting up at 6-6:30 every morning. This week he's been going to bed around 8 (instead of 9:30-10) and sleeping until 6. I miss the naptime, but I really enjoy having time in the evening with DH even more. Plus with a new baby, I am really going to need those extra nighttime hours.

DS does STTN most nights now, but still only "needs" about 10-11 hours of sleep a day.

Catie belly.gif- Happy wife to Aaron stillheart.gif(01.05), mama to Liambikenew.gif(08.08), and Ian jammin.gif (11.10)! homebirth.jpgnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif and joy.gif due Feb 2013 with blessing #3!

#10 of 35 Old 11-03-2010, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhitree View Post
Can I just pop in to ask whether all of your DC were sleeping through the night when they stopped napping? I had a huge freakout a couple weeks ago, thinking that DD might be dropping her nap, but she still isn't sttn (wakes up four times on a good night). That would be so cosmically unfair that I don't know if I could manage to deal with it. She has been napping again since then, so hopefully she will keep napping for a long time to come.
Depends on what you mean by sttn. DS 3 who dropped his naps when he was 18mos. still needed comforted and fed a couple of times a night when it happened. He never woke up to play or anything though. He's 2.5 now and just recently stopped night feeling...like a couple of months ago. Now he goes to bed at 8pm, once-in-a-blue-moon needs comfoted for a few minutes at some point, and wakes up between 9am and noon (!!!). Every night.
#11 of 35 Old 11-03-2010, 06:47 PM

Just before turning 2. Maybe 20 months??

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#12 of 35 Old 11-03-2010, 08:07 PM

Noooooo.....

DD is still waking to eat every 2-3 hours or so at night and is still sometimes latched on a LOT during the night. We nap together and I've really come to rely on that rest time! I really hope she keeps napping until she starts sleeping a little better at night!

Mama to a little bouncy girl (11/08) and someone new coming 11/11!
#13 of 35 Old 11-03-2010, 10:28 PM

DD1 had just turned 2 when she stopped napping. She STTN from age 3-5. I stopped putting DD2 down by the time she was 2.5 for a nap because she would only nap a short time and then be up till 10pm. She is 4 and STTN sometimes now.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#14 of 35 Old 11-03-2010, 10:52 PM

DD started skipping naps around 2, and then dropped them completely by 27 months. She sleeps 10 hours at night. We've tried getting her to bed earlier at night but then she wakes up earlier. I wish she would sleep more!! But she does great with that amount of sleep.

SAHM to DD 03/08 & DD 06/10 made with love with my DP

#15 of 35 Old 11-03-2010, 11:26 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
I'm desperate for ds to get back to normal napping! He's nearly 18 months and for the last month or so, either hasn't napped, or napped after 3pm. Before, he was on a great routine of waking around 8, give or take, napping around 1-3 (sometimes till 4!), give or take, and then going to bed around 8-9pm. Perfect. He WAS teething, but they're all in now. He had a couple weeks where I'd try so hard to get him to sleep at his normal time, and then he literally would not sleep until 3pm!! Then I'd wake him at 5, and then he wouldn't fall asleep till like 11 Then sleeping in later makes the nap even more impossible. Skipping the nap in hopes of early bed, earlier wake, and nap the next day. Doesn't work. I even tried a *very* small dose of melatonin (cut a tablet into 8ths) around 8:00pm to try and reset his rhythm. It worked in that he went to bed early. He did not wake any earlier. Even on the days that he DOES wake at like, 7:45 he still. will. not. nap. at a reasonable time. He might pass out in the car at 4:00, however. But that just makes bedtime hell. Thats pretty much the only time he sleeps during the day. After 3, and in the car. *Sigh* I'm NOT ready to give up naps!! There's gotta be some way to fix this? A food allergy? Aaaanything?!

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#16 of 35 Old 11-04-2010, 12:17 AM

Both ds1 and ds2 have done this wacky thing for several months while dropping their naps (ds1 was 2.5 and ds2 is now dropping his at 26 months): they are ready for bed at 5:30, but if I put them down then, they are back up and ready to party around 730 or 8. So, we end up torturing everyone involved and try to keep them awake until at east 630 when they have both been more likely to sttn (maybe needing a cuddle once? They were both night-weaned by this point) for 12-13 hrs. So, yeah. Nap dropping stinks a little but once you get through it with one, the next is easier.

"So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton

#17 of 35 Old 11-04-2010, 01:59 PM

Around 10months. He sometimes takes a quick nap, but not on a daily bases. Most days he does not nap any longer.

Mom since Oct'09. Wife to a loving husband. Expecting a little bean in May'12

#18 of 35 Old 11-04-2010, 03:23 PM

I guess I don't believe in cutting a todders nap.

We might go a couple of days without one. We might go a couple of days with one. We just take it day by day. But, we do keep encouraging DD to nap.

I love rythm. I love schedules. I love consistency. And, we try. but, I will sacrifice that over "cutting" her nap for good.
#19 of 35 Old 11-04-2010, 04:10 PM

DD is 4.5 and naps about every other day. Prior to September (preschool) she was still napping daily.

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

vbac.gifh20homebirth.gif cd.gif homeschool.gif

#20 of 35 Old 11-04-2010, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemenope View Post

We might go a couple of days without one. We might go a couple of days with one. We just take it day by day. But, we do keep encouraging DD to nap.

I love rythm. I love schedules. I love consistency. And, we try. but, I will sacrifice that over "cutting" her nap for good.
well when it takes 30 minutes to get him to sleep, he only sleeps for an hour and 15 min's, and then is a total grump for the hour after he wakes up.. and fights bedtime like the plague and doesn't go to bed until 10 pm or later, only to wake up at 6 AM....... sometimes they are telling you they need to drop their nap.

Catie belly.gif- Happy wife to Aaron stillheart.gif(01.05), mama to Liambikenew.gif(08.08), and Ian jammin.gif (11.10)! homebirth.jpgnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif and joy.gif due Feb 2013 with blessing #3!

#21 of 35 Old 11-04-2010, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCatherine185 View Post
well when it takes 30 minutes to get him to sleep, he only sleeps for an hour and 15 min's, and then is a total grump for the hour after he wakes up.. and fights bedtime like the plague and doesn't go to bed until 10 pm or later, only to wake up at 6 AM....... sometimes they are telling you they need to drop their nap.
I hear you. I have been at this point for at least 6 months now.

We just prefer to call it a struggle and haven't thrown in the towell yet. I think some kids are just like this. I have tried an earlier naptime and it helps when we can get her to fall asleep that early. If she did not fall asleep in my ergo I would not even be able to talk. Still, it does take her at least a half hour to fall asleep in it while I do chores and dance around.

I am finding her attention span is much better in the evening when she has had a nap, but that is the only thing I can really notice. I just want her to be firing on all cylanders all throughout the day. The later bedtime sucks, but I really can't blame her. 10pm bedtime isn't that hard. She is just difficult to get to sleep the whole way around and it doesn't matter what we do. It is my battle.

I think this is just my personal thing. Everyone has a thing, right?
#22 of 35 Old 11-04-2010, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCatherine185 View Post
Totally. But for my last dropping nap kid it was the 30 minutes of trying to get her down, a 20 minute nap and then a bedtime that was delayed for hours, and this was with a strict 12pm nap time! So NOT worth the battle.

With my first kid, we did the 10pm bedtime thing for years and that was fine but now with 3 kids in the house, they have to go to bed at a decent time. I need to actually work and do other things that do not involve multiple small monkeys hanging off of me.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#23 of 35 Old 11-05-2010, 03:21 AM

DD's been sleeping through the night since 9-10 months old. Now if she naps one hour any time of day, she will stay up 3 hours past her bedtime. So it doesn't work for us to keep at a routine so DD can sleep less.

enjoying motherhood way more than science:
married to DH love.gif (2003) mama to DDenergy.gif(Nov 2008) & DSbabyf.gif   (Mar 2011)

#24 of 35 Old 11-05-2010, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLStar View Post
I'm desperate for ds to get back to normal napping! He's nearly 18 months and for the last month or so, either hasn't napped, or napped after 3pm. Before, he was on a great routine of waking around 8, give or take, napping around 1-3 (sometimes till 4!), give or take, and then going to bed around 8-9pm. Perfect. He WAS teething, but they're all in now. He had a couple weeks where I'd try so hard to get him to sleep at his normal time, and then he literally would not sleep until 3pm!! Then I'd wake him at 5, and then he wouldn't fall asleep till like 11 Then sleeping in later makes the nap even more impossible. Skipping the nap in hopes of early bed, earlier wake, and nap the next day. Doesn't work. I even tried a *very* small dose of melatonin (cut a tablet into 8ths) around 8:00pm to try and reset his rhythm. It worked in that he went to bed early. He did not wake any earlier. Even on the days that he DOES wake at like, 7:45 he still. will. not. nap. at a reasonable time. He might pass out in the car at 4:00, however. But that just makes bedtime hell. Thats pretty much the only time he sleeps during the day. After 3, and in the car. *Sigh* I'm NOT ready to give up naps!! There's gotta be some way to fix this? A food allergy? Aaaanything?!
Try reading the book Sleepless in America. It has some great advice!

Quote:

This is how I feel too. I can't believe how little sleep some of the LOs in this thread are getting. My DS is 33 months and naps every day unless there is something going on and I need to keep him up.

Jamie, busy Mama to my sweet little O Man, loving wife to Brian, and very excited about our new addition, the J Man, here after ourh20homebirth.gif
                                                   Unexpectedly expecting a new little one in November!!!belly.gif
#25 of 35 Old 11-05-2010, 08:14 AM

Oldest - stopped at about 20 months, the first two months were a little difficult while she transitioned, but she definitely did not need a nap by 22 months.

Second - also stopped before she turned two, but she still needed the nap. Honestly she's five and she could still benefit greatly from a nap. Unfortunately, she is an extremely wound up kid and has a very hard time relaxing to fall asleep. I believe that most of her behaviour problems would go away if she could nap. She had a very difficult time from 24 to 28 months, and looking back, her problems were definitely all from lack of sleep.

Third - DS is 2.5 and his naps are no longer sanctioned. He will lay down and have a nap on his own sometimes, but not every day. We stopped putting him down for an official nap in the summer (around 28 months). A big nap during the day will mess up his sleep, a small cat nap in the carrier or on the floor is fine.

One thing I've found useful is to figure out the total amount of sleep a child needed in 24 hours. Once they were capable of getting that amount at night they didn't need a nap anymore. My experience has been that kids don't drop naps without adding some sleep at night.

Julie - Mom to Elizabeth (Libby) age 6, Penelope (Penny) age 5, Elliott age 29 months, and Oscar who is 1 year old!
#26 of 35 Old 11-05-2010, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieB View Post
This is how I feel too. I can't believe how little sleep some of the LOs in this thread are getting. My DS is 33 months and naps every day unless there is something going on and I need to keep him up.
Some kids just need less sleep. Believe me, I have spent my entire DS's life trying to get him to sleep more. He just doesn't. He has been a sleep fighter since Day 1. I would love it if he would still nap and go to bed at a decent time and wake up at a decent time in the morning.. but it just doesn't happen.

#27 of 35 Old 11-05-2010, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peony View Post
With my first kid, we did the 10pm bedtime thing for years and that was fine but now with 3 kids in the house, they have to go to bed at a decent time. I need to actually work and do other things that do not involve multiple small monkeys hanging off of me.
I wouldn't mind the 10 pm bedtime for him so much if he didn't wake up at 6 AM every morning.. And I need at least 30-60 minutes of "down time" in the evening before I can go to sleep.. And we are getting ready to have our second, and I need more sleep than that at night.

#28 of 35 Old 11-05-2010, 11:13 AM

Quote:

My child just stopped napping, he would get up, run around, laugh. If he goes down, he naps 15-20min, that's it. He sleeps about 10hrs at night.

If he does take a longer nap, he is up at night for hours. Some kids just don't need as much sleep as others. If he'd be all cranky and miserable, I'd change the situation, but I don't see the point of making a child taking naps, that does not need naps. Which is an ongoing discussion with care providers.

Mom since Oct'09. Wife to a loving husband. Expecting a little bean in May'12

#29 of 35 Old 11-05-2010, 06:22 PM

Yep. Another with kids who need less sleep than "they" say. Dd WAY less sleep than they say.

-Angela
#30 of 35 Old 11-05-2010, 06:31 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
ITs. a. miracle!! ds is napping right now. He fell asleep right at 1:04!! his previous NORMAL nap time! I don't think he's napped this early in over a month. I hope this sticks..

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page