Obsession with Toy Story 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 11-07-2010, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It's our fault for exposing him and encouraging it a little bit because it was cute, but how do we deal with our toddler's (he'll be three in February) obession with Toy Story 2? All he wants to do is watch this movie!

What are some other activities that we could do at home when it's too cold or dark to go outside?

Also, on a side note, what do you think of going TV free?

Please be nice. I'm feeling bad enough.

Hannah, Wife to R , Mama to Alexander, born 2-15-08,
and Gabriel, born 10-17-11. Ask me about cleft lip and palate!
signcirc1.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 11-07-2010, 08:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
there are tons and tons of toy story toys out right now. he is probably old enough for the toy story duplo, and over time would forget about toy story and just play with the duplos.

our 4 year old is obsessed with toy story 3, and we've been OK with getting him the toy story legos, because once he plays with them a few times, they end up in the other legos, and everyone is happy.
#3 of 9 Old 11-07-2010, 09:07 PM
mbm

DD went through a phase of asking to watch The Gruffalo 100 times a day. The phase did pass. Take heart!

I think TV free is a good idea in theory, but we are not TV free and you should not beat yourself up for not being TV free either. We do try to limit TV to one show/video per day, and are usually successful.

DD can often be distracted from wanting to watch TV by the prospect of nearly any other activity in which Mom or Dad is an active participant. When she sees us loafing around on our computers, that is when the cries for TV start.

It can be so, so exhausting to constantly engage her, though.
#4 of 9 Old 11-08-2010, 11:17 AM

Well we like to think we're TV-free but DS watches football with DH & he also very occassionally watches youtube videos. I started playing the videos in the background while I was working on the computer (and he didn't watch the videos, couldn't see them, just listen to them, which in my mind I thought would be 'better' than watching them) and now he is obsessed with youtube songs. Alllll day he asks to sit in my lap & watch me work & listen to youtube songs (and we can't even make it through a whole song, he wants a different song partway through). It drives me nuts & I want him to do other things (I wouldn't mind if he played while the music was on in the background, but he doesn't).

The only prevention for it is for me to not sit at the computer (kinda hard for multiple reasons)... so I would imagine it would be similar for the TV, if he doesn't have the opportunity & doesn't see mom & dad watching shows, maybe it won't be so compelling to him? But that's far from easy! Maybe you can put a strict limit on it? He can watch it once a day for X amount of time? He can watch it only while you're cooking dinner? And then try to keep him busy the rest of the day? Arts & crafts (playdough, coloring, gluing, stickers), music (singing, dancing, instruments, make your own instruments), playing outside when it's light out (plus nature hikes, I spy walks), story hours or toddler classes, 'cooking' (real or pretend), playdates, etc. Wow this sounds tiring just writing about it. That's what I really struggle with, I have all these great ideas but trying to keep up the momentum & continuing to provide that constant interaction is just sooo draining.

ETA: Where is the TV? Is it possible to have it in a room that you're not spending lots of time in during the day?

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#5 of 9 Old 11-08-2010, 12:08 PM

It will pass eventually, he won't want to be watching the same movie everyday until highschool . Six months ago we went through the same thing, except my daughter wanted to watch Harry and the Hendersons (you know, about the family who takes in a Big Foot ) all day every day. We told her she could watch it once a day only, and eventually she stopped asking to watch it so much. I agree with a pp, if I'm busy doing something my dd wants to watch tv, so I try and involve her in what I'm doing if I can (housework, cooking). Maybe you could get some Toy Story coloring books to keep him busy when you just don't want him watching any more tv? Or as a pp said, some Toy Story toys to play with?

And as for tv free, I think it's a really nice idea, but no way could my family do it. We all really enjoy movies and programs too much to give it up, and I'm comfortable with it in moderation. If you really want to try being tv free, then that's great, but don't beat yourself up if you don't want to give tv up.
#6 of 9 Old 11-08-2010, 12:15 PM

My dd2 will be three in Feb also. Her first very clear words were Buzz Lightyear, and all she wants to do is watch TS3 now that it's out (before that was TS1). DD1 went through the same tv thing at about the same age. We try to limit dd2 to 2 viewings a day. After the first, I tell her no more Buzz Lightyear until after her nap. Then, she usually plays with her Toy Story dolls - acting out various parts of the movie. She plays TS dress up, too. She was Jessie for Halloween and then when costumes went on clearance last week, I bought a few so she can be different characters. We make a spaceship out of couch cushions.
#7 of 9 Old 11-08-2010, 12:17 PM

At least it's not "Mary Poppins" I had THREE kids go through a Mary Poppins obsession. I think I could recite the whole movie from memory-frame by frame.

All I can say it "It will pass". Try to distract as best you can.
#8 of 9 Old 11-08-2010, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks everyone! Way to cheer a mama up!

I think limiting it to one viewing a day might work.

You're right- it's hard to stay super busy all day long! He's in a weird phase where he is having trouble sustaining play with toys.

Hannah, Wife to R , Mama to Alexander, born 2-15-08,
and Gabriel, born 10-17-11. Ask me about cleft lip and palate!
signcirc1.gif

#9 of 9 Old 11-08-2010, 09:55 PM

We are in a "Woody? Buzz?" phase right now, too. We just got all 3 movies on DVD so at least I can rotate them - but I hear you on the overload!

I think it's kinda cute, and I love that she knows the characters and relates to them. And they are pretty good movies...

I say just try to get thru it!!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page