sleep issues 17 months - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1 Old 11-10-2010, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Theo has been killing me slowly for 2 solid years now.  I had a miserable pregnancy, a semi-violent fast birth, he cried 4-8 hours out of the day for the first 10 months (when he started walking he cried less, but still has a couple days a week of crying 2-4 hours), I was suffering from PPD that I dismissed for almost a year as sleep deprivation, and the child doesn't sleep.  We swaddled him for over a year.  

I know that sleeping through the night is not  necessarily something to aspire to early on with a baby, but Theo has never slept more than 5 hours in a row (and the only times he has done that are the handful of times I have given him Benadryl out of desperation).  He typically sleeps 2 or 3 hours, wakes for 15 min to a couple of hours, and repeatedly wakes through the night screaming.  He is difficult to settle, often wakes Eden, and I am having a hard time even liking him!  I have stopped nursing him during the night because that was making me dislike him more.  He naps sometimes (every other day, maybe 10- 45 min).  He has never taken a morning nap (even when he was a little baby).  Today he didn't nap at all.  I figured out that on average, he is getting 7 hours of sleep a day!  That can not be enough!!   From what I read, the average 18 month old gets 13 hours.  When he does sleep, he is wild!  He thrashes, kicks, moans, and generally doesn't stop moving.  It doesn't look restful.

I guess, what I want to know is how can I help him rest?  Awake, he is wide open and super active.  He is generally happy (except for the crying times that turn off and on fairly suddenly) and curious.  He participates in everything we do and communicates well (though not verbally, he signs a lot and follows 2 part commands).  I feel like I am somehow failing him, like he has some need I am not meeting.  The actual bottom line, though is I haven't slept in 2 years.  I need sleep.  I need to like my son, I need to be rested so I can be nice to my family and so I can like sex again!

~Amy~ Wife to my best friend Brandon. Mama to my sweet girl Eden (11/6/06) and my little man Theo (6/25/09)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page