14.5 months still exclusively bf, REFUSES all solids... HELP - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-17-2010, 09:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Some ideas...

• Frozen breastmilk slushies
  • Will she take a bottle? I've had the hardest time keeping breastfeeding going with my youngest because she figured out that bottles flow faster.
  • Getting out of the house for snacks--change of scenery
  • Playdates with other babies where she can see them eating snacks
  • Let someone else care for baby while you get some sleep; if YOU are not around, will she stop thinking about breastmilk long enough to try something else? Sometimes younger babies will take a bottle only if it's not from mom and if mom is not around.

Tamara: Aspiring doula, partner to Brazilian musician, mom to THREE GIRLIES!
(4/01, 6/07, & 12/09)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2010, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolyn_mtl View Post

I really just wish someone could promise me she is perfectly fine and that she will be eating solids soon...

My DS who ate no more than 1-3 TINY bites a day until 16-17mos old is now 22mos old and eats a ton more (though still erratically, and still less than his peers). If there are no obvious medical/developmental/sensory issues then I'm sure she will start eating whenever she is ready!! I didn't go back & re-read the thread so maybe you already try this regularly, I don't remember, but if possible, have someone else give her food, especially with you out of the house but even with you home. DS eats tons more for DH than he does for me, I guess because he'd still just rather have breastmilk! And I will second the pp's suggestions as well, those are all things that helped us a ton. Also around 17-18mos I stopped nursing on demand -- I just couldn't take it anymore -- I still nurse MOST of the time when he asks but there are times when I tell him no. This really was a big part of getting him to eat more, though it took some time for him to get used to...

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
Old 12-19-2010, 08:14 PM

I know it can be such a big worry when your little one just doesn't eat. My two and a half year old didn't start eating properly until she was 2 and I agonized over it so much. The only advice I could offer is try not to worry. I actually suspect that it is perfectly normal and imagine that in some cultures where extended bf is the norm this kind of thing is probably very common. The difficulty is the comparison, looking at other children wolfing down plates of dinner when your child wont eat so much as a pea is very difficult. Try not to pay too much attention to doctors advice on what and how much she should be eating, she just prefers booby right now and will come round to solids in her own time. Try to put your fear aside and trust her. Good luck

Old 12-19-2010, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Nickysan - Thank you for that!

Some days I don't worry at all, thinking that she just isnt ready yet, and she will eventually eat.. other times, I totally freak out. I am just worried that her lack of food is affecting her growth. I am 5'9" and my dh is just over 6 feet, and at 15.5 months dd is around 29.5 inches (maybe not even?) She is also about 18.5 lbs, and was 17.8 at 12 months.. thats not much growth!

I left her with dh yesterday, and she went 8 hours without eating! He tried to give her pumped milk from many different bottles / sippy / regular cups. She wouldn't drink it. She's never used a bottle, I was constantly on the search for one she might like.. He offered her all sorts of foods, she didn't ingest anything (she did chew on arrowroot cookies, but spat them out). So, even if she has a small appetite, one would assume a child who eat almost hourly would be HUNGRY after 7 or 8 hours! Obviously when I got home she nursed like crazy... We might try it again tomorrow, (dh is now on vacation!) she seems more interested in bottles today.. if I could at least get her drinking pumped milk from a bottle, I could stock up the freezer and know she had food in the event something terrible happened to me... 

Carolyn, married to M, momma to K (09/'09) and C (04/'12).
Old 12-19-2010, 11:28 PM

I had some problems with DD eating solids also, a little different but your mentioning the chewing everything except food really stood out to me!

DD was the same way, she chewed the coffee table so much we had to put a bumper cover on it and we found her with her mouth on everything!  Anyway, we ended up going through some OT with her and one of the things we did seemed to stop the gnawing on everything.

We gave her a vibrating teether, a textured spoon and another textured teether.

I would put her in a highchair, give her the vibrating teether and also have the food on the tray for her to play with.  Using the teether seemed to stimulate her wanting to eat and she would put things in her mouth.  The 1st foods we were successful with her eating were spicy, like Indian food, again some stimulation there, I guess to the taste buds. The textured spoon was kind of flat but the bumps on it would hold some liquid somehow no matter which way it was turned.  So I put soup or something on it and she would start teething with it and get a taste of it in her mouth.

Another thing she liked was the heel of a hard loaf of bread.  I guess it was enough like wood for her to eat, lol.

She told us to feed her in the highchair, not let her run around like we usually do and sit with her and eat at the same time. 

Good luck, I know it is frustrating. 

Deb, Mom to Madeleine 8/2005 and Maia 11/2009 Nick: and Chris
Old 12-21-2010, 09:14 AM

I just wanted to say that you are not alone and from reading the other posts there are also several good ideas.  Giving her time with your DH helps.  My DS definitely eats less if it is only him and I at the table because he knows he can nurse. And, since dc are so in tune with our emotions, they pick up on the anxiety, even if it is very little, and react in different ways.  I have also stopped nursing on demand as much and it has helped our relationship since he now seems to understand that we as parents have needs to it feels that in this way we also honor DS being a human being with his own capacities. 

The suggestions from <slinkyfish> earlier are very helpful to us with DS at 131/2 months. The Child of Mine book is really great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinkyfish View Post

So I did two things that really helped -- one, I read Child Of Mine: Feeding With Love and Good Sense by Ellyn Satter (amazing, practical, Get-Me-Through-This-NOW advice).  This really helped me take the pressure off of eating/feeding times.  And two -- I gave my DD eating buddies.  Sitting with two other toddlers also in high chairs, watching them eat the same food really had a positive peer-pressure effect on her.  It was great for my friends too to come over. 

-c

Old 12-21-2010, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickysan View Post

I know it can be such a big worry when your little one just doesn't eat. My two and a half year old didn't start eating properly until she was 2 and I agonized over it so much. The only advice I could offer is try not to worry. I actually suspect that it is perfectly normal and imagine that in some cultures where extended bf is the norm this kind of thing is probably very common. The difficulty is the comparison, looking at other children wolfing down plates of dinner when your child wont eat so much as a pea is very difficult. Try not to pay too much attention to doctors advice on what and how much she should be eating, she just prefers booby right now and will come round to solids in her own time. Try to put your fear aside and trust her. Good luck

I am sorry to hear you are still worried about your little one.  I think the above post has alot of wisdom in it.  I spoon fed my first and she started eating solids in earnest at 7mos.  I decided I was done with spoon feeding, so my second was given food to self feed.  She didn't start eating solids until 11 mos, but she has a ton of food allergies so I figured that was why.  Now, my baby was given table food starting at about 10mos and as I posted earlier in this thread she didn't eat anything.  It is just now, within the past 2 weeks that she is actually eating (although still spitting out a decent amount).  So, she starting ingesting solids at about 13.5 months.  So, since she has no allergies I started to wonder the same thing that nickysan wrote.  It makes a lot of sense to me.  It doesn't mean that the mom whose child starts eating solids in earnest at 6 months is doing anything wrong, but just that each child is different and if left to develop at their own pace the normal range will be a lot wider than we are led to believe.

My opinion is that one day, all of a sudden your lo is going to surprise you and just start chowing down.  Like the child that has no words and then all of a sudden starts talking in complete sentences :)  

Beth wife to Tom and mommy to Therese 11/4/04 Anna Mary 6/15/07 and Veronica 10/20/09

User Tag List