Probiotics for a 19 month old? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 11-16-2010, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 19 month DS is having some issues with constipation.  I have heard that a probiotic may help.  I was wondering what brand and dosage other people have used?  I know that it is best to take in between meals.  How do you get it into them, if not with food?  

#2 of 7 Old 11-16-2010, 09:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'm not sure about the dosage, you'll have to read the bottle.  However, I have given my son pro-biotics that are made for kids.  Whole foods has them in their vitamin section, they're chewable and easy to eat.  I always just gave him 1-2 depending on the dosage of the bottle.  It's always worth a shot and certainly won't hurt anything.

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11.  We are planning our next adventure to South America in April 2014!
#3 of 7 Old 11-17-2010, 07:50 AM

I use probiotics ( http://www.inno-vite.com/en3/products/Probiotics/detail.php?prod_id=AD-09-05&cat_id=4) with my dd (2 and 10 months old). Started using them when she self weaned at 21 months. I usually add it to yogurt or a smoothie at breakfast.

My daughter is incredibly "regular", and has never experienced constipation... but i actually don't credit the probiotics for that as much as the fats in her diet. I add olive oil, coconut oil, or butter to everything i offer her/make for her, and a lot of it!  I've noticed that olive oil seems to have the greatest "effect" in this area.

Mother caffix.gif to DD born Jan 2008 and DS born Nov 2011. 

#4 of 7 Old 11-17-2010, 09:45 AM

I hear activa works great.  If you can do dairy, if not, try silk yogurt, if your cool with soy.  We do one of those a day.  (My non-allergic son just has a regular yogurt once a day) and they both are VERY regular.  lol.gif

#5 of 7 Old 11-17-2010, 09:50 AM

We use a chewable probiotic. It says 2+ on it but I was comfortable using it eariler since my 18 month old was 32 lbs.

#6 of 7 Old 11-17-2010, 11:38 AM

I've been giving my now 19 month old "culterelle" on a semi-regular basis since he was 9 months old. He contracted some sort of bacterial illness (one of those ones the dept of health tracks & interviews parents about), and gave it to him on his doctors recommendation . Cleared it up within a day or two. I probably give it to him 3 times a week. His doc said the adult dosage is fine and he's had no issue from it. I break open the capsule, and put the powder either in applesauce or a kefir smoothie.
#7 of 7 Old 11-17-2010, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the great info. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page