Ideas for Christmas - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-23-2010, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My girl turns 1 right after Christmas, so we are trying to do some of our gift giving looking out into the next year...

Only problem is that when I talk to extended family (who will buy gifts and be around to see them used) they talk about her being ready for toys with lots of lights and music. Not exactly our style.

So I am looking for suggestions for ourselves and to pass along for great toys for one years olds.  If some of them could be available at mainstream venues, all the better.  I just have a vision of my house being full of battery requiring, blinking, squeling, junk.  And like I said the family all lives in town so there is no putting it in the basement till they comeover!

Thanks!

Due January 23rd with my
Missing Asa James, born into this world 11-17-08 and into the next 12-25-08
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2010, 08:50 AM

people will reply & tell you to ask for memberships to local zoos etc but i know some family members want to buy something they will see your lo play with-it brings them joy & you can only guide people so much with gift giving.  

so just a few actual toy ideas...while not the considered the "best" here, the melissa & doug toys are very, VERY accessible nowadays.  all mainstream stores carry some & then specialized shops like your local toy seller, learning express & even ac moore carry lots more.  their chunky wood puzzles & play food are nice.  they have so many items so you should just look online & see if you like anything. there is always hype about their paint recalls but from what i have learned, they are super on top of it.  it stinks they are mic though.

green toys are pretty accessible too & dd2 (almost 10 mos) loves playing with dd1s tea set.  their stuff is fun in the tubby too...

we love plan toys & haba toys here but they are more expensive for the most part & couldn't be found at toys r us so there were some family members who just wouldn't get those.

plain wood blocks-toys r us carries an eco friendly set (their own brand) & m&d too.  

if you have an ikea-there are some great, cheap, wood toys there too.

if they still want to get the typical stuff, maybe ask for some little people stuff?  very mainstream, but not too loud or flashy.  mostly just pretend play...

international playthings is another brand that tends to be more low key, somewhat safe (safer plastics) & all that...& their stuff can be found in many stores.  check out their site & you can see some of their brands...

http://www.intplay.com/

this is something of theirs we got when dd1 was 15 mos or so & it is still getting lots of love in our house

http://www.intplay.com/productdetails.aspx?pid=3661

Stephanie~hippie.gifwife to Dov, mama to Ella Irie (9/24/07) & Kaya Raine (2/1/10)~our vbac.gifbaby, born 45 hours after PROM!!!
Old 11-23-2010, 09:42 AM

yeahthat.gif

i think its a great idea to give folks ideas for non-electronic toys.  our daughter just had her first birthday and got a *ton* of battery-operated plastic junk.  oy, the noises some of that stuff makes!  (we've had to hide many of the toys in the closets!!)

in addition to some of the ideas from the pp'er, target sells a brand of toys called B.Toys - they have a fun drum/music set that my dd loves and some fun cars that she'll wind up and chase for hours!  they also sell a bag of toy bugs that link together (i couldnt find them online) - she carries those bugs around all. the. time.

i think wood sorting toys and early puzzles are fun too.

good luck!

Old 11-23-2010, 09:53 AM

some fun ideas that will grow with her:

Baby dolls

stroller

little blanket

Little people

ABC blocks )the wooden square kind)

Peg Puzzles (have little knobby handles)

Mega blocks/duplo

Pop up play tents

balls

ride on toy

small slide for indoors

shape sorter

simple art supplies chubby crayons, markers, construction paper, tempra  paint , chubby brushes

Old 11-23-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abeecharmer View Post

in addition to some of the ideas from the pp'er, target sells a brand of toys called B.Toys - 

yes...the b toys line was the parents line of toys & their busy zoo activity cube has been great!  we are thinking og their drs kit for our 3 yo this year too.

good one-i forgot about dolls-we are getting our lo one of these corolle dolls- http://www.corolle.com/us/catalogue/fiche_pdt.php5?ref=00583

i tried soft dolls with dd1 but all she wanted was the plastic head/face dolls her cousins had. dolls from corolle that are for 18 mos & under are free of pvc etc. so i could get a realistic baby w/out bad plastic.   

Stephanie~hippie.gifwife to Dov, mama to Ella Irie (9/24/07) & Kaya Raine (2/1/10)~our vbac.gifbaby, born 45 hours after PROM!!!
Old 11-23-2010, 04:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Does your DD like books? You could ask for copies of some of the lovely classic children's books - The Very Hungry Caterpillar, Peepo, The Baby's Catalogue, Hairy Maclary, Animalia, one of those children's books of classic paintings, etc. They're a nice gift to give, too, because the givers can then read it to DD and see her appreciate it!

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

Old 11-24-2010, 05:20 AM

The animals in Little People sets smell like 'shower curtain' to me..... anyone know if they contain, PVC?

Old 11-24-2010, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks mamas for all the ideas!  Its nice to have a centralized location for quality, creative gift ideas for the family!

I actually gently brought some of these up last night as things I'd like her to have and they were well received! YEAAAAAAAAA!

Due January 23rd with my
Missing Asa James, born into this world 11-17-08 and into the next 12-25-08

User Tag List