Fun activities for 13 month old? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 11-29-2010, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi, mamas! As the title says, I'm looking for some activities to do indoors with our 13 month old DD. It's getting colder now, so treks through the woods and going out to do things will be cut to a minimum. She has toys that she plays with and she plays music on metal mixing bowls and with our african drums, we dance, we chase eachother all over the house, but honestly when it comes to coming up with new activities that she'd enjoy, I just have a giant brain fart and nothing happens. Any suggestions? I don't want her to get bored, and I'd like to start some new activities that DH and I can do with her (I'm not so worried about getting messy... DH is a little anal). Thanks in advance!

CDing, BFing, CSing, Loving mama to Maya Lily (10/15/2009), and married to my best friend on October 31, 2009!
#2 of 13 Old 11-29-2010, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone? :)

CDing, BFing, CSing, Loving mama to Maya Lily (10/15/2009), and married to my best friend on October 31, 2009!
#3 of 13 Old 11-29-2010, 10:44 AM

i just read an article about "free activities for toddlers" and it suggested things like going to the local library for story time, checking online for local toy stores if they have any acivities coming up. look up a community center and see about getting a membership. if your kid is anything like mine, finding a swimming class would be ideal!!

when we were stuck in the house for winter time i made sure we read lots of books, listened to music. sometimes we went to the mall to play in the playland. gosh, now i can't really remember what we did! good luck!

K, wifey to M, PROUD SAH-mama to Catherine Grace
Had a dreamy VBAC waterbirth.jpg to handsome John Gabriel
Crazy about femalesling.GIF  cd.gif familybed2.gif

#4 of 13 Old 11-29-2010, 10:45 AM

Cooking? not like actually at the stove, but she could help shape cookie dough and decorate. Edible play doh. Coloring (DS is 12 months + 1 week and just figured out scribbling) Finger paint (could do this with yogurt in case babe eats it) . . ."help" you clean or whatever you need to do around the house. Since I work from home, DS spends a lot of time on independent play, I wish I had more time to just dance and run around with him!

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#5 of 13 Old 11-29-2010, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hi Mayasmama88! I've been working with toddlers full-time for the past five years, so I have lots of games up my sleeve!

Kids this age LoveLoveLove the game of peekaboo.  There are lots of different ways to play it, different moods, etc.  There are some very fun peekaboo songs in the songbook w/ CD Sing A Song With Baby, by Mary Thiennes-Schunemann.  In fact, there are tons of fun little finger-games, peeking games, tickle games, etc.  You can find it at http://naturallyyoucansing.com/books/ .  My other favorite book of hers (she was my singing teacher in my LifeWays early childhood training) is This Is the Way We Wash-A-Day.  At 13 months, kids start to love to "help" you with whatever you are doing.  So if you sweep the floor every day, get a little broom that she can sweep with, too, and sing a song or say a nursery rhyme while you do it.  Kids this age love helping to fold the laundry: they can (with a little practice and help) pick out all of the washcloths and lay them flat in a pile.  And they can carry small stacks of laundry to put them away.  They can 'help' set the table (if they can reach it), one piece of silverware at a time.  And they LOVE to help wash the dishes!  Put on a painting smock for dishwashing, if you have one.  Baking is also a fun activity that she'll probably enjoy, but you have to be organized and gather all of the ingredients that you'll need before you get started, otherwise things can get messy.  You can look for more ideas on my blog, http://joyfultoddlers.blogspot.com/ .  Your daughter is on the young end of my spectrum (it's geared towards ages 1-5), but lots of things can be simplified down for the little ones.  Kids at this age are just starting to want to imitate older kids, so if she's into that, make a playdate with a friend who has a three-year-old.  3yo's usually love 'babies' this age.

But most of all, do things you enjoy, and have fun!

#6 of 13 Old 11-29-2010, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Yay! These are great ideas, mamas! I will definitely have to do the play-do and cookie making stuff. I've been wanting to make the play-do for awhile now, but I haven't gotten around to it yet (i.e; I've been a little lazy). ;) And I never even thought about using yogurt to make paint out of! My DD likes to put everything in her mouth, so that'd probably be better than regular paint. I think I sometimes assume that DD is "too young" still to help with certain things, but at the rate she's learning, and some of the ways she's been imitating us lately, I believe I've changed my mind!

#7 of 13 Old 11-29-2010, 06:53 PM

Bathtime is still a favorite around here with my 13 month old.

And we do go outside, dressed warm

The library is a great place to go, they have  play area; story time starts for kids 2 years and up.

Some moms near here joined a music together group.

Inside the house we read (books from the library)

We have cushions laid out to climb on, a mini slide from ikea.

He got a new carseat which he plays in.

Pots and pants for drumming, while I cook.

Taking apart my spice cabinet, while I cook.

Pouring things from one container to the other.

A rice bin, which he sits in and digs for treasures (or throws it around).

Cars, balls and more.

Mom since Oct'09. Wife to a loving husband. Expecting a little bean in May'12

#8 of 13 Old 11-29-2010, 07:09 PM

cant find the popcorn eating smiley lol im watching this thread

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#9 of 13 Old 11-30-2010, 07:52 AM

my little guy loves to help with the laundry.

I'm loving these ideas.

How do you get the little ones at the sink so they can help wash dishes?

:
#10 of 13 Old 11-30-2010, 08:18 AM

other than put them in the sink, I have no idea! I don't trust mine on a stool yet. maybe if I had one of those nice barstools with a back and arms I could.

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#11 of 13 Old 11-30-2010, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We have a stool that's high enough. At 13 months I stand behind them and wash dishes with my arms around them.  Not super effective for washing dishes, but very fun as an activity!  When they're older (18 months or so) I'll stand next to them and put a foot up on the lower step of the stool so my knee is against their backs (does that make sense?).  By the time they're two they can stand next to me on the stool by themselves.

Otherwise, you can get three wash-tubs and put them on a towel on the floor: one with soapy water, one with clean water, and one to hold clean dishes.  Since I have a group, I usually do this outside as a summertime activity, but with one kid you could do it inside in the winter.  In my experience, kids love anything having to do with water!

#12 of 13 Old 11-30-2010, 02:15 PM

Sounds like everything you are already doing is great! At that age, DS was more baby than toddler (wasn't walking or standing yet), but I found he was most content with very simple activities, just sitting on floor and playing with blocks, looking at books, etc.

joy.giflurk.gif

#13 of 13 Old 11-30-2010, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by belltree View Post

A rice bin, which he sits in and digs for treasures (or throws it around).

I see this whole rice/bean play thing online and it intrigues me but... I just can't imagine my son (18 mos) NOT eating it. Does your DS try to eat it or do they 'get' that it's for playing once it's out? I foresee a huge mess too but I guess rice could be easily swept up if we did it in the kitchen while I cooked so that's not really a problem.

Madalyn military wife to Chris & proud momma to Jonas 5/17/09

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page