super engaging gift idea for 14mos old? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 11-29-2010, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My son will be 14.5 months old at Christmas time.  What are some gift ideas that are engaging for that age group?

I've bought him a playmobil123 little truck and garage with shapes that fit through the roof and drop into the back of the truck but I am looking for something else to add with it.  

I've looked at the toy store but feel so overwhelmed - half of it looks like junk and the other half looks like fun but for the price I wonder how long he'll actually play with it for.

Any suggestions?

#2 of 7 Old 11-29-2010, 08:29 PM

My son just turned 17 months today and these are his favorite toys:

Montgomery Schoolhouse cars

Plan Toys play food

Play Kitchen

This Zany Zoo (better pictures here)

Play scarves (sorry no link)

#3 of 7 Old 11-30-2010, 07:32 AM

We have something similar to the zany zoo (got it from a thrift store, I think it's the Maxim cube?) and DS loved that from about 14-18mos but has since grown out of it -- but the top comes off so now we store his blocks in it so it still gets lots of use!

DS also loved something like this for months but I guess it's just too easy/simplistic for him now http://www.amazon.com/Melissa-Doug-Shape-Sorting-Cube/dp/B00005RF5G/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1291130748&sr=1-1

The thing he uses most right now (at 21mos) & that seems to have the most long-term play value is his little metal pots and pans (we're hoping he'll get a play kitchen for Christmas) and his tool set (just a cheap plastic tool set that includes power tools etc., like the Black & Decker ones, we got it second-hand but he loves it so much that I'm thinking of replacing it with a more sturdy wooden set when this one is too worn out). With the pots & pans he likes to pour dry beans & get spices out of our cabinets to pretend to spice them, and of course pretend to eat. He plays with his tools all day long, finding screws around the house to 'tighten' and pretending to cut his wooden blocks.

He also loves little animals & mid-size/large cars & trucks. We have a couple wooden cars (about 12") and he puts his little 2" animals in them & drives them around.

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#4 of 7 Old 12-01-2010, 05:21 AM
tzs

the one thing that dd plays with the most...like all...the...time....is her riding toy. also anything that can be pushed around. we have a big metal tonka-style dump truck that she pushes around and gathers things to put in the back of it. 

Reluctant 'Sconie, chassid and mama to sweet toughie Ada Bluma 9/9/09 and loving pittie-mix ("Judge the deed, not the breed!")
#5 of 7 Old 12-01-2010, 01:41 PM

I suppose it really depends on what kind of kid your LO is. . .some like toys that go, some toys that make noise, etc.

But my son is 14m and these are his favs right now:

--Melissa and Doug tool box/kit  (he loves anything with parts/things that fit together, they also make a pound-a-peg board that has fewer small parts, but similar idea)

--musical toys (current fav is a xylophone)

--pull back cars 

--hand puppets

--toy food/kitchen stuff (love the Plan toys stuff)

--lift-the-flap books

He loves anything with parts/lids/stacking, anything on wheels, and anything musical.

For Xmas we are getting him this: http://www.amazon.com/Radio-Flyer-Classic-Tiny-Trike/dp/B00005BRNH/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1291239638&sr=8-10

photosmile2.gif Me= crunchy mama to one rambunctious toddler, born on October 1, 2009. And one sweet little baby born January 19, 2012. heartbeat.gif

#6 of 7 Old 12-01-2010, 05:08 PM

The only thing that will engage DD for a while is blocks. She can sit for over half an hour building tower after tower, and that's the only time she sits. It's a present that grows with them because he can start knocking them over now!

Wig wearing mommy to (06/12/09) 
#7 of 7 Old 12-01-2010, 06:34 PM
tzs

Quote:
Originally Posted by omelette View Post

My son will be 14.5 months old at Christmas time.  What are some gift ideas that are engaging for that age group?

I've bought him a playmobil123 little truck and garage with shapes that fit through the roof and drop into the back of the truck but I am looking for something else to add with it.  

I've looked at the toy store but feel so overwhelmed - half of it looks like junk and the other half looks like fun but for the price I wonder how long he'll actually play with it for.

Any suggestions?

we JUST got that playmobil thing for chanukah tonight from the grandparents.....love it and so does she!!!!

Reluctant 'Sconie, chassid and mama to sweet toughie Ada Bluma 9/9/09 and loving pittie-mix ("Judge the deed, not the breed!")

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page