What do your toddlers REALLY play with? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 56 Old 12-06-2010, 12:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My DD is almost 13 months and she likes her rocking horse. Our huge rocking chair (even though she has her own) and this little cart from ikea. But she sits in it and wants to be pushed around the house. I am getting her a wheely bug for Christmas. She'll love it! She also plays with her doll but right now she mostly carries it around and kisses her head. Anything else she just explores and manipulates. .. Taking things in and out, opening things if she can and of course chewing on everything. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 56 Old 12-06-2010, 01:42 PM

I have a 4 yr old daughter and a 4m  old son.

I don't really remember the moment when my daughter became a big kid so there is a blurred line between those categories for my list.  She continues to play with the transition toys as well as some of the younger toys.

Baby- Sophie, soft books, ball (safe for chewing on, blanket (for tummy time,peekaboo and cuddling),  big kid tooth brush for chewing on, spoon, chime garden,  simple car to chew on and play with,  piano/key board,  Music cd's,  a few cuddly toys (implore relatives to leave these choices  to you or you will have a giant collection.),  mirror, mesh basket for foods like apple pieces, 

Toddler-board books, something to ride on, something to push, something to pull (wagon, dog on wheels, a backpack on wheels), silky scarves from thrift store (being cautious about strangulation), a box with a lid for putting things in,  a box big enough to crawl into,  one or two baby dolls,  tunnel,  something to pound on, shape sorter, stacking ring and cups, jack in the box,  wagon to be pulled in,   simple wooden puzzles, purse, toy phone,  wallet, toy keys,  drinking cup,  a spiral tower that a ball rolls down,

Transition- kitchen set,  table with chairs, baby cradle, baby stroller,  "Hi Ho Cheerio", "The Lady Bug Game", "Memory",  guess who, crayons, play dough,  paint, a toy broom,  drum, piano/keyboard, shakers,  harmonica, kazoo, the mechanism from a wind-up music box, Blocks,  24 piece puzzles to play with mom and dad,   view finder,  bean bag for sport and pretend play,  Journal to doodle in while mommy writes in her journal,  play food, toy lap top (my baby boy Loves this too), tap shoes from a garage sale (use caution as these can be slippery),  spinning top,

"Big Kid"- balance bike(we actually had a tricycle that she loved but I wish we had gotten a balance bike instead or as well),  small mugs, plates and other great finds from the thrift store,  books,  craft making kits to play with an adult, "Go Fish" with regular playing cards (great for learning numbers),  Play Mobile toys and figures,  flash light,  bag or purse,  jewelry box with play jewelry,  dress up clothes from the Halloween sales at "Once Upon a Child",  A plant that she choose and takes care of,   beads and string or pipe cleaners,  a cooking apron for helping in the kitchen, a bicycle, a basket for her bicycle, cars,  off brand Thomas train tracks and trains,  a face watch,  more complex puzzles, slinky,  Plan Toys Balancing Cactus (2 of them makes this more fun and challenging), silk flowers for play kitchen and dress up games, wand and crown,  kid scissors,  mom's old digital camera, ,  easel, 

Starting to be interested in- yo-yo, remote control car,  Legos,

#33 of 56 Old 12-06-2010, 02:03 PM

DD is also 21 mos.  The only things she plays with independently are her marching band, her little people blocks, and some books.

#34 of 56 Old 12-06-2010, 02:20 PM

My daughter is nearly 34 months old and loves two things above all others

--her baby, and anything that goes with it (baby bathtub, diapers, crib, stroller, bottle greensad.gif )

--her kitchen, pots, pans, food, dishes, etc

So, I guess she's falling firmly into feminine gender roles.  It depresses me a little until I realize she's just doing what I do.  We cook and bake a lot, and she has a baby sister, so she's just mimicking me.  At least that's what I tell myself :)

Mom to a sunny toddler and a snoozy baby
#35 of 56 Old 12-07-2010, 11:25 AM

Another thing they play with is the Leapfrog Scribble and Write. Teaches how to write letters and shapes, and I believe it retails for around $20. Great for car rides too!

Blessed Mama to DD 10/4/06 and DS 7/08/08
#36 of 56 Old 12-07-2010, 07:09 PM

At 16 months, DS plays with :

recycling:  makes towers and knows them over, puts containers one inside the other, looks at flyers, put lids on, etc

mirrors: he LOVES to make faces at himself

balls: He throws them, but mainly likes to have them thrown at him ;)

stacking toys (blocks, rings, recycling):  mainly for stacking, but also for lining up, dropping into/out of things

books: He will sit and look at books on his own for 15 minutes, or he will point at pictures and ask me to name it

Zany zoo: He just loves to move those beads around

puzzles: he's *just* starting to get what puzzles are all about

shape sorter

#37 of 56 Old 12-07-2010, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theresa42 View Post

I have a 4 yr old daughter and a 4m  old son.

I don't really remember the moment when my daughter became a big kid so there is a blurred line between those categories for my list.  She continues to play with the transition toys as well as some of the younger toys.

Baby- Sophie, soft books, ball (safe for chewing on, blanket (for tummy time,peekaboo and cuddling),  big kid tooth brush for chewing on, spoon, chime garden,  simple car to chew on and play with,  piano/key board,  Music cd's,  a few cuddly toys (implore relatives to leave these choices  to you or you will have a giant collection.),  mirror, mesh basket for foods like apple pieces, 

Toddler-board books, something to ride on, something to push, something to pull (wagon, dog on wheels, a backpack on wheels), silky scarves from thrift store (being cautious about strangulation), a box with a lid for putting things in,  a box big enough to crawl into,  one or two baby dolls,  tunnel,  something to pound on, shape sorter, stacking ring and cups, jack in the box,  wagon to be pulled in,   simple wooden puzzles, purse, toy phone,  wallet, toy keys,  drinking cup,  a spiral tower that a ball rolls down,

Transition- kitchen set,  table with chairs, baby cradle, baby stroller,  "Hi Ho Cheerio", "The Lady Bug Game", "Memory",  guess who, crayons, play dough,  paint, a toy broom,  drum, piano/keyboard, shakers,  harmonica, kazoo, the mechanism from a wind-up music box, Blocks,  24 piece puzzles to play with mom and dad,   view finder,  bean bag for sport and pretend play,  Journal to doodle in while mommy writes in her journal,  play food, toy lap top (my baby boy Loves this too), tap shoes from a garage sale (use caution as these can be slippery),  spinning top,

"Big Kid"- balance bike(we actually had a tricycle that she loved but I wish we had gotten a balance bike instead or as well),  small mugs, plates and other great finds from the thrift store,  books,  craft making kits to play with an adult, "Go Fish" with regular playing cards (great for learning numbers),  Play Mobile toys and figures,  flash light,  bag or purse,  jewelry box with play jewelry,  dress up clothes from the Halloween sales at "Once Upon a Child",  A plant that she choose and takes care of,   beads and string or pipe cleaners,  a cooking apron for helping in the kitchen, a bicycle, a basket for her bicycle, cars,  off brand Thomas train tracks and trains,  a face watch,  more complex puzzles, slinky,  Plan Toys Balancing Cactus (2 of them makes this more fun and challenging), silk flowers for play kitchen and dress up games, wand and crown,  kid scissors,  mom's old digital camera, ,  easel, 

Starting to be interested in- yo-yo, remote control car,  Legos,

THIS, this has been so helpful to me in doing shopping today! I'm trying to stay away from making this holiday too materialistic, but at the same time DD was really due for some new toys. She's in the toddler stage, but I think she gets a kick out of some of the transitional stuff as well. Thank you! I'm getting her some more blocks, a broom/dust pan set, a blue baby stroller, lacing cards, and maybe a harmonica or a drum.

#38 of 56 Old 12-07-2010, 08:45 PM

27.5 months old, but I'll think back to before she turned 2:

dressing up (really took off when we bought a couple of hats)

memory cards (likes looking through them and naming the pictures)

stacking ring with rainbow rings

backgammon (rolling dice stacking pieces)

shape sorter (likes stacking the blocks)

blocks

"pinching game" which is sugar tongs and rolled up bits of foil

oh! and the fishing game was her favorite at that age and she still likes it. Found the idea on a blog, you print out pictures of fish and tape paper clips to the back, then you put a magnet on a string and the string on a stick to be a fishing pole. We catch the fish and put them in our "aquarium" (the little bowl that stores them when the game is put away)

We finally (FINALLY!) got this bouncy dog thing for her birthday. Should've bought it as soon as she showed an interest (~20months) because she loves loves loves bouncing and this dog thing http://www.amazon.com/Wahoo-Marky-Sprarky-Colors-Vary/dp/B002OU02TI found it! is very stable and sized so she can climb on by herself.

at that age she also liked to have me take the spices out of the cupboard and let her smell them. I've made her her own set since.

#39 of 56 Old 12-07-2010, 08:58 PM

dd is 3 1/2.  her current faves are:

books

puzzles (the 48-100 piece range)

her tricycle

her soccer ball

tinker toys

her crayons/colored pencils/coloring books

sand toys

this

these

this

and dressing up

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

#40 of 56 Old 12-08-2010, 07:10 AM

dd is 13 months old.  of all the toys and whatnot around the house, she is obsessed.. obsessed!  with a little tiny toy broom.  she plays with it every single day for several hours.  she 'helps' us clean and then she does some batting balls around hockey style.  i can't overemphasize how much she loves that little broom.

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#41 of 56 Old 12-08-2010, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakfastyMichele View Post

My daughter is nearly 34 months old and loves two things above all others

--her baby, and anything that goes with it (baby bathtub, diapers, crib, stroller, bottle greensad.gif )

--her kitchen, pots, pans, food, dishes, etc

So, I guess she's falling firmly into feminine gender roles.  It depresses me a little until I realize she's just doing what I do.  We cook and bake a lot, and she has a baby sister, so she's just mimicking me.  At least that's what I tell myself :)

those are only 'feminine gender roles' if you make them be.  my dh cooks and cleans and does lots of baby stuff.  give her the chance to watch some dudes cook too, if you have a dude handy.  ;)

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#42 of 56 Old 12-08-2010, 08:34 AM

My DD is 26 months.  She currently loves her art easel, particularly the chalkboard part, and gets really excited when we use the paper and paints.  She also adores very simple puzzles (the kind that don't have interlocking pieces, but a separate part for each number, letter, animal, shape)-when left to her own devices this is her go to toy, leggos and blocks (she builds castles and "pyramids" ;), a tea set, and occasionally her doll.  She also loves to play hide and seek, tamborines, drums (small bongos), shaker type instruments, and an electronic keyboard.  She really loves to play music along with the tv or a CD and to have mom and dad play too.  She also has a play kitchen that she likes in spurts, and cups and water in the sink brings her great joy!  For a while we had a big cardboard box her new carseat came in and that would entertain her for long periods. 

#43 of 56 Old 12-08-2010, 09:59 AM

I noticed most people already posted my recommendation of books, but I'll reiterate it, since you just can't go wrong with books thumb.gif  They key is to find books about things that interest them; trains and dinosaurs always pretty popular.  I use a website called www.littleonebooks.com to pick out books for my niece, since they separate the products by age. 

#44 of 56 Old 12-08-2010, 01:17 PM

DD is 29 months, so she's a lot older, but when she was about 2 she started seriously, intensively "playing pretend" by herself.  She was happy with any kind of "guy" - little people, action figures, dolls, animals, anything.  She's not picky about what they are, as long as she can have them act out scenarios.  We got her a Calico Critters kitchen set with like 60 pieces for her 2nd birthday that she loves, and continues to love.  Anything she can play pretend with.

She also loved/s toy cell phones and toy strollers -these two are big hits!

Charlotte, mommy to Maggie (July 15th 2008) and Una (July 19th 2011)!
#45 of 56 Old 12-08-2010, 01:27 PM

DD is 2.5 and she really likes playing with her kitchen, eeBoo memory animals and eeBoo puzzle. She loves to "read"  books. She's memorized a lot of her favorites. Oh, she has an Elmo learn to dress book that she really enjoys. We donated a lot of her older toys because she stopped playing with them so we replenished her supply for the holidays. Arts and crafts is a big thing with her. A crayon or pen so seh can draw circles and lines and coloring books is huge for her.

#46 of 56 Old 12-09-2010, 08:59 AM

My 21 month old has two older brothers, so she is exposed to lots of toys that are beyond her age.  It also makes it tough to know what to get her, we have a toy kitchen, little people, legos of every size, dress up clothes, puzzles, books, playmobil, cars, musical instruments, etc. etc.  What she really seems to like playing with are books, little people/playmobil figures, things that play music, toy cell phones and balls.  I've been so caught up in buying for her brothers that I haven't done too much shopping for her.  One thing she really likes, that we don't have are those musical eggs that you shake.  She also really likes to put things in and take them out of bags.  I think she would be thrilled if I found a mesh zippered bag and put some musical eggs in it as a gift. 

Marie-Mom to two boys and a girl.
#47 of 56 Old 12-09-2010, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Those of you who have bought little brooms, where did you find them?  All the little brooms I find are too big for my peanut.  And that is one thing I know she'd love to play with.

DD1 6/2009 DD2 5/1/2013-5/5/2013 (HIE) DS 3/2014
#48 of 56 Old 12-09-2010, 10:43 AM

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclamen View Post

Those of you who have bought little brooms, where did you find them?  All the little brooms I find are too big for my peanut.  And that is one thing I know she'd love to play with.

We have a swiffer-type broom & I just took out two pieces from the shaft to make it shorter & gave it to DS. His favorite game is to see what toys we can fish out from under the sofa (among, ahem, other things). He also loves playing with the duster & dust pan.

Other toys... books & play dough are the only things that will keep his attention for more than a minute. Other things he likes (for short, short periods) are instruments, blocks, doll, stuffed animals, anything he can dump, balls, toy cars/trucks, simple puzzles, kitchen stuff (mixing bowls, wooden spoons, etc.).

Oh & by playing, I mean dumping toys out of bins,

Mama to my little busy bee. 

#49 of 56 Old 12-09-2010, 12:04 PM

Quote:

We got a little one around Halloween from an art/craft store.  DD was supposed to be Kiki (from Kiki's Delivery Service) for Halloween, but in the end chickened out because she was afraid of flying the broom ("no, it goes too high!").  She insisted she would be Kiki "when she's bigger".  She's too scared of the stupid thing to even touch it.

Charlotte, mommy to Maggie (July 15th 2008) and Una (July 19th 2011)!
#50 of 56 Old 12-09-2010, 05:33 PM

Quote:

I got ds's here:

http://www.broommagic.com/shopexd.asp?id=162

#51 of 56 Old 12-09-2010, 07:52 PM

Things my 15 month old esspecially loves to play with:

wooden blocks and stacking toys (she has a few favorites from a nice Haba fantasy set, but just basic alphabet cubes are loved too)

instruments - we have several baskets full, and they all see TONS of use: bells, drums, maracas, kazoos, guitar (love the plan toys one), ...  These have been the most used toys in my home for about 3 years.  We continue to add to the collection, and it's generally my go to gift suggestion for DD2.

dolls and stuffed animals

the play kitchen and the assorted stuff (our wooden with velcro cutable stuff sees the most play)

doll stroller (we love the one from Nova Natural so much I've considered getting a second for DD2!)

schleich animals

My 4 year old DD1 plays with all of this stuff too.  They're definitely lasting toys around here.

SAHM to flower.gif DD1 8/06 , loveeyes.gif DD2 8/09 , and bfinfant.gifDD3 9/12  married to geek.gif 6/99.  We homeschool.gif, cd.gif, homebirth.jpg, familybed2.gif, and lots of wash.gif and dishes.gif.

#52 of 56 Old 12-10-2010, 08:42 AM

12 months-

anything electronic, especially cell phones, calculators, and remote controls

candles

pots, pans, and tupperwares

push toys- shopping cart, lawn mower, vaccuum, walker/scooter

blocks

board books

small items and containers (bucket and acorns, spoons and bowls, etc)

#53 of 56 Old 12-10-2010, 10:37 AM

Duplo blocks have been very popular since DS was about 16 months old.  They still are now at 3.5.

Any real tool is much better than any toy.  Spoons, brooms, brushes, that kind of thing.

#54 of 56 Old 12-10-2010, 11:22 AM

My husband brought home this:

http://www.amazon.com/Kidz-Delight-Silly-Talking-Broom/dp/B000MWFQE6

Part-time WAHM. Live with my workaholic mother, my over-worked husband, and wonderful daughter born in '07.
#55 of 56 Old 12-10-2010, 12:40 PM

DD is  21 months old. Her favorite things to play with are:

- Blocks, she has Lego Duplos and a Lego table that she'll sit at and build her blocks.

- Babies, this is pretty recent she's started playing with her babies a lot. She nurses them, wraps them in blankets, puts them to sleep, etc.

- Board books, she loves ones with flaps and she can lift the flaps to see what's under it. A lot of those have pretty flimsy flaps though and she rips it pretty easily. My mom found her one with sturdier flaps, as thick as the board book pages, and that's her favorite right now.

- She has a bead maze she likes to play with.

- We have a giant sized pillow, like the size of three of her. She loves to jump on that and lay on it with a blanket. A bean bag would probably serve the same purpose.

- Little People. We have a couple of hand me down sets and she's getting a couple more for Christmas.

- Anything with lids or latches or locks that she can figure out.

Those are her favorite things, but really it's hard to get her to play independently. It's recently started happening a little more often and when she starts doing something on her own, I don't mess with her at all! I rejoice in the few minutes of me-time! I have found if I sit down with her when she asks me to, read to her, build blocks for a few minutes, or rock her baby with her... then once she gets into whatever we're doing, I can kind of slip away without her throwing a fit. She just likes to have me there to facilitate the play and get her started, then she's good on her own for a little while. Yesterday, she spent a good 30 minutes playing on her own with her baby, it was glorious!

ETA: Play silks! I forgot to mention these because she uses them in every area of her play. She won't play with just a playsilk, but she loves to wrap things up in them or use them as blankets for her babies. She finds soooo many uses for those. By far, the best thing to have around.

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

#56 of 56 Old 12-10-2010, 01:54 PM

DD is 22 months:

• play silks are used daily as blankets, doll slings, capes, peek a boo, etc...
  • Lego duplo blocks
  • schliech animals, she mostly has farm animals and is getting some forest animals for Christmas
  • baby dolls
  • wooden food and bowls, spoons, pots and pans
  • puzzles with knobs
  • musical instruments, we have a basket full of various shakers, bells, Kazoo, whistle, drums, and a xylophone. She LOVES these!
  • crayons and water colors

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page