Is it okay to give my 17 month old a proper blanket to sleep with? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-07-2010, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter
ck1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DS is 17 months old and uses a sleepsack at night and a little blanket that most people have when their little one's were little (you know, those thin one's by Carter's with little ducks or cars on them).  I was thinking about giving him a little comforter, but not sure at what age you can do this?  I heard you should use cotton blankets since they are breathable, so that's an option, too.  Just wondering when I can give him a proper blanket that I can tuck him under.  Of course we'll try it at naps first, he's very active and I've never seen him have a problem moving something away from his head, roll-over, or any of the fears associated with SIDS.  Still, thought I'd ask... Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2010, 11:44 AM

We were starting to nightwean ds at 18 months. So I guess if I recall he was in his own room by at least 20-21 months and was sleeping with regular blankets. If your worried at all I would just start with a heavier cotton blanket and not a stiff comfortor at this point. Or possibly a light weight down comforter, I think IKEA sells toddler sized down comforters.

Old 12-07-2010, 03:20 PM
tzs

we do now that it's cold. dd is 15 months.

if you;re worried you can do the safety recommendation thing which is to tuck it tightly in the foot of the crib and have it up to the waist or so. i tuck it tightly but more so that she'll stay under it....but it goes as far up as possible. i bought a twin sized quilt because i didn't want baby styles so much.

Reluctant 'Sconie, chassid and mama to sweet toughie Ada Bluma 9/9/09 and loving pittie-mix ("Judge the deed, not the breed!")
Old 12-07-2010, 04:42 PM

I personally have stayed away from anything too fluffy, so DD sleeps with a couple of flannel quilts, a fleece blanket, and a couple baby blankets (not all at the same time). because of how she sleeps I would worry more about fluffy blankets.

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg
Old 12-07-2010, 09:00 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

My DD has been sleeping for part of the night with her own blanket for a long time.  The worst part is keeping it on her, other than that I feel it's been perfecly safe.

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11 + Someone New in May 2015! After years of planning, we are finally living our dream in South America!!
Old 12-07-2010, 09:15 PM

DS is 15 months and has been sleeping with larger blankets for a while. He moves a lot in his sleeps so it usually ends up half way off anyway.

wash.gifMommy to my little Nugget bouncy.gifribboncesarean.gif 

144/2014 items decluttered   2/52 projects completed

Old 12-07-2010, 09:26 PM

My DS would not sleep under a blanket at all.  He would kick it off and roll around until he was sleeping on top of his bedding.  That was before the Winter Without A Heater hit.  Now he is sooooo cold at night and has been sleeping under a blanket without any problems for a couple of months now.  I have a couple of toddler comforters I use (one is an IKEA duvet).  They keep him warm and he thrashes around much, much less.  He is 17months (so started with the blankets at 15 months).

User Tag List