Do you agree our toddler should say dookie for poop? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Should our son say dookie for poo-poo?
I agree with Dad dookie is acceptable. 1 1.25%
I agree with Mom dookie is NOT acceptable. 65 81.25%
Both dookie or poo-poo are acceptable. 14 17.50%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 46 Old 12-16-2010, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter
ck1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

biglaugh.gifOh my gosh you guys are too funny!  Some of your comments just had tears in my eyes; loved the dump truck story. 

I guess this was a good conversation to start before my son starts potty training (we're waiting until after DS 2 is born). 

I read my husband the results and he agreed he's not going to say "dookie" to my son anymore.  joy.gifThank you!!!!!!!!  

It's not that I had a good reason for my son not saying it either, like I don't know why that word bothers me, but it does.  I don't just say poo-poo with my son, though, I use poop probably just as much or more.  Like if he's standing there making faces I usually ask, "Are you pooping?  Did you poop?" Funny, but the kid still get scared if he poops in the bathtub and sees it.  He points and practically jumps out of the tub crying! 

So my husband and I are set on just using poop, poo-poo, or potty.  Thanks for helping us get on the same page about this.

Keep the stories coming.  I love reading what you all have to say on the subject! 

Thanks so much.

#32 of 46 Old 12-16-2010, 04:47 PM

Did none of you ever see Disney's Adventures of the Gummy Bears?  The Duke who was the villain had a henchman who called him "Dukie."

#33 of 46 Old 12-16-2010, 05:18 PM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

biglaugh.gif

What a great thread! I needed a good laugh tonight! Wow, the things these kids say! Too funny.

Yeah, and I too just think of Green Day. I think I went to see them in concert after Dookie came out. blush.gif  I loved it as an album (at least at one point in my life...), but I'll definitely not be using it once we enter the potty training days.

MIL just taught DS "toot toot" for gas... Hmmm... I think we're going to have to work on that one because now he walks around telling everyone he's gone "toot toot." WAY too cutesy for me.

Mama to my little busy bee. 

#34 of 46 Old 12-16-2010, 05:53 PM
tzs

when i was a kid we said "BM" and "poop" was practically a swear word. i can't remember what we said for pee but it wasn't "urinate".....hmmmmm......

now that i say "poop" all the time i'm wondering if we just chilled out as a culture over time over that word or were my parents super duper uptight????

Reluctant 'Sconie, chassid and mama to sweet toughie Ada Bluma 9/9/09 and loving pittie-mix ("Judge the deed, not the breed!")
#35 of 46 Old 12-16-2010, 06:33 PM

We use poop and pee around here..Most everyone I know does...But we're not quite to the yelling stage of it..At that time I may rethink things..lol

#36 of 46 Old 12-16-2010, 06:55 PM

As long as he's not saying the s word then it's probably ok.  I don't really like my kids announcing their defecation/urination habits, and I personally don't need to know what on earth they're doing (if it's a diaper, I can smell it, and the 3 & 7 year olds don't need my help wiping).  So, pre-independent bathroom usage, i believe we just said "potty".

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#37 of 46 Old 12-16-2010, 11:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

DDs father and I both come from families that find poop hilarious, although his more than mine.  So we've taught DD every word for poop we can think of, including poo, poop, poo-poo, doo-doo (this is her favorite, she uses it for pee too), caca, keke, ddong, "ungaheyo?" (means "go potty?" in korean - she grunts in response).  So uh... yeah.. we'll probably regret this in a year.  Or when she goes to kindergarten singing, "Camptown caca five miles long, doo doo, doo doo..." 

#38 of 46 Old 12-17-2010, 05:43 AM

I don't like the word "dookie", either.  No good reason.  We use "poop" here.  I grew up saying "boo-boo", but my dh thinks that is the dumbest thing he's ever heard.  LOL

We say "tee-tee" for pee.  That's what everyone I know says, save teenage boys, so it's what was comfortable for us.

#39 of 46 Old 12-17-2010, 01:19 PM

I couldn't vote, because there was no option for "Both 'dookie' and 'poo-poo' are unsuitable." They're both baby talk. Babies use baby talk on their own, so I find it unnecessary to teach it to them systematically. Why not just use the grown-up word? No, not that one; I meant the one you used in the thread title because you were addressing it to grown-ups: poop. You wouldn't teach him to say "pee-pee" instead of "penis," would you? Why use baby talk at all? People often do this because they're embarrassed about body parts and bodily functions, but your kid isn't embarrassed, so I think you should try to follow his example. Even if something is private (as poop should be!) you should teach kids to be matter-of-fact about it rather than using "cutesy" terminology. 

Nealy

Mama to Thales, 8; Lydia, 4; and Odin, 2

#40 of 46 Old 12-17-2010, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swandira View Post

I couldn't vote, because there was no option for "Both 'dookie' and 'poo-poo' are unsuitable." They're both baby talk. Babies use baby talk on their own, so I find it unnecessary to teach it to them systematically. Why not just use the grown-up word? No, not that one; I meant the one you used in the thread title because you were addressing it to grown-ups: poop. You wouldn't teach him to say "pee-pee" instead of "penis," would you? Why use baby talk at all? People often do this because they're embarrassed about body parts and bodily functions, but your kid isn't embarrassed, so I think you should try to follow his example. Even if something is private (as poop should be!) you should teach kids to be matter-of-fact about it rather than using "cutesy" terminology. 

Nealy

Mama to Thales, 8; Lydia, 4; and Odin, 2

Well, going by this logic, shouldn't you also nix poop and go with "feces" or "stool"?  Because if I were speaking to a doctor, I wouldn't even say "poop"...I'd say deficate, stool, or feces. :lol:

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#41 of 46 Old 12-17-2010, 03:06 PM

I don't like it. I think the word "poop" is okay though.

Single mom to a 15 yr old, 8 yr old and a 1 year old!

Single (divorced), self-employed working, college student MOM to:

17 yr old

11 yr old 

4 yr old

#42 of 46 Old 12-17-2010, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter
ck1

Hi Sawandira; I purposely removed "both are not okay" because for us, we're okay with using either dookie or poo-poo (if dookie had been okay, thankfully not).  I say poo-poo but I lump poo-poo and poop together because I use both.

It's funny, but we actually do say, "pee-pee" for his penis. I mean, he's a little baby right now, it's cute for us to just say pee-pee because he's learning and people say that (it's not like we're telling him it's called a coo-coo and no one uses that word). We do tell him it's his penis though, and don't just say "pee-pee" exclusively; he can decide what he wants to call it when he can talk.  We're not embarassed to name body parts for what they are, but I don't think we need to go down the medical road with a 17 month old; certainly whatever we call his body parts, or fecal matter, won't scare him, I'm sure.  For us we use so little baby talk with our son that I think it's fine to say these few things. 

Sorry, I'm probably babbling; it's late, I'm pregnant, and tired... 

#43 of 46 Old 12-18-2010, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal85 View Post

Anyone else reminded of a Green Day album?

Yes which is why apparently I'm the only person in favor of dookie! lol.gif I don't see how it's any better/worse than poop. My son says both. Usually poopoo after he's done it and dookuuuu while I'm changing him. Maybe he thinks pooping's the verb and dookies the noun?

Madalyn military wife to Chris & proud momma to Jonas 5/17/09
#44 of 46 Old 12-18-2010, 05:14 PM

Short of profanity - what's the difference between one scatalogical baby phrase or another?  I think unless you are willing to take the medically or anatomically correct high road - there's really not a significant distinction in politeness between dookie or poo-poo or caca or whatever your family agrees to use.  In public, I think its a non-issue and would probably make me smile to hear a small person exclaiming over their toileting.  I do think that there should be some agreement if you are truly offended by DH's terms.

#45 of 46 Old 12-18-2010, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllyRae View Post

Well, going by this logic, shouldn't you also nix poop and go with "feces" or "stool"?  Because if I were speaking to a doctor, I wouldn't even say "poop"...I'd say deficate, stool, or feces. :lol:

We use both "feces" & "poop"...  and we always used "penis" although DS on his own sometimes calls it "peepee" instead for some reason (I don't think he's ever heard it from anyone)... I think I like using both terms for things though because it gives us the option to use whichever feels more comfortable in any given situation. One thing he's been asking about a lot though is whether Mommy has a penis & I'm not sure what to tell him that will be anatomically correct "opposite" because all he wants to know is where I pee from lol. I was going to say urethra but since boys have them too I feel like it's not the 'right' answer.

However, I have never heard the term "dookie" and it kind of makes me cringe, not sure why!

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#46 of 46 Old 12-19-2010, 06:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Little kids saying Dookie is a little rough for my tastes. Poop, poopy, poo etc. That's what little kids call elimination. The father of the family I babysit for says "deuce" and that always makes me gag. And I also think about Green Day. I have been known to say "dangle" for penis. But it's more of a joking manner. Like "What are you doing to your poor dangle?" Or "We don't put dangles on XYZ" Otherwise, it's a penis. And a vulva. I am a stickler about the girls I babysit for saying vulva and not vagina when they are talking about vulvas and not vaginas.

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page