What to use on 2.5yo's super dry skin? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-17-2010, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Now that winter is here, DD's skin has become very dry.  It hurts her to use lotion on it.  It stings and she cries and I feel terrible that I haven't found something that doesn't hurt.

Does anyone have suggestions for what I can use to alleviate the dryness without stinging?  I've tried Eucerin and Aquafor, but we need something more gentle. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2010, 09:59 PM

cocoa butter? We use Palmer's in the tub. (straight cocoa butter is too hard; Palmer's in the tub has cocoa butter as a primary ingredient and less of the ingredients I don't want.)

coconut oil slathered on while still damp after bathing is another thing you can try.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

Old 12-19-2010, 10:36 AM

We use California Baby calendula cream (comes in a little tub -- they sell it at Target). Works great and is very gentle.

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
Old 12-19-2010, 01:38 PM

Coconut oil! Everyone in our house uses it as the all purpose moisturizer. It is relatively cheap (I order in bulk from Mountain Rose Herbs), has no chemicals, scents, flavors, etc... 

Perfect as lotion, lip balm, diaper rash cream, hair conditioner, face moisturizer, etc...

Then you can take a scoop of the same coconut oil, mix it with some raw honey and cocoa and enjoy some delicious fudge :D How many other moisturizers are you willing to eat a spoon of?

Me,fly-by-nursing2.gif wife to DH familybed2.gif , SAHM to DD (4/26/09) and DS (4/9/11) h20homebirth.gif cd.gif

Old 12-19-2010, 02:22 PM

I also would suggest California Baby Calendula Cream (I think it also says First Aid or something like that).  We've also been using Weleda Calendula cream.  I use coconut oil on myself right after I shower and sometimes on DS, but sometimes I feel like I need something thicker when I feel really dry.

Teacher until birth of DS (7-27-08)blowkiss.gifand now DD (10-17-11)femalesling.GIF:, now SAHM, wife to my wonderful hard-working DH.   cd.gifnocirc.gifselectivevax.gif

Old 12-19-2010, 06:44 PM

We use Weleda Calendula cream here.

Tandem nursing, Baby-wearing, Co-sleeping, Car seat-checkin' (CRST) Mama to my sweet boys, Peter (4.20.08) and Jasper (4.25.11).
Old 12-19-2010, 06:54 PM

Apricot kernel oil or really any straight oil.  It can be kind of messy but it won't burn and it definitely works.  

I've also made lotion with apricot kernel oil, beeswax, shea butter and lanolin.  You just melt them together over a double boiler.  You can add essential oils if you want it scented.  It is a nice moisturizer that shouldn't burn.  It is easy to make.  If you're interested, I can look up the amounts of each ingredient for you.

User Tag List