How often do you take your toddler outside? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: How often do you take your toddler outside?
A long time every day, rain/shine/hot/freezing/no matter what 4 6.15%
A short time every day, rain/shine/hot/freezing/no matter what 8 12.31%
Most days for a long time 13 20.00%
Most days for a short time 18 27.69%
Once or twice a week for a long time 11 16.92%
Once or twice a week for a short time 6 9.23%
Less often/never 5 7.69%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 37 Old 12-30-2010, 07:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

you know.....I'd do everyday if I could get over this one hurdle. My neighbors (many with children) love to comment that I'm freezing the baby or my parents say, 'You took him outside? It was FREEZING today!' I know I dress him VERY appropriately with an extra layer just in case, extra mittens in case we lose them etc... I guess I don't like feeling that taking my boy to enjoy the frost is illegal and dangerous. I feel defensive and I barely have the energy to get dresses, let alone bundle both of us us, trudge out in the snow, and get crap from parents whose babysitters are busy with their kids indoors.

End rant,lol

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 37 Old 12-30-2010, 08:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anechka View Post

What upsets me the most is that majority of Americans do not dress appropriately for the winter and they do not dress their kids either. And this is why they are mostly staying inside. Please invest into winter gear - get yourself warm down jackets, gloves and hands and boots - same for kids AND GO OUT!!!! I just do not understand why so many people insist on staying inside in the winter. We live in Philadelphia suburb, and I take my kid outside twice a day for at least two hours. Granted, I dress her and myself appropriately. It is not even that cold here. I used to live in the Eastern Siberia where temps often drop to -30C and we were ALWAYS outside. We, kids loved, loved, loved winter!!!! There is so much fun to play with your friends in the snow. And here, in US winter landscapes are like a desert. My poor two year old daughter - who loves being outside -  is so lonely. There are no kids outside between November and April. This whole thing makes me sick. I just do not get the whole thing. Why can't you all dress up and go outside? It is not like it is -40C here, it is at most -5C here, in Philly. How screwed up and unhealthy an American lifestyle is! I actually mourn my daughter's childhood in the US. The simplest pleasuresof life such as playing with your friends in the snow are absolutely unattainable in this country. Sorry, for the long rant. But this post really hit home for me. Please, go out!  Dress up and go out: teach your kids to walk on snow and ice, teach them to love nature in all its mannifestations. Please do it for youreself and for them!!!

Ok so I don't really know how to use my Christmas gift yet so I can't bold it but the part about teaching your kids to walk in the snow and ice sorta struck a nerve for me. My ds would. Not. Walk. In then snow until just this winter, two and a half years old. Teaching him to do so was impossible and he usually ended up in tears. Trust me, I tried to get him to walk so I didn't have to carry him AND his newborn brother to the van. I really never expected a kid not to even walk to the driveway at almost two. Anyway, sometimes it is easy for us to tell people how easy things should be for them/their kids when maybe we were lucky things worked out so well for us?

Eta: think I figured out how to bold smile.gif

As for the original question I take the kids outside a couple times a week. I wish it were more often. DS2 is just barely walking and has a hard time crawling in his snowsuit. I was taking them with me while I went running in the mornings but DS1 would cry to walk and DS2 would just cry. We were taking em for sled rides, which they really liked but there is not enough snow now. Does anyone have any ideas? Any boots that would be easy for DS2 to walk in?

Jamie, busy Mama to my sweet little O Man, loving wife to Brian, and very excited about our new addition, the J Man, here after ourh20homebirth.gif
                                                   Unexpectedly expecting a new little one in November!!!belly.gif
#33 of 37 Old 12-30-2010, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laur318 View Post

you know.....I'd do everyday if I could get over this one hurdle. My neighbors (many with children) love to comment that I'm freezing the baby or my parents say, 'You took him outside? It was FREEZING today!' I know I dress him VERY appropriately with an extra layer just in case, extra mittens in case we lose them etc... I guess I don't like feeling that taking my boy to enjoy the frost is illegal and dangerous. I feel defensive and I barely have the energy to get dresses, let alone bundle both of us us, trudge out in the snow, and get crap from parents whose babysitters are busy with their kids indoors.

End rant,lol

Ha-ha, same thing. I get those comments as well. But I am Russian, so I can get away with it:)) People in my neighbourhood probably think that I am some crazy Russian mom who does not know any better. My husband even wondered once if they could call police on us. I mean, my dd is dressed appropriately, so why would anyone callthe  police on us? It is not like we send her out in her summer dress. I was kind of hoping that when my neighbours saw us out in the street, they would let their kids out. My dd would often stay in front of people's windows where the kids she knows, live and she would call their names. That is how I did it when I was child. You call kid's name and the next second his parents let him outisde. Not a chance. No one ever came out to play with us. But you know what. I don't care what these people think; I am out with her every single day. Few days ago we got lots of snow; so yesterday she was walking or rather trying to walk in deep, deep snow. Falling down a lot, I would pull her up right; she makes few steps and falls down again. I laughed and she did too. I think it is important to show your kid that IT IS NOT a big deal when she falls down. When my dd falls down in the snow, she could hardly hurt herself: she is all bundled up and probably hardly feels anything:)) Of coures, ice is different thing.

#34 of 37 Old 12-30-2010, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieB View Post

Ok so I don't really know how to use my Christmas gift yet so I can't bold it but the part about teaching your kids to walk in the snow and ice sorta struck a nerve for me. My ds would. Not. Walk. In then snow until just this winter, two and a half years old. Teaching him to do so was impossible and he usually ended up in tears. Trust me, I tried to get him to walk so I didn't have to carry him AND his newborn brother to the van. I really never expected a kid not to even walk to the driveway at almost two. Anyway, sometimes it is easy for us to tell people how easy things should be for them/their kids when maybe we were lucky things worked out so well for us?Eta: think I figured out how to bold :)As for the original question I take the kids outside a couple times a week. I wish it were more often. DS2 is just barely walking and has a hard time crawling in his snowsuit. I was taking them with me while I went running in the mornings but DS1 would cry to walk and DS2 would just cry. We were taking em for sled rides, which they really liked but there is not enough snow now. Does anyone have any ideas? Any boots that would be easy for DS2 to walk in?

#35 of 37 Old 12-30-2010, 11:47 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Ok so I don't really know how to use my Christmas gift yet so I can't bold it but the part about teaching your kids to walk in the snow and ice sorta struck a nerve for me. My ds would. Not. Walk. In then snow until just this winter, two and a half years old. Teaching him to do so was impossible and he usually ended up in tears. Trust me, I tried to get him to walk so I didn't have to carry him AND his newborn brother to the van. I really never expected a kid not to even walk to the driveway at almost two. Anyway, sometimes it is easy for us to tell people how easy things should be for them/their kids when maybe we were lucky things worked out so well for us?Eta: think I figured out how to bold :)As for the original question I take the kids outside a couple times a week. I wish it were more often. DS2 is just barely walking and has a hard time crawling in his snowsuit. I was taking them with me while I went running in the mornings but DS1 would cry to walk and DS2 would just cry. We were taking em for sled rides, which they really liked but there is not enough snow now. Does anyone have any ideas? Any boots that would be easy for DS2 to walk in?

O.K. No one suggest here that a young child would be able to walk on snow/ice as a “pro” during his first winter. It might take him one, two, three winters until he gets it. During her first “walking” winter, dd fell All . The. Time. I would try to keep her upright but many times this was not possible. So she fell and fell and fell... However, this winter she runs and walks much better. Clearly, practice paid off.  Also, when she fell, I never made a fuss over it. I would sometimes let her lay down in snow for few seconds before pulling her right up. This seemed to calm her down and it made her feel more comfortable with her surroundings. Also, I DID NOT put snowsuit and snow boots on her when she was younger.  Because all this staff is so heavy. I never wore that when I was child: so why would I put that awfully bulky clothing on her?  I layered  wool  over wool or fleece over wool, and that keeps her warm without weighing her down.  Also, wool is somewhat water repellent; so she does not get wet as fast.  And of course, I got her warm boots (They were ecco and I got them at a thrift store) they were light and very, very warm.  

#36 of 37 Old 12-31-2010, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Ok so I don't really know how to use my Christmas gift yet so I can't bold it but the part about teaching your kids to walk in the snow and ice sorta struck a nerve for me. My ds would. Not. Walk. In then snow until just this winter, two and a half years old. Teaching him to do so was impossible and he usually ended up in tears. Trust me, I tried to get him to walk so I didn't have to carry him AND his newborn brother to the van. I really never expected a kid not to even walk to the driveway at almost two. Anyway, sometimes it is easy for us to tell people how easy things should be for them/their kids when maybe we were lucky things worked out so well for us?

Yes -- my DS isn't specifically opposed to walking in the snow though -- he's opposed to walking at all, in any weather, when we're outside. Sometimes I can get him to walk to the car, but if we're outside just to play, he stands there & cries for me to pick him up. Carrying around a 2yo while both of us are in full winter gear is not only annoying, it's nearly impossible. I would love if he'd walk around or even sit in the sled & let me pull him, but he wants to be physically in my arms all the time, so it makes it very hard.

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#37 of 37 Old 12-31-2010, 06:21 AM

Quote:

O.K. No one suggest here that a young child would be able to walk on snow/ice as a “pro” during his first winter. It might take him one, two, three winters until he gets it. During her first “walking” winter, dd fell All . The. Time. I would try to keep her upright but many times this was not possible. So she fell and fell and fell... However, this winter she runs and walks much better. Clearly, practice paid off.  Also, when she fell, I never made a fuss over it. I would sometimes let her lay down in snow for few seconds before pulling her right up. This seemed to calm her down and it made her feel more comfortable with her surroundings. Also, I DID NOT put snowsuit and snow boots on her when she was younger.  Because all this staff is so heavy. I never wore that when I was child: so why would I put that awfully bulky clothing on her?  I layered  wool  over wool or fleece over wool, and that keeps her warm without weighing her down.  Also, wool is somewhat water repellent; so she does not get wet as fast.  And of course, I got her warm boots (They were ecco and I got them at a thrift store) they were light and very, very warm.  

We're not talking about his first winter here or even his second. My ds was fully walking in Januaury of 09 and refused to walk in the snow at all through all of 09 and the beginning of 2010. This winter is the first time he was willing to walk. And there was no practicing because he would not move. Literally just stood there. In fact, he was in daycare for a couple weeks and I pulled him out becaue I happened to drive by and he was standing completely still on the playground. I drove by and saw that he wasn't moving, drove by again, went to the bank and drove by again and he hadn't moved. He refused to move in the snow at all. I went and grabbed him off the playground but I still have terrible guilt over it. All I am saying is that teaching and practicing doesn't work for every kid and your posts make it sound like it might be hard to see that when it works out so well for you. For my i just had to give him time and not try to force it.

Jamie, busy Mama to my sweet little O Man, loving wife to Brian, and very excited about our new addition, the J Man, here after ourh20homebirth.gif
                                                   Unexpectedly expecting a new little one in November!!!belly.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page