How often do you take your toddler outside? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: How often do you take your toddler outside?
A long time every day, rain/shine/hot/freezing/no matter what 4 6.15%
A short time every day, rain/shine/hot/freezing/no matter what 8 12.31%
Most days for a long time 13 20.00%
Most days for a short time 18 27.69%
Once or twice a week for a long time 11 16.92%
Once or twice a week for a short time 6 9.23%
Less often/never 5 7.69%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 37 Old 12-20-2010, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This is my eternal dilemma lol. I aim for "every day, no matter what" but these days we're lucky if we get outside 4 times a week. It's sad, really, and makes me wonder if I'm just bad at this or if everyone else struggles to get enough outdoor time!! I finally got better winter weather gear though!!! :)

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#2 of 37 Old 12-20-2010, 01:37 PM

Four days a week is not bad at all!  We go outside close to everyday-- but we live in California (bay area)-- so it's a bit easier than in many parts of the world.  Granted, we're in the rainy season right now, so it's trickier.  On a truly rainy day, we're probably not out long.  But on a post-rainy day (like today), rain pants really help!  But it's a whole other ball of worms if you're dealing with snow clothes, etc.!

[ball of worms: yes, I did just type that bizarre mixed metaphor. Oh well]

#3 of 37 Old 12-20-2010, 02:03 PM

I feel guilty over this as well.

We are in the depths of winter here in NYC. No snow yet but its been bitter cold.

Miles (22 mos) does go outside everyday (at least weekdays) because I bring his sister to the school bus and we hang out for about 10-15 mins looking at cars, the train that goes by and the blow-up Santa that is outside of our co-op building.

I wish I could be more creative with it or have more mojo. With the limited amount of daylight, its been hard.

[FONT="Tahoma"][B]Mary:::, mommy to Devon girl: 3.30.2006 and Smile Miles 2.24.2009, a funky little monkey!
#4 of 37 Old 12-20-2010, 04:15 PM

We try to go out for about an hour every day depending on the weather. We don't go out in the rain or if it's super cold. I can't wait until after Christmas since he's got a push bike and big sand table coming from his grandparents.

Madalyn military wife to Chris & proud momma to Jonas 5/17/09
#5 of 37 Old 12-20-2010, 05:58 PM

If you are looking for some motivation to get out more often- get a dog!!  We try to get out for a long time on the weekends, and even on weekdays in nice weather, but we get out for at least a short time every day, simply because we have to walk the dog (we live in an apartment so just letting the dog out in the backyard to take care of business isn't an option- there are several mandatory walks a day). 

My DD is perfectly happy to run around for hours in the freezing cold/wind/snow/rain, I'm the one that's bothered by the weather!

mama*pisces likes this.
#6 of 37 Old 12-20-2010, 10:46 PM

right now DD is lucky if she's outside more than a couple minutes a day getting in and out of the car. it's cold and snowy/icy, and we live in an apartment. it's too slick outside for her to walk much, and I'm having pregnancy back issues and having a hard time carrying her. 

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg
#7 of 37 Old 12-20-2010, 11:14 PM
Banned

I wrote a similar post a few days ago...
It seems like a lot depends on the weather! I'm trying to relieve some pressure off myself. Just because I aim for everyday, doesn't mean I should feel bad if we don't actually make it everyday. I also have to remind myself that not allowing dd to watch tv is a major benefit thats just as important to her devolpment as going outside.
(ie, I know there are parents that let their toddlers watch tons of tv and almost never take their kids out for child centered activities... By comparison, I'm doing alright!!!)

#8 of 37 Old 12-21-2010, 05:08 AM

I have been feeling really guilty lately for not taking DD out more.  When the weather was warmer we went outside every day in our yard and went to the park pretty frequently.  Now that it is cold we rarely go out into the yard.  For awhile there was snow on the ground, which she didn't like because it made it hard to walk, and now that the snow has melted some, I just don't feel like it.  Maybe this thread will motivate me to put her in her snow suit and take her out today.  It is supposed to be above 40 this afternoon and sunny. 

Natalie ~ DH 8/04 ~ DD 8/09 ~ Identical Twin Boys Arrived at 34w5d on March 2, 2011

#9 of 37 Old 12-21-2010, 05:20 AM

Depends on the season. Spring/Summer/Fall every day for most of the day (assuming its not cold & wet and raining... then no), every day. Winter? When its cold? Most days if only for a short while (less than an hour...). DS1 (3.5, nearly 4) goes outside still most every day for at least a little while to play in the snow. But ds2 just isn't super good at walking in the snow so its rarely for more than 15-30 mins. :shrug

#10 of 37 Old 12-21-2010, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter

I'm so glad to know it's not just me!!! It's been below freezing here for the last ~2 months and just the idea of getting all bundled up (only to come back inside or back home 5 minutes later because DS hates being bundled!) is really what prevents us from getting out more. We were doing great in the spring/summer getting out really almost every day but now it's dark so early too!

Oh P.S. we did have a dog (which did help us get out *a little* more) but sadly we had to rehome him so we won't get another 'til we no longer have toddlers. :(

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#11 of 37 Old 12-21-2010, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

We also have a dog in a yardless condo, so we get outside at least three times everyday.  Not saying that I enjoy getting outside at least three times a day, but that's the way it is. We also have just one car, which DP takes to work, so if DD and I want to go anywhere, we walk.  No stroller, either, so DD actually walks.  It's a great way to tucker her out and makes her sleep but better!  Most of our destinations are within an half-hour walk (toddler walk ... actually only a few blocks), such as the library or family drop-in or cafes, kindergym, etc.  My sanity is probably better for it. 

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#12 of 37 Old 12-21-2010, 02:58 PM

It's so hard for me to get out. I grew up in the Caribbean, so winter and I do not get along! We just moved and no longer have a backyard, but I try to go on walks with DD and let her roam a bit on the parking lot, stairs. It's bitter cold out there though, she doesn't care, but the lack of sun and the cold just turn me into a house prisoner lol

I do need better winter gear for DD and that's what I'm asking my MIL. I also need to find my hat and gloves or we'll never spend a decent amount of time outside. Things are a bit messy around here still, hopefully I'll find things before winter is over :p

#13 of 37 Old 12-21-2010, 03:42 PM

Not nearly as often as I'd like, but one of my New Year's resolutions is to get outside with DS and DD at least once a day, every day, barring extreme weather or other unfortunate circumstances. I actually love the cold and winter weather but it definitely makes getting out of the house with a toddler much harder.

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

#14 of 37 Old 12-21-2010, 05:43 PM

We try to go outside everyday, but when the cold wind is blowing hard my child just wants to hide and cover his face against me. I still go for a walk around the block with him in the carrier. He's now 13 months.

Mom since Oct'09. Wife to a loving husband. Expecting a little bean in May'12

#15 of 37 Old 12-21-2010, 06:05 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

DH takes dd outside daily, sometimes twice a day, even if only for 30 min at a time. He has to take ds to and from the bus stop, and he takes dd (15 mo) with him. When it's nice outside, dh and dd take a walk; when it's colder than -20 they drive to playgroups, the library, grocery shopping.

I find it's more difficult to stay inside then go out. You have to keep them busy or they drive you up the wall.

caffix.gif

#16 of 37 Old 12-21-2010, 06:23 PM

I would love to take DD outside more often, but we do not have a fence (that will change after tax time $$$).  Both the front and back yard need to be re-landscaped... not very safe/toddler-friendly.  Besides, she wants to try to run away from me into other peoples' yards, or into the street, and I don't want to just play a game of chase all day.  I love the outdoors, but I prefer to sit in the grass and read a good book or just relax and be "at peace" vs. running around.  LOL.  I took her out quite a bit in nice weather, but we had a miserably hot/humid Summer, and a very short-lived Spring and Fall.  So, yeah, this time of year we are rarely outside for more than a few minutes at a time.

-
#17 of 37 Old 12-23-2010, 10:32 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I am guilty of not taking DD out as much as we should.  But she doesn't like walking in the snow, so I don't push it.  She just rides on my back and we walk places.  The landlord just put up a fence though, so I'm excited to plant some grass in the yard (for lead safety) in the spring and just sit out there while she plays.  She's never been allowed to do that because we didn't live in a place with a yard before.

DD1 6/2009 DD2 5/1/2013-5/5/2013 (HIE) DS 3/2014
#18 of 37 Old 12-24-2010, 06:37 AM

The poll did not have the option that is me: a couple times a week for a long time, plus a couple more times for a short time. So 4 days total, unless it is crazy raining. (We do not get snow in the Bay Area of CA, but rain- we get plenty of that!)

Mama to a 3 year old awesome kid, Rowan (aka Mister Boopy) and TTC another at 43!

fambedsingle1.gif gd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif vbac.gif goorganic.jpg

Herbalist, Acupuncture student, Mama, Blogger!

#19 of 37 Old 12-24-2010, 07:32 AM

Daily, as long as it isn't too cold. Length of time spent outside depends on temperature. We're outside for hours if it's -5C but only 20 minutes if it's -25C. If the air temp or wind chill is colder than -27C, we don't go outside. It`s just too cold then. Fortunately we've only had a couple days that cold so far. DS2 loves being outside in the snow, unlike last winter, so it`s made going outside a lot more enjoyable this winter.

Mama to my 3 wild things.

#20 of 37 Old 12-25-2010, 07:47 PM

What upsets me the most is that majority of Americans do not dress appropriately for the winter and they do not dress their kids either. And this is why they are mostly staying inside. Please invest into winter gear - get yourself warm down jackets, gloves and hands and boots - same for kids AND GO OUT!!!! I just do not understand why so many people insist on staying inside in the winter. We live in Philadelphia suburb, and I take my kid outside twice a day for at least two hours. Granted, I dress her and myself appropriately. It is not even that cold here. I used to live in the Eastern Siberia where temps often drop to -30C and we were ALWAYS outside. We, kids loved, loved, loved winter!!!! There is so much fun to play with your friends in the snow. And here, in US winter landscapes are like a desert. My poor two year old daughter - who loves being outside -  is so lonely. There are no kids outside between November and April. This whole thing makes me sick. I just do not get the whole thing. Why can't you all dress up and go outside? It is not like it is -40C here, it is at most -5C here, in Philly. How screwed up and unhealthy an American lifestyle is! I actually mourn my daughter's childhood in the US. The simplest pleasuresof life such as playing with your friends in the snow are absolutely unattainable in this country. Sorry, for the long rant. But this post really hit home for me. Please, go out!  Dress up and go out: teach your kids to walk on snow and ice, teach them to love nature in all its mannifestations. Please do it for youreself and for them!!!

#21 of 37 Old 12-25-2010, 07:51 PM

I find THIS has been my biggest hurdle to getting outside. We live in a fairly temperate climate and I have no problem layering the kids on the few days it really is cold (or windy) but I don't dress myself and consequently don't want to stay out once we're out!!! I'm paying more attention these days and even overdressing myself - it makes a huge difference!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anechka View Post

What upsets me the most is that majority of Americans do not dress appropriately for the winter and they do not dress their kids either. And this is why they are mostly staying inside. Please invest into winter gear - get yourself warm down jackets, gloves and hands and boots - same for kids AND GO OUT!!!! I just do not understand why so many people insist on staying inside in the winter. We live in Philadelphia suburb, and I take my kid outside twice a day for at least two hours. Granted, I dress her and myself appropriately. It is not even that cold here. I used to live in the Eastern Siberia where temps often drop to -30C and we were ALWAYS outside. We, kids loved, loved, loved winter!!!! There is so much fun to play with your friends in the snow. And here, in US winter landscapes are like a desert. My poor two year old daughter - who loves being outside -  is so lonely. There are no kids outside between November and April. This whole thing makes me sick. I just do not get the whole thing. Why can't you all dress up and go outside? It is not like it is -40C here, it is at most -5C here, in Philly. How screwed up and unhealthy an American lifestyle is! I actually mourn my daughter's childhood in the US. The simplest pleasuresof life such as playing with your friends in the snow are absolutely unattainable in this country. Sorry, for the long rant. But this post really hit home for me. Please, go out!  Dress up and go out: teach your kids to walk on snow and ice, teach them to love nature in all its mannifestations. Please do it for youreself and for them!!!

"So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton

#22 of 37 Old 12-25-2010, 07:58 PM

For me it's all about having something to do once we get outside. We have no yard, so if we don't have a destination, there's no point. We still do a few general neighborhood walks most days of the week, at least to walk the dog, but once it's too cold for the playground, it's hard to have a place to go. We do ice skate 1-2 times a week, and we try to ski a few times a year as well, so we have good winter gear. 

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
#23 of 37 Old 12-26-2010, 04:12 PM

I can't vote because none of the options fit!

We try to go outside for a least a little while most days. Sometimes it's just running around on the lawn for 10 minutes if it's cold, other days it's 3 hours of sand/water/bike play if it's warm enough. If it's cold and we're up to it, I'll bundle them up and go on a walk or we'll take the bikes around the block. It does depend on the weather though, because in the warmer seasons we're outside daily!
#24 of 37 Old 12-27-2010, 09:18 AM

We do dress for the occasion, but a ice cold see breaze in the face still can hurt, and my 14 month old toddler just cannot move as well outside, when he's all bundled up. But he enjoys being carried around outside, and then we go to the library and hang out there.

Has anyone else noticed, that their littles ones can't breath when the wind is too strong?

On a calm and sunny day we are outside, even at -20C.

#25 of 37 Old 12-28-2010, 08:49 AM

Anechka, I liked your comments, it is so true. We stay inside all the time, even though my ideal is to get outside. When you said teach your kids to walk on snow/ice, I had to laugh, I sure cannot teach her that. I've become my gramma on ice, and walk in those itty bitty shuffly i'm-gonna-fall steps. How does one walk on ice? I much prefer tromping through snow, I feel safer. It's embarassing to admit that, I'm only 35, but act on ice like I'm 40+ years older!

I voted once or twice a week for a short time, but even that's generous. Mostly we're inside. I will start today with at the very least a walk around the block.

signature currently in transition
#26 of 37 Old 12-28-2010, 09:40 AM

Teenytoona,

if you feel insecure on ice, those yaktrex or similar "spikes" for the shoes can be great. I use them, when I go through town while carrying my child, because I feel safer and don't want to slip with him on my back.

#27 of 37 Old 12-28-2010, 09:42 AM

24 month old DS goes out with me almost every day.  But in bad weather it's usually just to run around the barn while I clean stalls and do barn chores.  I bundle him up and he's in a full snow suit, but his face and hands (usually because he's constantly taking his gloves off) still get cold after 20 minutes or so if it's in the teens or below.  I can't imagine staying outside for hours with toddler's or younger.  Their extremities seems to chill much faster than an older child's and unless all of their exposed flesh is covered they're going to get cold.  If anyone has seen face masks for toddler's please let me know where I could get them.  I frequently have to rush chores in the winter or go back out after he's gone to bed to finish.

Me 36, DH 40

IVF #1=DS 4 luxlove.gif, FET #1=BFNmecry.gif, IVF #2=angel.gif, IVF #3= DD brand new! luxlove.gif

2 horses, 1 dog, 1 cat

#28 of 37 Old 12-28-2010, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lari View Post

24 month old DS goes out with me almost every day.  But in bad weather it's usually just to run around the barn while I clean stalls and do barn chores.  I bundle him up and he's in a full snow suit, but his face and hands (usually because he's constantly taking his gloves off) still get cold after 20 minutes or so if it's in the teens or below.  I can't imagine staying outside for hours with toddler's or younger.  Their extremities seems to chill much faster than an older child's and unless all of their exposed flesh is covered they're going to get cold.  If anyone has seen face masks for toddler's please let me know where I could get them.  I frequently have to rush chores in the winter or go back out after he's gone to bed to finish.

I don't know how crafty you are, but I found a pattern for a toddler-sized balaclava on Ravelry: Wee Balaclava

Thanks for the idea! cold.gif

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

#29 of 37 Old 12-29-2010, 11:46 PM

My rule is the day care regulation rule: if it's 20 degrees or colder, we don't go out.  So he hasn't played outside in probably a month.  I did find a great new indoor playground though.  Too bad it's across town.  Do what you can.  :)

Kristen
#30 of 37 Old 12-30-2010, 06:51 AM

I'm a wuss in cold weather, and I'm in Texas, so it's not that cold, but when it gets cold it often gets rainy which is just unbearable to me. But DS is only 2 and doesn't have a strong opinion on whether we go outside or not yet. I'm sure as he gets older I'll be more motivated to get out with him simply because he'll be asking me more I'm sure. Plus, I'm pregnant and I know I should be outside with DS exercising or whatnot, but I just can't get motivated. We do go out alot though, so we are outside, just not as much as we could be.

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page