How much does your 12 month old sleep? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-22-2010, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'm driving myself crazy reading sleep books that tell me that DD should be sleeping alot more than she is. I have spend whole months doing nothing but having my life revolve around trying to get her to sleep more. She is often tired before naps and the last couple hours of the day. But she will not sleep more than 12 hours a day total (11 hours a night and 1 hour mid-day). Is this bad? I don't think she slept more than 13 hours a day from when she was like 3 months old...

How much do your LOs sleep at around 12 months?

mama to Rassa, born 12/9/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2010, 07:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

If you child is happy and healthy than that's fine. Children are different, I believe some kids are even at 11hrs, while others sleep 14hrs at that age, most sleep around 12-13hrs. Usually they sleep a bit more between 1-2.

Mom since Oct'09. Wife to a loving husband. Expecting a little bean in May'12

Old 12-22-2010, 10:17 PM

Our average for the last 30 days is 12 hours and 1 minute of sleep a day.  Despite my best obsessive efforts, we've been steady at 12 hours +/- 15 minutes since he was five months old (as far as the records go back in my current tracker).  Apparently 10 months was the best age for sleep...he averaged 12 hours and 18 minutes.  Even when he was very little, I don't think I ever got more than 13 hours of sleep out of 24, at least after he shook off his sleepy baby phase.

I came to the conclusion a few months ago that he just doesn't need as much sleep as other babies.  It makes some sense, because I don't need as much sleep as most people I know.

Cloud, mommy to her happy little Nimbus, born 11/09!
Old 12-23-2010, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudbutterfly View Post

Our average for the last 30 days is 12 hours and 1 minute of sleep a day.  Despite my best obsessive efforts, we've been steady at 12 hours +/- 15 minutes since he was five months old (as far as the records go back in my current tracker).  Apparently 10 months was the best age for sleep...he averaged 12 hours and 18 minutes.  Even when he was very little, I don't think I ever got more than 13 hours of sleep out of 24, at least after he shook off his sleepy baby phase.

I came to the conclusion a few months ago that he just doesn't need as much sleep as other babies.  It makes some sense, because I don't need as much sleep as most people I know.

I so wish I was like DD in this. She is more like my husband, who only needs 6-7 hours sleep a night to be fine. I need more like 7-8 to not feel tired, and that's without wakeups.

But it's really good to know because the only people around me with babies the same age have 12 month olds that seem to sleep like 15 hours a day!

Truth be told DD does seem better on the days when she sleeps 13 hours a day, but I don't think that's going to happen until she is done teething.

mama to Rassa, born 12/9/09
Old 12-23-2010, 10:28 AM

The only problem with the doing well on less sleep thing is that because DH needs a lot of sleep, somehow I do all the nighttime parenting.  Or, like this morning, he sleeps in while we hang out and play.  That was not the pre-baby plan.  Mostly I don't mind, but my goal while he's off from work is to get a morning (mostly) off!

DS generally sleeps between 10 and 12 hours at night, and his naps are usually 1 1/2 or 2 hours long.  The thing I've noticed is that if he gets less sleep at night, he's in not as good of a mood all morning.  He usually wakes up from naps refreshed and happy (sometimes I think that's the real start of his day, because then he's up for 7-ish hours), but mornings are hit or miss.  If I get him to bed early, he's more likely to sleep longer at night, and then sometimes he'll also take a long nap, but then we end up making up for it the next day with less sleep...I wish he came with a printed schedule, so I could figure out how to get him on a 12 hour day.

Cloud, mommy to her happy little Nimbus, born 11/09!
Old 12-29-2010, 04:51 PM

My 12 mo DS sleeps about 12 hrs at night (with FREQUENT half-waking to nurse, like every 2 hrs) and one nap, 60-90 min. And the nap is never at the same time each day. And bedtime changes almost weekly.

I was making myself nuts for a while with sleep books, and sleep logs, and schedules to where I felt my whole life revolved around DSs sleeping =(

I finally just gave up. He sleeps when hes tired, he wakes up when hes not. Life is SO much better now, for both of us. Albiet, we dont 'need' to be on a schedule as I'm a SAHM, I cant imagine this lax approach working if I still had a job to get to, so I dont know if this would work for everyone.

Mama to Xavian, born 11-24-09
Old 12-29-2010, 10:46 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

DS sleeps 10 hours at night (not counting wake-ups) and about 2 hours during the day, so around 12 hours.  My daughter was one of those 15-16 hour sleepers at the same age and now, at almost 5, averages 12.5 hours of sleep per day, so it drives me more than a little nuts that I can't get DS, who is only 14 months, to sleep more than he does.  If he had it his way, I think DS would never sleep at all unless he collapsed from exhaustion.

Erin, mom to DD (1/06) and DS (10/09)

User Tag List