How much does your 12 month old sleep? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 12-22-2010, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

x-posted in toddlers

I'm driving myself crazy reading sleep books that tell me that DD should be sleeping alot more than she is. I have spend whole months doing nothing but having my life revolve around trying to get her to sleep more. She is often tired before naps and the last couple hours of the day. But she will not sleep more than 12 hours a day total (11 hours a night and 1 hour mid-day). Is this bad? I don't think she slept more than 13 hours a day from when she was like 3 months old...

How much do your LOs sleep at around 12 months?

mama to Rassa, born 12/9/09
#2 of 6 Old 12-22-2010, 08:33 PM

DS2 sleeps about 13 hours.  Sometimes it's 14 hours but that is rare.  Usually it is 11 hours at night.  One 45 min nap and one 1 1/2 hour nap.

I found with DS1 that his sleep actually got longer from about 14 months on.  He slept almost 12 hours / night and then had a 2 hour nap.

Loving my two wild and crazy boys -- DS1 06/07 and DS2 12/09
#3 of 6 Old 12-22-2010, 08:52 PM

Kids sleep when they are tired. I used to keep close track in my head how much ds1 slept and made certain he was getting his 14 hrs...then I had dd. She sleeps far less than my boys ever did. I would say she sleeps 11 hrs at night on most nights and rarely naps more than an hour a day (usually in two 30 min chunks).

As long as your LO is happy and healthy and you pay attention to his cues when he's tired, he'll sleep as much (or as little) as his body needs. 

"So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton

#4 of 6 Old 12-23-2010, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter

The hard thing is that I am pretty sure she'd be less tired and cranky if she slept more but teething really limits her sleep. She sleeps just enough to get by. oh well. I guess I've done everything I can.

#5 of 6 Old 12-23-2010, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter

I don't know that this baby sleeps when she is tired. Last summer, before we kept a strict bedtime routine and bedtime, she would stay up sometimes until 11pm, wakeup at 6am and be tired and cranky and prone to meltdowns all day long. It was awful. She also won't eat or nap just anywhere. I guess some high needs babies are like this...

#6 of 6 Old 12-23-2010, 08:13 AM

I have read a few of your posts before, and you and I must have the same baby  (his bday is 12/07/09).  Every time I read your posts, I think...yep-thats mine too.

I agree, mine sleeps from 7-6:30/7 (but it is in chunks,as he still wakes up several times to eat), and sleeps 2 45 minute naps a day.   And yes, he is tired a lot! 

Yesterday we were driving home from somewhere and he napped the entire 2 hr+  ride.  I feel like this is telling me that he needs longer naps but just cant stay awake for them.

So, I am really just commiserating, Let me know if you find any solutions to high-needs babies that turn into-no sleep baby/toddlers!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page