2 years molars already? (17 month old) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 12-22-2010, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DS had a pretty bad couple days recently.  He has been CRANKY.  Had tantrums for no reason (not like him at all).  He's super clingy, he went from nursing 2 minutes twice a day to 20 minutes 4 times a day.  He's chewing on his fingers like he's trying to bite them off, to the point where they are covered in blisters and the skin is breaking.  He's drooling like mad and his eczema around his mouth came back.  He hasn't used a paci in almost a year, but now he's turning everything into a pacifier (like the rubber part of the medicine dropper)  He had a low grade fever yesterday.  However, he doesnt look sick.  No rash, no ear pulling, etc.  I gave in and gave him tylenol this afternoon and while he wasn't 100% back to normal, he was much better, so im assuming he's in pain. 

I checked in his mouth and don't see anything coming out, but the lower left gum, at the very back, is sort of swollen. 

Can this be his 2 year molars starting already?  He did teeth on the early side for all his other teeth, he had 15 by the time he turned 1.

#2 of 9 Old 12-23-2010, 04:38 AM

I would say yep! 

My DS is 16 months and doing the exact same thing.  Nursing, nursing, nursing... oh did I mention he is nursing a ton?!  DS has had a small rash as well around his mouth as well.  2nd molars are on their way for sure... can see em. 

'09   
#3 of 9 Old 12-23-2010, 10:11 AM

Yep, My DD is also an early teether. She got her first set of 2 year molars right around 18 months. She's 22 months now and the last molar just cut through. We had a bit of a break between those bottom and top molars cutting though. Molars are tough! But now it's almost over!!  I notice that with her that her gums bother her for many weeks before a tooth comes through. I found giving her something to shew on like a cloth teething doll, using hylands tablets (bought a bunch when I heard they were being recalled) or Camilia during the day, and tylenol at night if it seemed she was having an extra tough time with it.

Good luck! Hope it goes quickly for you.

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#4 of 9 Old 12-23-2010, 02:06 PM

Sounds like teething to me!! Poor thing!

DD1 had all her teeth by 20 months, so it's well within the range of what I'm used to.

Lisa - mama to Eleanor Rose 01/08 and Saoirse Lily 09/10
#5 of 9 Old 12-27-2010, 09:00 AM

Hahaha...my youngest DD is FIFTEEN MONTHS. I looked in there the other day and there are TWO molars popping through. I can see them! Can you believe it? 15 months? So, yes. I would say its possible!

Crunchy, working mama to three awesome kiddos-2 born at home!
#6 of 9 Old 12-28-2010, 06:57 PM

So, two things at play here, first off the 2-year molars are the second set of molars to come in, there's also a set that comes in around 1-1.5 years.

Second, we dealt with teething for the 2 year molars off and on from the time the first set of molars came in. So it started around 16 months and we'd have random horrible crankiness for a day or so every few weeks until (touch wood) about a month ago when I finally spotted that last molar.

gardendweller likes this.
#7 of 9 Old 12-31-2010, 06:09 PM

Those perky second molars seem to take an eternity to come out!

DS had been quite fussy around the time of his 18 mos. checkup - the pedi. looked in his mouth and said his gums were irritated and was probably starting to work on them (he's been a relatively early teether). Now here we are 3 months later, and I think we're really in the thick of it because he's not just fussy now, he's Mr. Hyde, and he's more desperate for his paci than usual, is sucking his thumb at times (which he never does), is drooling like a baby again, and well, the obvious: even with his smallish vocabulary, he stuck a finger in his mouth the other day and said, clear as day, "hurts."

Why can't they come out already??? Grrr.

#8 of 9 Old 01-01-2011, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehighernest View Post

Those perky second molars seem to take an eternity to come out!

DS had been quite fussy around the time of his 18 mos. checkup - the pedi. looked in his mouth and said his gums were irritated and was probably starting to work on them (he's been a relatively early teether). Now here we are 3 months later, and I think we're really in the thick of it because he's not just fussy now, he's Mr. Hyde, and he's more desperate for his paci than usual, is sucking his thumb at times (which he never does), is drooling like a baby again, and well, the obvious: even with his smallish vocabulary, he stuck a finger in his mouth the other day and said, clear as day, "hurts."

Why can't they come out already??? Grrr.

I'm sure you're already doing this, but just in case you haven't thought of it, feed him frozen berries.

#9 of 9 Old 01-01-2011, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My DD is 21 months old and has been doing the behavior you're talking about off and on for months. I'm certain she's teething. Just remember that teeth move upward months before they actually sprout out of the gums. Teething takes a long time!

Superherolactivist.gif and mother to Peanut (03/20/09) and Twig (01/20/2012). Fighting for the rights of mothers out there who winner.jpg selectivevax.gif fly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg and much more! mdcblog5.gif 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page