Vent - It is NOT weird to nurse a 17 Month Old!!! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 41 Old 01-16-2011, 03:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Gee, if their wives are anything like them...I would nurse the baby another 10 years to avoid weekends with them! Uuggghhhh!

#32 of 41 Old 01-17-2011, 01:06 PM

Regarding the 'closet' comments for those nursing beyond one- how is it before one? Here in Alabama, women cover themselves up even in a room full of women. With new babies. I don't get it. (I'm from Canada).

bf, cd, no circ, selective vax, attempting toddler ec'ing, kick off your shoes at the door while we trying to simplify our lives kinda family.
#33 of 41 Old 01-17-2011, 01:20 PM

It's the same here in GA.

#34 of 41 Old 01-18-2011, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by landgyrl View Post

Regarding the 'closet' comments for those nursing beyond one- how is it before one? Here in Alabama, women cover themselves up even in a room full of women. With new babies. I don't get it. (I'm from Canada).

i've yet to see more than 2 or 3 women nip around here, and even that has been with a cover. if dh is with me to assist with the older 2 kids, i nurse my younger nursling in public. if i'm alone with all 3 kids, i usually just nurse in the van before we go in as it's way easier and comfortable for me than trying to nurse and chase 2 older ones lol. i've never bothered with a cover though, and only recently bought my first piece of nursing clothing...a formal dress for a dinner/dancing evening dh and i are going to this weekend.

to the mama who posted that she tandems in public...my hat is off to you! care to share some pointers on accomplishing that? i find that i can't be remotely discreet while tandeming. my nurslings are 2mo and 19mo.

#35 of 41 Old 01-18-2011, 12:32 PM

I was recently at a public event with several family members, and in conversation I made a casual reference to nursing my 20-month-old (I'm also pg with #2).  My cousin's mouth dropped open and she sneered, "you aren't still nursing that kid, are you?  What are you going to do when the new baby arrives?"  I just shrugged and said, "I imagine that I'll let the new baby nurse first."  She looked at me like I'd grown a second head.  Nobody else said anything.  Then this lady at the table (that nobody really knew) chimed in and said, "what a lucky daughter you have!  I'd bet she's so healthy, growing up drinking your milk!"  And then everyone looked really uncomfortable and chimed in that, of course, it's a good idea to breastfeed and my daughter is so lucky. lol.gif I was so grateful to that random stranger for jumping in to defend me against members of my own family!!!   

I'm traveling the world with my kids without ever leaving home and blogging about it -- watch, taste, and share our adventures at TheGlobalStayCation.com!
#36 of 41 Old 01-18-2011, 01:09 PM

Boy I wish I could have nursed that long.  My son weaned himself at 10 mths old when I got pregnant with #2.  I hope to nurse this baby for at least 2 years.  My mom nursed 3 of us until we were 2 and my brother until he was 3, so its pretty normal for me.  I have a friend who's pediatrician is helping her to get to age 4 with nursing her son.

Vegetarian broc1.gifmother to wave.gif(3/09) peace.gif  (11/10) and belly.gif(4/13)

#37 of 41 Old 01-18-2011, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

So happy someone was there to pipe up for you!  It is hard to think of an appropriate comeback (be it snappy, polite, sublte, angry, mellow, whatever) when you're on the spot - at least for me it is.  Yay stranger!

#38 of 41 Old 01-19-2011, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by landgyrl View Post

I live in Oregon, where most women don't cover themselves and it is wonderful.  

To the OP, I have gotten similar criticism for nursing my 16 mo (who looks like he's 2).  I have told "friends" that "frankly, it's none of your business."  It seems to be the only way to shut them up.  It really upsets me.  I don't hassle them for formula feeding.  Why they feel justified in criticizing me for nursing is beyond me.  And it's not as if I'm even nursing in front of them- DS gets very distracted so we normally nurse in a quiet place (at home, in the car, etc.).

#39 of 41 Old 01-20-2011, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrwmn View Post

to the mama who posted that she tandems in public...my hat is off to you! care to share some pointers on accomplishing that? i find that i can't be remotely discreet while tandeming. my nurslings are 2mo and 19mo.

I suppose it helps that I don't fret much about being discreet. ROTFLMAO.gif What I do is sit cross legged somewhere with good back support (against a tree or wall usually) then I put the baby in my lap (she's 4.5 months already! how did that happen?) and I latch her on.  Then my big kid (it is starting to feel weird to call her a toddler...) gently lays her head on the baby's lap and latches on to the other side.  Anyone who is looking at me can pretty clearly see what I'm doing, but the advantage of nursing a big kid is her head covers my whole chest. :)  There isn't any more skin showing than nursing one.  At home I prefer them both more in the 'football' hold because it is more comfortable for my back.  This Boppy has been worth every penny. :)

It helps that I have fairly large (E cup) breasts so I have a lot of room to work with on positioning the kids.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#40 of 41 Old 01-21-2011, 08:10 AM

I was bringing a meal to a friend from church who had just had a baby and while I was at HER HOUSE, she pulled out a nurnsing cover to BF her brand new baby.  And we go to a church where it is just expected that women nurse their babies.  So it's not like it's looked down upon in our circle.  idk, I can sort of understand covering up to NIP (I did a few times in the beginning when we were still figuring it all out), but in your own home?

mommy to Christopher 2/29/08
#41 of 41 Old 01-21-2011, 10:15 AM

OP - so glad your heroic DH stepped in and set some folks straight.

My 17mo is a nursing champ. Yesterday I picked her up from her second day at a new (Montessori! yay!) daycare, and offered to nurse her there in the tiny lobby. We plopped down in a chair and started, and suddenly the room seemed full of other parents waiting to pick up their kids - mostly dads. I just kept my eyes locked on DDs and gave her what she needed, but part of me sure did wonder what other people were thinking. I've nursed in public all along, but after a year, I did suddenly start to think about it more, after a couple of comments from family (!).

Wish we didn't even have to give it a second thought!

Lea, mama to DD Rowan, 8/6/09

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page