how old is your toddler & are they FF or RF in their car seat? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 131 Old 01-05-2011, 06:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

ds1 is 19mo and still RF. he's just over 22lbs and 33inches tall. the seat goes to 35lbs, but i suspect he'll outgrow it in height first. i feel a little bad as his legs are so cramped right now, but it doesn't see ot bother him yet. i'm hoping to RF till at least 2yrs.

#62 of 131 Old 01-05-2011, 10:05 PM

23 months, RF

we have a radian and a myride65

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

DS 2  waterbirth.jpg 8/18/12!!

#63 of 131 Old 01-06-2011, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbuckmom View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavy View Post

I have known about RF for many many years but I have never had any of them RF beyond about 15 months (when they outgrew their first seat).I don't know anyone in RL who would RF so late.  I know a lot about RF seats, but when I research it closely I'm not convinced enough to go to the trouble (a lot of trouble it would be for me, too).

Just curious:  How would it be trouble for you?  Is it getting the kids in and out of the seats that is hard or having your driver seat set closer to the steering wheel to accommodate the rear facing seat?

I never got that far.

It would cost a lot, not just for the seat (I think they cost 200+ quid) and realistically, DH would have to take a day off work (so using up a day's vacation, too).  To be sure that DC got picked up from school in time.

The nearest place that can fit them is about 2 hours drive away.  So the extra costs of that (20p/mile in our old car, 40p/mile in our current vehicle, so 160 miles roundtrip, and an extra 32 quid in cost in old car.  And there would be no guarantee once we got there that they would have a seat that fit.  Certainly not with the other 2 children across the back (in the old car).  Plus I have the impression that old car was completely unsuitable because it didn't have a tetherstrap or somesuch.

Now we have a bigger car, newer so might have the straps to fit a RF seat, but still 64 quid in travel costs just to go try one out, but would still have the stress and hassle (and extra risks) just to get there.  And still might find it was unsuitable or not a good fit.

All for a family that only drives ... 4k miles per year?

I just couldn't justify it.  The risk/cost tradeoff didn't justify it.

Might be different if the seat cost 70 quid and I could get one fitted within 20 miles of here.

If I seriously want to reduce risks of accident to DC there are a lot of other things I could arguably do... but don't choose to do either.  Like never cycling with DC in a bike seat.  Never letting them walk to school alone.  Never leaving them alone in the house.  I'm just not a zero/minimal risk type person, though.

~ Yank Transplant to Britain and Zookeeper of 4 DC age 10 and under. ~
#64 of 131 Old 01-06-2011, 10:38 AM

My son is 20 months.  We turned him FF at 15 months (he was plenty big enough by law at 12 months).  He had always hated the car and now he does not care.  

However i do not look at/think anyone who does ERF is weird nor would i comment on it.

SAHM to 5 cats, a crazy toddler and my new baby girl born at home 3/12/12.

#65 of 131 Old 01-06-2011, 09:42 PM

He'll be three in a week and a half and he's RF in a MyRide65.

#66 of 131 Old 01-07-2011, 01:39 PM

IRL I know of one other toddler that is RFing.  She's at least 19 months because that's the minimum age for the class our DDs are in together.  I secretly squeal with glee when I see her in her seat, but I'm too shy to comment on it.  I keep waiting for the opportunity to park next to the mom to exchange the "so glad I'm not the only one" look.

#67 of 131 Old 01-07-2011, 04:48 PM

DD is RF at 28months, 27lbs.

IRL we know at least two more RF 27-29 month olds, and no FF ones.

#68 of 131 Old 01-07-2011, 08:34 PM

irl, i don't know any other rfing three year olds and get told to turn ds around quite frequently. i also get told that carseats don't expire and that I shouldn't have any trouble picking one up at a yard sale for $5, so...`

#69 of 131 Old 01-07-2011, 08:47 PM

My ds is 3.5yrs next week, 25lbs and 35.5" tall.  He rides rearfacing and he will until he outgrows the XTSL (so when he is 45lbs or gains 5" of torso height, which ever comes first)

#70 of 131 Old 01-07-2011, 09:01 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I have known about RF for many many years but I have never had any of them RF beyond about 15 months (when they outgrew their first seat).I don't know anyone in RL who would RF so late.  I know a lot about RF seats, but when I research it closely I'm not convinced enough to go to the trouble (a lot of trouble it would be for me, too).

Just curious:  How would it be trouble for you?  Is it getting the kids in and out of the seats that is hard or having your driver seat set closer to the steering wheel to accommodate the rear facing seat?

I never got that far.

It would cost a lot, not just for the seat (I think they cost 200+ quid) and realistically, DH would have to take a day off work (so using up a day's vacation, too).  To be sure that DC got picked up from school in time.

The nearest place that can fit them is about 2 hours drive away.  So the extra costs of that (20p/mile in our old car, 40p/mile in our current vehicle, so 160 miles roundtrip, and an extra 32 quid in cost in old car.  And there would be no guarantee once we got there that they would have a seat that fit.  Certainly not with the other 2 children across the back (in the old car).  Plus I have the impression that old car was completely unsuitable because it didn't have a tetherstrap or somesuch.

Now we have a bigger car, newer so might have the straps to fit a RF seat, but still 64 quid in travel costs just to go try one out, but would still have the stress and hassle (and extra risks) just to get there.  And still might find it was unsuitable or not a good fit.

Might be different if the seat cost 70 quid and I could get one fitted within 20 miles of here.

If I seriously want to reduce risks of accident to DC there are a lot of other things I could arguably do... but don't choose to do either.  Like never cycling with DC in a bike seat.  Never letting them walk to school alone.  Never leaving them alone in the house.  I'm just not a zero/minimal risk type person, though.

Or you could just check on here or car-seat.org and see what seats are compatible with your car (most seats fit in most cars), order them online, and READ THE MANUAL and install them all by yourself.   Shipping is often free, they come to your house, and its free to install it yourself.   If you do a little research first, you can find something you know will work, you just have to go stick it in the car.  And I dont think they are 200 quid, thats $300+, there are a LOT of seats for far less that will work. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsBone View Post

We RF'ed until DS was 13 months. At that point he was still in his infant seat. He's super tall and skinny. The reason we flipped is that he is so tall, and there is evidence to support both ideas of thought on this. Depending on the type of car accident you are in will depend on which way is safer. I just went with my gut on this one :)

The vast majority of fatal crashes are from the front or the side, and rearfacing protects best against this.  Most crashes where you are rear-ended are very minor (slower speeds, someone not paying attention to the light going red or in traffic or something).  Crash tests all show that rearfacing is 500% safer for kids under 2yrs old.    I have never seen a crash test saying a forward facing 13month old is safer than a rearfacing 13month old, where did you see the "evidence to support both sides" that says rearfacing is less safe?

#71 of 131 Old 01-07-2011, 09:29 PM

My DD is 3.5 and RFing in her BLVD.

We're planning on upgrading to the XTSL when she outgrows the rearfacing weight on her current seat to extend her RFing. But she's only 29lbs right now, so we probably have at least another six months?

R~Mama to my sweet A 7//07 & bubbly Z 3/12

AND belly.gif due 9/13

#72 of 131 Old 01-07-2011, 09:39 PM

DD1 is 4 y 4 mo and RF in a Complete Air.  She does ride FF in a Nautilus in DH's car 1-2 times a week.  She is about 39 in and 36lbs, and fits well.  She does not complain about RF at all.

DD2 is 16 mo and only about 18lbs.  Obviously she's RF as well.

SAHM to flower.gif DD1 8/06 , loveeyes.gif DD2 8/09 , and bfinfant.gifDD3 9/12  married to geek.gif 6/99.  We homeschool.gif, cd.gif, homebirth.jpg, familybed2.gif, and lots of wash.gif and dishes.gif.

#73 of 131 Old 01-07-2011, 10:26 PM
Banned

24 mos - front facing

#74 of 131 Old 01-07-2011, 10:34 PM

20 months, RF

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#75 of 131 Old 01-07-2011, 11:18 PM

I turned ds1 at 20 pounds he is on the small side so 20 pounds he was just about 2 i believe. but he had very bad carsickness and so would SCREAM the whole. way. anywhere.

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

#76 of 131 Old 01-08-2011, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighi123 View Post

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I never got that far.

Or you could just check on here or car-seat.org and see what seats are compatible with your car (most seats fit in most cars), order them online, and READ THE MANUAL and install them all by yourself.   Shipping is often free, they come to your house, and its free to install it yourself.   If you do a little research first, you can find something you know will work, you just have to go stick it in the car.  And I dont think they are 200 quid, thats $300+, there are a LOT of seats for far less that will work. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsBone View Post

We RF'ed until DS was 13 months. At that point he was still in his infant seat. He's super tall and skinny. The reason we flipped is that he is so tall, and there is evidence to support both ideas of thought on this. Depending on the type of car accident you are in will depend on which way is safer. I just went with my gut on this one :)

The vast majority of fatal crashes are from the front or the side, and rearfacing protects best against this.  Most crashes where you are rear-ended are very minor (slower speeds, someone not paying attention to the light going red or in traffic or something).  Crash tests all show that rearfacing is 500% safer for kids under 2yrs old.    I have never seen a crash test saying a forward facing 13month old is safer than a rearfacing 13month old, where did you see the "evidence to support both sides" that says rearfacing is less safe?

I was wondering this myself.

I'm glad I started this thread. It's interesting.

Wife of 10 yrs to Oaties, Mama to Bubs 08/06/08, Rizie 04/19/10 & MRae 02/02/13 & to dog2.gif

#77 of 131 Old 01-08-2011, 04:43 PM

I am having flashbacks thinking about rearfacing my DD until 2 yrs old or older.  She screamed bloody murder every time she was in the car form the day we brought her home from the hospital until the day we turned her around at 1 yr (she was 26 pounds and as tall as some 2 yos at a year).  No wait, that's not true - she gave us a break for about a month at 9 months old, then started up again.  We tried EVERYTHING anyone IRL or here on MDC suggested, and the only thing that stopped her was turning her around (looking back we think it was a combination of motion sickness and separation anxiety, which she had in SPADES on top of her very intense personality).   It was pure torture for me to try to drive like that, and for my DS who had to trapped in his seat next to her listening to her scream every time we were in the car - he'd go into this catatonic gaze out the window and just totally check out.   Oh how I wish she would have been happier in the car that first year.    With DS, we didn't know anything about extended rear facing; he would have likely been happy to face backwards past a year.

And I know someone might say, 'would you rather have a screaming baby or a dead baby?', but that's not really helpful when you're just about in tears yourself every time you drive whether it's 2 minutes or 2 hours. 

Heather, WAHM to DS (01/04)DD (06/06). Wed to DH(09/97)
#78 of 131 Old 01-08-2011, 05:00 PM

DD is 27 months and FF.  We switched her at 26 months.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#79 of 131 Old 01-08-2011, 05:36 PM

DS3 is 24 mo and RF in a True Fit

#80 of 131 Old 01-08-2011, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The4OfUs View Post

I am having flashbacks thinking about rearfacing my DD until 2 yrs old or older.  She screamed bloody murder every time she was in the car form the day we brought her home from the hospital until the day we turned her around at 1 yr (she was 26 pounds and as tall as some 2 yos at a year).  No wait, that's not true - she gave us a break for about a month at 9 months old, then started up again.  We tried EVERYTHING anyone IRL or here on MDC suggested, and the only thing that stopped her was turning her around (looking back we think it was a combination of motion sickness and separation anxiety, which she had in SPADES on top of her very intense personality).   It was pure torture for me to try to drive like that, and for my DS who had to trapped in his seat next to her listening to her scream every time we were in the car - he'd go into this catatonic gaze out the window and just totally check out.   Oh how I wish she would have been happier in the car that first year.    With DS, we didn't know anything about extended rear facing; he would have likely been happy to face backwards past a year.

And I know someone might say, 'would you rather have a screaming baby or a dead baby?', but that's not really helpful when you're just about in tears yourself every time you drive whether it's 2 minutes or 2 hours. 

I think that's a special situation though, because when your child is screaming, it's dangerous every time you drive, regardless of which way the child is facing.  I would think one's risk of getting into an accident is much higher when there is a screaming baby in the car.  I'm fortunate that my kids grew out of the screaming at a few months old, but I have a close friend who turned her son shortly after a year because the screaming was so intense.  She feels horribly guilty about it, but she nearly got into accidents several times because she was so distracted by the screaming.

nolonger likes this.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#81 of 131 Old 01-08-2011, 06:58 PM

I think a kiddo who is seriously not happy RFing after trying everything should be turned FFing.  Driving with a screaming kid is pure torture and its hard to concentrate on the road and everything around you.  If the only think that keeps the car peaceful is FFing.. then by golly FFing should probably be done.

My kiddo is about 22 months old and RFing.  I think she is 26ish pounds?  She will be RF for awhile probably.  We'll turn her around once we have another kiddo if we can't make two RF in our car work or can't get a new vehicle.  We'll see when she gets turned around if we can keep her RF til the limits of her seat.  Based on her current growth rate, she might get turned around before the 45 pounds but we'll see.

#82 of 131 Old 01-08-2011, 06:59 PM

DS is 23mo and still RF, will be until we reach the limits of his seat which will be at least another year I would guess

Charlotte wife to B momma to Q 2/22/09
#83 of 131 Old 01-08-2011, 07:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

14.5 months, RF.  We plan to keep him RF until at least 2.

DD was RF until 15 months.

Erin, mom to DD (1/06) and DS (10/09)
#84 of 131 Old 01-09-2011, 08:43 AM

We turned DD at 22 months. Much earlier than I had thought I would, but it works for our family. It changed all car trips from hideous screaming to placid talking about what she could see. I used to think the "she can see more" thing was a furphy, but for us it is totally the case. Happier kid=safer driver for us. At 22 mths I felt it was a good balance though i did soul search.

DS (8 mth) is obvioulsy still RFing and i will keep him RFing until at least 2ish depending on his temperament, but I wouldn't FF him before I did with DD.

Leila, mama to Eleanor (10/08) and Emmett (4/10)

Visit my blog! www.rookblog.com

#85 of 131 Old 01-09-2011, 12:45 PM

31 months and still happily rear-facing.

I hear all about the "big busses" and "trucks" he sees out the window.  He's quite happy and comfortable!  

OB RN, partner tobikenew.gif and mama to jog.gif (2008, 31 weeker) and babygirl.gif (2011) vbac.gif femalesling.GIF   novaxnocirc.gif  cd.gif

#86 of 131 Old 01-10-2011, 11:57 AM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My 17m is rf Radian and will be until she hits the h/w limits or at least until 2 ish. We had to switch DS earlier because he was so tall and heavy.

#87 of 131 Old 01-10-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2soren View Post

31 months and still happily rear-facing.

I hear all about the "big busses" and "trucks" he sees out the window.  He's quite happy and comfortable!  

Ditto. I hear people say they turned their kids so they can see but DS (29 months) appears to see plenty RF. We just bought a Radian XTSL so he'll be RF to 45 pounds and the new baby will get his True Fit.

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
#88 of 131 Old 01-10-2011, 12:12 PM

DD is 27 months and still RFing. She'll stay RF until she reaches 35 lbs. I don't know anyone IRL who RF their kids after 20 lbs. But they all know mine needs to be RFing.

#89 of 131 Old 01-11-2011, 11:32 AM

I have my 24-month-old (25 months tomorrow!) in a rearfacing TrueFit. He has no issues with it, and in fact his legs don't even touch the seat in front of him, so I see no compelling reason to flip him yet. He doesn't seem to mind rearfacing, unlike his older brother, who was FF before he was 2 because I was sick of the screaming when he couldn't see me. I think my almost-5-year-old was over 3 before we turned her FF. She has really long legs and was often uncomfortable, and also was right at the weight limit. My little one, though, has the biggest head ever, and I worry about the strain on his neck muscles if he was FF in an accident.

Nealy

#90 of 131 Old 01-11-2011, 01:47 PM

BOTH. dd is 30 mos old.  her car seat doesnt RF in DH's car or Nana's car but she does in mine. She doesnt seem to mind switching back and forth either =)

h20homebirth.gif    femalesling.GIF-     familybed2.gif   -Yep... thats me redface.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page