how old is your toddler & are they FF or RF in their car seat? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-02-2011, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Well the question sums it up.

I am really curious as to how many of you out there do extended RF. DS is 2y5mo almost & DH keeps giving me a hard time for keeping him RF.

I dont want to get into the pros & cons of extended RF bec that is for another area of the forum. I just am interested in the age you went/are planning to go FF.

Thanks

Wife of 10 yrs to Oaties, Mama to Bubs 08/06/08, Rizie 04/19/10 & MRae 02/02/13 & to dog2.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2011, 11:33 PM

DDis 25 mo and still RF.  She is super tall (97th percentile) so she does have to bend her legs.  But she doesn't mind/care so we have no plans to flip her any time soon. 

enjoying motherhood way more than science:
married to DH love.gif (2003) mama to DDenergy.gif(Nov 2008) & DSbabyf.gif   (Mar 2011)

Old 01-02-2011, 11:57 PM

DS is 2.5 and still rear-facing, if I can fit 2 rear-facing in my tiny Honda Fit (baby is arriving in March), he will stay rear-facing until he outgrows his Radian 80.  

I figure driving around is the most dangerous thing we do, so rea-facing is very important to me.

Julia, mama to Bumpa 2008, and The Mole 2011

Old 01-03-2011, 01:04 AM

My daughter will be 2 next month and will rear face until she outgrows the ability to do so in her current seat. :)

:
Old 01-03-2011, 05:14 AM

My almost 2.5 year old is still RFing.  I plan to keep him that way until either his younger sibling is ready for the seat or when he outgrows it and since he lasted in his bucket till around 13-14 months old, he'll be nearly 4 when we FF him.  FF might come sooner in my car since my seat only goes to 35lbs.  He's maybe 26lbs right now.  He doesn't mind at all. 

I don't know anyone IRL who extended RF.  It seems like everyone at daycare FF their child unless they are still an infant.

Ryan 08-28-08  & Julianna 5-3-11
Old 01-03-2011, 05:31 AM

My son just turned 2 and he is rear facing. I am getting a hard time from family too but I won't get into that even though I really want to vent and tell you what they said and I said back, LOL

I plan to keep him rear facing until he outgrows his seat.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:15 AM

We turned my son FF when he was about 16 months in preparation for his little sister (there was no way we could fit 2 RF car seats in my car).

Jennie, mama to Wyatt (3/25/09) and Emma (11/22/10) novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpg
Old 01-03-2011, 07:18 AM

My son is 32 mos old and still rf'ing. We have no plans to flip him. He is happy and really small so being somehow "uncomfortable" (to quote a woman at my daycare) isn't even an issue.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:34 AM

15 mo and RFing. Don't plan to turn her until at least 2 probably longer unless there is some unforeseen circumstance.

Mom to: Honey (6/04) and Bunny (9/09)
Old 01-03-2011, 09:05 AM

we turned our son around as soon as he met the minimum age and weight requirements to be FF. He absolutely hated rear-facing and would scream the entire time we were in the car. Turning him around completely solved that problem.

Mother to one (8/08) with another on the way (04/11)
Old 01-03-2011, 09:05 AM

DS is 26 months and still RF.  He's getting close to outgrowing the seat RF by height.  (He's almost 1 inch from the top of the shell.  Weight wise he's ok.  He's 30 lb and it goes to 35).  But I'm planning to get another seat so he can RF longer.  I figure by that time DS2 will be ready to be out of the bucket, and then we'll need another convertible car seat by then anyway.  If I didn't have to buy another seat, I'd probably just turn DS1 when he outgrew the seat, but since I have to buy another one, I'm going to get one that ensures he can RF even longer.

My dad recently was giving me a hard time about having DS1 rearfacing.  I really don't understand why he cares which way DS1 faces.  He never has to drive him anywhere.  My husband would probably turn DS1 if he had his way, but he knows better than to start the argument with me :)  He probably just figures it's easier to keep DS1 RF than to try to convince me otherwise. 

I know 1 person IRL that does extended RF.  I also know a bunch of people with babies younger than mine, so we'll see if they end up turning their babies at 1 year of age. 

Old 01-03-2011, 09:39 AM

my 19 month old is barely at the 20lb mark, so she's definately RFing. I'm going to keep her that way until she outgrows her MR, and I'm thinking that when we get our second convertible seat we may get one that can RF a little taller, though she isn't tall. 

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg
Old 01-03-2011, 09:45 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I don't have a toddler but I ERF to 40 lbs or they exceed the height of the carseat.  DS2 is 5.5  and he still RF in his Complete Air seat

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:49 AM

25 months and still rear facing here.  We plan to purchase another car seat that will allow us to rear face longer once she outgrows the RF limit on her current seat.  She is tall but likes to put her feet up on the back of the seat.

Mama to a little bouncy girl (11/08) and someone new coming 11/11!
Old 01-03-2011, 09:59 AM

Unless your kid is screaming his head off in the carseat, what exactly does your dh think turning him will accomplish? Does he have some sort of evidence that it would be safer for your ds to turn FF?

Old 01-03-2011, 10:01 AM

dd1 is 3.5 years old and RF, dd2 is 22 months and RF.  they will still that way until a minimum of 4 years of age; after that, i will discuss their preferences with them.  at this point, they both prefer to be RF.  we had to have dd1 FF one day while in my mom's car and she asked to be turned around the whole time.  

people IRL think we are a little strange ( i don't know a single person who has their kids RF past 1 year and 20lbs) but that doesn't bother me.  i parent based on what i believe to be best for my kids.

wife to dh, mama to dd1   june 2007, dd2 march 2009 and dd3 april 2011
Old 01-03-2011, 10:24 AM

DD will be 2 next month. She's RF. She is only 21 pounds though. I won't turn her for a LOOONG time. Our seat goes to 35 pounds. I suspect she'll outgrow in height before weight.

People comment to me too. I had one friend who's son is the same age as DD say "wow, I know its safer but I can't believe you haven't turned her around yet." So even if they know its safer most people turn their kids at the 1 year/20 pound mark. I don't really get it.

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

Old 01-03-2011, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

even our mainstream pedi is recommending 2 years old now. The crash test videos themselves are enough to keep me from turning him.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

Old 01-03-2011, 11:57 AM

My 18 month old Daughter is RF, and will be or as long as possible. None of my friends ERF and I have no idea why you wouldn't, it's 5 times safer!

Old 01-03-2011, 12:07 PM

I have an 11 month old obviously still RFing. I'll keep her RFing until she starts to not want to, probably around 2. 27 month old is FF now. She RFd until 2. DD1 was FF, and DD2 wanted to be like her sister. She threw fits and always wanted to sit in sisters car seat.

treehugger.gifAngie(25) Birth Doula and wife to Army man Bob(25), mommy to...dust.gifMeadow Shae(6),energy.gifLily Rain(4)homebirth.jpg, and joy.gif Sage Ashlyn(3). jog.gifAndrew Houston(9/3/11)

Old 01-03-2011, 12:16 PM

My twins are almost 2 and still rf!!  They will be rf till the weight limit on their seats.  I am glad our britax MA expires in May so I can get a new seat and continue to rf.  Our MA goes to 33lbs.  I wish I knew about extended rf when my 5yr old was little as he would have been rf as long as I could.

Lynn, wife to Jason  SAHM to Nate, Riley and Jon
Old 01-03-2011, 12:16 PM

oops, double post

Lynn, wife to Jason  SAHM to Nate, Riley and Jon
Old 01-03-2011, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post

Unless your kid is screaming his head off in the carseat, what exactly does your dh think turning him will accomplish? Does he have some sort of evidence that it would be safer for your ds to turn FF?

No, He just knows DS would be able to see the 'trucks & busses' better if front facing & thinks he would have more fun eyesroll.gif

Wife of 10 yrs to Oaties, Mama to Bubs 08/06/08, Rizie 04/19/10 & MRae 02/02/13 & to dog2.gif

Old 01-03-2011, 12:24 PM

DD is 31 months and RF, twin DS's are 7 weeks and RF.  DD is 32lbs, RF in a TrueFit.  We plan to get a Complete Air soon and hand the TF down to one of the boys so DD can RF longer. 

DD sits in the 3rd row of our minivan and has a spectacular view of cars, trucks, christmas lights, etc.  It's like her own personal picture window.  If she were FF she would have a view of mostly the seat in front of her. 

ribbonrainbow.gif: mamas to one DD (5/08) and two DS's (11/9/10 @ 35wks)
blogging.jpgnocirc.gifdelayedvax.gifgd.gif1pump.giftoddler.giffamilybed2.gifcd.gif
Old 01-03-2011, 12:35 PM

DS is about to turn 4 weighs 35 pounds and still RF, DD just turned 2 and weighs 22 lbs.  They both will stay RF until they outgrew their seats and no new seats are available to continue to be RF.

SAHM Michael 01-07 & Emmy 12-08
Old 01-03-2011, 12:53 PM

DD is 31 months and 27lbs. She continues to RF and I think she will until she maxes out her seat at 35lbs. One evening last summer we turned her FF for go to the drive-in because we thought she'd like to sit in her seat for some of the movie. Well, she complained the ENTIRE trip that she was uncomfortable. (And we turned her back RF for the trip home.) She likes to have her feet up against the back seat and she certainly doesn't miss anything out the window when we're driving. None of my friends still have their toddlers RF, but no one really comments on DD being so. A couple of mom friends and family members have asked since DD turned two about our extended RF and I simply tell them it's safer and DD's preference anyway. DH let me make the call since I did all of the research.

Old 01-03-2011, 01:08 PM

My DD2 is RF in a True Fit and she is 29 months. She has no issues with being RF and she'll be RF until she's 35lbs which probably won't be for at least another year.  My DH has questioned it but once I showed him the actual facts, he backed right off. He knows this is one issue that he has no say in. I turned my DD1 FF at like 18 months because I got advice from someone who had 2 kids and "must be educated about stuff like this". I totally regret turning her so soon and am very grateful nothing bad happened.

Old 01-03-2011, 01:43 PM

Dd is 25 months, 25lbs and rear facing.  I'm really hoping that she stops growing as fast as she is right now (so far gaining a lb a month since 18 months) because her seat only goes to 30lbs (its a marathon but we're in Canada and we bought it during that stupid time when all rf car seats had to have to same limit, so they had to go with the lowest).  Dh does not want to buy her another seat, as if we turn her ff she can stay in her seat and thus save 300ish$.  so I am REALLY hoping we can keep her in this carseat for at least another year....

Tricia
Canadian Mama to E 2yrs
Someone new coming October!
Old 01-03-2011, 01:51 PM

my 18mo RF and we don't have any plans to turn him any time soon. We bought his carseat with extended rearfacing in mind

hijab.gif Childbirth Educating and Doula-ing wife toflowersforyou.gif , and mama to hammer.gif6/09. Story of my life:buddamomimg1.pngduh.gif knit.gifscared.gifsewmachine.gifdishes.gifcd.giftea6.gifread.gifsleepytime.gif

Old 01-03-2011, 06:02 PM

DS is 14 months and is rear facing. We chose our carseat so he could rf as long as hmanly possible. The joke in our family is that he will go on his first date rfing and his college graduation ffing!

Cloth diapering, intactivist, babywearing, SAHM to DS with severe eczema born 10/17/09!!Attempting to relactate!

User Tag List