Anyone take their toddler to a live show of one of their favorite characters? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 01-03-2011, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Please share you're experience. Instead of doing a 3rd birthday party for DD we are thinking about taking her to see Dora the Explorer Live and then inviting a few people over for cake and icecream.

She was petrified of Elmo at Busch Gardens but on the two occasions she's seen Dora (after the Elmo incident) in costume she went up to her and talked and was very excited. The thing is....Dora in the live show isn't in a costume.She's a 20 something year old in a bad Dora wig dressed like Dora. I wonder if the experience will be the same for DD.THe tickets are ridiculous in cost but if she'll enjoy it we just have to tighten the budget the month the tickets go on sale.

I'd also like to go see Madagascar Live...alone. It looks like so much fun. LOL

#2 of 13 Old 01-03-2011, 01:59 PM

My son is now 9 so take this with a grain salt......

We took our son to see "Blue Clues" live and it was fun even if "blue" looked funny and it wasn't really "Steve".  My son loved it!!

We also took him to the Wiggles (amazing!), Nemo on Ice (he loved, I thought it was pretty lame and boring) and to meet Thomas the Tank w/ Special Guest Sir Topham Hat, LOL.  That was blast as we got to ride Thomas!

Slightly on the same topic- We took him to see the Lion King on Broadway when he was 4.  He sat on my lap and sang every song without ever seeing the movie. We owned the CD.  It was magical watching his face.

Pardon me while I puke.gif

#3 of 13 Old 01-03-2011, 02:06 PM

Yep. We took all of the kids 8, 5 and 3 y/o to see Yo Gabba Gabba live. It was so much fun. I think DH and I enjoyed it as much as the kids did and everything looked just like it does on the show.

gbailey likes this.

heartbeat.gif Mama to 5 busy bees (12, 9, 6, 3, 2) & 3 angel1.gif
#4 of 13 Old 01-03-2011, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

I love hearing about your sons experiences.Thank you. We'll be taking her then. DH reminded me that us being weirded out by a 20 something Dora probably doesn't mean much to DD. We'd love to take her to Lion King too.We saw a mock show at Disney Animal Kingdom over the summer and she particpated and really enjoyed herself.

Since it's her birthday, we want to get her VIP tickets because she'll get a meet and greet with Dora and a photo. The tickets are already, IMO, ridiculously expensive for a kids show so a bit extra to see that big smile on her face will be worth it. Nemo on Ice is something I would love. I'm a big ten year old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyBearsMom View Post

My son is now 9 so take this with a grain salt......

We took our son to see "Blue Clues" live and it was fun even if "blue" looked funny and it wasn't really "Steve".  My son loved it!!

We also took him to the Wiggles (amazing!), Nemo on Ice (he loved, I thought it was pretty lame and boring) and to meet Thomas the Tank w/ Special Guest Sir Topham Hat, LOL.  That was blast as we got to ride Thomas!

Slightly on the same topic- We took him to see the Lion King on Broadway when he was 4.  He sat on my lap and sang every song without ever seeing the movie. We owned the CD.  It was magical watching his face.

#5 of 13 Old 01-03-2011, 02:28 PM

We did this for Elmo when DS was 20 months old and it was the bomb. I loved sitting in the front row, DS got such a good view. Even though we wanted to meet Elmo, they stuck Cookie Monster out there instead, but it was still a really great experience. If you can afford it, then totally the way to go. I also want to do VIP for Madagascar, but it doesnt seem to be near me anytime soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbailey View Post

Since it's her birthday, we want to get her VIP tickets because she'll get a meet and greet with Dora and a photo. The tickets are already, IMO, ridiculously expensive for a kids show so a bit extra to see that big smile on her face will be worth it.

#6 of 13 Old 01-03-2011, 02:32 PM

We took DS to see Yo Gabba Gabba live when he was about 16 months old and he had a great time! He didnt freak out or anything.

Serena - married to Jason, mom to Sebastian (b.12.22.2008) and Poppy (b.07.07.2011) ♥

#7 of 13 Old 01-03-2011, 05:55 PM

We also did Yo Gabba Gabba Live, just before my son's second birthday. Seeing his face when he realized that the Gabba gang was in front of him was THE best moment in my life. The large price tag was so worth seeing his wildest dreams come true!

We opted not to go with the VIP package because he did have a track record of not liking people in costumes... but if and when they come back to our area we're going to spring for them as he seems much more accepting of those kind of things now. 

#8 of 13 Old 01-03-2011, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbailey View Post

I love hearing about your sons experiences.Thank you. We'll be taking her then. DH reminded me that us being weirded out by a 20 something Dora probably doesn't mean much to DD. We'd love to take her to Lion King too.We saw a mock show at Disney Animal Kingdom over the summer and she particpated and really enjoyed herself.

Since it's her birthday, we want to get her VIP tickets because she'll get a meet and greet with Dora and a photo. The tickets are already, IMO, ridiculously expensive for a kids show so a bit extra to see that big smile on her face will be worth it. Nemo on Ice is something I would love. I'm a big ten year old

You won't regret it! If you can swing it get the VIP. So worth it be up close and to "meet and greet".  Larry (Wiggles) shook our sons hand and let him strum his guitar.  He thought he was too cool.  Of course now he roles his eyes and just say "Moooooooom" while secretly loving it. 

If you can see Lion King on the big stage do it! I really think it helped him get into the theater at a young age.  He loves going to plays!  We saw Wicked this fall and are going to see Mary Poppins when it gets to Boston. 

Have so much fun!!!

Pardon me while I puke.gif

#9 of 13 Old 01-03-2011, 08:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

No & I'm not sure I would.

A few years ago a friend of mine had a box for a Dora show (nice comfy seats, couches & mini bar in the back - very nice) so I went along even though I was childless at the time. Thought the adults would be able to hang around in the back & chat while the children enjoyed the show. Not. It was by far the LOUDEST show of any kind that I have ever been to. It was so loud you absolutely could NOT speak to the person beside you.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#10 of 13 Old 01-04-2011, 06:25 AM

We took our son (at 12 months old) to see Signing Time live.  He enjoyed the show, as much as could be expected of a kid who just learned to walk and was keen to practice, but got REALLY excited when he met Rachel and realized exactly who she was.  It was adorable, and well worth the effort and expense of the evening, especially to have a photo of that moment where the lightbulb went off.

Cloud, mommy to her happy little Nimbus, born 11/09!
#11 of 13 Old 01-05-2011, 11:26 PM

I took my 3 year old to Yo Gabba Gabba a couple months ago and it was mind blowing for him (and me, when Biz Markie stepped out and started busting raps with the kids - I'm a child of the 80's and Biz Markie was a teen hero, lol). They had a huge balloon drop from the ceiling, and my son was thrilled to get out of his seat and dance to all the familiar songs. It was an awesome show, and though I coudn't afford to do something like that often, I may consider it on a once a year or so basis. 

#12 of 13 Old 01-14-2011, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

I feel bad for telling DD we'd take her to see Dora Live for her birthday only to find out there is no Dora Live Tour for 2011angry.gif It's my fault because my friend told me the show is every year at Radio City around Easter and I assumed it would be before  I opened by mouth. Instead, we'll take her to see Madagascar Live as a consolation. They have Thomas the Train too but she's never seen that show so I won't bother.

#13 of 13 Old 01-14-2011, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Just read this to DH. "Biz was at Yo Gabba Gabba?! For real?!" LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manzanita Pixie View Post

I took my 3 year old to Yo Gabba Gabba a couple months ago and it was mind blowing for him (and me, when Biz Markie stepped out and started busting raps with the kids - I'm a child of the 80's and Biz Markie was a teen hero, lol). They had a huge balloon drop from the ceiling, and my son was thrilled to get out of his seat and dance to all the familiar songs. It was an awesome show, and though I coudn't afford to do something like that often, I may consider it on a once a year or so basis. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page