Early potty training (20 months). Anyone else doing this? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 49 Old 01-14-2011, 09:05 AM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

We didn't do naked time really but we transitioned to underwear early. This is key for both of us. A parent or caregiver is much more aware of potty time when underwear are involved. and the kid gets instant feedback which diapers don't give. We do the more expensive training pants with built in PUL (imse vimse) which are totally worth it. He was a regular pooper and always pooped as part of his morning routine. One or two chances to sit and we have had very few accidents.

DD is younger and hasn't figured out the poop on the potty yet. She still wants to stand. She'll probably need more naked time and we've had a few poop accidents that have been very effective. If she poops (we have concrete floors, no big deal) she'll come get me. 

And I also agree, this isn't early potty learning. It is regular potty learning. It is much easier than what I've witnessed with parents who start when their kids are much older.

#32 of 49 Old 02-24-2011, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

OK ladies, I need your thoughts.  DS will be 22 months in a couple of days.  At the beginning of this week, we took off his diapers and put him in regular underwear (I prefer him not to sit with a naked bum on furniture or the floor for hygiene reasons, so we are using underwear).  He pees in his pants consistently.  We show him where the potty is and tell him that this is where he should go pee and poo.  Other than that, we don't punish or reprimand when he goes in his underwear.  From what I can tell, he still does not have the sensation of having to go pee.  He realises that he is peeing when he is in midstream or already done.  So if we were really "training" him, he would not be "ready".

I'm just wondering how long, in your experience, this phase takes at this age once the diaper has been removed and they are naked or in underwear.  I'm thinking it could take a month.

Roman Goddess, mom to J (August 2004) and J (April 2009).    h20homebirth.gif signcirc1.gif
#33 of 49 Old 02-27-2011, 08:44 AM

It sounds like you're doing this system? If not, you should look into it because it will probably help you a lot (the idea you are doing is the same). I loved it. Once I put my dd in underwear at 19 months, with diapers still going out or at bed, she was dry in 3 days, including most night but we kept the diapers for a few weeks because I wasn't ready! My niece was 22 months and she was 3-4 days as well. One day, it just clicks! But for us, the magic key was giving up control to her via the 3day system. Before that, we were sitting her on the potty at intervals and while she would go, she would still pee on the floor like it was nothing. Oh, and the wording "Remember to tell mommy when you have to go pee so YOU can keep your pants dry". Then repeat a million times and rush your ds to the potty as soon as you notice he's going. We still say at night "You can keep your pants dry all night long, huh?" and she nods and says "OK!" and we high five. The system says you have to do it full-time, but we still used diapers when leaving the house and at naps and night for those first few days because I didn't want to be stuck at home. It still worked for us, and she actually often kept them dry anyway (I just told her that she could). GL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanGoddess View Post

OK ladies, I need your thoughts.  DS will be 22 months in a couple of days.  At the beginning of this week, we took off his diapers and put him in regular underwear (I prefer him not to sit with a naked bum on furniture or the floor for hygiene reasons, so we are using underwear).  He pees in his pants consistently.  We show him where the potty is and tell him that this is where he should go pee and poo.  Other than that, we don't punish or reprimand when he goes in his underwear.  From what I can tell, he still does not have the sensation of having to go pee.  He realises that he is peeing when he is in midstream or already done.  So if we were really "training" him, he would not be "ready".

I'm just wondering how long, in your experience, this phase takes at this age once the diaper has been removed and they are naked or in underwear.  I'm thinking it could take a month.

Mama to my little social butterfly 6/13/09

#34 of 49 Old 02-27-2011, 06:32 PM

Quote:

I think it took about a month, but with dd after that month that was it. She was pl'd. We started seeing some success at 2 or 3 weeks, but it was sporadic. What we did though was everytime dd started to pee I got her on the potty. Even mid stream. I would talk about it constantly, while she was peeing, everytime she looked at her potty "pee and poo go on the potty". I think at this age you need to be the one to physically get them to the potty (until it clicks). It's like when I tell dd not to do something, I have to redirect her myself. Words at this age aren't as important as actions. Good luck!

Tricia
Canadian Mama to E 2yrs
Someone new coming October!
#35 of 49 Old 02-27-2011, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks a lot for your reply.  Well, he's been in underwear for a week now and he is nowhere near having learned to go on the potty.  I've looked at your link.  It interests me but I don't want to invest in it if I am already doing what they recommend.  We basically just keep him in underwear, with the potty nearby, and when he pees, we lift him up and put him on the potty (but there is no time to pull down his underwear) and the rest of the pee goes in the potty.  Then he takes the potty and dumps the pee in the toilet (this is his absolutely favourite part).

We do not bother trying to sit him on the potty at intervals with one exception.  First thing in the morning, I put him on the potty on the off chance that his bladder is full, and run water from the sink.  But even when his diaper is dry (which occurs often!), he STILL does not go in the potty.  I even read to him for 15 minutes while he is on the potty but nothing comes of it.  Then 5 minutes after he is off the potty, he goes in his underwear (and then in the potty once I run to put him on it).

I should add that (so far) he is in no way oppositional to the potty or to not wearing diapers.  BUT he also doesn't seem to mind being in wet pants.

He now appears to say "peepee" in mid-stream as opposed to after the fact so I suppose that's some progress.  But this is definitely not a three-day program in our case!

I'll remember to use the phrase you mentioned from now on. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfairbabies View Post

It sounds like you're doing this system? If not, you should look into it because it will probably help you a lot (the idea you are doing is the same). I loved it. Once I put my dd in underwear at 19 months, with diapers still going out or at bed, she was dry in 3 days, including most night but we kept the diapers for a few weeks because I wasn't ready! My niece was 22 months and she was 3-4 days as well. One day, it just clicks! But for us, the magic key was giving up control to her via the 3day system. Before that, we were sitting her on the potty at intervals and while she would go, she would still pee on the floor like it was nothing. Oh, and the wording "Remember to tell mommy when you have to go pee so YOU can keep your pants dry". Then repeat a million times and rush your ds to the potty as soon as you notice he's going. We still say at night "You can keep your pants dry all night long, huh?" and she nods and says "OK!" and we high five. The system says you have to do it full-time, but we still used diapers when leaving the house and at naps and night for those first few days because I didn't want to be stuck at home. It still worked for us, and she actually often kept them dry anyway (I just told her that she could). GL!

Roman Goddess, mom to J (August 2004) and J (April 2009).    h20homebirth.gif signcirc1.gif
#36 of 49 Old 03-02-2011, 09:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Would you say a toddler isn't ready if she never pees in the potty? She's all for sitting on the potty and wants me to read to her, but she never goes on the potty. She actually doesn't pee for hours and then there's a huge puddle on the floor and she's telling me "Mama pee!" We've never tried for more than a day or two, so is it maybe something that she eventually figures out? She'll be 2 this month and I'm thinking of waiting until I'm out of school for the semester (end of April) and then giving it a real good try. Tips for her to understand actually peeing on the potty?

Superherolactivist.gif and mother to Peanut (03/20/09) and Twig (01/20/2012). Fighting for the rights of mothers out there who winner.jpg selectivevax.gif fly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg and much more! mdcblog5.gif 

#37 of 49 Old 03-03-2011, 05:32 AM

My 15m old daughter started showing awareness last month. She would wake up with a dry diaper, and I would set her on the bathroom floor while I did my own business. She would always end up going at the same time. So I bought her the baby bjorn infant potty. :) She gets up every morning with a dry diaper, and pees and poops on her little potty. I don't really consider it early training, though. it's more akin to EC (knowing when she needs to go and giving her the potty-tunity). 

She does the baby sign for diaper change throughout the day. Sometimes she will give the sign, but when I take off her diaper, it is dry, so I set her on her potty and she goes. Sometimes I will ask her if she wants to sit on her potty, and she will either shake her head yes or no. She can do the sign for poop, but sometimes that means "I just did" instead of "I have to." 

One thing that helps keep her interested (though using the potty is a daily habit at this point) is to have a small bucket of potty-only toys in the bathroom. She likes to sit on her potty and go through the bucket. Sometimes we even talk about the toys as she goes. It's so cute... She often gives the sign for "all done" when she is either bored of sitting on the potty or she has completely eliminated. 

I would never push her beyond what she is physically and mentally capable. but following her lead has brought us this far, so we will continue the potty-learning process with encouragement on my end and signs of readiness on hers. 

Wifey to Hubby, Mama to Boy (2004) and Girl (2009). 
#38 of 49 Old 03-03-2011, 09:50 AM

I actually didnt buy it, I just spent some time searching the internet for reviews and how it worked for other parents. I gleaned enough info from that to implement it, but I really think that phrase is what made it click for dd, rather than asking her if she needed to go since I didn't stick strictly to the system (and I know not all kids are the same!). And dd progressed the same way as your ds, from telling me that she had already peed, to telling me midstream, then finally before she went! One other thing, I always took dd's underwear off before putting her on the potty midstream even if it meant all the pee ended up in front of the potty and she was done by the time she sat down (of course I did it as quickly as possible hoping to make it!). I think it was important in helping her to know that she's not supposed to pee in her underwear and as soon as she does, it comes off. Good luck!

Quote:

Thanks a lot for your reply.  Well, he's been in underwear for a week now and he is nowhere near having learned to go on the potty.  I've looked at your link.  It interests me but I don't want to invest in it if I am already doing what they recommend.  We basically just keep him in underwear, with the potty nearby, and when he pees, we lift him up and put him on the potty (but there is no time to pull down his underwear) and the rest of the pee goes in the potty.  Then he takes the potty and dumps the pee in the toilet (this is his absolutely favourite part).

We do not bother trying to sit him on the potty at intervals with one exception.  First thing in the morning, I put him on the potty on the off chance that his bladder is full, and run water from the sink.  But even when his diaper is dry (which occurs often!), he STILL does not go in the potty.  I even read to him for 15 minutes while he is on the potty but nothing comes of it.  Then 5 minutes after he is off the potty, he goes in his underwear (and then in the potty once I run to put him on it).

I should add that (so far) he is in no way oppositional to the potty or to not wearing diapers.  BUT he also doesn't seem to mind being in wet pants.

He now appears to say "peepee" in mid-stream as opposed to after the fact so I suppose that's some progress.  But this is definitely not a three-day program in our case!

I'll remember to use the phrase you mentioned from now on. 

Mama to my little social butterfly 6/13/09

#39 of 49 Old 03-03-2011, 11:13 AM

Subbing...

My DS is 20mo and I've been trying to come up with the best time to try potty learning.  I'm a full time WOHM and my MIL watched DS at our home during the day.  Even though she says she will be on board with potting learning, I'm not convinced that she will really do what we need her to do during the day.  So...I have to try and get it really jump started over a weekend when I can be home with DS all day for a couple of days.  I told myself that I would do it over the next three-day weekend that comes up, but then I got sick and just didn't have the energy to go through with it.  So now I'm looking at Memorial Day as the next 3-day weekend and that is just a week before we go on a family vacation to Disneyland.  Probably not the best time to start.

Does anyone have any advice for potty learning techniques when mom is not the primary weekday caregiver?

Thanks!

~Erica~ Married to the love of my life ~ Mama to Nickolas jog.gif6/14/09 and Alexander 8/4/11 and Aiden brokenheart.gifgone too soon at 14 weeks~    

fly-by-nursing1.gifselectivevax.gifnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif
#40 of 49 Old 03-03-2011, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchyChristianMama View Post

For us, the sign of readiness was that I was pregnant and didn't want 2 kids in diapers.  orngtongue.gif

huhuh, Us, too!

I'm starting to wonder if it's really better this way. I mean, I know it is, but, still..... At 31 weeks preggo, it's already exhausting, disgusting and difficult to drop everything in public and take 22 mo DS to the potty in a public restroom.....keep him from sticking his hands in the toilet/trash/tampon receptacle...squatting down and make sure he's pointed into the bowl...and then waiting for it, and explaining that we don't have a book to read in this potty.....and then hoist him up to the sink and scrub those little hands, and get him to now REALLY not touch anything while we dry hands, fold up potty seat and collect our stuff.....

How the heck is this going to work with an infant strapped to me, or whatever?

Also, his new trick when he wants attention (like while i'm cooking), or if he's bored at the store (resulting in the above obnoxiousness), is to tell me he has to pee. So I can only imagine if I'm nursing Baby or whatever, he will claim to have to go.

But we started what I guess would loosely be considered EC somewhere around 9 months.

#41 of 49 Old 03-03-2011, 06:39 PM

My dd started telling me that she had to poop (used the potty sign) when she was 16.5 months old. She didn't even start (and by start I mean like once a week) figuring that she had to pee until about 23 months. Figuring out pee completely took until 27 months.

It made sense to me that she could tell about pooping so much faster, because it was always far more easy for me to tell that she had to poop.

#42 of 49 Old 03-03-2011, 07:50 PM

My son just turned 18 months and we are on day 9 of a true potty learning experience. Technically, we have been doing part-time EC since he was a month old. Some times often and some times not at all. Like when he would have major milestones (like walking), he would have nothing to do with his potty. But either way, he has known how to use it for a LONG time. For whatever reason, last week I decided to give it more of a concentrated go. I stopped putting his diaper on him. I would usually put his pajama pants on him since they were tighter at the bottom. The pee wouldn't go all over the floor, and he would still get the same sensation.

It has all gone really fantastic. We bought him undies over the weekend and he as worn them all day. Diaper at night and cloth trainers for naps and some outings.

For the most part, it has been all timing and me reminding him. The first couple of days, I would remind him and take him. Then I started to just remind him and only take him if it had been really long or we were out.

Each day he holds it longer and longer in between and he is starting to say, "I pee" more often these past couple of days.

Today he even started doing a "pee pee dance" which is the cutest thing ever. So, I told him he is doing a pee pee dance because he has to go the potty, and I grab him and say, "run" (in a really fun way) and we scurry off to the bathroom. I want him to understand the urgency of that dance. :)

Today he started to pee while I was holding him, but stopped the moment I felt it and said, "oh, your peeing- hold it" and he finished in the potty. This is are first miss/accident in four days, so, I think we are getting close.

I have been writing a blog each day to keep a record of how it all goes.

We are definitely further than I ever expected.

So, my only advice is go for  it all the way. Be patient, consistent and just matter of fact. We also have two potties. His old one in our play area, and we recently bought one of the little seats to go on the toilet seat.

I also bribe. I know a lot of other mommies don't, but I found it effective. We keep a box of those little Annie's bunnies (cookies) in the bathroom, and it is truly the only time he ever has cookies. There are times where he pees and wants one, and there are times he pees and just carries on as normal. I usually follow his lead.

I also talk about all of it with him. Do you have to pee? Where do you go pee pee? What do you get when you go pee pee in the potty?

He also gets to flush and likes to say bye bye to his potties and poos. :)

Michele married to Dh since Dec 2000 and happily sharing a home with 3 kitties, 1 doggy, DS R born 8/25/09 into the arms of his mama, and DS E born 2/25/2012

#43 of 49 Old 03-07-2011, 10:15 AM

My first daughter I started using elimination communication with at 6 months. She was out of diapers during the day at 17 months and at night at 18 months. My son, we've been doing elimination communication since day one. At almost 13 months, he is out of diapers at home (though we still have misses; gotta love the wood floors, lol!). When we are gone, I potty him right when I get somewhere. If he goes, I'll let him run around without a diaper. If he doesn't, it's a diaper or he can hang out on my back (since he never pees in the carrier). We have bad days where we miss almost half of the pees. We have good days where we might only miss once. He does not sign or say anything to go potty, but about a month ago he started occasionally taking himself to the potty to pee if he was naked butt at home. I don't expect to get done in three days or anything; I'm hoping he's like my daughter and will be done in the next six months. We'll see.

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

#44 of 49 Old 03-08-2011, 12:59 AM

I've been working on it with my 15-month-old.  When she's diaper-free, she squats before she pees, so she knows when she's going to go.  But if I put her on her potty, she gets off and pees next to it.

My mom had be completely trained at 13 months, and my brother at 16 months.  So I'm a bit behind the curve.  Oh well.  It'll happen.

#45 of 49 Old 03-08-2011, 09:51 AM

At 18 months our DS was staying dry through the night.  He was also a TERROR to put a diaper on (think two people to hold him down or one person who can restraining him with a leg over his upper body!)  So we thought, definitely time to potty train.

Now he's 30 months old and the last 12 months have been hellacious (is that word?).  We did cloth diapers so we didn't want to take a step backward by putting him in pull-ups.  So we've put him in plain underwear and have a few fancy cloth trainers.  With the amount of accidents he sometimes has there's no way we can afford enough cloth trainers.  Some days he'll only have 2 or 3 accidents.  Other days we'll be changing his clothes 8 or 9 times.

I don't know what we could have done differently seeing as the time was fast approaching when Mommy wouldn't even physically be able to put a diaper on him.  But I really really really really wish we had waited.  There was even a point where I was worried my stay-at-home DH would get so frustrated/angry/upset on a day with 3 poopy underwear accidents that he'd hurt our son.  We got through the worst parts together and have come to emotional acceptance with multiple accidents per day. 

We should have waited.  Some people can do it earlier, but that wasn't us.  And if I could go back in time I would tell myself there's no hurry.  95% of the other 2 years olds out there are still in diapers.  I wish mine was one of them.

Lovin my SAHD DH and 2 kiddos

#46 of 49 Old 03-09-2011, 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staryla View Post We got through the worst parts together and have come to emotional acceptance with multiple accidents per day.

I think, for me, part of what made the process okay is that I'm fine with misses. I let my son run around naked butt all day every day at home. My son pees on the floor just about every day. Occasionally, he poops on the floor. Cleaning up poop off hardwood floors is easier than cleaning it out of a cloth diaper. Cleaning up pee misses on the floor create just as much laundry and work as pee misses in a diaper. Yeah, the misses on our futon or at night on the bed create more laundry than diapering would have, but considering that he mostly uses the potty and sometimes will take himself without me, I'd consider the whole thing in terms of work to be easier than diapering at this point, even with the misses. The only time I get upset about misses are outside of the home. So, if we are going outside of the home, I will put him in a diaper except under circumstances I'm very sure we will not have a miss.

If a year and a half from now, my son still had multiple accidents a day, I would be kind of disappointed, but I wouldn't regret starting early.

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

#47 of 49 Old 03-12-2011, 08:39 PM

My oldest potty trained at about 22 months.  I don't recall that he was showing any particular "interest," but we basically woke up one morning and put him in underwear and never went back.  He got peeing down right away, but pooping took him a few weeks, then he got it.

My second child saw her dad on the toilet one day at about 19 months and indicated that she wanted to go potty.  He took off her pants and got out our potty chair, but she got up pretty quickly.  About 10 minutes later, he walked by the potty and saw that she had pooped in it.  I don't think she ever pooped anywhere but the potty after that--we put her in underwear from that day on, too, but she did have peeing accidents pretty regularly for a couple weeks, then occasionally for a couple more. 

My youngest is 18 months and occasionally asks to go potty--especially if she sees me using the bathroom, she'll start taking her pants off and saying "Potty!  Potty!"  I'm not ready to all-out train her right now, but I always help her get undressed and on the potty when she asks; she probably actually goes about every other time.  I imagine we'll potty train her in the next month or two--I suspect it will mostly just take a few days of hanging out at home with her in undies.

#48 of 49 Old 03-12-2011, 08:49 PM

I started ds on the potty at 9 months. He was in underwear all day at 15 months, with a few pullups thrown in for long car rides and whatnot. 

We got a potty for dd last week but we were trying to hold off on switching to pullups until she was walking independently. (She will only walk if she is holding onto her toy stroller....idk why, she doesn't need it) Well, she pulled her diaper off and peed on my carpets, so shoot, if I'm going to be cleaning pee out the carpets anyway, we might as well get this show on the road! lol

She peed on the potty twice today. It's pretty slow in the beginning, just getting them used to it, creating a routine around the potty, but right around 14 months it just seemed to click for ds and I'm hoping the same will happen with dd.

Very blessed mama to one bouncin' boy bouncy.gif (12/07) one angel3.gif who didn't get to stay (6/09), one potty learning, mess making divaenergy.gif(4/10), and one cheerful milk monster. aabfwoman.gif (12/11) Happy partner to the love of my lifedp_malesling.GIF.  

#49 of 49 Old 03-12-2011, 09:26 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Dd sort of initiated it herself.  She started asking to go to the potty.  So, I decided to go with it.  Got her some padded undies for around the house and she has maybe 1 accident a day (at 20 months) if that.  If she wasn't showing signs of readiness, I probably wouldn't have pushed it.  Ds1 did the same thing, but he was just a week away from his 2nd birthday.  Ds2, well, he finally trained at 3!  Every child is different.

I just wish dd ws old enough to do it all herself.  She doesn't have the gross/fine motor control to do so...

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page