Early potty training (20 months). Anyone else doing this? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 49 Old 01-06-2011, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm set to switch my DS from cloth diapers to cloth training pants later this month. Anyone else trying to potty train before age 2?  

Roman Goddess, mom to J (August 2004) and J (April 2009).    h20homebirth.gif signcirc1.gif
#2 of 49 Old 01-06-2011, 10:11 PM
Banned

I tried when DS was 20 mos.  We failed.  He did not get it.  We quit while he still enjoed it.

Ds did not seem to understand concept.

He is now 24 mo.  Trying again soon.

#3 of 49 Old 01-06-2011, 10:24 PM

I did. We started when DD1 was 22 months. She was fully trained day and night at 23 months. But I had been doing EC, she already peed and pooped on the potty every day and she was ready. It doesn't always work that way. Good luck!

Maegen, adventurous wife to DH, loving mom to my beautiful DD's and expecting another babe in March 2012!

#4 of 49 Old 01-07-2011, 12:24 AM

DS was completely diaper free at 19-months. It was led by him and we had used EC concepts from the beginning. He is 31-months now and looking back over the last year, I can say that he had no set-backs and very very few "accidents". The two that I can remember were when we were in unfamiliar environments and I think that he was unsure of what to do; on a long hike and at a playdate at a gymnastics center. Those two times taught me the importance of going over the potty options and letting him check them out before he really needed to go. 

treehugger.gif and geek.gif walking a path illuminated by our coolshine.gif5/08coolshine.gif 8/11 3rdtri.gif due in 1/14

brokenheart.gif6/10 brokenheart.gif10/10 

#5 of 49 Old 01-07-2011, 12:32 AM

We started "training" my son at 11 months.  We'd put him on the potty every diaper change and morning and night.  The first time we put him on he peed and pooped.    We got more and more frequent with potty trips as he got older and poo trained himself by 1 1/2.   At 24 months we took away diapers, but probably could have done it much sooner.

Good luck!!

#6 of 49 Old 01-07-2011, 05:25 AM

What did ya'll interpret as signs of readiness before age 2?  I would love to try early myself, but it's hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel with a 13 month old who's verbal communication consists of "all done"  "uh oh" "dad" and "grunt".  He has started hiding when he poops- one minute he's running around the living room, next he's under the coffee table, and then when he runs by PU!

#7 of 49 Old 01-07-2011, 05:26 AM
tzs

i think in the case of really early training....like the pp at 11 months....it might go smoother than at 20 months. i think i read somewhere that kids get control of their bowels/urine somewhere around 12 months. the reason this matters is that it seems like you have to start before then to introduce the idea of "going in the potty" if you want it to go super easily...otherwise it's hard for them to release into the potty.

not sure if i'm right on that but we started letting dd sit on the potty now at 15 months because she's so into imitating and although on of the first times she did pee, since then it's just been "for fun." it's like she knows what goes in there (because she fiddles with her parts and looks down there) but can't let go.) when i briefly did EC with her as an infant, all i'd have to do is turn on the water and she'd release.....not anymore. same with the 20-24 month olds in my preschool class. i've been putting them all on the potty after breakfast including one girl who supposedly goes sometimes at home but no actual pees.

i'm sure it can be done...it's just not going to be as easy as just putting them on at that age. i'm sure you'll get better info from other btdt moms though. 

good luck!

Reluctant 'Sconie, chassid and mama to sweet toughie Ada Bluma 9/9/09 and loving pittie-mix ("Judge the deed, not the breed!")
#8 of 49 Old 01-07-2011, 10:05 AM

We started training dd at 18 months. I bought her a bjorn potty and had her sit on it every time I went potty. Then we had her watch "once upon a potty" on YouTube. She loved it and watched it 30 times at least. Then we started taking her diaper off the minute she woke up after naps and in the morning. Then we gave up for a month or two, until one day she ran to her potty before a bath and peed. Then we bit the bullet and switched to gerber training pants. She was done training by 22 months and is now night trained as well (knock on wood!)

Wife to amazing dh, mama to dd 12/08
#9 of 49 Old 01-07-2011, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I started by putting ds on the toilet every morning & after naps at around 16 months. Before long he was dry through naps & we dropped the diaper for these (I liked him having some naked time every day so this seemed like a good way in the winter).

At 22 months I decided to take the leap. I took off the diapers & never looked back. I would say it took about a week for him to really get what was going on & then about a month before I felt really confident in saying he was potty trained. He was dry through the night within the first week & started refusing the diaper at night (I had not planned on trying to stop the diaper at night for quite some time).

When I was doing my reading I found something that said around 22months was actually an optimal time.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#10 of 49 Old 01-07-2011, 01:32 PM

Around 18-19 months we started putting DD on the potty at night before bed and she would potty.  It was a game to her and she liked all the cheering we did.  She knew what tooting was at the time and we would tell her to toot on the potty and that would usually lead to something coming out as well.  orngbiggrin.gif

At 22 months we took her out of diapers and straight into panties.  I have cleaned up more accidents than I care to count, but she's fully potty trained now when awake. 

For us, the sign of readiness was that I was pregnant and didn't want 2 kids in diapers.  orngtongue.gif

Elizabeth - Doing life with Scott partners.gif

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png
adoptionheart-1.gif  Follow our journey  mdcblog5.gif

#11 of 49 Old 01-07-2011, 04:39 PM

We started sitting my son on the potty at 9 months old, first thing in the morning and after every nap.  He always had to pee then, so it got him used the concept, and he also pooped a few times.  By 17 months he was able to identify when he was peeing and pooping, and we could identify his "poop face" (he would start running back and forth across the house right before he pooped, then stop, stare off and grunt a little sometimes, so it was very easy to read his poop signs).  It was over the summer, so we spent a lot of naked time with potties available, and he started going a lot more on his own.  Then I bought some underwear and, at 19 months, we were having completely dry days (still needed diapers for naps and nights, but we could catch almost everything else in the potty).  However, when he was 20 months old, we welcomed his sister into the world, and that has set the potty training back. He still goes on the potty regularly, but, honestly, I'm too lazy to make sure he gets on the potty for every poop and pee.  I'm nursing a lot or carrying the baby around, so it's not always easy to rush at his first sign and get his pants off and get him on the potty before an accident.

I think the main thing with early potty training is that it's way more work for the parents.  My son still, at 21 months, can't pull his pants up and down by himself, so we have to get him in and out of his clothes every time we think he has to go.  And he's verbal, but doesn't always communicate that he has to go in time, so we have to really be paying attention.  If your kid is ready and you have the time/energy to invest in it, I think it's great!  I am definitely going to pick back up with the potty soon, I just wanted to adjust to having two and not push the potty when there's so much else going on right now.

Jennie, mama to Wyatt (3/25/09) and Emma (11/22/10) novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpg
#12 of 49 Old 01-07-2011, 04:53 PM

I just put my 5-month old on the potty for the first time the other day, so I don't think there is such a thing as "too early." thumb.gif I did the same with my two older ds's, and they were both in underwear full time around 16-18 months. I really think if you introduce the potty in a non-pressure sort of way very early on, potty learning is pretty easy. And I like it better than washing diapers!

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
#13 of 49 Old 01-07-2011, 05:22 PM

Our DD will be 18months on Monday and we are going to get her a potty this weekend.

I don't really care if she gets potty trained or not. She just seems like she is ready to start the concept. She says potty, she is interested in us going potty and she likes to flush the toilet for us. She has recently over the last month or so been saying poo, pee and fart when she does these things. She also seems to be holding her pee longer because she is dry sometimes even after having a diaper on for 2 hours or more. Even a month or two ago we could change her every 1.5 to 2 hours and she would be soaked. I know it isn't dehydration because she does have many soaked diapers, she just seems to be holding it more and having bigger pees instead of many smaller pees. 

I think she will enjoy having a potty. And we will let her go on it anytime she wants to, and may encourage it after naps or meals or some other routine. It would be nice if she took to it, but I do fully expect her to be in diapers for quite some time still.

Me 40 eat.gif. Partner to mamacolleen 33 superhero.gif. DD born July 2009 blahblah.gif. Twin boys born Nov 2012.

We are a family that loves cold.giftreehugger.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#14 of 49 Old 01-07-2011, 08:54 PM

We started at 14 months (I would put her on the potty and encourage her to have diaper free time and say "oh you peed" when she peed), but got serious at 18ish months and were done by 19 months.  It took a month for it to click.  I hung out over on the EC board because that's basically what we were doing, just pretty late!  We had a set back when we moved for the 2nd time in 4 months and are still working through it.  She hasn't had a pee accident since 19 months!

Tricia
Canadian Mama to E 2yrs
Someone new coming October!
#15 of 49 Old 01-09-2011, 07:55 AM

It also took my about 1 month to potty train my DS1. I started at 20 months. He now has just turned 2 and is doing great. He is not night-trained and does have an occasional accident, but it is awesome! No more poppy diapers :)

Wifey to my DH 9/2005 and always busy SAHM  to my beautiful boys  twins.gif   Elijah 12/2008 and Caeleb 6/2010
Our baby girl  stork-girl.gif is arriving October 2012!!!

#16 of 49 Old 01-09-2011, 08:39 AM

We did the 3 day system at 22 months and it worked perfectly (4 days for pees, 8 for poops) both day and night. I highly recommend it (goodle lori jensen)

Leila, mama to Eleanor (10/08) and Emmett (4/10)

Visit my blog! www.rookblog.com

#17 of 49 Old 01-10-2011, 12:15 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Diaper Free Before 3 is great. We trained DS at 24 m and just started with DD at 17m. She is figuring it out pretty quickly.

#18 of 49 Old 01-10-2011, 01:37 PM

We introduced the potty at 18 months and he was was PL'd by 24months (except at daycare, that was another couple of months mainly because he was so reserved about asking his teacher for help. The bathroom was not accesible in the room). He was dry in the morning by 20 months (overnight potty learning was done by him!). We took it pretty easy and he probably was without accidents within a couple of months. But it was summer with lots of outdoor free naked time and all wood floors in our house at the time which made accidents not a big deal. I can see that our approach with ds1 may not work with ds2 if we are in our current rental house....

#19 of 49 Old 01-10-2011, 01:51 PM

Subbing smile.gif

My dd is 14mo and I am starting to put her on the potty after naps and anytime I am using the bathroom. We are working on the sign for toilet, and now anytime she poops she does the sign. I hope to have her out if diapers by her 2nd b'day. If she isn't, that's okay too.

Lauren

bellycast.gif 

#20 of 49 Old 01-10-2011, 03:51 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Dd2 has just turned 21 months and initiated using the potty starting about 3 weeks ago.

Signs of readiness--she takes off all her clothes. We figured out after about the second time that she sheds her diaper if she needs to go (or if she's just gone; she's still working on the timing) and that she believed, initially, that you have to ditch the shirt as well.

We've got a way to go, but she's peeing in her potty probably once or twice a day and clearly understands all the steps (pee, wipe, flush, wash hands).

Mom of two girls.
#21 of 49 Old 01-11-2011, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanGoddess View Post

I'm set to switch my DS from cloth diapers to cloth training pants later this month. Anyone else trying to potty train before age 2?  

I do. I do not consider it early potty training though. Being potty trained by two(at least in the day time) where I am from is the norm. I think we have trained children that to go in there pampers and now we have to untrain them.

But besides that for my son I did part-time EC and he was day-time trained by 18months and night-time by 21 months.

For DD I didn't do EC as I wanted to I tried when I felt in the mood. I found it took her longer to get comfortable sitting on the potty to just pee. But now at 21months she is using the toliet(she only wants to use the big toliet with the kid seat) in the day time and tells me when she needs to pee. I don't use any diapers on her in the day time now. The poops are different though, she wasn't comfortable sitting and pooping..Yesterday was the first time she pooped in the toliet..yay..I will see if it keeps up. She knows when she has to poop though as she tells us. That is when we put a pamper on her but she always takes it off because she didn't want to poop in it but couldn't get comfortable on the potty as yet..We had a few poops on the floor but good thing it is the normal solid ones we just pick up and sanitize the spot.

When I was starting out with DD I used the EC techniques..making the pss sound when I see her peeing, whether I felt it through her diaper or saw her while she didn't have a diaper on. I would tell her where pee pees go and she would always pretend to go for fun but didn't for months..we just made it familiar for her and then one day like a week before Thanksgiving she actually went and it took off from there.

#22 of 49 Old 01-11-2011, 01:38 PM

We just tried at 21 months because DD was so interested, but she didn't seem to be getting it so we stopped after just a couple days. Plan on trying again next month, but also keeping it relaxed. 

Superherolactivist.gif and mother to Peanut (03/20/09) and Twig (01/20/2012). Fighting for the rights of mothers out there who winner.jpg selectivevax.gif fly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg and much more! mdcblog5.gif 

#23 of 49 Old 01-11-2011, 03:23 PM

Both of my kids started showing signs that they were ready between 18-20 months, and made the transition from full time diapers to undies without too many problems. Although we facilitated them using the potty, we really just followed their lead (they would let us know when they were wet/dirty, were interested in using the toilet, and seemed to get it fairly quickly, once they peed in the potty).

With my daughter, we just let her run around naked for a week, and sat her on the potty every once in a while and she got it; my son got it even more quickly and was in undies on day two (but I think it's easier with boys...though I think that's not the general concensus!)

I think you have a window between 18-24 mos when kids are open to the idea, then not again til closer to three?

Good luck!

fridgeart, lucky mum to E (5) and Ro (2)
#24 of 49 Old 01-11-2011, 03:33 PM

I have 3 girls and 2 out of 3 were PT before 2 yrs, #2 by 17 mths day and night,#3 by her 2nd birthday.

my 1st was not PT until she was almost 3. IMO each child will potty train when he/she is ready so don't push it.

Sharon wife to my hero James and  momma to Kaitlyn 17, Tayler 15 and Anna 7.fur momma to Kami  pit/boxer mix.

#25 of 49 Old 01-11-2011, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all you replies.  I don't think my son will be willing to sit on the the potty at regular intervals just yet, so I'll just wait for him to wet his pants and then show him where the potty is each time.  

Roman Goddess, mom to J (August 2004) and J (April 2009).    h20homebirth.gif signcirc1.gif
#26 of 49 Old 01-11-2011, 06:56 PM

DS decided on his own at 19 months he was ready (he went to get the potty I'd bought around 13 months bc he was a nightmare on the change table)...he's had setbacks when he is too tired or in a new environment, but pretty much went from diapers to 100% potty in the first month. We still do diapers at night as we've just returned from a long stretch away (3.5 weeks) and alot of change in the fall, but are getting ready to try night time. Go for it, but read the EC info...it's so much less stressful for everyone than traditional 'potty training'.

bf, cd, no circ, selective vax, attempting toddler ec'ing, kick off your shoes at the door while we trying to simplify our lives kinda family.
#27 of 49 Old 01-11-2011, 10:11 PM

we're doing this now. DS just turned 16 months, he started pooping on the potty last month, right before Christmas.

i was home with few activites bringing me out of the house. DS likes his naked time, and he loves to do what his big sister (age 4.5) does.

i started letting him go naked. this is KEY.

you have to just assume that there will be many pees and poops on the floor and accept it.

watch him carefully. the more carefully you can watch him the better. at the first sign of peeing or pooping, run him to the potty, being very positive about it, not freaking out that it got on the floor. hopefully you can get him to finish on the potty. if so, big celebration, high fives all around, maybe take a picture, call grandma. this is all it took for us. luckily DS seems to be a fairly compliant child.

he eats a ton of fruit, so that helps keep the poops coming.

first thing in the morning, i get him on the potty. he will often push it out.

we've had many more misses on the pees. i've lost track of how many poops he's done on the potty.

NO PRESSURE.

he is young. at least he's not scared of the toilet.

once you start though, you should not really stop. we do have to go out and about, activites have started again. so it's diaper on for those things, and i just catch as many as i can once we get back home. diaper on overnight, too.

#28 of 49 Old 01-11-2011, 10:46 PM

DS (20 mos) has had a few pees on the potty, no poops yet. I feel like this is a good window to try it, as he is able to basically pee on command, and he is still very eager to please and loves all the positive attention he gets for it.

With DD, she was peeing on the potty quite a bit from 12-to 18 mos, then I got really busy with school and we missed our window. Then she completely refused and I had to wait until she was old enough to be able to reason with, closer to 3. I'd really rather not miss the window this time.

“War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.”
― George Orwell, 1984
#29 of 49 Old 01-12-2011, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by major_mama11 View Post

DS (20 mos) has had a few pees on the potty, no poops yet. I feel like this is a good window to try it, as he is able to basically pee on command, and he is still very eager to please and loves all the positive attention he gets for it.

With DD, she was peeing on the potty quite a bit from 12-to 18 mos, then I got really busy with school and we missed our window. Then she completely refused and I had to wait until she was old enough to be able to reason with, closer to 3. I'd really rather not miss the window this time.

What is the Elimination Communication approach?  My DS doesn't seem to show any signs at all of when he has to go and I have tried making the pssss sound and / or running water but he doesn't pee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElliesMomma View Post

we're doing this now. DS just turned 16 months, he started pooping on the potty last month, right before Christmas.

i was home with few activites bringing me out of the house. DS likes his naked time, and he loves to do what his big sister (age 4.5) does.

Really?  My friends let their kids go naked and it did speed up the process but then when they put underwear on them, the kid assumed it was a diaper and just peed in it again.  So then they had to start the whole process again but with underwear on.  I've this this happen a few times so it's not rare.  I was thinking that I would go with cloth training pants or even just plain underwear.

#30 of 49 Old 01-12-2011, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanGoddess View Post

Quote:
What is the Elimination Communication approach?  My DS doesn't seem to show any signs at all of when he has to go and I have tried making the pssss sound and / or running water but he doesn't pee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElliesMomma View Post

Really?  My friends let their kids go naked and it did speed up the process but then when they put underwear on them, the kid assumed it was a diaper and just peed in it again.  So then they had to start the whole process again but with underwear on.  I've this this happen a few times so it's not rare.  I was thinking that I would go with cloth training pants or even just plain underwear.

nm

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page