Is it just a stage that my daughter say "I don't want mommy" everyday - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-08-2011, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It's been a couple months now that my daughter says, "I don't want mommy," at least once a day and not at a time when I'm asking her to do anything she doesn't like.  At first, I just blew it off because it was near bed time and my husband usually puts her to sleep because I work nights.  But, now she seems to say it more and not just at night.  We have a close bond (I see her most of the daylight hours) but I just wonder if it's normal because I don't hear other mom's mention it happens to them.  My husband treats me respectfully too so I don't think she's picking up any bad energy there.  And, she never has said "I don't want daddy."  Not like it's a competition.  I just want to know what's going on.  Does anyone have experience with this?

#2 of 4 Old 01-09-2011, 07:48 AM

I think it's probably that she doesn't know how to say "I miss Daddy" 

Part-time WAHM. Live with my workaholic mother, my over-worked husband, and wonderful daughter born in '07.
#3 of 4 Old 01-09-2011, 08:51 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

A little background to make my answer as clear as possible: I had the girls in my sig full-time unofficially (without paperwork) since they were 3-ish months (W) and 2 weeks (Z).  Their father took off early and their mother up and left one day.  Their grandparents now have full custody and have for the past year or so.  Of course, we're still a HUGE part of their lives.

My answer:  The girls sort of did what you're describing.  Especially Z.  Obviously, they know us and are comfortable with us (we had to have "I'm not mama, I'm Kris." convos fairly often...poor things... T^T) but sometimes Z just wanted Ta-Ta (grandpa).  She would push away from me and my other friend (also around since the beginning) and yell "Taaaa-taaaaa".  It hurt for a while but then I realized she just didn't know how to say "I miss Ta-ta."

TLDR-- It's normal.  I'e seen other children do this.  They just don't have the words they are looking for yet.  Don't worry. smile.gif

Kris: in love with J "auntie" to W (7yrs)  and Z (5yrs)

→Waiting to start my own little family←
Someday it will be my turn!
#4 of 4 Old 01-09-2011, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for the replies.  that makes sense about not being able to say "I miss Daddy." 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page