Ideas for "Very Hungry Caterpillar" birthday party - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 01-12-2011, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

DD will be turning 3 in April and I'm planning a Very Hungry Caterpillar-themed party for her. (Yes, I'm planning it ridiculously early. lol.gif) Target happened to have really cute paper goods with drawings from that book on them, so I picked those up. But I'm looking for more ideas -- can any of you creative mamas help with ideas for decorations, food, or favors? 

I'm thinking it'd be cute to do a curvy line of cupcakes in different colors for a caterpillar-shaped cake. And bug antennae would be a cute thing to pass out to all the kids as they arrive. For the food, I'd like to go with ideas based on the stuff the caterpillar eats in the story: 

Apple

Pears

Plums

Strawberries

Oranges

Chocolate cake

Ice cream cone

Pickle

Swiss cheese

Salami

Lollipop

Cherry pie

Sausage

Cupcake

Watermelon

So I guess fruit salad and antipasto-type stuff? Any other ideas? 

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#2 of 21 Old 01-12-2011, 03:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

That sounds adorable!! I love this idea thumb.gif

I just wanted to pop in and say that I was at Kohl's over the weekend and they had a ton of Very Hungry Caterpillar books & plush toys for $5 each - all of the proceeds from the sale of them go to charity. I bought a plush for DD and it is so cute, she loves to hug him and chew on his antennae love.gif Not sure what your budget is or how many kids you'll have there but maybe these would be good favors!

http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/toys2009/kohlscaresforkids/PRD~c22283/Kohls+Cares+Eric+Carle+The+Hungry+Caterpillar+Collection.jsp

EDIT: Ooo I have another idea lol! For decorations, how about making some paper chains out of construction paper with a caterpillar head & tail at each end? Those would look so cute hanging over the table orngbiggrin.gif

~ Sarah ~ Living the mountain life with DH Dan hug.gif & DD Lillian 1.6.10 energy.gifand DS Jack 10.22.11 babyboy.gif Trying to find time to sewmachine.gif!!

#3 of 21 Old 01-12-2011, 05:36 PM

I love the ideas you have so far!  

You could make a cute cardboard cutout of the caterpillar head and create a beanbag toss into his mouth with different color beanbags as the different foods he eats.  

There are some really great ideas on this site: http://creativepartyplace.com/banner/hungary-caterpillar-birthday-party/

One of the ideas on there were skewers of green grapes with a red strawberry head, to make caterpillar snacks.  

Also saw lots of suggestions for gummy worms as favors.  

Sounds like it will be a super party!

#4 of 21 Old 01-12-2011, 05:48 PM
tzs

you can make  "hungry caterpillars" really easily out of empty pringles cans and colored construction paper (wrap whole thing in green, cut stripes out of red and wrap, then cut pieces for the face.) 

i've made them as a game for my younger toddler class (with laminated food pictures to put through his "mouth" which is a slit cut in the lid) but they could make cute favor containers.

Reluctant 'Sconie, chassid and mama to sweet toughie Ada Bluma 9/9/09 and loving pittie-mix ("Judge the deed, not the breed!")
#5 of 21 Old 01-13-2011, 07:19 AM

Here are some cute ideas. I wanted to do a hungry caterpillar birthday for DS tis year but he wants a Thomas the Train party.

http://frostmeblog.blogspot.com/2010/06/very-hungry-caterpillar-party-theme.html

Scarlett bfinfant.gif , DH Boris geek.gif , DS 1/29/08 Julian kid.gif DD2 6/7/12 babygirl.gif missing our DD 1/06/06 Sonja angel3.gif and MC @ 9 wks 11/18/06 Satchel  angel.gif

#6 of 21 Old 01-13-2011, 07:21 AM

I made a Caterpillar cake once.      Cupcakes snaked on a long board.   Decorated with various candies with licorice laces for the legs... Mine looked more like a centipede but anyway it was a big hit.  I used natural food dyes to make my icing.

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1
#7 of 21 Old 01-13-2011, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

You guys rock -- great ideas, thank you!

#8 of 21 Old 01-13-2011, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limabean View Post

DD will be turning 3 in April and I'm planning a Very Hungry Caterpillar-themed party for her. (Yes, I'm planning it ridiculously early. lol.gif)

:lol A woman after my own heart. I've already started planning DS' 2nd birthday and it's not until August bag.gif

The food item that seemed most well received at our VHC party was the hotdog catapillars (the "recipe" is here). The kids also really liked the plum jellies. We kept the decorations really simple (and cheap!): tissue paper pom poms (and there are a million tutorials online for these) and pinwheels (which the kids got to take home with their favors). Hope you post pics! It's going to be an adorable party!

read.gifLisa married to geek.gifB WAHM to moon.gifC (08.09)

#9 of 21 Old 01-13-2011, 02:29 PM

You could grow butterflies with your daughter and do the release at the party (if you can get the timing to work, if not, still very fun to do).

You could also have the guests paint their own butterfly wings to wear.

I saw those party supplies yesterday at Target - they are very cute! 

Tanya
Mom to John (age 11), James (age 9) & Katherine (age 5)
#10 of 21 Old 01-14-2011, 06:37 AM

http://www.ohdeedoh.com/ohdeedoh/my-party-aanyaatlanta-ga-136796

Part-time WAHM. Live with my workaholic mother, my over-worked husband, and wonderful daughter born in '07.
#11 of 21 Old 01-14-2011, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut Chronicles View Post

Quote:

DD will be turning 3 in April and I'm planning a Very Hungry Caterpillar-themed party for her. (Yes, I'm planning it ridiculously early. lol.gif)

:lol A woman after my own heart. I've already started planning DS' 2nd birthday and it's not until August bag.gif

The food item that seemed most well received at our VHC party was the hotdog catapillars (the "recipe" is here). The kids also really liked the plum jellies. We kept the decorations really simple (and cheap!): tissue paper pom poms (and there are a million tutorials online for these) and pinwheels (which the kids got to take home with their favors). Hope you post pics! It's going to be an adorable party!

I've had your site bookmarked for months, but I didn't want to link it here without giving credit to the right MDC mama and I couldn't remember whose site it was. So thanks for posting -- I love all your adorable ideas!! 

#12 of 21 Old 01-14-2011, 03:47 PM

This is from my son's first birthday

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_x-Bl_BMDAJ0/SlxeTcBN_QI/AAAAAAAAGOk/ZnaCvTY4fbw/s144/DSC_0664.JPG

It's a sheet cake with the mini cupcakes making the caterpillar

We had primary color balloon bunches and VHC stickers on the goodie bags. If not for food allergies, I would have made those dirt and worm cups

Erin photosmile2.gif  treehugger.gif, DH jammin.gif ,  Mumma to Chase 7/08 superhero.gif and babyf.gif Griff 3/13

MTHFR C677T Homozygous, M/C 2/07 @ 6wks, 12/10 @8wks, 10/11@7wks, 2/12 @4wks.... 

#13 of 21 Old 01-14-2011, 04:01 PM

that cake is so cute!!!

familybed2.gifSAHM, military wife, momma to DSD 2004lady.gif, 2007angel1.gif, DS 2008jog.gif,  DD 2011 jog.gif

lactivist.gifintactivist.gifh20homebirth.gifcd.giffly-by-nursing2.gifphotosmile2.gif

#14 of 21 Old 01-14-2011, 05:33 PM

Quote:

I've had your site bookmarked for months, but I didn't want to link it here without giving credit to the right MDC mama and I couldn't remember whose site it was. So thanks for posting -- I love all your adorable ideas!! 

Aww thanks Mama luxlove.gif. PM'd ya!

read.gifLisa married to geek.gifB WAHM to moon.gifC (08.09)

#15 of 21 Old 01-24-2011, 06:44 PM

You are not too early!!  I just picked this theme for a Nov. bday!!  I have found lots of ideas, most of which came from sites others already posted.  So far my ideas are to have a tierd cake for the adults like this one, http://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/1638279  and then the cupcakes for the kids with a smash cake as the head.  It is a second bday but I like the smash cakes and so she will have another. (Plus, she has a special plate to eat cake off of that everyone signed at her first bday)  I found some great activity ideas here http://www.birthdaypartyideas.com/html/hungry_caterpillar_parties_4.html .  I plan to also do the food from the book.  A few ideas are for the chesse and salami are these cute sandwiches http://minimocha.blogspot.com/2010/04/very-hungry-caterpillar-party.html  and for the sausage I am going to make the Rotel Sausage dip with chips.  I also saw where you can use Trix cereal and Skittles for decor or food becasue of the colors.  These are just a few of my ideas!!! LOL!!! I can't wait to see what others post as well.  What items did you find at Target?  I am going this week and hope that mine still has some!!  Fingers crossed.  And I am going to Kohls as well to get the books and plush.  Oh, and my last idea to share will be to have a copy of the book for guest to sign as they come in.  This is a tradtion I started with our baby shower and had them bring books instead of card signed and then the plate at her fist bday.  I hope you have a great party!!!

#16 of 21 Old 01-26-2011, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHMchic View Post
What items did you find at Target?  I am going this week and hope that mine still has some!!  Fingers crossed.

Thanks for all your great ideas! 

I found all the paper goods at Target -- they have VHC plates, napkins, invitations/thank you notes, cups, and treat sacks in the party supply aisle. They're not showing up when I search Target's website, but they still had them in the store as of a few days ago. 

Enjoy your party too!! 

#17 of 21 Old 01-26-2011, 06:00 PM

now i'm going to have to maek a run to target, lol. this would be the perfect theme for dd's 6th and ds2's 1st bday in november! it's dd's favorite book and would also be good for a one year old.

#18 of 21 Old 01-26-2011, 09:24 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHMchic View Post
What items did you find at Target?  I am going this week and hope that mine still has some!!  Fingers crossed.

Thanks for all your great ideas! 

I found all the paper goods at Target -- they have VHC plates, napkins, invitations/thank you notes, cups, and treat sacks in the party supply aisle. They're not showing up when I search Target's website, but they still had them in the store as of a few days ago. 

Enjoy your party too!! 

Thank you so much!! I went today and was able to get everything. Now I have 10 months to wait for it.  Lol!!!

#19 of 21 Old 01-29-2011, 12:12 PM

I just went to Target and picked the paper goods up too. I'm going to do this for DD's 2nd B-day in April.  I need help with the food situation!  We eat whole and organic foods and are pretty strict about stuff like food coloring, candy, etc (not eating these things) so I am a bit concerned about what I am going to make for the cupcake frosting to get it into all the colors.  I love the grapes/strawberry caterpillar fruit ideas!  Hmmmm...What else to have food wise that I can do whole food/organically that fits the theme....?  (And wouldn't be crazy $$$$ for the amount I would have to buy.)

Thanks SO much OP for the idea and directing me to Target!

Midwife mama bellycast.gif to DD1 bouncy.gif (4.5) and DD2 h20homebirth.gif (1.5)
#20 of 21 Old 07-09-2011, 01:41 PM

thumbsup.gif so inspirational love your ideas.

#21 of 21 Old 02-20-2012, 12:02 PM

I think the hungry caterpillar party has got to be the most popular party or little ones.  There are such great ideas out there.  I've been collecting ideas from food tables to party decor and the ideas keep coming.  Here's my round up so far.  I can't wait to incorporate all of these other great ideas.  http://munchkinsandmayhem.blogspot.com/search/label/hungry%20caterpillar

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page