How often do you bathe the babe? - Mothering Forums
Life with a Toddler > How often do you bathe the babe?
NEastMomma's Avatar NEastMomma 04:20 PM 01-19-2011

I am just wondering what the average is per week.  DS is 17mos and bath time is not part of his bedtime routine, so I find myself bathing him only about twice/week.  Just wondering if that is average or if others are bathing more often and I'm a "dirty" mom!

Thanks!

Chamomile Girl's Avatar Chamomile Girl 04:36 PM 01-19-2011
My DS is 18mo and he gets a bath about once a week. Usually on the night he rubs dinner into his hair. Honestly, he is not smelly or dirty so I see bathing him more often as a stressful waste of water.

Not to mention our water here is craptacular and makes skin and hair dry (and scalps scab over).
Nan411's Avatar Nan411 04:54 PM 01-19-2011

OP, I bathe my 13 month old ds about the same as you, usually 2-3 times per week. I usually give him a bath after he has had a massive poop blow out.

ellemenope's Avatar ellemenope 05:27 PM 01-19-2011

I bathe DD at least every other day, but usually it is everyday.  Reason?  Ever since she pottytrained, she wipes her own bum after pees.  I try to wipe her with a wipe when I can, but she has always been so independent she gets everything done without my knowing. (I have only missed a few poos thank god)  But, she does not do a good job, so her vulva would get red if we did not bathe her almost daily.  So we just got in that habit around her second birthday.  Second, she loves the bath and it is just our routine.  I shower, she jumps in towards the end, I get her cleaned up (or sometimes we just skip that,) then I jump out and plug up the tub.  She plays in the bath while I get ready and dressed.  I guess she is spoiled.  (she might think so, but I realize other toddlers HATE the bath.)

chel's Avatar chel 06:03 PM 01-19-2011

i take 12m dd into the shower with me everyday.  she has very short hair, so it's mostly a daily rinse with a quick wash cloth to the bottom.

4myfinn's Avatar 4myfinn 06:07 PM 01-19-2011

We bathe DS every other night, but we only shampoo his hair once a week (so his scalp won't dry out) and usually only wash his diaper area with soap unless he's particularly dirty.  We love bath time!

YayJennie's Avatar YayJennie 07:07 PM 01-19-2011

It varies here.  Sometimes we do a bath everyday, sometimes as little as 1-2 times a week.  It all depends on how much food he gets in his hair orngtongue.gif During the summer we were outdoors hiking and rolling around in the dirt, so I generally bathed him everyday.  But during the winter, he doesn't get nearly as dirty, so bath time is generally every 2-3 days.

adamom's Avatar adamom 07:50 PM 01-19-2011

I guess I would qualify as a "dirty" mom, but I only bathe my 19-month-old once a week. She just doesn't seem to need it. I have sensitive skin myself, and it took me years to realize that hot showers in the winter were doing me no favors. I imagine I will have to start bathing her more once it turns warmer and we spend more time outdoors, but for now, our routine seems to be fine.

kawa kamuri's Avatar kawa kamuri 07:56 PM 01-19-2011

my 15mo bathes about every other day with her sister. her hair looks wild and wooly with no bath but soft ringlets after she's been washed. she also enjoys bathing. 

Honey693's Avatar Honey693 08:47 PM 01-19-2011

DD1 takes a shower with me every day, but that's b/c she loves water and throws a fit if I tell her she can't.  And I do not want to start my day out with an avoidable tantrum.  She only uses shampoo twice a week though b/c she hates having her hair washed.

MusicianDad's Avatar MusicianDad 08:56 PM 01-19-2011

Once or twice a week. Unless he asks for it or gets really dirty or I just wanna snuggle up with the clean baby smell.

lactatinggirl's Avatar lactatinggirl 10:53 PM 01-19-2011

We bathe DD nightly because it's part of the routine, but we only wash her with soap about 2 times a week. On no-soap nights, I just get her wet to get any food/dirt off (she always gets covered in food) and she plays with her toys. 

darlawoods's Avatar darlawoods 12:51 AM 01-20-2011

We bathe our daughter usually everyday or every other day, I think the most she went without a bath was 2 or 3 nights because she was congested.

cloudbutterfly's Avatar cloudbutterfly 04:51 AM 01-20-2011

When he was a baby, I bathed him far less often than I always meant to.  Now it's part of his nightly routine, unless time doesn't allow for it or my husband's not there to help.  This is less because I feel he needs that many baths and more because he LOVES them and it's a nice bonding time for us.  We have to hold him back to keep him from trying to climb in before I've got the water ready!  Though he does seem to get smelly if I don't give him a bath for a few days now, so I try not to skip more than one night in a row.  But I can still count on one hand the number of times I've used soap on him...he smells better without it.  :)

Skippy918's Avatar Skippy918 05:17 AM 01-20-2011

In the summer it was almost daily because he got all sweaty and his feet would stink from wearing sandals.  The previous summer when he was a crawling infant it was daily cause he'd get dirty.  In the winter it's every other day or every 2 days.  He poops 3-4 times a day and no matter how well I wipe, he can still be smelly.

ShadowMoon's Avatar ShadowMoon 09:37 AM 01-20-2011

Once or twice a week was the average for DS at that age. It pretty much still is.

tourist.'s Avatar tourist. 09:58 AM 01-20-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by lactatinggirl View Post

We bathe DD nightly because it's part of the routine, but we only wash her with soap about 2 times a week. On no-soap nights, I just get her wet to get any food/dirt off (she always gets covered in food) and she plays with her toys. 

yeahthat.gif

McGucks's Avatar McGucks 10:04 AM 01-20-2011

We do a couple times a week and throw in an extra if a blow-out preventer didn't prevent a big blow-out.  Also, we might do an extra here and there as an activity or to calm him down.  People's practices with bathing babies varies a whole lot...there is no "right" or "wrong."  Do what you like and what your baby needs/enjoys.

hildare's Avatar hildare 11:01 AM 01-20-2011

we're pretty dirty..  she might get a bath once a week.  she has gotten a little more smelly as of late, though, so we will try to up this a bit.  it tends to wire her up as she's a big splasher, and i woh and bathe with her when we do bathe, so it's not really part of the nightly routine for us. 

Peony's Avatar Peony 11:29 AM 01-20-2011

Once a week for my 20m old. The girls were about the same as well. DS could use one more often only because he has a lot of hair and his favorite thing to do is wipe his food in his hair. eyesroll.gif After a week, his hair is NASTY but he hates baths so once a week I'll toss him in and wash his hair. 

lifeguard's Avatar lifeguard 11:42 AM 01-20-2011

Pretty much daily, sometimes twice in a day. But for us a bath is more of a fun activity than about getting clean. Ds can happily spend an hour+ in the bath. We don't do it as part of the bedtime routine 'cause it is too energizing for him & we only use soap when he actually dirty which is not very frequent.

nola79's Avatar nola79 11:44 AM 01-20-2011

Daily...well, nightly. She loves it though and it helps to calm her down.

Bebe's Mom's Avatar Bebe's Mom 11:51 AM 01-20-2011

DD gets a bath every night before bed. It is part of her routine, if she doesn't have a bath it is harder to get her to go to sleep. Also, we don't use wipes, so when she poops, she gets put into the tub to get a quick clean off, not a total bath, just a wipedown. I wipe her with a wet cloth when I do regular diaper changes. Her father gives her her baths, and he is not always thorough, so she often has dirty ears, unless I remind him to wash her face and ears, lol.

SpuglyRoo's Avatar SpuglyRoo 12:17 PM 01-20-2011

When he's dirty.  In the summer this usually means every night before bed. This winter, however, he has been getting in sometimes as rarely as every 8 days.  We are combating horrid eczema/dry skin for him at the moment so we try not to exacerbate that issue but lots of time in the water.  The only time it has happened more often since it got cold is if he gets ridiculously dirty/sticky after he's had a recent bath.  (The baby gets one like once a month, but right now she hates them and since she isn't eating foods and getting them all over herself she doesn't really need one.  I wipe out the crevices in her arms, legs and neck when I change her clothes and call it good enough.)

gbailey's Avatar gbailey 12:19 PM 01-20-2011

DD gets a bath every evening. She loves bath time and it helps relax her before bedtime.

Courtney-Ostaff's Avatar Courtney-Ostaff 06:48 PM 01-20-2011

Every day, sometimes more often. She loves, loves, loves water. In fact, she asks for baths as recreation. In terms of actual bathing?  Not that much.  A really scrubbing down probably 2 or 3 times a week.

littlegreenlady's Avatar littlegreenlady 08:37 PM 01-20-2011

about every day, unless it's super cold in the house.

He has learned the sign for bath and is obsessed with water.

I get in with him, so he can nurse and play, while I wash up.

I've only used soap on him a few times, I find it dries his skin.

I would be fine with once or twice a week, but it's also a nice way to spend time together.

brennan's Avatar brennan 09:07 PM 01-20-2011

We have baths everyday, she LOVES water and its part of our bedtime routine.  We only actually wash her once a week after we go swimming.  

cyclamen's Avatar cyclamen 10:07 PM 01-20-2011

Every night because it's a bedtime routine, but we don't use soap because it dries her out.  I really don't think she needs to be bathed that much; she just likes playing in the water.  She'd take a bath 4 times a day if she could.

Sleepymamaov2's Avatar Sleepymamaov2 11:37 PM 01-20-2011

Both baby and toddler have eczema so every other day is bath day.  They also bathe in lukewarm water and for no more than a few minutes to control the eczema.  Baby loves the lotion after his bath.  He just laughs and laughs! :)

Up