child spacing - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 01-20-2011, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So...We always though we wanted to have 2 kids that were 3-3.5 years apart.  DD is 21 months now and that would mean I would have to try to get pregnant this summer.  It's always been the plan but now that we are getting closer to it I'm really having second thoughts.  Many of my friends with similar aged toddlers are having their 2nd babies or are pregnant right now and it seems to make sense in the way that I would have lots of 2nd time mama friends with similar aged kids...

But every time I think of getting pregnant again I start to get worried.  I guess the main thing is that DD is still so much a "baby" to me even though she's almost 2.  She needs my constant attention during the day to play with her and entertain her and at night to be able to sleep by nursing, and she still night-wakes ALOT to nurse.  We still nurse alot during the day and cosleep every night and I have no idea how being pregnant and especially actually having a second baby would fit in to our dynamic.

I'm 3 years apart from my sibling and so is DH.  I've always been told that 3 years is a great spacing because then the kids will be close enough to be friends (that is true for DH and myself with our siblings) and they will be in school together and can look out for each other.  DH is really into having a close spacing because mainly he wants me to go back to work sooner rather than later.  I'm committed to being a SAHM now but when my kid(s) start school I can look into starting to go back to work.  He would like me to be pregnant with #2 now so we don't have to wait years more for me to go back to work but I can't imagine having another one at the moment. 

But I was thinking of waiting longer.  Maybe another year?  Then they would be 4-4.5 years apart.  In my mind that means that DD will be at an age where she is less of a "baby" herself and she will understand more about what a newborn baby needs and can even help me(?) sometimes with things.  Also by age 4 I am assuming she will have weaned and be sleeping through the night most of the time and will be ready for her own sleeping space and can leave my bed for me and the new baby.  Also she will have started preschool which might help me not feel so overwhelmed with being a SAHM of 2 during the day.  But is that too much to ask of a 4 year old?  Should I wait longer?  5 year spacing?  Or is that really too long?

It's a really hard decision to make and I am just curious what others have done and what your experience is.

Midwife mama bellycast.gif to DD1 bouncy.gif (4.5) and DD2 h20homebirth.gif (1.5)
#2 of 23 Old 01-20-2011, 07:38 PM

4 years is ideal in hunter-gatherer societies.  So, anthropologists tend to try to have their kids at that spacing.  It seems to work well in the literature, and that's what I'm aiming for.  She'll be potty trained, way more independent, and hopefully doing some preschool, so I can have time for the new baby.

We'll see!

Part-time WAHM. Live with my workaholic mother, my over-worked husband, and wonderful daughter born in '07.
#3 of 23 Old 01-20-2011, 08:23 PM

I am 4.5 years apart from my sis to the day and we have always had a fabulous, close but not competitive relationship. I am thinking about the same issues. I still feels like DD is such a baby and needs all my attention. How would another babe who needs constant attention fit into that? And how does mama get any sleep/rest in the bargain. I'm not sure what the answers are but I do know people have kids closer and farther apart all the time and the parenting probably makes a big difference in how it all works out.  Good luck figuring it out!

Courtney-Ostaff likes this.
#4 of 23 Old 01-20-2011, 08:54 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I have been wondering about this too.  I thought we were being conservative in wanting to wait until DD was 2 to even think about trying to have another baby.  I have a lot of friends who have two under two.

It's good food for thought to read about this 4 year spacing.

DD1 6/2009 DD2 5/1/2013-5/5/2013 (HIE) DS 3/2014
#5 of 23 Old 01-20-2011, 09:07 PM

I could have written your post almost word for word.

I can't speak to the parenting experience since we currently have a 20 month old and haven't decided when to have another one (we were also thinking 3-4 years), but my brother and I are 5 years apart and have always gotten along really well. The biggest drawback is that we were homeschooled together until high school, but when I went to school he became sort of an afterthought and my mother recalls that being hard on him. It did lead to something of a rupture in our relationship; we didn't fight, but we grew apart because we were in such different stages. In retrospect I'd like my children a bit closer together than he and I were, but my parents were happy to have us so far apart--they got more solo time with both of us that way (we have no other brothers/sisters). DH and his sister are 8.5 years apart and that's definitely farther than we'd want just two children--they didn't have a lot in common growing up, though they get along fine.

My problem is my heart is telling me all of a sudden (within the last month or two) that I want another baby sooner rather than later, although I am certainly concerned about DS being too little. I find myself half hoping that we had an accident this month, though I'm also nervous about it. I'm getting frustrated with nursing a toddler to sleep every night (I spent two hours with him tonight and he still didn't fall asleep after all that), and I have to be honest--I'm horrible at playing with him all day, every day. I want a sibling for him partially so that I don't have to be the only one watching him dump his toys for the 428th time onto the living room rug. I know this is precious time, and I know it would be harder at first having two, but in the long run I hope his life is as enriched by having a sibling as mine has been, and maybe having them closer in age would be better for our family.

We have hashed over the same considerations you and your DH have, down to your career (I'm an aspiring midwife, so in my case, I'll be ramping up my education when my children are a bit bigger), and there are no easy answers. I'm certainly worried about cutting the breastfeeding relationship short (though I would try to nurse through, even if I lost my milk, and I'd probably tandem if I could stand it), and we are planning on getting a much bigger bed so the family bed could continue (though we also want to get a toddler bed anyway for occasional use).

I think people deal with what they have to deal with, but your toddler would have to grow up faster, and maybe that's not what you want. There's nothing wrong with waiting longer. I know there'll be some heartache on your part for the older child either way. If your heart is telling you to wait, that's what I would do; this time is so short in the grand scheme of things. Now if I could just convince myself of the same thing...

Stay-at-home mama married to my best friend of 10+ years. lovestory.gif  Aspiring midwife loving parenting our beautiful babyf.gif Julian, born 5/24/09. Expecting a second bean in late July 2012!joy.gif
  h20homebirth.giffemalesling.GIF  intactlact.gif  namaste.gif

#6 of 23 Old 01-20-2011, 10:32 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I'm on the other end of this with an almost 2 yr old and a 3 week old.  But I have a brother 4 years younger than me.  We always got along OK, but never had much in common.  First he was too young for my games, then I was too old for his, without a lot of time in between to play together.  Some of it was our very different personalities, but I do kind of wish I'd had a closer sibling. 

#7 of 23 Old 01-20-2011, 10:58 PM

nm

Courtney-Ostaff likes this.

#8 of 23 Old 01-20-2011, 11:13 PM

I love close spacings. my boys are exactly 2 years apart and they get along so well. my youngest will be 2y and 5 months when this baby is born. wiith my oldest being 4 i can see why people like the bigger gaps as he can do so many things for himself. But at the same time kids grow and adapt amamzingly they really do. i have been amamzed at the changes in my children leading up to this baby. I know they spacing is great for us and yes it has it's days where it is really hard. but watching them play together makes it worth it.

I was 6 years older than my sister and honeslty I really didn't like her. In my mind she came in a ruined my life. Dh fights constantly ( in both friendly battles and not so friendly battles) with his younger brother 4 years difference. ( still now even though they are grown men, but it's gotten better over the last few years, it's a big personality thing between them though too!)

Yet gets along great with his older brother ( by two years)

Really it depends on what you are going to feel is best for you and your family

SAHM to D ( 10/06 ) A (10/08) & C (03/11)
#9 of 23 Old 01-20-2011, 11:18 PM

lurk.gif

I always thought before I had kids and while I was pregnant I'd want to start TTC our second when our first turned 2. Now my son will be 2 in May and I feel no where near ready to have another! I see so many other moms even with kids younger than mine talking about ttc and having baby fever and I just don't feel it at all. I too feel like my son is still a baby and honestly I'm enjoying him too much right now. I'm excited as he gets older and we can both start enjoying more things that I think having a newborn would stop us from doing. (Or maybe not stop entirely but at least make a little more difficult.) Now I keep thinking I want to try when he's four that way he'll be definitely potty trained, done breastfeeding, and ready to start his own adventure in school and I'll be able to have one on one time with the newborn at home just like I did with him. Then again that makes me worry that starting kindergarten AND getting a new sibling might be hard on him. It's such a big decision but I don't really think there is a right answer and there's pros/cons to every age gap. I know one day I'll get that feeling again and feel ready but now isn't right. I still haven't even gotten my first PP period so I probably couldn't get pregnant even if I wanted to ... knock on wood lol.

Madalyn military wife to Chris & proud momma to Jonas 5/17/09
#10 of 23 Old 01-21-2011, 05:01 AM

I have three kids: almost 6, 4, and 17 months.  The first two are ~22 months apart and the second two are ~33 months apart.  Personally, I found the closer spacing to be easier.  My son, not quite two, adapted almost immediately to having a little sister, and now, at 4 and 6, I couldn't imagine a better relationship between them.  They play together, look out for each other, teach each other things. 

When my third was born, my daughter was 33 months.  She had been potty-trained for more than a year, was verbal, talked a lot about the baby we were expecting, and I thought the spacing would be easier.  As it turned out, though, she had much more of a "transition" to make, and seemed to struggle more with the addition of a baby than my son did when she was born.  She was always very gentle and sweet with the baby, but she acted out a lot towards us--even when we felt that we were going out of our way to preempt that sort of behavior by giving her lots of attention, et cetera.  

In both cases, I nursed through the pregnancy and tandem nursed (am *still* tandem nursing the younger two), but I found that easier when the older child was younger as well (a little surprisingly). Tandem nursing my oldest two never bothered me at all and, in fact, I tandem nursed through my entire third pregnancy (my oldest weaned a few months after my third was born).  With the younger two, though, I often find myself wishing the older's nursing would taper off a little more quickly, something that rarely occurred to me with my son.  

For me, I think that 3 has the potential to be a really difficult age, and I personally wouldn't choose that spacing again.  Adding a new sibling when she was hitting a sort of difficult age anyway just compounded things.  I enjoyed the closer spacing, but since you're not considering that, I would personally advise waiting another year and leaving 4 years between them.  Looking at my 4-year-old now, I think she would be much better-equipped to deal with a new sibling now than she was 1.5 years ago, though I can't speak to how their short-or-long-term relationship might play out.

#11 of 23 Old 01-21-2011, 05:20 AM

originally we planned to have DS potty learned before having another - I only wanted one in diapers at a time - but honestly got the baby itch around the end of his first year. Our goal was to nurse to 12 months, and then we would be open to pregnancy. DS turned 14 months yesterday and we found out I am pregnant with our second. They will be about 22 months apart. I am excited to see how they grow together. I feel like I want another have this one, but the spacing may be a little further apart.

My sister and I are 6 1/2 years apart. We have very little in common and don't really get a long. Some of it is personality, but also our parents were at different places in their lives when they had each of us, so that had an affect too. I wouldn't choose spacing that great. I think max is 4-5 years apart. But for everyone, this answer will be different.

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#12 of 23 Old 01-21-2011, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

I wanted to thank you all for your replies.  I sat down and read every word and am thinking about all that you all said.  I loved getting so many varied replies of what worked or didn't work for you all, and getting replies from those who had kids closer and further apart.  I am considering all you had to say and can't wait to hear more experiences!

Midwife mama bellycast.gif to DD1 bouncy.gif (4.5) and DD2 h20homebirth.gif (1.5)
#13 of 23 Old 01-21-2011, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtney-Ostaff View Post

4 years is ideal in hunter-gatherer societies.  So, anthropologists tend to try to have their kids at that spacing.  It seems to work well in the literature, and that's what I'm aiming for.  She'll be potty trained, way more independent, and hopefully doing some preschool, so I can have time for the new baby.

We'll see!

I'm so curious about where you found the information about spacing 4 years apart was ideal for HG societies.  I've never heard this before and am so very interested to read more about it.

#14 of 23 Old 01-21-2011, 01:49 PM

Well a lot can change between now and this summer, you know?  At 19 months, I was ready to jump off of a cliff with my DD (first and only).  Now she'll be 2 in a few weeks, and the idea of another baby has creeped into my mind.  In the last six months, she's started STTN, often in a toddler bed.  She's stopped screaming for hours on end.  She's demonstrated some compassion for others, especially Elmo.  As she becomes more of a little person, I see more space in our family, and more attention to give to a newborn.  So maybe 3 years is the right spacing for us.

As for me, I have a brother 2 yrs. 3 mos. younger.  We hated each other growing up, but got closer after high school.  DH has 2 sisters, 5 years and 13 years older than him.  He rarely speaks to either of them, and was never close.  For my family, I can see pros and cons to both, and really whatever you decide will feel right for your family. 

#15 of 23 Old 01-21-2011, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I don't buy into the theory that spacing makes or breaks a sibling relationship, personality of the children is huge IMO. I have a sister exactly 2 years younger then me, we hated each other growing up and today as adults, we tolerate each other. For us, having more space would of been better and then maybe we would of had a change at a more meaningful relationship. 

My first two are 3y10m apart, I loved that spacing and if I had only wanted two children then it would been great, only we wanted 4. Each child has gotten closer together, I still prefer the wider spacing. It is easier on me. My 2 and 3rd were 2y and 6m apart, 3 and 4 will be 2y3m, a spacing that is really too close for me. A two year is just a big baby. When DD2 was born and DD1 was almost 4, it was such a huge help. DD2 ended up with health problems and DD1 was able to basically care for herself a lot of time. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#16 of 23 Old 01-21-2011, 04:58 PM

I got pregnant when DD1 was 17 mo. and I was really worried, for all the reasons you mentioned.  I thought she was still such a baby and I really had a lot of grief at the beginning of the pregnancy.  Now that DD2 is 8 mo. old I can honestly say that's it's been great.  Not easy, but great.  I see their emerging friendship and it just makes my heart smile.  They are close enough to enjoy the same things (but also fight over them!), and I've really seen my older DD blossom into a great big sister.  I was just commenting to DH that I'm glad we had them closer together because DD1 is now almost 3 and definitely getting out of the baby stage, which means we can do so much more stuff with her.  I think if we would have waited longer it would be harder to go back to having a baby, but since we were already there it made it easier to deal with.  I'm glad we're pushing through the baby stage and look forward to be being able to do fun vacations/activites as a family.

Whatever you end up with is the right spacing for your family.  There is no "best spacing" and your kids will adapt to whatever happens.  I think it's normal to have the concerns you're having, no matter what the ages are.  FWIW, DD1 was still co-sleeping and BF and VERY dependant when I got pregnant.  We slowly weaned her into her bed and she stopped nursing when my milk dried up at 21 mo.  I've had to be creative to make sure that she gets her needs met, but I truly believe that the addition of DD2 has definitely outweighed any lack attention. 

Good luck!

Mom to 2 amazing girlies, Feb. '08 and May '10.joy.gif
#17 of 23 Old 01-21-2011, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukuspot View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtney-Ostaff View Post

We'll see!

I'm so curious about where you found the information about spacing 4 years apart was ideal for HG societies.  I've never heard this before and am so very interested to read more about it.

Mother Nature, by Sarah Blaffer Hrdy.  Evolutionary biology is a pet interest of mine, but that is an awesome book. She's one of my favorite authors.

There is good reason to suppose that those foraging mothers living the most arduous habitats, such as the !Kung San of the Kalahari Desert, gave birth only after very long, four- to five-year intervals. By the time a toddler was three years old, he would have been carried by his mother some four thousand miles. Under the conditions in which these nomadic foragers lived, infants had to suckle frequently just to keep hydrated as well as nourished. Even though a few solid foods would have been introduced by six months of age, survival depended on nursing well into the fourth year. To such an infant, it's mother was cradle, protection, mobility, breakfast, midmorning juice, lunch, and dinner.

The !Kung are an extreme case.  Still, there is little doubt that over the last million years or so, infants have always striven to remain in continuous contact with their mothers for at least the first few years of life.  This was the infant's first choice, but living up to this "Pleistocene ideal" of mothering may have been tough for a mother to do -- even in the Pleistocene. The human mother in continuous contact with her infant for four or five years more nearly represents a primate infant's favored scenario, the scenario most compatible with its well-being. But this preferred scenario is not the only one mothers employed. Wherever reasonably safe alloparental options were available, human mothers made use of them, as many mothers in foraging societies in Central Africa and South America still do. Ethnographic evidence from foraging peoples like the Aka and the Efé, as well as new evidence form other primates, suggests that alloparents were more important alternative to continuous one-on-one contact with the mother than Bowlby had realized.

In the human case, the extended half-decade of physical closeness between a mother and her infant so typical of other apes tells us more about the harshness of local conditions and the mother's lack of safe alternatives than the "natural state" of all Pleistocene mothers. As Emory University anthropologist and nutritionist Daniel Sellen joked recently, the only people in the world who nurse their babies for five years are the !Kung and women anthropologists.

Part-time WAHM. Live with my workaholic mother, my over-worked husband, and wonderful daughter born in '07.
#18 of 23 Old 01-21-2011, 05:12 PM

I agree with the poster who said that spacing doesn't make or break a sibling relationship. My only sibling (my sister) and I are 9.5 years apart. As adults we are extremely close, Growing up she made an effort to cultivate a relationship with me (the younger sibling.) We have a very special relationship that transcends the age gap. I think sibling dynamics are unpredictable and it's best not to become overly concerned with a perfect order of spacing.

#19 of 23 Old 01-24-2011, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrieoseal View Post

I agree with the poster who said that spacing doesn't make or break a sibling relationship. My only sibling (my sister) and I are 9.5 years apart. As adults we are extremely close, Growing up she made an effort to cultivate a relationship with me (the younger sibling.) We have a very special relationship that transcends the age gap. I think sibling dynamics are unpredictable and it's best not to become overly concerned with a perfect order of spacing.

I agree with this as well. I have 8 siblings two of which are less than two years apart from me. I was somewhat close to my sister growing up but not the other, a brother. Now as adults I'm closer to the brother and acutally another sister who is 10 yrs older than me. So I think it's true that most of the time sibling relationships are based on personality and have little to do with age gap.

My ds's are 4.5 yrs apart although now only 5.5yrs and 1 yr. But so far I've appreciated the age gap as a parent. I did go back to work between the two of them, but that was financially necessary and partly the reason they are spaced as they are. I stayed home with ds1 for the first 18 months and now have been doing the same for ds 2. I guess if I could have stayed home through all of that I might have chosen to space them closer to 3.5 yrs. I could see that if I had had ds2 when ds1 was 3.5-4 yrs that would have been a nice spacing too. Although I am appreciating the solo time I have with ds2 now that ds1 is in kindergarten this year.

However all that said. I was not emotionally ready to have a second child before I did. I felt overwhelmed as a parent and ds 1 was fairly high needs and a very anxious child so I think that also played into my experience. 

#20 of 23 Old 01-24-2011, 08:10 AM

DS was 29 months when I found out I was pregnant.  He had been doing great sleep wise, developmentally, listening, etc and I though 3 year difference would be good for all of us.  As soon as I got pregnant, I immediately had buyers remorse, rethinking how much DS needed me, how our relationship would change, etc. Well, I went on to loose that baby at 7.5wks and as much as we were hurt by the loss, I think both DH and I were relieved in a sense, realizing no DS isn't, nor are we, really ready to juggle two.  My thing is now, screw thinking about the spacing, for our family.  Stop obsessing about ages, ease of play, grandparent age, etc.  We're good parents who can work at building strong and sweet sibling relationships no matter the age.  We'll know when it feels absolutely right because there won't be a second thought or buyers remorse, we'll all be readier.  And when that day comes for you, you'll know.  If right now it doesn't feel right, wait till it does <3

Erin photosmile2.gif  treehugger.gif, DH jammin.gif ,  Mumma to Chase 7/08 superhero.gif and babyf.gif Griff 3/13

MTHFR C677T Homozygous, M/C 2/07 @ 6wks, 12/10 @8wks, 10/11@7wks, 2/12 @4wks.... 

#21 of 23 Old 01-24-2011, 09:40 AM

My kids are exactly 3 years apart (2 weeks in between their birthdays in April).  I wouldn't have it any other way.  My brother and I were 22 months apart and I thought that was ideal....until I became a mama lol.gif.  It was great for my brother and I growing up, but the early years were difficult for my mom.  I was very jealous of him, threw bottles at him, etc.  My mom said that she covered up my brother while he nursed and read me a book so I wouldn't be jealous :( 

My daughter is almost 5 and my son is almost 2.  They are absolutely awesome together.  Remember it takes almost 10 months to gestate a baby.  Your 3 yr. old will be a LOT more independent than your 2 yr old.  So I wouldn't worry about not being able to manage a 3 yr old and a baby.  I would however consider the pregnancy aspect.  How are your pregnancies typically?  My DD weaned at 2.5 and I did find it a bit painful (which is why I kind of led her down the path to weaning at that point).  I asked her if she wanted to wean by having a big girl party.  She was thrilled with the idea, and it went swimmingly.  DD is very easy going and was not night nursing at that time, so it wasn't that difficult. 

I guess in my mind, 4 years is just too far apart.  DD is still young enough, she will tolerate the "baby" stuff with my son.  For example, watching ELMO'S POTTY TIME with him.  She thinks its a little juvenile, but she's still young enough that she enjoys Sesame Street.  That kind of thing.  His toys are interesting to her and she genuinely has fun playing with him.  He's definetly the baby in the house, but they can relate to eachother. 

Also, because of their ages, they will have some school experiences at the same school.  They go to a Montessori preschool (they start at 18 months).  That meant that my daughter's last year at the school was my son's first year.  It was a tremendous benefit to be able to drop him off with his sister so he still felt secure.  She was so proud to "show him the ropes" and take care of him.  Next year, she goes off to Kindergarten, but he has made the montessori transition and will be OK on his own.  It was a wholly different (and easier) experience dropping him off for the first few weeks than it was her (when she was all alone without a sibling to help her).  When elementary rolls around, they will be together again for a few years.  I really love this.

Is your daughter verbal enough to ask about her thoughts on a sibling?  Mine was BEGGING for a baby quite literally.  She would see a baby at the store and say "I neeeed one.  I need one for my house."  So she's quite into being a big sister and perhaps that's why I'm such a fan of the spacing.  I think she very much knew her place in our family and felt secure when he came along, but she had some great times together with him on days off from school/work.  I think I would feel worse about sending one off to school and having one at home honestly.  I work part time and the kids go to school 3 days a week.  We have two days together, just mom and the kids.  Next year, when DD is in kindergarten full time, I think it will be hard for her to see DS getting alone time with mom.  She'll get over it, but I think a transition to having a sibling AND going off to kindergarten soon after (unless you homeschool), would be difficult.  And I know my daughter had "alone time" with me initially, but she has no recollection of that.  So its a little different for sibling #2 to get alone time in the later years when sibling #1 goes off to school.

There's no magic answer and people will have different advice.  but 3 years was definetly the perfect spacing for us.  2 is too close for both the kids and the mama IMO and there is competition.  4 is a bit too far apart for me.

XOXO

B

mama to Milena Anjali (4/26/06) and Vincent Asher (4/13/09) ~ married to the love of my life since 2002.
#22 of 23 Old 01-24-2011, 01:18 PM

It's such a personal decision to make and relative to your family dynamics. We're trying for #2 right now, DD is almost 23 months old. I had hoped to be halfway through my pregnancy by now, but it's taking longer to get pregnant than we expected. For us, I think it will work because DD isn't nursing anymore, she's sleeping in her own bed through the night, most of the time she puts herself to sleep pretty easily, and she looooves babies. I see the big sister in her a lot when she's around other babies, so I feel like she is ready for it and I'd like to give her that sibling before she's old enough to know better, ya know?

Personally, I have 5 older siblings... the youngest one is 6 years older than me. I'm close to my sisters now, not so much my brothers but I'm close to their wives (who have all been in my life since I was very young, so they're really like sisters to me). But I don't feel like I grew up with my siblings. I feel like they grew up together and then I came along. So, I always wanted to have my kids closer together so they could actually experience growing up together. I, personally, want them to share memories of growing up like my siblings do with each other. I grew up differently than they did and many of them were getting ready to graduate high school and moving on with their adult lives while I was still a toddler.

That's just my personal experience.

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

#23 of 23 Old 01-24-2011, 01:43 PM

My kids are 2y7m apart.  I like it that way, but it was hard for some of the reasons you mention.  I would have liked to have a year of sleeping through the night first (I feel like I've been sleep-deprived for 4 years straight!).  I also think it would have been easier on my body to wait a year after weaning dd before ttc.  My kids are great, though, and I like the idea of being able to get back to work and other "me" activities a little sooner.  Although, we aren't planning to have more children, and I have been feeling sad lately about my kids growing up already.  Dd is almost 4, and I feel like crying sometimes.  Weird, maybe.

I have a friend who has 3 children with 6 years between them.  She likes that spacing too, but I will say with this 3rd babe she says she is having a hard time switching over from thinking she could immerse herself in her own stuff a little to being a full time baby mama again.

My sister's kids are 8 years apart.  It's kind of nice for her.  Her ds got her full attention for 8 years, and was old enough to help and communicate when the baby was born.

I think all kinds of spacing can be good.  Maybe whatever feels right and whatever happens will be just fine for you.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page