how much weight did your child gain between 2 yo and 3 yo? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-21-2011, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I can't find any good info on this just by googling.  DS has his 3 yo WBV coming up (he turns 3 at the end of february), and I will talk to his doctor about it.  DS hasn't gained any weight since his 2 yo visit... literally.  He was 26 pounds at 2 yo, and he's still 26 pounds.

I get nervous about weight b/c he fell off his charts at 5 months, and by the time he was 17 mo old had only gained 4 pounds.  Turned out, he had a massive hole in his heart and his heart was enlarged to 3 times it's normal size.  He had open heart surgery when he was 19 mo, and between the surgery and his 2 yo visit, he gained 7-8 pounds.  But then stopped gaining again.  He is getting taller, so that's something at least.

As far as diet, he's kind of picky... and actually requests pb&j sandwich for nearly every meal... we don't give in to this of course, but a typical daily menu looks something like this:

pb&j for early breakfast

midmorning snack at daycare (I think this is usually cereal or crackers)

lunch at daycare includes a protein, veggie, fruit, and milk

afternoon snack at daycare (usually some kind of crackers and water)

protein, veg, starch, fruit, and milk for dinner

for proteins, we do a meat or cheese dish (he loves steak, chicken, pork chops)

starch is usually either WW pasta, or brown rice, sometimes potato

we give him whole milk, and try to limit juice (although we do not have a juice ban in our house so he does get it regularly, but not more than one small cup a day)

we also add butter, olive oil, or sour cream to a lot of our dishes

we allow him to drink water/milk on demand.

I just stopped BFing about a month ago.

He doesn't like avocado, yogurt, nuts (except in the form of nut butter) or smoothies.

He has plenty of energy, although he is a terrible sleeper, and does have purple circles under his eyes.  He is smart, talkative, creative, sweet, very loving, and just generally pretty easy going (although he definitely has his moments).

mommy to Christopher 2/29/08
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 01-21-2011, 11:59 AM

http://www.cdc.gov/growthcharts/data/set2clinical/cj41l067.pdf

That's what your doc will use, and so should you.  How tall is he? Has he grown in height?

I'd recommend more fat in his diet, but that's just me. ;)

Part-time WAHM. Live with my workaholic mother, my over-worked husband, and wonderful daughter born in '07.
#3 of 5 Old 01-21-2011, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

other than using whole milk, adding butter, oil, or sour cream to nearly everything we cook... what are some good ways to get more fat into his diet?  Especially since he doesn't like avocado, yogurt, nuts, or smoothies?

last time we measured height, he was right at 36 inches.  I can't remember what his height was at his 2 yo visit, but I know that he's grown in height because he's gone from size 18 months to size 2T, but only for length.  He could still wear size 18 months based on his waist size.

mommy to Christopher 2/29/08
#4 of 5 Old 01-21-2011, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtney-Ostaff View Post

http://www.cdc.gov/growthcharts/data/set2clinical/cj41l067.pdf

That's what your doc will use, and so should you.  How tall is he? Has he grown in height?

I would be careful with the CDC charts, I believe they can be misleading. I know the CDC says their charts are acceptable after age 2, but I still would prefer to chart my own kid on the WHO charts until age 3 or 4 (though it's fine to track them on both) if you are/were extended breastfeeding... My 2yo is off the charts (below 0%) on the CDC charts but just fine on the WHO charts.

Anyway. Yeah, did he grow in height at all? ETA: Just saw your last post. I would be less concerned about the lack of weight gain if he's gained significant height.

The purple under his eyes would concern me, that could be a sign of food allergies/sensitivities, which could prevent him from gaining weight. 

It also sounds like his diet is awfully heavy on starches, but I'm sure that's typical of many toddlers.

Maybe the growth spurt after his surgery kind of leveled out & his body just hasn't needed to grow over the last year since it did so much growing all at once???? I really don't know. My DS hasn't really grown (height or weight) over the last ~9mos (but appears otherwise perfectly healthy) so it's something I'm keeping an eye on as well.

Hopefully your doc will have some insight.

Courtney-Ostaff likes this.

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#5 of 5 Old 01-21-2011, 04:48 PM

Sources of fat:

potato chips

ice cream

cookies

fried food (a la homemade nuggets or fries)

But yea, if he's growing in height, I wouldn't worry too much about it.  After 2, they grow very slowly.  My daughter, who is disgustingly healthy, only gained 3 lbs between age 2 and 3. She grew 6" though.

Part-time WAHM. Live with my workaholic mother, my over-worked husband, and wonderful daughter born in '07.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page