Mothering Forum banner

toddlers hanging up coat/putting shoes away?

815 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  carmel23 
#1 ·
I was going to post this in Montessori and still may, but wanted to see what other toddler families do with the coats/shoes.

In our house we have a coat closet and each child (4 of them) has a hook for their coat.

Except the toddler (13 months-old)....

And I am looking for advice/help/ suggestions on where to locate his hook so he can begin to learn to hang his coat up? I was going to put it inside the closet, on the door--right where he can reach it (with one of those nifty 3M hooks that can be easily removed...).

But does it make more sense to put it on the outside where it is more visible? I'm concerned he will take it down when he doesn't need it then, and we won't know where it is when we are in a rush to get out... but then he might have more opportunity to practice?

So..... How do you help to teach your child to hang up coat/gloves and put shoes away? Hook or toddler coat rack?

#2 ·
We have a shoe rack and she knows that the top rack is for her. When it's warm outside it's out on the porch, but when it's cold (like now) it's inside and visible in the living room. DD is really good about putting her shoes on top and does occasionally want to take all of her shoes off and line them up on the floor or things like that. I just tell her that she needs to put her shoes away because we're inside (we don't wear shoes in the house) and she happily lines them up on the rack.

As for coats, we have a coat closet right in the front door, so I just hang her coat with the adult ones. She helps me take her coat off and then gives it to me and I hang it. Sorry I'm not much help there.

#3 ·
I do much the same as the pp... I would love to let DS hang up his own coat but our entryway/closet is way too small to fit low hooks or coat racks. So I usually hand him his hanger or he just hands me his coat. He puts his shoes in the closet on the floor. Most of the other stuff in our house is more accessible to him (his sock drawer, the laundry hamper, his dishes, etc.) so I'm sure he'll figure out the coat thing for himself once he's tall enough to reach it.

Anyway, if you have the space for it, I'd do the hook inside the closet, but I can't imagine my DS 'practicing' putting his coat away, he'd just do it once & be done with it.

#5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMommy2007 View Post

We stuck some of those 3M hooks in the entryway at DD's level and also have a bin for her to put her shoes in. We have a coat closet too but I think it helps to have the hooks visible as a reminder of where her things go.
Yes, I think it is good to have stuff in site, and right by the door. Our coat closet is near the door.... hmm, maybe I'll get a few hooks and play around with it. :) Thanks for your input and sharing what works for your LO!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.