How to teach/encourage "waiting" - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-24-2011, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm sure I'm not the only whose little one waits for no one when it comes to anything. Wanting a certain, toy, food, drink etc.

It has to be NOW and NOW. 

How do you encourage your wee ones to wait?

Thanks!

[FONT="Tahoma"][B]Mary:::, mommy to Devon girl: 3.30.2006 and Smile Miles 2.24.2009, a funky little monkey!
#2 of 5 Old 01-24-2011, 08:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I started saying "Oh, Oh, Have Patience!!!"  In a very excited tone with a suprised  excited look on my face.  Then I say "I need 5 seconds of patience.  Let's count them!"  and I count to 5 while stirring dinner or washing a dish, and then give what was requested.  Of course 5 seconds isn't very long so you have to pick appropriate things to start this with that can be given in 5 seconds.  Eventually, DS learned to be quiet and listen to my counting.  He knew when I got to 5 he would get what he wanted. 

Then I started increasing my number of seconds.  I'm up to 30 seconds now.  It took a few months to get to where I am now, but it usually works.  The added benefit - DS can now count to 20 because he's heard it so many times :)

cyclamen likes this.

Life is strange and wonderful.  Me read.gif, DP lady.gif, DS (3/09) blahblah.gif , 3 dog2.gif  and 4 cat.gif

#3 of 5 Old 01-24-2011, 04:13 PM

We did a combination of the counting thing (practiced this when I was finishing up my shower, for ex. -- "Mommy will be out in ten seconds... 1... 2...") and doing "one minute" along with holding up one finger. The visual of my finger up really seemed to help, and I slowly extended how long our "one minute" lasted (starting with just a few seconds, and now it's closer to an actual minute, if not a bit longer)... It also seems to tell him YES. "Yes, I am going to pick you up, I just need to put down this basket first," or "Yes, we will [nurse] after you brush your teeth, c'mon let's go brush them!!" Sometimes he seems to think that waiting means "no" so we try really hard to acknowledge what he wants and tell him it IS coming.

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#4 of 5 Old 01-28-2011, 07:26 AM

notes.gif

What drives me crazy is that she will repeat herself over and over and over and over until I am done doing whatever had to happen before I could meet her need.  Even if I say yes after everytime, she will keep repeating her request. 

Mama to my Addie Bug wool.gif (10/2008) and angel1.gif (6/2010); nursing student & childbirth educator
#5 of 5 Old 01-29-2011, 07:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

DD repeats alot when she wants something too.  It dawned on me today that I do it to her.  Instead of asking her once, "DD please get your shoes," and waiting, patiently... I ask her like four times.  She does it whether I ask her a million times or not, so not sure why I do.

But regarding patience, we have been working on, "Waiiiit...." started out making her wait 1 second, and then making a big deal out of it.  Now she can wait probably 30 seconds.  Occasionally she forgets and wanders off!  (Probably temperment tho.)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page