Show me your toddler boy's long-and-straight-hair hairstyle! - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 146 Old 07-16-2012, 04:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 5.5 year old just had his haircut. He was so excited, even picked out the hairstyle online and took the pix to the salon. He's now got a faux hawk and the shortest hair he's had since he was a baby. He's loving the spikey hair and I have to do it for him every day. It is hardest on me, I loved his long hair. Oh well. It's his hair.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 of 146 Old 07-19-2012, 03:58 PM

This is my little man and his hair :) It's definitely usually "surfer style" so to speak. Not intentionally :)

Kourtney, happily married to my soldier and raising ds 7/08 .... dd 7/10..... and ds 11/11

#93 of 146 Old 07-26-2012, 03:38 AM

My little guys hair :) He's 2!

Wife to DH dh_malesling.GIF(12.10.2009), Anchorage based doula joy.gif, Proud mama to Autumnblahblah.gif (09.03.2008), Sylas bouncy.gif(04.25.2010), angel1.gif(06.11.2012), Callioperainbow1284.gif(04.23.2013)

#94 of 146 Old 08-25-2012, 10:40 AM

I'm new here, and this thread made me want to sign up!  My son is 10, not a toddler but he started growing his hair out at 3.  He went to his Dad's for 3 weeks 3 years ago and came back with it shaved!!!  I cried!  People tend to think I have 4 girls, instead of 3 girls and 1 boy, but Austin doesn't let it affect him.  Austin has been growing his hair for 2 years now - with trims here and there.  Here are some photos of my son :)

This is Austin in July of 2011

This is Austin July of 2012

#95 of 146 Old 09-02-2012, 07:44 AM

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

these are so heartwarming! I dont know whether you can spy my little man's long(ish) curls in the avatar pic. Just a quick question to mamma's of toddler boys, did/does your child still get cradle cap? we have it still.... it doesn't bother me much, we tried the oil before bed trick but it just made his hair, well, oily! was wondering if the length of his hair 'keeps it in' or so to speak. 

Either way his hair isn't getting cut! x

me, 25 dh, 25
awesome ds, 3
waiting and hoping on another ray of sunshine ttc #2 since 2013
#96 of 146 Old 09-03-2012, 06:35 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I've never uploaded from my phone, we'll see if this works. This was at his 2nd birthday. The back covers the back of his neck & curls on the ends. No plans to cut it, don't really care if people think he is a girl. Best care tip EVER: once a week after bath we mix about a cup of apple cider vinegar with 2 cups warm water & dump it on the back of his head. No rinse. It used to tangle & even dred something awful before but now it stays silky. The vinegar scent doesn't last long.

Eta: Darn no pic!

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk, please ignore typos!

Loving mama to Aden (8/5/2010) and DSD (15).
#97 of 146 Old 11-01-2012, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Hi everyone! Still loving these pics!!

Now in need of advice -- I'll have to re-read this, but DS2 now has long hair and gets horrible tangles in the back (almost a dreadlock). Some of these pictures have the most silky hair, but my DS2 has kindof frizzy stuff going on (and once I had to cut his hair out of a battery-operated train he got stuck in it) and is somewhat uneven. Any new care ideas?

Mama to angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gifangel1.gif

DS1 (6) jog.gif , DS2 (3)sleepytime.gifbaby.gif DD is here!

#98 of 146 Old 11-01-2012, 10:41 AM

Someone on this thread mentioned California Baby Detangler, so I bought some for DS...luckily, his hair is so fine and smooth, even when it's tangled, he doesn't really need it.  HOWEVER, mama has much coarser, frizzier hair and very little time to brush (sometimes it goes a few days at a time...bigeyes.gif) - thus, some serious mama dreadlocks (which I would keep, if only DH was on board!).

Anyway, California Baby Detangler does WONDERS on my toughest mama dreads - highly recommend, if you haven't tried it. thumb.gif

~ Lucky wife of DH blowkiss.gifand loving mama to DS biggrinbounce.gif (04/11) ~

treehugger.gif * femalesling.GIF * ecbaby2.gif *cd.gif * familybed1.gif * bf.gif * namaste.gif *

#99 of 146 Old 11-01-2012, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, thanks, pickle, I will have to pick some up!

Mama to angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gifangel1.gif

DS1 (6) jog.gif , DS2 (3)sleepytime.gifbaby.gif DD is here!

#100 of 146 Old 11-01-2012, 01:36 PM

Thanks for all the inspiration and cute pics! I love my 14mo DSʻs long hair but itʻs so straight and fine that I worry it bothers him in his face. I donʻt really want to do bangs so Iʻve been parting it to the side, but someone told me he looked like a 60ʻs insurance salesman :( I know it was just a joke, but I wonder if I should trim it. How do you trim it without making bangs, or do you just have to let it go through the awkward stage of being in the eyes? Iʻd love your thoughts! 

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

#101 of 146 Old 11-01-2012, 01:47 PM

We are dealing with the same phase - his dad is itching to cut bangs, but I'm hangin' in there until he can push it behind his ears.  Sometimes we part it down the middle, sometimes sweep it to the side (this looks a little Bieber-esque IMO lol.gif).  DS is getting the hang of brushing it out of his eyes himself, too.

~ Lucky wife of DH blowkiss.gifand loving mama to DS biggrinbounce.gif (04/11) ~

treehugger.gif * femalesling.GIF * ecbaby2.gif *cd.gif * familybed1.gif * bf.gif * namaste.gif *

#102 of 146 Old 11-02-2012, 09:17 AM

cuteness overload in this thread..!

#103 of 146 Old 11-02-2012, 09:17 AM

cuteness overload in this thread..!

#104 of 146 Old 12-05-2012, 04:04 PM

Jasper September 2012

I've never cut his hair, he will be 3 in February. Like most other little hippie boys, he's told he's a "beautiful little girl!" frequently. He's being raised without generspheres and without socialspheres, so we take it in stride. He's not too crazy about brushing it, but if he can "help" he's less fussy. His hair has a fantastic curl to it, but when it's mostly flat/straight it nearly comes down to his waist. In it's usual style, it comes just past the middle of his back. He gets many compliments on it and very little discrimination. He's just a rad kid and I'm lucky to have him. <3

#105 of 146 Old 12-06-2012, 04:40 PM

So many cute babies here! Our son has beautiful soft waves, never been cut except to trim his bangs out of his eyes. Straight in the front, curly in the back. For detangling, I like to use a product without parabens and other endocrine-disrupting chemicals. We use Oyin Handmade Greg Juice--just spray it on tangled bits and we can comb the tangles right out. So quick and easy that he (reluctantly) doesn't resist my combing his hair out.

Oyin is mostly for African-American hair (I'm mixed and use different Oyin products for my hair), but Greg Juice is perfect for soft Nordic waves like our son has.
#106 of 146 Old 12-26-2012, 06:08 PM

Jude River, 4 1/2 years. <3 We've been tempted quitr a few times to cut it and am sooo glad we didn't. He's had a layer added and that's made all the difference.

#107 of 146 Old 12-26-2012, 10:29 PM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

ElderSon is 31 (that's YEARS not months!), so he doesn't quite count as a toddler any more. And I don't have any digital pictures. But this thread, with all the cute pics, reminded me of a funny story.

ElderSon had long, blond curls when he was little. We lived on a sailboat in the Caribbean, and traveled to various remote islands off the Central American coast. At one island in particular, when he was maybe 2, we had a serious language barrier with the local folks, as Spanish was not the native language (they spoke a native language I never learned the name of). They had had little contact with outsiders at all, and certainly had rarely seen blond hair. I was talking with 5 or 6 of the local women, trying, laughingly, to convince them my son was a boy. With lots of charades, butchered Spanish and English. It was becoming clear that they simply did not believe me, although their (naked) toddlers had long hair as well, boys and girls. Finally, a grandmotherly type looked into his diaper to confirm. Okay, that was settled, he really was a boy. All the women were amazed, and called their friends over to come see. I took his diaper off (he certainly didn't mind), and all the village was amazed. Even the men were pointing and laughing. It was all very friendly, and certainly an icebreaker.

We stayed there a couple weeks, and despite the language barrier, eventually I discovered why they were so surprised at his gender. Seems they had really NEVER seen a blond person before. With one minor exception. There was a small stack of Playboy magazines some previous sailor had left. Some of the models, quite clearly female, had blond hair! They had simply assumed all blonds were women.

I usually kept his hair in a braid. When we finally cut it, at age 5 (his choice), I saved the braid. It was 17 inches long. I still have it. A cool feature is that it perfectly documents his hair color change from light blond, though all the gradual changes, to today's dark brown.

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

#108 of 146 Old 01-11-2013, 03:44 PM

My son is 5, he has always had (what most people would consider) long hair. He gets called a girl regularly, but he has gotten to where he handles that himself. He does not hesitate to tell people that he is a boy. If they contiune to explain their mistake, will ask them how many girls wear dino and skater shirts. Nothing like getting put in your place by a 5 year old.

#109 of 146 Old 01-11-2013, 04:32 PM

My son is 5, he has always had (what most people would consider) long hair. He gets called a girl regularly, but he has gotten to where he handles that himself. He does not hesitate to tell people that he is a boy. If they contiune to explain their mistake, will ask them how many girls wear dino and skater shirts. Nothing like getting put in your place by a 5 year old.

#110 of 146 Old 01-11-2013, 04:35 PM

Sorry for the double post.

#111 of 146 Old 02-23-2013, 03:01 PM

I havent cut his hair ever and its gorgeous I dont plan on it at all. I think not cutting his bangs have given him awesome layers which I think make his hair stand out, although he is often mistaken for a girl. Its alot longer than this picture now. he never questions or complains about his hair.

#112 of 146 Old 02-23-2013, 10:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I love this post, as I am feeling a lot of remorse after cutting my 30 mo DS strait locks.  So strait it just covered his face, but I think we are going to start growing it again.  Keep posting!

Aug 2009;  DS1 Sep 2010; Dec 2012; Dec 2013; May 2014
#113 of 146 Old 02-23-2013, 11:07 PM

He's 22 months, and his hair has always grown really slowly. I trim his bangs so that the hair stops dangling in front of his eyes making him rub at them, but other than that, it'll be his decision, when he's older, whether to get it cut or not. He's awesomely curly in the back, and straight at the front. No one's mistaken him for a girl, at least not yet, but I don't hold a high opinion over babies and their gender, so it wouldn't bother me whenever people start confusing him, if they will.

#114 of 146 Old 02-27-2013, 12:49 PM

AppleMark

My sons hair is starting to get long. He had it cut to even it out when he was younger (a year ago). 

I need tips on keeping it out of his eyes at this phase! I've tried bobby pins and he pulls them out, but he complains its in his eyes but doesn't want to cut it either! Its not long enough to do a pony tail (in the back it is, not the front tough). In the back its past his sholders now! 

- Mom to Baby Mark (9/18/10) and 4 wonderful dogs!
#115 of 146 Old 03-01-2013, 12:58 PM

I will be watching and waiting to see if anyone has ideas. lurk.gif

DS' hair is about the same length as your son's, sk8boarder.  Just shy of all of it fitting into a ponytail.  He brushes it out of his face alot, sometimes it makes him a lil cross.  It mostly fits behind his ear if his hair is parted down the middle, or on the side of the part.  If it's parted on the side, the majority of it won't make it all the way back to the other ear, though.

DH used to have long hair, and he says it's just one of those "the only way out is through" kind of things. shrug.gif  He will use water to dampen DS' hair and then put it back behind his ears, as that helps hold it (for a little while anyway).

I am tempted to buy him some athletic headbands (DH thinks that is ridiculous but it could work!).  Doesn't even have to be the wide kind - I had some thinner Goody ones with grips before (not girly).  I think this will be my own secret experiment. 2whistle.gif

#116 of 146 Old 03-02-2013, 12:04 PM

Lol. My DH got kind of upset when he saw Mark with bobby pins holding his hair back one night. But since then M decided he hates the pins. The best we can do right now, is a hat or his bike helmet (which is on him a lot). 

- Mom to Baby Mark (9/18/10) and 4 wonderful dogs!
#117 of 146 Old 03-08-2013, 11:49 AM

DSʻs hair is in his eyes a lot lately too and he refuses any kind of hat, pins, clips or hair ties. Nothing can touch his head! I have just been combing it really well to the side after his bath and putting a little gel in it, to help train it to go to the side and not the front. Itʻs still in his eyes a ton, but I figure that in a few more months, it will fit behind his ears. 

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

#118 of 146 Old 03-12-2013, 10:30 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

This is the look I'm looking for with James.  It's not that long, yet, though, almost to his shoulders in the back, just above his eyebrows in the front, with a natural side part, and a hint of a curl at the bottom.  I just had to cut the bangs a couple days ago 'cause they were in his eyes all day long, but I didn't want to, plus, James told me in no uncertain terms, "No more haircut, want long hair like Dada!" afterwards.  lol  Having two older psuedo sisters, as well as two female cousins his age I babysit often, he will sometimes ask me to put his hair in a ponytail on top of his head... but I've gotten many dirty looks from strangers once they find out he's a boy with a ponytail.  irked.gif  I dread when he begins daycare in a couple months because of this- he may hear comments when I'm not there to defend him.  How did you keep it out of his eyes until it got to this length?  And how lont did it take to get that long?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusma View Post

Jude River, 4 1/2 years. <3 We've been tempted quitr a few times to cut it and am sooo glad we didn't. He's had a layer added and that's made all the difference.

I pray for the day Family Court recognizes that CHILDREN have rights, parents only have PRIVILEGES.  Only then, will I know my child is safe.
#119 of 146 Old 04-20-2013, 09:14 AM

This is my little boy's hair, so far he hasn't  had a proper haircut and I feel the more time passes the less i want to cut his hair :)

#120 of 146 Old 04-20-2013, 09:34 AM

lotusma: your son's hair looks just like my son's.

I have a question: if you are out and someone calls your son a girl or refers to him as she, do you correct them? My 4.5 yr old has long hair and is always dressed very "boy-ish" but adults pretty consistently think he is a girl. So, do you correct them? let it go? or let him correct them if he wants to?

Pamstillheart.gif Cliffguitar.gif Malachi 5/08 bouncy.gif   Judah 5/10 jog.gif  Eden 8/12 babygirl.gif Asher 8/12 babyboy.gif

You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~CS Lewis

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page