Mothering Forum banner

Show me your toddler boy's long-and-straight-hair hairstyle!

138K views 145 replies 86 participants last post by  shesaidboom 
#1 ·
DH really wants me to keep DS1's hair long. I love boys with long curls, but have not seen a lot of styles that look great for little boys with long, straight hair. I bet there are plenty of people with examples here on MDC! Show me your pictures to give me ideas!!

Thanks!

#104 ·
Jasper September 2012

I've never cut his hair, he will be 3 in February. Like most other little hippie boys, he's told he's a "beautiful little girl!" frequently. He's being raised without generspheres and without socialspheres, so we take it in stride. He's not too crazy about brushing it, but if he can "help" he's less fussy. His hair has a fantastic curl to it, but when it's mostly flat/straight it nearly comes down to his waist. In it's usual style, it comes just past the middle of his back. He gets many compliments on it and very little discrimination. He's just a rad kid and I'm lucky to have him. <3

#105 ·
So many cute babies here! Our son has beautiful soft waves, never been cut except to trim his bangs out of his eyes. Straight in the front, curly in the back. For detangling, I like to use a product without parabens and other endocrine-disrupting chemicals. We use Oyin Handmade Greg Juice--just spray it on tangled bits and we can comb the tangles right out. So quick and easy that he (reluctantly) doesn't resist my combing his hair out.

Oyin is mostly for African-American hair (I'm mixed and use different Oyin products for my hair), but Greg Juice is perfect for soft Nordic waves like our son has.

#107 ·
ElderSon is 31 (that's YEARS not months!), so he doesn't quite count as a toddler any more. And I don't have any digital pictures. But this thread, with all the cute pics, reminded me of a funny story.

ElderSon had long, blond curls when he was little. We lived on a sailboat in the Caribbean, and traveled to various remote islands off the Central American coast. At one island in particular, when he was maybe 2, we had a serious language barrier with the local folks, as Spanish was not the native language (they spoke a native language I never learned the name of). They had had little contact with outsiders at all, and certainly had rarely seen blond hair. I was talking with 5 or 6 of the local women, trying, laughingly, to convince them my son was a boy. With lots of charades, butchered Spanish and English. It was becoming clear that they simply did not believe me, although their (naked) toddlers had long hair as well, boys and girls. Finally, a grandmotherly type looked into his diaper to confirm. Okay, that was settled, he really was a boy. All the women were amazed, and called their friends over to come see. I took his diaper off (he certainly didn't mind), and all the village was amazed. Even the men were pointing and laughing. It was all very friendly, and certainly an icebreaker.

We stayed there a couple weeks, and despite the language barrier, eventually I discovered why they were so surprised at his gender. Seems they had really NEVER seen a blond person before. With one minor exception. There was a small stack of Playboy magazines some previous sailor had left. Some of the models, quite clearly female, had blond hair! They had simply assumed all blonds were women.

I usually kept his hair in a braid. When we finally cut it, at age 5 (his choice), I saved the braid. It was 17 inches long. I still have it. A cool feature is that it perfectly documents his hair color change from light blond, though all the gradual changes, to today's dark brown.

#108 ·
My son is 5, he has always had (what most people would consider) long hair. He gets called a girl regularly, but he has gotten to where he handles that himself. He does not hesitate to tell people that he is a boy. If they contiune to explain their mistake, will ask them how many girls wear dino and skater shirts. Nothing like getting put in your place by a 5 year old.

#109 ·
My son is 5, he has always had (what most people would consider) long hair. He gets called a girl regularly, but he has gotten to where he handles that himself. He does not hesitate to tell people that he is a boy. If they contiune to explain their mistake, will ask them how many girls wear dino and skater shirts. Nothing like getting put in your place by a 5 year old.

#111 ·

I havent cut his hair ever and its gorgeous I dont plan on it at all. I think not cutting his bangs have given him awesome layers which I think make his hair stand out, although he is often mistaken for a girl. Its alot longer than this picture now. he never questions or complains about his hair.

#113 ·

He's 22 months, and his hair has always grown really slowly. I trim his bangs so that the hair stops dangling in front of his eyes making him rub at them, but other than that, it'll be his decision, when he's older, whether to get it cut or not. He's awesomely curly in the back, and straight at the front. No one's mistaken him for a girl, at least not yet, but I don't hold a high opinion over babies and their gender, so it wouldn't bother me whenever people start confusing him, if they will.

#114 ·

AppleMark

My sons hair is starting to get long. He had it cut to even it out when he was younger (a year ago).

I need tips on keeping it out of his eyes at this phase! I've tried bobby pins and he pulls them out, but he complains its in his eyes but doesn't want to cut it either! Its not long enough to do a pony tail (in the back it is, not the front tough). In the back its past his sholders now!

#115 ·
I will be watching and waiting to see if anyone has ideas.
lurk.gif

DS' hair is about the same length as your son's, sk8boarder. Just shy of all of it fitting into a ponytail. He brushes it out of his face alot, sometimes it makes him a lil cross. It mostly fits behind his ear if his hair is parted down the middle, or on the side of the part. If it's parted on the side, the majority of it won't make it all the way back to the other ear, though.

DH used to have long hair, and he says it's just one of those "the only way out is through" kind of things.
shrug.gif
He will use water to dampen DS' hair and then put it back behind his ears, as that helps hold it (for a little while anyway).

I am tempted to buy him some athletic headbands (DH thinks that is ridiculous but it could work!). Doesn't even have to be the wide kind - I had some thinner Goody ones with grips before (not girly). I think this will be my own secret experiment.
2whistle.gif

#117 ·
DSʻs hair is in his eyes a lot lately too and he refuses any kind of hat, pins, clips or hair ties. Nothing can touch his head! I have just been combing it really well to the side after his bath and putting a little gel in it, to help train it to go to the side and not the front. Itʻs still in his eyes a ton, but I figure that in a few more months, it will fit behind his ears.

#118 ·
This is the look I'm looking for with James. It's not that long, yet, though, almost to his shoulders in the back, just above his eyebrows in the front, with a natural side part, and a hint of a curl at the bottom. I just had to cut the bangs a couple days ago 'cause they were in his eyes all day long, but I didn't want to, plus, James told me in no uncertain terms, "No more haircut, want long hair like Dada!" afterwards. lol Having two older psuedo sisters, as well as two female cousins his age I babysit often, he will sometimes ask me to put his hair in a ponytail on top of his head... but I've gotten many dirty looks from strangers once they find out he's a boy with a ponytail.
irked.gif
I dread when he begins daycare in a couple months because of this- he may hear comments when I'm not there to defend him. How did you keep it out of his eyes until it got to this length? And how lont did it take to get that long?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusma View Post

Jude River, 4 1/2 years. <3 We've been tempted quitr a few times to cut it and am sooo glad we didn't. He's had a layer added and that's made all the difference.

#120 ·
lotusma: your son's hair looks just like my son's.

I have a question: if you are out and someone calls your son a girl or refers to him as she, do you correct them? My 4.5 yr old has long hair and is always dressed very "boy-ish" but adults pretty consistently think he is a girl. So, do you correct them? let it go? or let him correct them if he wants to?

#121 ·
HI, I know my son's hair is shorter than lotsuma's even though it's now longer than in the picture I posted (shoulder length now), he's 20 months old and they constantly call him a girl ... i dress him in boyish clothes but it makes no difference as they will keep on calling him "she", i do not usually correct them unless we start a longer conversation, he is too small to feel annoyed but if he started to feel so I'd say he's a boy, with a smile on my face.

What do you do instead?

#122 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda Gomez View Post

This is my little boy's hair, so far he hasn't had a proper haircut and I feel the more time passes the less i want to cut his hair
smile.gif

I really like this! This is what I'm trying to do with my son's hair (he's 12 mos). Have you never cut any of it at all? I've been cutting the bottom of my son's hair because I'm not a fan of his bottom curlies lol but I'm not sure how to get it to how your son's is.

#126 ·
I put my boy's hair in a pony, just the front 1/2, on top of his head, ala Pebbles. lol

when he got older and his hair got longer, I just swept it to the side with a magic clip (one of those snappy ones that bend?) in a brown or black color.

When people call him a girl, now that he's 6, i let him deal with it (his hair is much shorter then it used to be, but still long). But when he was younger, we got it ALL THE TIME. So, we just said ignored it and either said thank you, he is pretty/beautiful/etc... or just continued on our conversation while using the correct pronoun: he, his, him while referring to our son. No biggie. People always get all 'i'm SO SORRY!' oops, etc... no big deal. That (to me) is the annoying part.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.