So how is this for a 2yo birthday party 'theme' ? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 02-01-2011, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DS is turning 2 in April and I want to have a little get together- I'm not a huge fan of overly orchestrated, super spendy, character themed etc... b-day parties. His first B day was super fun and very low key, with some other children his age but it was mostly our crunchy 30something crowd who all absolutely adore him. 

This year, we have a wider circle of friends with similarly aged children, so I am even more excited about his party (which might be why I'm thinking about it 2 months in advance! : P ) 

So I'm thinking about having recycling as the theme- make the hats, invites and decorations out of cereal boxes and such... 

Good idea? 

Dirt worshiping, creatress Mama to Rowan and Alden - home birth loving, no circ, no vax, extended breast feeding, cloth diapering, baby wearing, cosleeping

#2 of 7 Old 02-01-2011, 10:31 AM

In my opinion, it is an excellent idea!

Me 40 eat.gif. Partner to mamacolleen 33 superhero.gif. DD born July 2009 blahblah.gif. Twin boys born Nov 2012.

We are a family that loves cold.giftreehugger.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#3 of 7 Old 02-01-2011, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

Any other ideas? : ) I'm really hoping that if folks bring gifts, they choose to bring gently used items or handmade things since the theme is recycling : P 

Dirt worshiping, creatress Mama to Rowan and Alden - home birth loving, no circ, no vax, extended breast feeding, cloth diapering, baby wearing, cosleeping

#4 of 7 Old 02-01-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGranolaMama View Post

I'm really hoping that if folks bring gifts, they choose to bring gently used items or handmade things since the theme is recycling : P 

LOL I think that's a little optimistic (though of course I don't know your friends!) -- it seems like everyone wants to give kids NEW gifts. Here's an idea -- if you don't mind your DS getting only 1 gift -- you could have it be a toy swap party. Ask everyone who wants to participate to bring a gently-used/homemade toy to swap with another guest. Same idea as a book swap party. :) I love the recycling theme, only other thought is to add another part to the theme... 'recycling dinosaurs' or whatever your DS is into -- because the recycling concept is kind of abstract for toddlers, KWIM? I think just 'recycling' alone is fine too, of course, but I am trying to do a book-theme party for DS (not a specific book, just 'books' in general) & had a hard time coming up with a fun cake etc. so it's not as... themed... as I would like it to be, more just a randomness party lol, which I guess is fine too. Sorry I'm rambling lol. You can also have the guests do a simple recycled craft, and one of my friends recycled large cardboard boxes to make toys like a big train for the kids to play in.

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#5 of 7 Old 02-10-2011, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mommy View Post

LOL I think that's a little optimistic (though of course I don't know your friends!) -- it seems like everyone wants to give kids NEW gifts. Here's an idea -- if you don't mind your DS getting only 1 gift -- you could have it be a toy swap party. Ask everyone who wants to participate to bring a gently-used/homemade toy to swap with another guest. Same idea as a book swap party. :) I love the recycling theme, only other thought is to add another part to the theme... 'recycling dinosaurs' or whatever your DS is into -- because the recycling concept is kind of abstract for toddlers, KWIM? I think just 'recycling' alone is fine too, of course, but I am trying to do a book-theme party for DS (not a specific book, just 'books' in general) & had a hard time coming up with a fun cake etc. so it's not as... themed... as I would like it to be, more just a randomness party lol, which I guess is fine too. Sorry I'm rambling lol. You can also have the guests do a simple recycled craft, and one of my friends recycled large cardboard boxes to make toys like a big train for the kids to play in.

Awesome ideas! I LOVE the idea of a toy/book swap! And you are totally right about needing another 'theme' to go along- so I am thinking maybe a farm/barnyard theme- I worked part time on an organic veggie farm for the summer and he came along with me and is still REALLY into horses/tractors etc... So maybe I can come by some big boxes and make a barn and grain bin for the kiddos to play in : ) 

#6 of 7 Old 11-02-2012, 02:33 AM
Banned

Hey wonderful idea. I am sure other mommies would also love this.

#7 of 7 Old 11-04-2012, 07:20 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mommy View Post

the recycling concept is kind of abstract for toddlers, KWIM?

This was my thought. It's an original and unusual idea and I think if you use some of the suggestions here to make it more kid-accessible then it's a good one.

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page