So nervous, dd is getting tubes tomorrow - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-13-2011, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My dd is 2 1/ 2 and getting tubes in her ears.  I'm not looking forward to tonight and tomorrow morning.  I can't nurse her or give her anything from midnight on.  She's been sick this weekend and hopefully they can still go through with this tomorrow morning.  I hope it isn't a traumatic experience for her tomorrow.

I just want her to feel better.  She's had 6 infections in 6 months.  It is out of control.  Has anyone had a good experience with this that turned you dc around?  I've heard a few good stories.  I hope this is worth it.  She has fluid in her ears as we speak and I'm tired of finding new and innovative ways of mixing antibiotics into popsicles and other treats to try to get her to take them.

#2 of 6 Old 02-13-2011, 08:20 PM

Mama,
I am here to ease your worries.  DS had tubes put in last month and he's not had an infection since, nor any fluid in his ears.  I'm going to PM you b/c my story will be long, but don't you worry about a thing.  You will be very, very happy this time tomorrow night!

#3 of 6 Old 02-13-2011, 09:14 PM

My dd and ds2 both had tubes. My dd was my first and I got to take her in to the operating room and came out crying. I wasn't even done bawling to my dh when they came to tell me she was done - it's really fast. She had her first pair in for 2.5 years (unusually long) and had no infections during that entire time. After they fell out she had 4 infections (2 in each ear) in 6 weeks. Got her second set and she wanted to go to preschool that very day! 14 years later she's had strep maybe twice and a sinus infection when she was 13. Nothing else. My ds2 got his after so many perforated ear drums he still has issues from the scarring. But no more ear infections in 10 years. Then there is ds1, only one ear infection ever in 14 years.
#4 of 6 Old 02-14-2011, 03:12 PM

My oldest two children (now ages 15 and 8) both had tubes put in before the age of 1. It was hard for me to see them go through it but it was like the snap of a finger, they were instantly better and never again had one single ear infection. That was soooo nice. They would get colds and no longer get the dreaded EI at the end of every single cold. It may be tough during the time your child is in the recovery room, but by the time she is at home I'm betting she will be running around playing (with some pain meds in her). :-) Both of mine were back then. It hurts the parents more than the child IMO. The whole procedure is over with very quickly!!! She will be in and out and gone home in no time. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipper26 View Post

My dd is 2 1/ 2 and getting tubes in her ears.  I'm not looking forward to tonight and tomorrow morning.  I can't nurse her or give her anything from midnight on.  She's been sick this weekend and hopefully they can still go through with this tomorrow morning.  I hope it isn't a traumatic experience for her tomorrow.

I just want her to feel better.  She's had 6 infections in 6 months.  It is out of control.  Has anyone had a good experience with this that turned you dc around?  I've heard a few good stories.  I hope this is worth it.  She has fluid in her ears as we speak and I'm tired of finding new and innovative ways of mixing antibiotics into popsicles and other treats to try to get her to take them.

Proud *single* mom to 3 amazing kiddos
#5 of 6 Old 02-14-2011, 07:28 PM

The tube was a piece of cake for my son.  Very light sedation and I was back with him about 10 mins after they took him.  Didn't have a single ear infection until he lost one tube.  Before the tubes, he had 30 ear infections, so they definitely helped here!

Cassie, mom to Alex(4/7/05), Aidan(7/12/07), and Andrew(8/18/08)

#6 of 6 Old 02-15-2011, 06:33 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)

I thought there were different rules for breastmilk (ie can feed up to 3 hours before surgery) because it's so quick to digest? The whole point is not to have anything in the stomach. It might be worth looking that up. Most Dr's just use the same rules for food.. when in fact the rules for water are more appropriate I have read.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page