Could it be ear issues? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-20-2011, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My son is 15 months. He had a lot of ear infections when he was little(between 2-6 months)

I know he can walk, but he acts really shy about it. he will take a few steps to diffrent things, but not normal walking. If we hold his hand, he can walk just fine. Same with his walker*a toy car that converts to a push toy*

He is not saying many words. Maybe 1-2 words. He don't like me cleaning his ears,and covers them sometimes. He don't act like his ears are hurting. He just seems to be covering them to play around. He don't pull them, just cups them and babbles and plays. Mostly while sitting or eating. I am not worried about that to much but just take note.

I talked to my doctor. he said not to panic yet. In 3 months they will screen him more.

Could It be sensitive hearing?

He don't act like he can't hear. We call him, play games, and he reacts joyfully:) He is always smiling:) But some sounds, bring him to tears. Like food mixers,carts at the supermarket that gets paper stuck in the wheels, some toys. I know those are kinda scary. But other nosies you think he would not like, he don't really care.

Would that effect him talking and walking?

It is hard to explain since it is one of those things you need to see. But anyone have this happen?

#2 of 5 Old 02-21-2011, 12:16 PM

It sounds like he has some signs of auditory defensiveness, I guess you could say it is another name for sensitive hearing. Some people say hypersensitivity to sounds. You can google it to find out more. It does not have an effect on walking or talking. I'm not sure what kind of screening your doctor would want to do, it isn't that he can't hear or even that he can hear more than others, just that he is effected differently than other people by sounds, usually specific sounds.

#3 of 5 Old 02-21-2011, 03:15 PM

i think my 2 yo has this too- she has always been sensitive to loud or jarring noises. it was terrible living in a basement apt beneath noisy ppl.  she started walking @ 16 months, and still has balance difficulties.  she is very verbal tho- not the largest vocab, but fluent & talks a LOT w no hesitation- she makes up the words she doesn't know.

we took her to pt @ 19 months and were told she's fine, will grow out of it.  tho dh wants further evaluation.

nak 

#4 of 5 Old 02-21-2011, 09:44 PM

I was thinking about your post today and I wonder what you are doing to clean out her ears? A light sweep of the outer ear with a wash cloth should be sufficient. Children don't usually need their ears cleaned. If you decide to seek an evaluation I strongly suggest going to an OT who works with children and is well trained/experienced with children with sensory issues/disorders.

#5 of 5 Old 02-22-2011, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbjmama View Post

I was thinking about your post today and I wonder what you are doing to clean out her ears? A light sweep of the outer ear with a wash cloth should be sufficient. Children don't usually need their ears cleaned.

That. Earwax is actually a useful substance, same as tears keep our eyes lubricated and protect them, so does earwax. Sometimes there is excessive earwax, which need treatment, but that's not the typical scenario.

Personally, I found garlic-mullein oil to be helpful with ear infections of my 15month old.

I would not worry to much about the walking issue. I've met children that never tumble and fall, because they are so careful. Others bump their heads all the time.

What you describe regarding his ears could be just a toddler habit, but I'd pay close attention to what's going on and wait for the evaluation coming up.

Mom since Oct'09. Wife to a loving husband. Expecting a little bean in May'12

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page