Woudl you let your toddler wear footie pajamas to Target? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#31 of 190 Old 02-23-2011, 03:14 PM
 
puddle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 911
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I agree with most of the PP--pajamas are fine, but shoes required if she's walking.  My 3.5 year old DD went to go pick up dinner with Daddy the other day in pajamas and pink cowboy boots!

 

Back before I gave up, and when getting DD dressed was a major struggle, I used to just put her to bed in regular clothes so she'd already be dressed and we could avoid the fight.

puddle is offline  
#32 of 190 Old 02-23-2011, 03:24 PM
 
tessa67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Jammies all the way. One of the joys of childhood, IMO, is being able to wear footie jammies in public.  Cozy and comfortable.

tessa67 is offline  
#33 of 190 Old 02-23-2011, 03:24 PM
 
TwoMoons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Beautiful Colorado
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I too have decided not to fight this particular battle.  It's varied from my 3-year-old only wearing the same set of clothes for days on end, to only wearing pajamas, to only wearing footie pajamas.  Sometimes, if it really matters, I negotiate, but generally I let it go.  I figure it's her body, so it's her right to decide what to put on it.

 

Besides, she's freaking adorable wandering around in her "bear bottom" button-flap pajamas.  Sometimes with a crown.  Because that's how she rolls.

Ruthla and Jella1974 like this.
TwoMoons is offline  
#34 of 190 Old 02-23-2011, 03:39 PM
 
Jella1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 3yro wears his costumes and PJ's all day! I do not see anything wrong with it. Though he does wear his regular clothes when we do go places when he knows if we're going eat out to lunch or out of the house all day. But I think it's ok for them to wear what they want when we go to the grocery store or a quick run to walmart or target.

I let him pick his clothes most of the time, and he has no color coordination or fashion sense I want him to be able to express himself as best as he can. He does have the Super Why face mask that he insists on wearing cause he tells me, "all superheros need to protect their identity". biglaugh.gif  So I just let him be, cause once I tried to make him take off the mask he screamed for 4 hours!! NEVER AGAIN!  His latest fascination is swim goggles!

Jella1974 is offline  
#35 of 190 Old 02-23-2011, 03:47 PM
 
mamazee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: US midwest
Posts: 7,500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My 2-year-old frequently wears footie pjs to Target, and all the heck elsewhere too.  All day even.  I can't imagine forcing this.

mamazee is offline  
#36 of 190 Old 02-23-2011, 03:51 PM
 
Llyra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: right here
Posts: 9,450
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I wouldn't worry about it. I once let DD2 (she was 3 years old at the time) wear a flannel Kermit the Frog costume (footed, with a hood) to the beach, on a hot day in August. I try not to pick battles unless there's a clear, compelling reason. And to me, at this age, it doesn't seem like an issue.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
Llyra is offline  
#37 of 190 Old 02-23-2011, 04:32 PM
 
kawa kamuri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,867
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I would have no problem with this. She'd ride in the cart and I wouldn't give a flip about anyone else's opinion. 


Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

 
       

kawa kamuri is offline  
#38 of 190 Old 02-23-2011, 04:41 PM
 
Llyra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: right here
Posts: 9,450
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer's Wife View Post

Of course.  But then, I'm someone who feels okay wearing yoga pants to the grocery store.


That's not allowed? hide.gif I'm in big trouble, then. 'Cause I went to the grocery store in flannel pj bottoms, a hoodie sweatshirt, and felt clogs, just last week. lol.gif

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
Llyra is offline  
#39 of 190 Old 02-23-2011, 04:50 PM
 
Ruthla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 47,599
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I do NOT get into battles about clothing, unless it's something innapropriate for the weather (in which case I'll let the child wear what he or she wants and then pack appropriate clothing for when the child gets too cold or too hot.) I once let DS wear a "jack o lantern" dress to (Orthodox Jewish) preschool when he was 3! I packed his regular clothes in his backpack and he came home wearing them, with the dress in the backpack. (We'd been going through the costume box before Purim and he found DD2's old Halloween costume.) Another time (when he was about 7) he wanted to wear a superhero costume to the store in 90 degree heat. I let him, but insisted he have shorts and  a T shirt underneath (not just underwear) so he could take the costume off when he got too hot.

 

If the child was too old to carry, I'd make him or her wear shoes over the footie pajamas for safer walking in the parking lot. Other than that, I would let it go.

 

Eventually kids reach an age where they care about fashion and don't want to be seen in public in pajamas or silly costumes. Enjoy toddlerhood while it's here.


Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
Ruthla is offline  
#40 of 190 Old 02-23-2011, 04:57 PM
 
shulamis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Wow. I am really surprised about the clear consensus that it's perfectly OK to let a toddler go to the store in PJs. It's true that there is nothing inherently unsafe about it. None of the other shoppers will be offended. And your day will go on as usual. 

 

But, my gosh, isn't our job to teach our children what is socially acceptable and "right"? How would you feel if your child was 12 and wanted to go out in PJs? Or 17? I know that's a trend right now, and maybe this is why.... Were all these PJ wearing college aged children coddled as toddlers and never taught that there are "outside" clothes and "inside" clothes?

 

Furthermore, a child asserting themselves over an issue like this just needs some kind of small choice in the matter. Example of how to usually kill this kind of "battle";

 

"You want to wear your PJs to the store, but you are not allowed to since those are inside cloths. You may pick which outside pants to wear; red or blue."

 

I believe it is NEVER too early to teach manners, respect and social responsibilities. If you don't teach them this stuff when they're 2, when DO you teach it?

 

Sincerely, mother of a 5yo boy who still calls his jeans "outside pants". And daycare provider of children ages 1 to 7.

shulamis is offline  
#41 of 190 Old 02-23-2011, 05:01 PM
 
mamazee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: US midwest
Posts: 7,500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Kids naturally want to conform with other kids as they get older.  Really, this is not an issue.  I don't even like the argument "if you don't teach it as x how will they know to do it at y?"  It's completely normal and rational to have different expectations for different ages.  Honestly I wouldnt' even care if my 9-year-old wanted to go out in pjs, but she hasnt' wanted to since she was a toddler.

mamazee is offline  
#42 of 190 Old 02-23-2011, 05:07 PM
 
mrspineau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 611
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

clearly im the odd one out here, but no I wouldn't allow it.  Also I disagree with those that said no one would bat an eye at a 2 year old in jammies.  one time when we were on a road trip, we had a situation where we had to take our son into a store with footed jammies on, and he was only 1 and we got a ton of weird looks and even a comment.  Even if we are just staying home for the day, the rule is that everyone has to get dressed for the day in our house. 

shulamis likes this.
mrspineau is offline  
#43 of 190 Old 02-23-2011, 05:15 PM
 
shulamis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I understand there are different expectations at different ages. But I don't agree with just giving in at ANY age. And unless it's an emergency situation where you need to leave the house immediately for some reason, I think one should take their time to teach what is right. I see every little "battle" as an opportunity to teach that child. Young or old. It's not about the PJs. The child isn't even battling because of the specific monkey footies. They're battling because they want to assert themselves in some way. Which is a GOOD thing. The situation should be used to allow them to assert themselves,  but in a socially acceptable way. Again, give them a small choice in the matter, clearly directing away from the PJs....

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamazee View Post

Kids naturally want to conform with other kids as they get older.  Really, this is not an issue.  I don't even like the argument "if you don't teach it as x how will they know to do it at y?"  It's completely normal and rational to have different expectations for different ages.  Honestly I wouldnt' even care if my 9-year-old wanted to go out in pjs, but she hasnt' wanted to since she was a toddler.



shulamis is offline  
#44 of 190 Old 02-23-2011, 05:17 PM
 
katroshka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 592
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Everyone has different expectations for these little kinds of things... I think the important part is how the parent deals with whatever decision they make, more than the actual decision.


Mama to 3 awesome girls: DD1 born 2001, DD2 born 2002, DD3 born March 2011

katroshka is offline  
#45 of 190 Old 02-23-2011, 05:17 PM
 
onyxravnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Fairbanks, Alaska
Posts: 2,539
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

not a fight worth having. if they are weather appropriate and all the 'bits' are covered i call it a win! i wouldn't even worry about shoes unless she would be walking outside in snow/rain/mud


transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

 

onyxravnos is offline  
#46 of 190 Old 02-23-2011, 05:18 PM
 
mamazee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: US midwest
Posts: 7,500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Well first, I don't think there's anything wrong with footie pjs on a 2-year-old anywhere.  Second, why can't you give in?  It's the kid's body.  IMO unless it's a serious issue, which footie pjs on a toddler isn't, the kid gets to choose what happens to the kid's body.  And I don't think there's anything socially unacceptable about a 2-year-old in footie pjs anywhere at any time.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shulamis View Post

I understand there are different expectations at different ages. But I don't agree with just giving in at ANY age. And unless it's an emergency situation where you need to leave the house immediately for some reason, I think one should take their time to teach what is right. I see every little "battle" as an opportunity to teach that child. Young or old. It's not about the PJs. The child isn't even battling because of the specific monkey footies. They're battling because they want to assert themselves in some way. Which is a GOOD thing. The situation should be used to allow them to assert themselves,  but in a socially acceptable way. Again, give them a small choice in the matter, clearly directing away from the PJs....


 


mamazee is offline  
#47 of 190 Old 02-23-2011, 05:19 PM
 
sapphire_chan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 27,769
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Would and have. We only own footie pajamas to make it easier to make dd not-naked for getting out of the house. Specifically for mornings when we'd drive dh to work.

 

Without jammies  with jammies

undies --------------jammies

shirt

pants

socks

shoes

 

Since each item on the list was a fight, you see why we bought some footie pajamas.

 

That said, for playing out in the snow, I have told dd that jammies won't work with her boots, she wanted to try, she tried and found they were a PITA, and agreed to change clothes.

sapphire_chan is offline  
#48 of 190 Old 02-23-2011, 05:23 PM
 
sapphire_chan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 27,769
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspineau View Post

clearly im the odd one out here, but no I wouldn't allow it.  Also I disagree with those that said no one would bat an eye at a 2 year old in jammies.  one time when we were on a road trip, we had a situation where we had to take our son into a store with footed jammies on, and he was only 1 and we got a ton of weird looks and even a comment.  Even if we are just staying home for the day, the rule is that everyone has to get dressed for the day in our house. 


Eh, I got more "jammies day?" type comments when I had dd in leggings and a t-shirt--not even pajamas! The only comments I've gotten about her in the footie pajamas are "looks snuggly!" and "you've got fuzzy penguins!"

 

People where you live need to get over themselves.

sapphire_chan is offline  
#49 of 190 Old 02-23-2011, 05:33 PM
 
mrspineau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 611
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I think that it's worth teaching your children to dress appropriately for what they are doing.  As far as it being "their body their decision" type thing, well I'm not sure that my 2year old has the ability to make decisions about proper dress. 

mbhf and Germaya like this.
mrspineau is offline  
#50 of 190 Old 02-23-2011, 05:34 PM
 
sapphire_chan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 27,769
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by shulamis View Post

I understand there are different expectations at different ages. But I don't agree with just giving in at ANY age. And unless it's an emergency situation where you need to leave the house immediately for some reason, I think one should take their time to teach what is right. I see every little "battle" as an opportunity to teach that child. Young or old. It's not about the PJs. The child isn't even battling because of the specific monkey footies. They're battling because they want to assert themselves in some way. Which is a GOOD thing. The situation should be used to allow them to assert themselves,  but in a socially acceptable way. Again, give them a small choice in the matter, clearly directing away from the PJs....


 

Except that PJs on a toddler isn't something that I actually care about, while wearing the jammies is something the toddler DOES care about. My arbitrary pointless whims do not override my child's deeply felt feelings. And yes, there are differences between dd's whims and her intense desires.


As for the "if you let them do it at two they'll be doing it at twenty!!!" idea? Nonsense.

sapphire_chan is offline  
#51 of 190 Old 02-23-2011, 05:44 PM
 
lalemma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 622
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm not interested in getting into a power struggle with my kid over something that insignificant.


Science-loving mama to one little guy (11/09).
lalemma is offline  
#52 of 190 Old 02-23-2011, 05:53 PM
 
MusicianDad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tuponia
Posts: 10,838
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by shulamis View Post

I understand there are different expectations at different ages. But I don't agree with just giving in at ANY age. And unless it's an emergency situation where you need to leave the house immediately for some reason, I think one should take their time to teach what is right. I see every little "battle" as an opportunity to teach that child. Young or old. It's not about the PJs. The child isn't even battling because of the specific monkey footies. They're battling because they want to assert themselves in some way. Which is a GOOD thing. The situation should be used to allow them to assert themselves,  but in a socially acceptable way. Again, give them a small choice in the matter, clearly directing away from the PJs....


 

 

So... We shouldn't allow it because others might not like it? Sorry, but my kids get to pick what they want to wear out of the house and society can go to heck for all I care. By your logic I should steer DS away from dresses because it's not "socially acceptable". Sorry, but my kid's right to be himself is more important than so arbitrary clothing rules the rest of the community wants to impose on him.
 


malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
MusicianDad is offline  
#53 of 190 Old 02-23-2011, 05:55 PM
 
MusicianDad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tuponia
Posts: 10,838
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspineau View Post

clearly im the odd one out here, but no I wouldn't allow it.  Also I disagree with those that said no one would bat an eye at a 2 year old in jammies.  one time when we were on a road trip, we had a situation where we had to take our son into a store with footed jammies on, and he was only 1 and we got a ton of weird looks and even a comment.  Even if we are just staying home for the day, the rule is that everyone has to get dressed for the day in our house. 


What is the purpose of getting dressed if you aren't going anywhere? I am genuinely curious. It's not like anyone is gonna see you in your pj's or anything. And sometimes it's nice to just hang out in them.


malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
MusicianDad is offline  
#54 of 190 Old 02-23-2011, 05:59 PM
 
MusicianDad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tuponia
Posts: 10,838
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspineau View Post

I think that it's worth teaching your children to dress appropriately for what they are doing.  As far as it being "their body their decision" type thing, well I'm not sure that my 2year old has the ability to make decisions about proper dress. 


A 2 year old is appropriately dressed if they are clothed and said clothes stay on. I dunno about your kids, but my son will at some point remove clothing if he doesn't want to be wearing them. So if he wants to leave the house in PJ's I let him, if he wants to leave the house in a dress I let him, if he wants to leave the house wearing one of my t-shirts, a hat with ears and socks for mittens, I let him (though he has to agree to be carried cause the shirt poses a tripping hazard for him). Coats tag along on cold days, but he won't wear one until he gets cold.


malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
MusicianDad is offline  
#55 of 190 Old 02-23-2011, 06:03 PM
 
Agatha_Ann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by shulamis View Post

I understand there are different expectations at different ages. But I don't agree with just giving in at ANY age. And unless it's an emergency situation where you need to leave the house immediately for some reason, I think one should take their time to teach what is right. I see every little "battle" as an opportunity to teach that child. Young or old. It's not about the PJs. The child isn't even battling because of the specific monkey footies. They're battling because they want to assert themselves in some way. Which is a GOOD thing. The situation should be used to allow them to assert themselves,  but in a socially acceptable way. Again, give them a small choice in the matter, clearly directing away from the PJs....


 


Wearing jammies outside of the house is wrong? Seriously?

 

Where do you draw the line? Can an infant wear a sleeper outside the house? What qualifies outside clothes vs inside clothes? I'm a person is going to the gym are they allowed to wear their sweats in the car on the way? What if said person has to stop at the post office on the way, is that allowed?

 

So long as it is weather appropriate, my kids are welcome to express themselves through their clothing. Wedding, church, and funerals- those are the times I can understand clothing for a toddler being an "appropriateness" issue, other than that I can't see how a child could be dressed wrong.

Agatha_Ann is offline  
#56 of 190 Old 02-23-2011, 06:12 PM
 
em123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 304
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

No, I would not. Pajamas are for sleeping, we get dressed before we leave the house.

*bejeweled*, Tamsin and matte like this.

em123 is offline  
#57 of 190 Old 02-23-2011, 06:37 PM
tzs
 
tzs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,624
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

i wouldn't but only because her pajamas are always covered in dog hair. yick.


Reluctant 'Sconie, chassid and mama to sweet toughie Ada Bluma 9/9/09 and loving pittie-mix ("Judge the deed, not the breed!")
tzs is offline  
#58 of 190 Old 02-23-2011, 06:39 PM
 
Mama Mko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Under the Stars
Posts: 1,519
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I don't care at all what my kids wear as long as they're clothed and the clothing is clean. If the pajamas had breakfast all over them, we'd change. If they were clean, I'm cool with it. I wear pajama pants out of the house sometimes and the world hasn't ended. ;)


Live and love with your whole being.
Mama Mko is offline  
#59 of 190 Old 02-23-2011, 07:00 PM
 
craft_media_hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: I'm diggin for fire!
Posts: 1,863
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Yes. I would not make footies in public my hill to die on with a toddler. I see kids at grocery stores all the time in their pajamas--it's cute! No big deal in my book.


Happy and in love with my family!
craft_media_hero is offline  
#60 of 190 Old 02-23-2011, 07:02 PM
 
Chamomile Girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: West of the Sierras East of the Sea
Posts: 2,860
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My kid can wear whatever he wants. Dress codes...ALL dress codes are lame and society should bite me.
Chamomile Girl is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off