Woudl you let your toddler wear footie pajamas to Target? - Page 6 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#151 of 190 Old 03-04-2011, 07:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I didn't read the posts other than the first page and the last page and I have no idea what's happening a few posts above me....

Yes, I would let either of my boys go to the store in footie pajamas. I probably wouldn't even make them wear shoes while walking around inside the store.

Both of my boys have totally rocked the footie pajamas and rain boots look in public. It's definitely not something I'm going to allow myself to stress over.

mama to   broc1.gif DS 6/06 and banana.gif DS 4/08
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#152 of 190 Old 03-04-2011, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marispel View Post

Ladies - I just want to apologize for my post.  I was in a terrible mood and I admit - I'm judgemental.  Gesh.  I do look at others and think the worst instead of thinking good things.  I swear, it's not you...it's me and I'm truly sorry.   Of course if I see you, the mom, walking around Wal-mart with PJs, Slippers and Curlers in your hair...I'm gonna judge, but you're just asking for it and I have my limits

See, I don't see this as apologizing.  Telling parents who are teaching their children to not care about society's stupid rules and to wear what's comfy/cool to them that they're asking for it isn't an apology.  At all.  I'd just leave it at your judgmental and stop blaming it on everyone else.

obstruct livery vehicles

#153 of 190 Old 03-04-2011, 09:36 PM

Nope. PJs are for in the house only.

SAHM to my sweet girl born in fall 2009

#154 of 190 Old 03-04-2011, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey693 View Post

See, I don't see this as apologizing.  Telling parents who are teaching their children to not care about society's stupid rules and to wear what's comfy/cool to them that they're asking for it isn't an apology.  At all.  I'd just leave it at your judgmental and stop blaming it on everyone else.

That... Apologies don't generally have the phrase "your're just asking for it" in them. I maybe wearing curlers and a bathrobe at target, but you are the one responsible for your judgements.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#155 of 190 Old 03-04-2011, 11:59 PM

OP, I was watching some mainstream news on Hulu.com, and here's an ABC Nightline segment on this topic.  Its the 3rd of the 3 segments on this show, so you have to skip toward the end.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/221225/abc-nightline-thu-mar-3-2011?c=

"When the external begins to define the internal, instead of the internal defining the external, one begins living as a mortal rather than as a universal being." ~ unknown
#156 of 190 Old 03-05-2011, 12:30 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

Theoretically. Neither of mine will wear anything but underwear to sleep, but if we owned PJs it would be allowed without a second thought.

That's one of the great perks of being a toddler IMO; you get to do all sorts of stuff that will be socially unacceptable wink1.gif when you grow up!

#157 of 190 Old 03-05-2011, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by number572 View Post

I was watching some mainstream news on Hulu.com, and here's an ABC Nightline segment on this topic.  Its the 3rd of the 3 segments on this show, so you have to skip toward the end.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/221225/abc-nightline-thu-mar-3-2011?c=

Hulu is only available within the United States, just to let you know.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#158 of 190 Old 03-05-2011, 06:31 AM

This is an apology??? I feel sorry the people in your "real" life.... greensad.gif

Quote:

Ladies - I just want to apologize for my post.  I was in a terrible mood and I admit - I'm judgemental.  Gesh.  I do look at others and think the worst instead of thinking good things.  I swear, it's not you...it's me and I'm truly sorry.   Of course if I see you, the mom, walking around Wal-mart with PJs, Slippers and Curlers in your hair...I'm gonna judge, but you're just asking for it and I have my limits

I deleted my post because it was just too harsh and I honestly need to do a better job at not judging.  It's a work in progress...

Pardon me while I puke.gif

#159 of 190 Old 03-05-2011, 06:34 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFNDMom42 View Post

You could be wearing a modest, classy dress and a perfect coif in public, but a muslim would say you are showing your arms, legs, face and hair, so you are inappropriate and even sinful! A good illustration of this is how much of American society finds it inappropriate to show your breast to nurse a child in public, but muslim women do not cover their breasts when nursing in public. It is OK in their religion to show your breasts, but not your face or hair (for women). Seems backwards to us, but it is the norm for them.

The different cultural norms are a valid (and very interesting) part of this discussion. Still I don't want to carry this off any further into religious belief stuff but I have to correct this inaccurate statement -  "It is OK in their religion to show your breasts, but not your face or hair (for women)."

That is not at all accurate. Islam does not say it is "OK" for women to show their breasts. I see many Muslim women from many different countries breastfeed in public they all avoid exposing their breasts except in the company of women. 

matte likes this.

#160 of 190 Old 03-05-2011, 08:15 AM

I've also chosen to take my smaller kids out in pajamas for MY convenience, though admittedly when they were too young to have an opinion.  My kids, all four of them, hate socks and shoes, and will kick them off regardless of the weather.  In the wintertime, it's a LOT easier to put footie pj's on them than it is to keep socks on!!!  And if wanting them to stay warm makes me a bad mom, so be it.  :)

#161 of 190 Old 03-05-2011, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicianDad View Post

Hulu is only available within the United States, just to let you know.

Yes, the OP is from Kansas City, MO, USA

"When the external begins to define the internal, instead of the internal defining the external, one begins living as a mortal rather than as a universal being." ~ unknown
#162 of 190 Old 03-05-2011, 08:54 AM

Quote:

I deleted my post because it was just too harsh and I honestly need to do a better job at not judging.  It's a work in progress...

Aw, c'mon guys...I think she's trying to be funny at the end. It's hard to eat humble pie.
#163 of 190 Old 03-05-2011, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzs View Post

i get it....although this has shaped up to be quite the political pajama thread!

btw....i ran to the car today to get something i had forgotten in my yoga pant pjs and i felt like a scuzbucket...something about going outside in what you've just slept in....

just to add to the original thread.

i love this has gone on 9 pages!

i have a 2y/o and i have taken him out in feeties. DH had outpatient surgery and we had to be there @ 530AM. I'm 20 wks pregnant, and my family lives in another state (so no 5:30am babysitter) so DS went to the hospital in jammies. He's not trying to impress anyone, he's 2 and it's 5:30 at a hospital.

If you're 15 and in your feeties in target... Well... we've all been 15,

I saw a woman at the Drs office yesterday wearing riding pants. I thought that was strange. Usually riding pants smell like horse. I try not to go out in public smelling like a horse. But maybe she was on her way into the barn and just had to stop by the Drs office. Who knows. She didn't sit next to me, so I didn't have the opportunity to smell if she smelled like horse or not :)

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#164 of 190 Old 03-05-2011, 11:44 AM

Quote:

Yes, the OP is from Kansas City, MO, USA

But not everyone in this thread is. Some of us aren't even in the US and can't watch the video you linked too.

#165 of 190 Old 03-05-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:

But not everyone in this thread is. Some of us aren't even in the US and can't watch the video you linked too.

I was answering the OP since she lives in the US and was asking about a societal/cultural issue here in the USA, the acceptance or fashion may not be the same in other parts of the world.  Plus I read that Target stores aren't international yet, and Canada specifically should see it's first Target stores open (100-150 stores projected) in the year 2013 earliest.  I understand your curiosity though, I've tried to click on people's links before only to be let down if their link doesn't work for me.  I certainly wasn't trying to exclude, I'm not an intentional meanie!  Often in threads, if they get too long , I'll address the OP only, and always thought that it was acceptable to do.

If you'd like to know what was in the vid... it was basically saying that fashion has begun to include pajamas for the work place and adult pajamas, adult footie pajamas, etc.  The reporter used the phrase "lazy" but also acknowledged that there is a high number of sales for "pajama jeans" etc., meant for being worn in public and to work.  If you google the topic, maybe you can find out how people, in whichever country you're wondering about, view the acceptance of wearing pajamas in public. 

And now you know that Canada should be getting some Target stores within a few years.  You could take a toddler in their pajamas and report back to this thread! 

#166 of 190 Old 03-05-2011, 03:29 PM

Quote:

I was answering the OP since she lives in the US and was asking about a societal/cultural issue here in the USA, the acceptance or fashion may not be the same in other parts of the world.  Plus I read that Target stores aren't international yet, and Canada specifically should see it's first Target stores open (100-150 stores projected) in the year 2013 earliest.  I understand your curiosity though, I've tried to click on people's links before only to be let down if their link doesn't work for me.  I certainly wasn't trying to exclude, I'm not an intentional meanie!  Often in threads, if they get too long , I'll address the OP only, and always thought that it was acceptable to do.

I know you weren't trying to be mean. I was pointing out that hulu only works inside the US because I know that lots of people don't realize that. Kind of like people don't realize you're specifically addressing the OP if it's not mentioned in the post. I'm really not trying to pick on you, it was just unclear and the way the post was worded made it seem like you were addressing everyone.

#167 of 190 Old 03-05-2011, 04:16 PM

Ok, added "OP" to my link post, didn't mean to confuse anyone.

Quote:

I know you weren't trying to be mean. I was pointing out that hulu only works inside the US because I know that lots of people don't realize that. Kind of like people don't realize you're specifically addressing the OP if it's not mentioned in the post. I'm really not trying to pick on you, it was just unclear and the way the post was worded made it seem like you were addressing everyone.

#168 of 190 Old 03-05-2011, 05:44 PM

I find great humor in this thread.

I'd totally let my kid wear pjs to the store if it meant that much to her.  We don't have any footies for her anymore but I really just don't care what she wears out as long as it doesn't have her last meal all over it and it is warm enough.

and if she did wear her pjs all day... She'd wear different ones to bed.  I don't understand the assumption that wearing pjs all day means you don't change for bed... do other people only have one set of pjs?  My kiddo gets changed for bed every day no matter what she is wearing.  part of her routine.  We change diapers and get into pjs and then read stories.  She rarely keeps the pjs from the night before on all day either because she usually ends up spilling something on them or I've taken them off BEFORE she spills and put her in clean clothes.

#169 of 190 Old 03-05-2011, 05:56 PM
Banned

I thought whether you let your kids run around in jammies or not was a taste thing - turns out it's a total indication of if you are a good or bad parent.  Who knew?

#170 of 190 Old 03-05-2011, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsFortune View Post

I thought whether you let your kids run around in jammies or not was a taste thing - turns out it's a total indication of if you are a good or bad parent.  Who knew?

Haha, yeah, & I also find myself wondering if eating breakfast for dinner is equally offensive?!

#171 of 190 Old 03-05-2011, 06:54 PM

No, that's a fun treat.. it's when you eat DINNER for breakfast that is the problem

(true story, my stepdad used to freak out about when I'd eat leftovers for breakfast because it wasn't a 'real' breakfast... although sometimes it was more healthy and balanced than his bowl of cereal... hehe)

Quote:

Haha, yeah, & I also find myself wondering if eating breakfast for dinner is equally offensive?!

#172 of 190 Old 03-05-2011, 07:20 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

If a two year old wearing footies in Target even got my attention I would think something along the lines of, 'Oh, there's a kid in footies.' I can instantly think of about a million reasons that might happen:

child refused to change

clean clothes were spilled on, puked on, peed on, Sharpied on moments before leaving and footies were closest to hand

mom was busy and forgot child was wearing footies till she was already in Target (I myself arrived in a full face of makeup and PJs once when my daughter was a newborn.  True story)

mom picked up child from Nana's and Nana had allowed a PJ day, but  Mom need bread, toilet paper, or box o' wine with a fierce desperation even footies could not contain

My daughter has never fought me on clothes so this is something I haven't encountered. I just can't imagine choosing to fight about it if it just happened one day. Seeing another child in footies would not lead me to believe I knew anything about her parents.  Good grief, life with a two year old is WILD.  Anything can happen.  I see a child dressed like a drag in church and I think..probably a reasonable explanation.

loraxc likes this.
#173 of 190 Old 03-05-2011, 07:27 PM

if wearing pjs to target is unacceptable, my kids are screwed.  dd1 once ate lunch at the mall food court covered in stickers that she'd adorned herself with (like, 12 on her face and another dozen up and down her arms); she thought she was beautiful and proud of her artwork.  i figured anyone with a 2 year old would understand and anyone else could bite me. 

and she's never done it since, of her own volition!

wife to dh, mama to dd1   june 2007, dd2 march 2009 and dd3 april 2011
#174 of 190 Old 03-06-2011, 08:51 AM

Isnt that where stickers are SUPPOSED to go?

Quote:

Originally Posted by galincognito View Post

dd1 once ate lunch at the mall food court covered in stickers that she'd adorned herself with (like, 12 on her face and another dozen up and down her arms); she thought she was beautiful and proud of her artwork.  i figured anyone with a 2 year old would understand and anyone else could bite me. 

#175 of 190 Old 03-06-2011, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraMort View Post

Isnt that where stickers are SUPPOSED to go?

According to DS stickers go on unsuspecting, sleeping family members. That's how I ended up with a kitten stuck to my forehead without knowing about it until I saw my reflection in a shop window.

#176 of 190 Old 03-06-2011, 05:29 PM

Hell, I'D wear footie pajamas to Target.

sleepytime.gif I got tired of my signature, but I still love my children and husband and miss my little brotherkid.gif

#177 of 190 Old 03-07-2011, 06:41 AM

Oh my, we are living on the edge...

Not only are my kids still in their pajamas, but we ate pancakes for dinner last night and every one of us is wearing the stickers off our breakfast bananas on various body parts.dizzy.gif

mama to   broc1.gif DS 6/06 and banana.gif DS 4/08
#178 of 190 Old 03-07-2011, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenStream View Post

Not only are my kids still in their pajamas, but we ate pancakes for dinner last night and every one of us is wearing the stickers off our breakfast bananas on various body parts.dizzy.gif

I'm not sure we can allow you around here anymore than.  That's way too many parental violations.  :)

Speaking of bananas...my 2-year-old (who decided that she didn't want to wear jammies today!) pronounces banana as "my-yam".  ???  It has taken me the longest time to figure out what in the world she was saying!!!

Elizabeth - Doing life with Scott partners.gif

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png
adoptionheart-1.gif  Follow our journey  mdcblog5.gif

#179 of 190 Old 03-07-2011, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenStream View Post

That's it. You're banned! ROTFLMAO.gif

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#180 of 190 Old 03-08-2011, 05:52 PM

Quote:
if its all the same and pj's are clothes too then why not just sleep in your clothes that you wore all day?

lol.gif

My DD does exactly this. She doesn't like pajamas. I find this totally bizarre, but whatever. Sleep in your jeans. I have bigger things to worry about.

Oddly, I don't think either child has ever wanted to leave the house in PJs. If they did, I would try to talk them out of it, but not to the point of a knock-down screaming fit. Hell to the no.

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page