Woudl you let your toddler wear footie pajamas to Target? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-23-2011, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

This was our battle today.  I wanted her to get dressed; she didn't want to take off her monkey footie pajamas.  Would you pick this battle, or let your child wear jammies to Target?

Elizabeth - Doing life with Scott partners.gif

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png
adoptionheart-1.gif  Follow our journey  mdcblog5.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2011, 09:39 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Well, as long as clothes are on (and I would absolutely count footies) I wouldn't pick the battle.  If she walks around the store though, I would require shoes over the footies. 

Old 02-23-2011, 09:41 AM

while I wouldn't have a problem with my kid wearing the jammies, I would want shoes and socks on her, which would be difficult with footies. 

Old 02-23-2011, 09:48 AM

Yup, I would. In fact I once wore my jammies to the grocer store (w/ a coat over them) hide.gif

Frankly I have never understood the battle many parents have over clothes (no judgement intended OP, honest!!). I realized early on that was not a fight worth fighting for *me*.

My son (now 9) has worn his halloween costume to preschool in April.  He has worn the same superman jammies for literally DAYS on end. He has gone out on a winters day without a coat and has insisted on wearing his coat inside one of the hottest movie theaters on the planet. He has worn flip flops in the snow (though that lasted about 5 minutes, LOL!)

Today is was supposed to be "warm" which here means low 40's so off to school he went in nylon running pants, a short sleeve tee and crocs.Thankfully he packed his coat in his back pack "just in case".

Plus I see your daughter is 2!  No one is going to blink am eye at a 2 year old in jammies!  Me on the other hand would have garnered some looks!

Pardon me while I puke.gif

Old 02-23-2011, 09:57 AM

I'd be fine with footie pjs in the store for a toddler.  With shoes of some kind on  if they were going to be walking at all.

My husband would probably insist on "actual" clothes if he was in that position, though.  I don't entirely get it, but hey.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:57 AM

Oh heck yes. Jammies in public are not a safety issue and not worth my energy ith a battle.

If you really want her to change, try  letting her pick out her clothing. Or give her some grown up lip gloss or lotion if she gets dressed.

I was off to save the world, but I got distracted by something shiny.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:02 AM

Yes, I would. My 8 year old went through a stage where he wore his batman costume everywhere. It was cute. As long as they're dressed, I don't think it matters.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:42 AM

Yes, but she would be in a cart/stroller.   I would explain that we wear shoes when we walk in stores.  I MIGHT bring her shoes along, in case she decided to walk, especially if it was a longer trip.  And my Target trips inevitably are.  bag.gif

Old 02-23-2011, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

No issues here about it. My only requirement would be shoes over them or she gets to ride the entire time. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justKate View Post

Yes, but she would be in a cart/stroller.   I would explain that we wear shoes when we walk in stores.  I MIGHT bring her shoes along, in case she decided to walk, especially if it was a longer trip.  And my Target trips inevitably are.  bag.gif

This exactly. Who cares what they wear as long as they are warm enough and know for sure the rules to not wearing shoes.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:17 AM

Ditto this. So far we haven't really had any clothing issues with DS1, except for wanting to take his shoes/socks off all the time. I just explain to him that he can't walk by himself if he doesn't wear them and that usually does it. But yeah, footie pj's would be no problem for me, not at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justKate View Post

K + J = DS Evan 1/26/09 and happily welcoming DS Colin, our 9lb 5oz vbac.gif New Year's Day baby, 1/1/11!
Old 02-23-2011, 11:24 AM

Not a battle I would fight. And really, if I had monkey footie pajamas, I wouldn't want to take them off either!

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
Old 02-23-2011, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyBearsMom View Post

Yup, I would. In fact I once wore my jammies to the grocer store (w/ a coat over them) hide.gif

Frankly I have never understood the battle many parents have over clothes (no judgement intended OP, honest!!). I realized early on that was not a fight worth fighting for *me*.

My son (now 9) has worn his halloween costume to preschool in April.  He has worn the same superman jammies for literally DAYS on end. He has gone out on a winters day without a coat and has insisted on wearing his coat inside one of the hottest movie theaters on the planet. He has worn flip flops in the snow (though that lasted about 5 minutes, LOL!)

Today is was supposed to be "warm" which here means low 40's so off to school he went in nylon running pants, a short sleeve tee and crocs.Thankfully he packed his coat in his back pack "just in case".

Plus I see your daughter is 2!  No one is going to blink am eye at a 2 year old in jammies!  Me on the other hand would have garnered some looks!

This is my DD.  She wears the same outfit for days (day and night).  She is very particular about what she wears and I usually just let her pick out her own clothes.  That often means wearing several random shirts, some pants, maybe a skirt, and her panties on top of it all because she likes them so much and wants to see them.  love.gif  I'm just glad we're past the nudist stage.

I ended up leaving her clothes on the couch while I went upstairs to get the baby dressed.  When I came back down she was putting them on herself so it ended up being a non-issue.  I'm sure it will happen again though!

Elizabeth - Doing life with Scott partners.gif

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png
adoptionheart-1.gif  Follow our journey  mdcblog5.gif

Old 02-23-2011, 01:51 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

My daughter often wants to wear her pajamas for the day.  And so she does.  I don't have a problem with it.  With the footie jammies, I'd wants her to wear boots or something on her feet, or else she'd have to stay in the shopping cart the whole time. 

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
Old 02-23-2011, 02:17 PM

I'd absolutely allow it, but would make wearing shoes or boots a condition.

My kids have gone to the store and preschool in pjs, halloween costumes, clothes that are completely inappropriate for the weather, etc. It really isn't worth fighting over something that a) won't hurt them and b) they'll probably decide on their own that they didn't make the best choice. When my kids were still toddlers, I'd pack backup clothing so they could change their mind while we were out. Now that they are older, I'll suggest that they pack different clothes, so they can change if they change their mind. It is amazing how fast a child who insists they want to go barefoot in winter will change their own mind if you don't make a big deal about it!

Old 02-23-2011, 02:23 PM

I would!  I have a small streak of germaphobe-iness, so I'd probably worry about the germs on the feeties, but I'd get over that too.

Old 02-23-2011, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicianDad View Post

Not a battle I would fight. And really, if I had monkey footie pajamas, I wouldn't want to take them off either!

Really!  I saw sock monkey footie jammies in target over the winter, and I kinda wanted them.  

Old 02-23-2011, 02:57 PM

ha ha, my sister lets her son go out in public with just underwear and a t shirt on and he's 3 1/2. This kid literally HATES pants. He's also very particular about his clothes. Has to wear certain shirts with certain pants and shoes, etc She thinks he may have some very mild sensory issues though.  Nothing to worry about, just makes him a difficult kid to dress. She lets it go and her husband is cool about it too. They even let him wear a skirt out in public(out of my comfort zone, but to each his own). If it were me, DH would probably make a big deal about wearing jammies out, etc. but then again he's not the one at home with the kid all day, so I get why. He doesn't see the constant struggle of dealing with dressing a 2 year old, so I just let it slide. If it were me, no I wouldn't care. DS has a pair of shoes that are slip on and a little big on him, so they fit over footed jammies. Maybe get her a pair of shoes that are a little bigger and let her go out!

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

Old 02-23-2011, 03:07 PM

What's wrong with footed PJs on a toddler?

Proud *single* mom to 3 amazing kiddos
Old 02-23-2011, 03:15 PM

I have no issues with taking a toddler to the store in pj's; I would just make them ride in the cart. 

:
Old 02-23-2011, 03:19 PM

I def. agree with all the PP. that say this is not a battle to pick. My 3 yo rarely changed out of his jammies at. all. during the day, including trips. Obviously he wants to be comfortable, and I could care less what he looks like. If he doesn't wear shoes, though, no walking, he has to ride in the cart.

None of the ideas expressed above are actually mine. They are told to me by Luthor and Ferdinand, the five inch tall space aliens who live under my desk. In return for these ideas, I have given them permission to eat any dust bunnies they may find under there.shine.gif

Old 02-23-2011, 03:49 PM

Team Jammies. I gave up a long time ago, lol. 

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

Old 02-23-2011, 03:56 PM

Of course.  But then, I'm someone who feels okay wearing yoga pants to the grocery store.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:56 PM

My 4 year old has worn pjs (cotton 2-piece type) to trader joe's many afternoons after his nap.  I agree, not worth fighting about.  When he's done it, he usually gets a lot of attention from the workers while he's pushing his little cart walking around in pjs!  He actually hasn't done this too recently, used to do it more often.  If you can get your shopping done, who cares what they're wearing-as long as they're warm enough, like others have said. 

Old 02-23-2011, 03:58 PM

I wouldn't make a big deal out of it with my daughter.  As long as it was safely weather-appropriate and she had shoes, I'd let her wear the PJs.  I might mention that a lot of people think wearing PJs to Target looks silly, but if she doesn't care, I don't care.

SAHM to Lucy energy.gif, born 4/26/2009. Etsy shop owner. sewmachine.gif  Lover of internet memes. geek.gif  Current and future unschooler.

Old 02-23-2011, 04:01 PM

Can I ask why all of you said as long as she wore shoes? My toddler barely ever wears shoes...Just if she's walking around outside, and even then she still doesn't as long as the ground is ok...She's much more happier wearing just something on her feet like footie jammies or just socks. Is this a danger or germ thing?

Old 02-23-2011, 04:01 PM

i would not let my toddler wear pajamas to a store, but i wouldn't think badly of someone who did. 

Mama to E (12/07) and M (01/11). homebirth.jpg
Old 02-23-2011, 04:06 PM

I probably wouldn't care, but if you had already decided to tell her firmly that she needed to change then I think it's important to stick to it. I think it's usually a bad idea to give in once a kid starts arguing about it-- especially with younger kids not yet capable of understanding why a parent might reasonably change her mind (that it's not because throwing a fit works).

On the other hand, there are many places it would not be appropriate to wear jammies to, so you will want to think about making it clear why jammies in Target are ok, since there will probably be other times when this comes up that you will really not be ok with it.

Mama to 3 awesome girls: DD1 born 2001, DD2 born 2002, DD3 born March 2011

Old 02-23-2011, 04:10 PM

I wouldn't fight over it.  I would put boots on over the footies and a coat/jacket and go.  No biggie.  In our house in the past, it's been treat to go out with jammies on... when there was still a Blockbuster in town, we would bathe them, put on jammies, and run out to Blockbuster in crocs and jammies (them, not us) and maybe in to Jewel for some ice cream or something.  Fun times!  :)

Whatever you decided is just fine, momma.  I would depend on the weather, etc.   

Mom to two beautiful boys, now in school to be a therapist and help other women with PPD.  

Old 02-23-2011, 04:11 PM

My 2yo wore jammies to the grocery store just the other day after a similar battle. Not one worth fighting here!

User Tag List