Fun birthday presents for a 2yo? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 02-25-2011, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Our DD2 is turning two in a week.  She's our second daughter and is not in need of anything. We have tons of hand-me-down clothes and toys from her big sister and she's really set on that stuff.

The grandparents are asking about gift ideas and I'd like to suggest some fun, but not too pricey, gifts.  Our house is small, but we have a decent sized yard...

Anyway, I'm just looking to be inspired! What are your 2yos especially into these days?

Pregnant and/or Breastfeeding since 2005
Mama to two girls: 5/06 and 3/09
#2 of 10 Old 02-25-2011, 01:42 PM

What about a personalized name puzzle? Or craft supplies? Things like stickers, fingerpaints, and Play-Doh are all big hits here.

Books?

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
#3 of 10 Old 02-25-2011, 03:22 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We are in a similar position. Some things that were fun for us were a few duplo pieces, a new train that we named her name (everything in the house is named older brother name), some fancy haba blocks, a new doll, a case of play dough, we planned a few special activities with just her and one of the parents, etc.

#4 of 10 Old 02-25-2011, 04:41 PM

Bubble Machine?

Cassie, mom to Alex(4/7/05), Aidan(7/12/07), and Andrew(8/18/08)

#5 of 10 Old 02-27-2011, 09:22 AM

The game "Elefun" was a huge hit for us! $20 at Target! It's an active game! Also a friend of mine has a microphone with a stand, the kids love it! They can sing and put on little shows! Not sure of the cost though.
#6 of 10 Old 02-27-2011, 11:56 AM

Experience gifts like museum memberships are great for small houses. Special out ting with someone is a nice idea too. I also like the books, playdough, art supplies, stickers etc. My son (my first child) got a Green Toys tea set and dump truck for his second. His favorite present, PB & J cookies from a friend.

Mama to Monkey (Jan '09), Bee (May '11), and Cat (August, '13)

#7 of 10 Old 03-01-2011, 05:35 PM

We're planning to get our son a Skuut bike for his bday.  It's $68 on amazon right now  and target has a $50 version.  There are also a lot of M&D toys that are in the 2+ age range. 

Homebirthing mama of 2
#8 of 10 Old 03-03-2011, 07:41 PM

I second LeighPF, as I have a small house and hope to receive NO toys (even books!) for my son's b-day next month.  We don't need ANYTHING, but things like music classes, memberships to museums, bowling passes, special outings to local factories (doughnut, ice cream, etc) would be ideal from the grandparents!!  

If you want something to "fill the moment" of opening actual presents, go with consumables like art/craft supplies, bubbles, etc.

Married: 02/04   -   SAHM to Son: April '09   -    Pregnant: Due April '12

#9 of 10 Old 03-09-2011, 08:01 AM

Our daughter just turned 2. She loves being outside. The weather is just starting to turn a little nicer in the Northeast, but even in mid-winter she loves playing with her "shovel, rake and pail" set in the yard. It sounds so simple, but it honestly entertains her for awhile. She picks up sticks, rocks, etc. It's just her size. You can store it your basement/garage/outside & it doesn't take up room in the house.

#10 of 10 Old 03-09-2011, 06:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Ds' favourite gift at his 2nd birthday was a wagon. It's a really nice one (Lee Valley) that the wheels can be removed & traded for skis. Very practical & he LOVES it.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page