Setback in Potty Training :( Advice please - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-03-2011, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We first started "trying" the potty when DD was 14 months.  She (or maybe I) got lucky a couple times, but she just didn't really "get" it, so I put it in the hall closet to take a break for a while.  Around 15 months we took it out again, and everything was going much better.  It started with her being dry after a nap, so I would take her in to the potty and she would pee...get lots of praise and an m&m.  By 16 months we would get 4-5 small pees on the potty each day but no poops. 

Well, today after reading a bunch about bare bums, I decided to let her play in the kitchen with no diaper.  After about 10 min we went in and she peed A LOT!  I was thinking this is what I have been missing the whole time.  So later in the day we tried it again, but she peed on the floor....and LOVED IT :(  I put her on the potty and she threw a fit until she stood up and pushed really hard to pee AGAIN on the floor....and yes, then AGAIN!

I am worried that now she loves peeing on the floor, is there anything I can do to get her as excited about going on the potty....or maybe it's time for another break???

cd.gif  love.gif(DD1 Oct 2009),  angel1.gif (2011) ,  twins.gif (DD2 and DD3 June 2012)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 03-03-2011, 01:30 PM

I don't really have any advice, but my DD went through a similar phase, where she just wanted to pee standing up. I kept the potty nearby, and a stack of prefolds at the ready and just let her pee how she wanted to without making a fuss.  As she was peeing I'd calmly tell her "wee wee goes in the potty". After a while of me thinking it would always be this way, she started using the potty. But before then, we had an interim phase of her asking for the potty, sitting on it, and then standing at the last second to pee (sigh). We went through a lot of socks.

#3 of 6 Old 03-03-2011, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks mama!  Even just hearing that I am not "alone" on this one helps.  So true about the socks :)  and I like the idea of having the prefolds ready for the accidents!

cd.gif  love.gif(DD1 Oct 2009),  angel1.gif (2011) ,  twins.gif (DD2 and DD3 June 2012)

#4 of 6 Old 03-04-2011, 07:24 AM

I don't have much advice either except what the pp said. However even if you choose to take a break with the PLing I would still keep the potty out and available. We had a potty available for ds from about 16 moths on, even though there was no 'active' PLing until about 18-20 months. He would still occasionally sit on it and we'd talk about what the potty was for. In our house we kept it in a place where it was alway available to him without me helping him to it......lots of naked time too.

#5 of 6 Old 03-04-2011, 07:38 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

At that age, DS was totally fine with peeing on the floor, because after all it wasn't on him and it was fun to watch.  It's a mess, but I do think she could be learning from it.  Like learning that she feels a sensation to pee and then Oh Look!  the pee came out!   That's an important thing to learn too.  I started putting undies and pants on DS and then he didn't like it so much because he was wet and the pee ran down his leg.  I also started saying "uh oh, uh oh!  You're peeing on the floor!  Hurry get to the potty!  Pee goes in the potty, not on the floor"  Then we'd go potty and come back to clean up.  He didn't really care much about making a mess on the floor until recently at 22 months.  In my experience, potty training goes in phases, and this is just one of them.   It's a process - she's learning about her body and you can turn it into a teachable moment. 

Life is strange and wonderful.  Me read.gif, DP lady.gif, DS (3/09) blahblah.gif , 3 dog2.gif  and 4 cat.gif

#6 of 6 Old 03-04-2011, 08:15 AM

Yep, I would put some pants on her like the PP said. Then it isn't as fun to watch and the sensation is much more noticeable and less desirable.

Michele married to Dh since Dec 2000 and happily sharing a home with 3 kitties, 1 doggy, DS R born 8/25/09 into the arms of his mama, and DS E born 2/25/2012

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page