Do you leave room doors open? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 03-05-2011, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm curious if any of you leave room door's open, and around what age you would consider it safe to leave them open? It's a silly question, I know...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 30 Old 03-05-2011, 01:34 PM

Well, it wouldn't matter with my toddler, she learned how to open doors within a few weeks of being tall enough to reach the knobs.

We close her bedroom door when we put her to bed, mostly so that in the morning, we know when she comes out.

#3 of 30 Old 03-05-2011, 02:47 PM

It depends on my mood. Sometimes I just want to know DS is within eyesight/earshot so I keep the doors closed. Other times, I have more energy to check on him frequently, or DH & I are both home in different rooms or whatever, so we leave the doors open. I never really thought of it as 'dangerous' to leave them open, more just inconvenient... We do keep the second floor gated off (because it's under construction & I'd rather not have DS playing with a hacksaw or falling through the floorboards when I turn my back... lol.gif) It probably depends on the layout of your house as well... my main floor is small & only has bedroom-living room-kitchen-bathroom all off of the dining room/entry so I can see/hear him most of the time whether the doors are open or closed. I would think if I had hallways with various rooms off them, I might want to close some of them off just so I'd always know which rooms he could possibly be in...

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#4 of 30 Old 03-05-2011, 02:49 PM

I leave doors open because my son is not tall enough to do it without getting on a step. We live in a small apartment, and I see his mobility as a positive thing. The front door stays locked at all times, however.

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
#5 of 30 Old 03-05-2011, 08:07 PM
tzs

they're open but really the only doors we could shut are the bedrooms on the 2nd floor and she can go in and out of there as much as she wants. those rooms are actually the best places for her to be as far as entertaining herself without making huge messes so unfortunately she's rarely in them. i am a big proponant of not locking things up and rather being really vigilant and consistant about teaching limits (although i realize with some kids and some situations that's more difficult than i have it) however, i have taken to closing the upstairs bathroom door because playing in the toilet has progressed to drinking from the toilet and i don't always have the energy to keep running up and down the stairs 7 months preggos.

Reluctant 'Sconie, chassid and mama to sweet toughie Ada Bluma 9/9/09 and loving pittie-mix ("Judge the deed, not the breed!")
#6 of 30 Old 03-05-2011, 08:23 PM

We haven't opened or closed doors on account of a toddler. Doors that are normally closed are closed (ie linen closet, coat closet, etc). Doors that are normally open are open (bathroom, bedrooms).

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#7 of 30 Old 03-05-2011, 08:23 PM

Totally not a silly question!  Here, some doors stay open and some are closed.  

#8 of 30 Old 03-05-2011, 08:36 PM

We live in an old house and none of the doors close without slamming them shut due to sagging, so all of our doors are always open.

Mom to Morgan 4-3-06 and announcing Baby Kelsey 4-11-10
#9 of 30 Old 03-05-2011, 08:37 PM

no doors closed here unless kiddo is getting into something (like spilling water all over my bathroom because she figured out how to reach the faucet and fill her potty with water... ) but the spare room IS gated off.  The litter box is in there so the door can't be closed but kitty can still get around the gate.

#10 of 30 Old 03-05-2011, 08:39 PM

Now that DD is 2.5yo most doors are open.  We do close them all whenever we go out because of the dogs (they love bathroom garbage more than anything - bleurg!!) so sometimes they are still closed after we get home.  DD is still a bit too short to open most of the knobs, but happily drags a stool around with her break in anywhere she wants to go.

When she was younger, we closed off as much as we could just for sanity purposes.  My house is well childproofed (used to run a home daycare) so there wasn't a lot of danger, but having to clean up all of my tupperware, or re-roll a roll of toilet paper, or put all of my underwear back in the drawer 100 times a day isn't my idea of a good time. 

When I had my daycare this place was like Fort Knox.  Bedroom doors kept closed, bathroom doors closed with childproof things on the doorknobs (a licensing regulation) and I kept my kitchen babygated.  Again this was mainly for sanity -I didn't want a pack of preschoolers roaming all over my house.

Wife to DH (06/10) and Mummy to DD (07/08).

#11 of 30 Old 03-06-2011, 08:22 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookAMH View Post

We haven't opened or closed doors on account of a toddler. Doors that are normally closed are closed (ie linen closet, coat closet, etc). Doors that are normally open are open (bathroom, bedrooms).

Same for our house. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#12 of 30 Old 03-06-2011, 09:02 AM

I started closing the bathroom door when ds became very fond of splashing in the toilet water and playing with the toilet paper and putting his toothbrush in the diaper pail.  It's just easier to me than having the tp up where he (and consequently my 4yo who needs it) can't reach it, etc.

I sometimes close the bedroom doors just because he is constantly turning on the humidifiers and playing with dd's cd player (which is resulting in seriously scratched cds).  They are often open, though.

I have a baby gate up in front of my closed laundry room door because it is very cramped and half-way remodeled, so there is currently yucky stuff on low shelves.  I don't like tripping over ds while I'm trying to do laundry.

Apart from the laundry room, none of it is for safety, though.  Ds is 18 months, and I am not concerned about him getting hurt in any of the rooms in our house.  There is always an adult around to keep an eye/ear on him, and there's not much he can get into that's truly dangerous.

#13 of 30 Old 03-06-2011, 09:29 AM

Depends on the door.  Since I have a 4 year old that can open any door except the one that we lock it doesn't really matter.  That being said, I try to keep bathroom doors closed since my 2 year old enjoys unrolling toilet paper and flushing the whole roll in the toilet.  Other then that I tend to leave doors open, since she is too short to reach the door knob and open the door if she needs too.

Sarah nak.gif married to DH Dan (August 2001) dh_malesling.GIF and Mommy to DS Desmond (April 2007) pinktongue.gif, DD Eloise (March 2009) hearts.gif and Sullivan (March 29, 2011) babyboy.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.giflactivist.gifcd.giffamilybed2.gif
#14 of 30 Old 03-07-2011, 09:06 AM

For me it depends on the layout of the house. Our house when ds 1 was a toddler was a 1 story and basement (but basement was closed off). I left his door open so he could come out when he woke up. He slept on a mattress on the floor from the time he was crawling. We kept our house pretty child proofed though so there isn't much he could get into, except for the month or two he was enamored (sp?) with the toilet.

In the house we are currently in I shut the bedroom door for ds 2. We're in a two story with all bedrooms upstairs. We have a baby gate at the top of the stairs but I still have visions of forgetting to shut it. So I just shut the bedroom door. He sleeps in PnP for naps though and couldn't get out, but he sleeps in our bed at night so I usually shut it in the morning after I leave the room.

#15 of 30 Old 03-07-2011, 12:31 PM

I live in a ranch-style bungalow. The living areas are open concept, so no doors to close. I do close the door to the mudroom while DS is crawling because the cat litter gets tracked around in there. And I close the hallway door so that DS can't get down the hall to the bathroom/bedrooms. He's currently hell-bent on killing himself, and rather than closing the door to DD's room and the bathroom and the main bedroom where our antique telescope is, it's easier to close the door (we have lever handles and he can almost reach them so this security is short-lived!).

Perdita - newly SAHM to DD July/05 & DS Feb/10 joy.gif
#16 of 30 Old 03-07-2011, 12:41 PM

We've left them open since DS started sleeping in a bed.  So around 27 months.  Sometimes he asks to have it closed, but usually not.  Our house is a tiny ranch and there's not many places for him to go...not to mention he's been opening doorknobs for a long time now.

Mama to three

#17 of 30 Old 03-07-2011, 01:04 PM

I keep our upstairs BR door closed and the upstairs bathroom door closed.  I keep my son's BR door open, even while he's sleeping.  Basically we live on a 2 floor townhouse.  My almost 2 yr old son is allowed to go play in his room upstairs, so I close our door and the bathroom door so he can't get into anything in there.  He can't open the doors yet. 

Vegetarian broc1.gifmother to wave.gif(3/09) peace.gif  (11/10) and belly.gif(4/13)

#18 of 30 Old 03-07-2011, 01:46 PM

Quote:

This is our house as well. we used to keep our daughters bedroom door closed at night but now she likes it open. She def doesn't sleep as well but she is entering into the "i am afraid of the dark " stage

Mom to a beautiful little girl ~age 4~ and adorable little boy ~age 3~ and wife to my main squeeze luxlove.gif
Two babes in heaven MC 6/23/10 at 8 weeks, MC 2/24/11 at 8 weeks, MC 3/2012 at 8 weeks ~ Praying for a rainbow1284.gif baby ~

#19 of 30 Old 03-08-2011, 05:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

we have a small house (900SQFT) but I usually keep the doors open. It seems like every time I close a door, the cat is in that room, and of course she waits until someone is asleep, or I am covered in something gross to claw at the carpet that she wants out...

So the cat dictates door situation!

Unless it's really cold. Our bedroom, and the "kids room" get really cold for no reason, so we keep them closed to save heat.

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#20 of 30 Old 03-09-2011, 05:15 AM

Quote:

Same for us!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#21 of 30 Old 03-09-2011, 05:27 AM

We try to keep the bathroom doors closed. DS likes to play in the toilet, flush it, unroll paper, get in the cabinets, play with the stuff in our shower . . .and he does try to crawl into the bathtub. Otherwise, the doors are open (granted, the only other doors are our bedroom door and his)

Now, when we start working on potty learning, I will have to keep the bathroom doors open. but he is only 15 months now. We will start working on that in a month or so (just introducing the potty)

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#22 of 30 Old 03-09-2011, 06:23 AM

Our children have the run of the house, even the toddler.  We don't really have unsafe things in the house (we keep chemicals in the garage and all tools and stuff are out there.  The worst we have in the house is cooking knives, which are on the counter in plain view, and she doesn't touch those).  We don't have a reason to close doors unless someone's in a room and wants privacy.  

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#23 of 30 Old 03-09-2011, 06:48 AM

I am surprised by the responses!  DS just turned 17 months and we close all the doors.  (Bathroom, Bedroom, Office)  We live in an apartment.  Sometimes we leave our bedroom opened, since it's his room too - but it's all the way down a long hallway that turns so I follow him when he goes back there.   The bed is on the floor, but there is a sliding door with curtains he likes to attempt to hang from...nut.gif and the laundry nook is off the bedroom, and I don't feel like it is safe. I feel like I still need to be with him...he tries to climb everything right now...the furniture, the tub, toilet etc.  Maybe he is just younger than the other toddlers in this thread?  I was just saying to DH "when we turn the office into DSs bedroom, it's going to freak me out.  He has never been all alone in a room, except for when he plays in his crib!--I mean I'm even with him in bed!  "

#24 of 30 Old 03-09-2011, 07:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akind1 View Post

We try to keep the bathroom doors closed. DS likes to play in the toilet, flush it, unroll paper, get in the cabinets, play with the stuff in our shower . . .and he does try to crawl into the bathtub. Otherwise, the doors are open (granted, the only other doors are our bedroom door and his)

Now, when we start working on potty learning, I will have to keep the bathroom doors open. but he is only 15 months now. We will start working on that in a month or so (just introducing the potty)

hehe, a little OT, I keep hangers on the rod in the bathroom to string covers up to dry, anyway, one had fallen into the bathtub, and DS decided he wanted it. DH was laying in bed watching this, I was putting diapers away, and when DS went to reach his feeties slipped leaving him balanced on his belly with one hand in the tub. He yelled "MAMA" like the tub was eating him, but if he would have dropped the toothbrush he was holding he could have stood up, but he will let go of that toothbrush when we pry it from his cold dead hands!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemontree View Post

I am surprised by the responses!  DS just turned 17 months and we close all the doors. ..... I feel like I still need to be with him...he tries to climb everything right now...the furniture, the tub, toilet etc.  Maybe he is just younger than the other toddlers in this thread?  "

Mine is 2 in April, and he's a "good" baby. He does get in over his head, and has gotten too close to the edge of the bed or couch and fallen off, but he doesn't scale bookcases, or put things he shouldn't in pottys (though, DH uses TP and I use family cloth, and I don't think DS quite knows the difference without some instruction and I am afraid he will flush the cloth and clog the already issue ridden toilet)

I also don't "believe" in child proofing. Mostly because those gadgets they sell are adult proof too! We have a freezer lock, because it's a chest freezer, in "his room" and I don't know if he could get out if he got in, and I don't want to lose all the food in the freezer because he opens the door, and can't reach it to close it, and everything thaws.

It really depends on the baby. My niece is a toilet dunker. She has flushed SILs iPhone, books, toys, watches everything. I would very much close the bathroom door or get a potty lock.

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#25 of 30 Old 03-09-2011, 08:25 AM

DS hasn't flushed anything down the home toilet . . .yet. He has flushed a (you know, the roll of plastic diaper baggies made by arm and hammer/munchkin?) in a public toilet. and he tried to flush a Homes magazine . . . luckily it was too big!

DS hasn't figured out the toothbrush. He thinks it is a hair brush.

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#26 of 30 Old 03-09-2011, 10:54 AM

We leave our bedroom doors open. She sleeps in her own room in the crib. We used to close her door just because it's right off the living room and we didn't want to wake her with he tv or our talking and moving around. Now, she flips out if her door is closed, so we leave it cracked and just try to be quieter when she goes to bed. We're going to be moving her to a toddler bed soon. She has a door in her room that leads to the bathroom, so that is already locked so she can't get there from her room. Between locking that door and closing the gate to the kitchen at night, she'll only have the living room, dining room, and our bedroom to go to if she gets up in the night. I'm comfortable with that, because I could hear her in the living room and dining room, and I want her to be able to come to us if she needs to.

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

#27 of 30 Old 03-09-2011, 11:49 AM

We keep the bathroom door closed because of our mobile baby. My 3 yo can open it himself now that he it potty trained. We keep door knob covers on the older siblings rooms so the little ones don't get into them.
#28 of 30 Old 03-09-2011, 11:49 AM

Quote:

Same here. The only door that stays shut is the bathroom, but that is only to keep the dog from eating the trasheyesroll.gif   We also live in a 2 bedroom, one floor apartment so I always know where DS is.

S~ Peace loving, natural living, FuNkY vegan mama to Keiran bouncy.gif 23/Dec/06:
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter" ~~ MLK
#29 of 30 Old 03-09-2011, 03:32 PM

This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MittensKittens View Post

I leave doors open because my son is not tall enough to do it without getting on a step. We live in a small apartment, and I see his mobility as a positive thing. The front door stays locked at all times, however.

#30 of 30 Old 03-09-2011, 07:37 PM

we spend most of our time on the mainfloor, which is just living-room, kitchen, and dinning-room, and doesn't have any doors. the upstairs is gated off. when we are upstairs, if we're playing the bathroom door is usually closed, climbing into the bathtub, getting the TP, etc. if DD is sleeping the door gets closed, otherwise she gets up instead of going to sleep and the noise keeps her from sleeping. 

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page