blankets and pillows- safe at what age - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 03-05-2011, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've been letting my DS have several small and thin blankets.  He's 20 months  But, I was wondering at age are any blankets safe.  He does not care for his little blankets always throwing them off, but he actually cuddles under my comforter.  When can he have a thicker cuddlier blanket?  What about pillows?  He doesn't have one yet.  He likes to snuggle when he sleeps, but he can't since I'm not giving him anything snuggly yet because I'm not sure when he can have blankets and pillows.

#2 of 14 Old 03-05-2011, 09:11 PM

He is old enough for a blanket and pillow. I think most are ready by 12 months.

#3 of 14 Old 03-05-2011, 11:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My 18mo DD has had a blanket and a pillow for a long time now.  She loves her blanket and while it doesn't always stay on, she likes it in her bed.  I think once a kid has good body control and a little common sense, that a blanket is fine.

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11.  We are planning our next adventure to South America in April 2014!
#4 of 14 Old 03-06-2011, 11:26 AM

You know what?  My daughter has always had blankets and pillows.  She's co-slept with me and her dad from birth.  When napping on her own, she slept on her back.  

But the general rule of thumb is when a baby can roll over, pillows are okay.  The concern is if they smoosh their faces into a pillow and can't roll over off of their faces.  But, realistically, the vast majority of babies, even tiny tiny new ones, can move their heads up and readjust if they're on a pillow.

Your son is 18 months old.  If he's uncomfortable, he'll kick the comforter off.

#5 of 14 Old 03-06-2011, 01:48 PM

We had a comforter in just before a year and a pillow at about 20 months. He sometimes uses the pillow (25 months now) and loves to have a huge pile of blankets in the bed.

Mama to Monkey (Jan '09), Bee (May '11), and Cat (August, '13)

#6 of 14 Old 03-06-2011, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella Enchanted View Post

You know what?  My daughter has always had blankets and pillows.  She's co-slept with me and her dad from birth.  When napping on her own, she slept on her back.  

yeahthat.gif 

DS2 is now 9 mo and when he sleeps alone I give him two fluffy blankets to keep him warm. I gave DS1 a pillow around a year.

Wifey to my DH 9/2005 and always busy SAHM  to my beautiful boys  twins.gif   Elijah 12/2008 and Caeleb 6/2010
Our baby girl  stork-girl.gif is arriving October 2012!!!

#7 of 14 Old 03-06-2011, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

When we co-slept he always had blankets, but now that he's in his own room and I can't seem him, I wasn't sure.  I actually got a video monitor recently and I had it on one day and I noticed that he was breathing really fast.  I turned on the screen and saw that his thin blanket was over his face.  So, I went right in and took it off and his breathing went back to normal.  It scared me a little bit.  I guess at some point his body would have woken him up and told him to move?  You think it would have happened before he started to breathe that fast.  It's only happened once.  Normally he throws all his blankets off anyways, so it was very weird.

#8 of 14 Old 03-06-2011, 09:14 PM

Dd has had a nice comforter and (flat) pillow for as long as we've had her own bed....maybe since 15 months?  But she's still in our room.  She also has her monkey, baby, hippo and rubber ducky in bed to snuggle with.  She's in a toddler bed.

Tricia
Canadian Mama to E 2yrs
Someone new coming October!
#9 of 14 Old 03-07-2011, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

Little man is getting a pillow just as soon as his grandma makes him a Thomas pillowcase.  He's going to love it!  She's also buying him a whole Thomas bedding set for his 2nd birthday, so he'll have his own comforter in just a couple months.  I can't wait!

#10 of 14 Old 03-08-2011, 05:51 AM

DS really wanted a pillow, he was stealing mine, at about 20ish months. He hated blankets until about the same time. We're cheap, so it's always cold in our house, so it's either blankets or you freeze! Even with layers of PJs, he would still get really cold hands/nose and I would cover him up when he fell asleep.

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#11 of 14 Old 03-09-2011, 05:32 AM

DS has slept with cuddly blankets (minky and plush sort of ones) since he was about 6-8 months old I think. the smaller lovey ones (by angleldear) since probably 3 months. He doesn't sleep with them on top of him, only to cuddle with. He doesn't seem to care for a pillow, so he doesn't have one. When in bed with us, we have pillows but he does not seem anxious to share them, so we don't. I think he probably will be pillow free until he seems to want one.

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#12 of 14 Old 03-10-2011, 08:46 PM

DD is one. She has had a pillow and blanket since she was 9 moths. She loved putting her head on our pillows and cuddle, so we realized she is ready for her own pillow. She sometimes fiddles with the pillowcase, but never got herself in a dangerous position, so all seems fine.

#13 of 14 Old 03-10-2011, 10:31 PM

DD has had a blanket to sleep with since she started napping on her own (3 or 4 months). she doesn't yet have a pillow because she has such a big head for her body size, so she's more comfortable without one. she does sleep with a whole host of stuffed animals in her bed some nights. 

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg
#14 of 14 Old 03-13-2011, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

DS is enjoying his new pillow.  He still kicks off his blankets, but now my mom is sewing him a bigger cuddly quilt and hopefully he will like that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page