What does your 1 year old play with. .. and love? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 03-06-2011, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

Location: Physically in Cincinnati, Ohio. Mentally in Anywhere, Else.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I could use some suggestions!

DD is 14 months and I think she's bored of her stuff. She loves her books. We have a zillion and she never gets sick of them. We play with her clothes. She has a drawer with out grown clothes that she takes in/out of the drawer, carries them around, puts them here, there, everywhere, puts them on the floor, couch, wherever. That entertains her for 40 minutes at a time. We have homemade music toys that she plays with along with a bear that plays music. She has blocks. . .but she doesn't care of know how to play with them. I can stack them, and try to engage her, but she's not into them. We have one puzzle she's just started showing interest in. Stacking cups. . .have them, she's so/so. Balls, she loves. We throw balls on the hard wood floor and watch them go. With all this said. .. she gets bored, doesn't play by herself, and I wonder if I'm missing the boat on age appropriate toys?

What does your LO play with?!

#2 of 28 Old 03-06-2011, 07:07 PM
tzs

riding toy is and was #1. if i could do it again i'd get one of the "wheely bugs."

dd loves her big metal tonka style dumptruck that she pushes all around the house and loads up with stuff. if your dd likes to carry stuff around, she may love pushing her stuff around in something like that or a little shopping cart or something.

the other thing that can keep her occupied for literally an hour is her "bean box." thanks to the other moms on mdc that gave us the idea b/c it's genius. we just got a big shallow rubbermaid and dumped in some assorted beans, scoops, funnels, spoons.....she's been adding stuff she finds too, cups, empty toilet roll. my dd isn't one to stick random stuff in her mouth so i don;t worry about choking but you could also use it with closer supervision. it also requires letting go of any worry about mess but we keep it on one area of the hardwood floors so i consider 2 minutes of sweeping a worth trade for hours of play.

we're also so so on plain blocks so i got some bristle blocks. plus, they're more fun for me to play with.

just picked up a magnadoodle too. not super into it but she does go to it and it'll last as a toy.

Reluctant 'Sconie, chassid and mama to sweet toughie Ada Bluma 9/9/09 and loving pittie-mix ("Judge the deed, not the breed!")
#3 of 28 Old 03-06-2011, 08:24 PM

We just got a play kitchen (the one from ikea) and DD LOVES it. She opens and shuts the cupboard doors and puts things in, takes them out. I suppose you could just let your little one have a cupboard in the kitchen for the same purpose. She also loves opening and closing things in general. So small boxes or tins that she can open herself and put things in. I also gave her an old wallet with a bunch of old plastic cards (old gift cards, etc.) and she loves them as well.

Me joy.gif, DP treehugger.gif, S bikenew.gif and L babyboy.gif
#4 of 28 Old 03-06-2011, 08:53 PM

I have to try the bean box.  Sounds great!

#5 of 28 Old 03-07-2011, 08:41 AM

Wiggles VHS cases.....honestly he carries these around all day and wants someone to name the characters as he points at them.

Otherwise balls of all sizes.

The one toy that seems to keep him occupied with seemingly creative play are his stacking cups. He has about 8 cups and will arrange and rearrange them over and over.

Wood blocks

#6 of 28 Old 03-07-2011, 08:54 AM

Def the kitchen set and trucks :0 Also both my kids had this shape/block sorter square that they LOVED!

Mom to a beautiful little girl ~age 4~ and adorable little boy ~age 3~ and wife to my main squeeze luxlove.gif
Two babes in heaven MC 6/23/10 at 8 weeks, MC 2/24/11 at 8 weeks, MC 3/2012 at 8 weeks ~ Praying for a rainbow1284.gif baby ~

#7 of 28 Old 03-12-2011, 04:52 PM

I agree with dry beans. I also give her macaroni to play with. She loves pouring them into different containers. I gave her a cupcake pan and she went crazy over it. It really is just the simplest things!

Mommy to my busy little Kora 10/20/2009.
#8 of 28 Old 03-12-2011, 06:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

i agree with pp that kids don't need much.  at this age anything is a toy.

i've been so amazed at the amount of toys some people have.

my 14m dd can fit her toys into 2 milk crates

but i do let my dd have lots of access to other stuff in the house.  she has a shelf in the pantry that she can reach, all but one of the cabinets she can open (metal mixing bowls, plastic dishes, etc)

when i go grocery shopping i let dd play with the stuff as i put it up.

she loves to play with clean laundry as i put it up.

loves to go through the junk mail.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#9 of 28 Old 03-12-2011, 06:28 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

An old, empty and cleaned ketchup bottle.

A stick from the front yard.

A cardboard clothing tag with a picture of Elmo on it.

A ribbon.

An old oatmeal can that has stickers on it and is now a "drum".

A straw.

And her food set + tea set.

Seriously.  I'm a first time parent and I am coming to realize that we do not need to spend anymore money on toys!  I mean, there are a few things I'd still like to get her like one of those outdoor slides or a little trike.  But, she is so fond of the things listed above that I started putting them in the toy box when we clean up and they've remained staples of play during the day.  She even gives the Elmo (on the clothing tag) bites of her fake food and sips of her fake tea.  Lol...maybe we need more play-dates with real children, ha!  But she really occupies herself with the stuff from around the house over the toys we've bought.

*But as far as purchased toys, I highly recommend the food sets from Ikea and the Green Toys tea set.  And I think she'd love a Tonka dump truck like others have mentioned.

#10 of 28 Old 03-12-2011, 11:53 PM

Most 14 month olds do not spend large quantities of time playing alone.  DD can spend 5 minutes MAX with any given item before she is looking to be entertained by someone else.  They need lots of social interaction at this age.

By the time they are two they can spend longer on their own.

DS had play pop-up tunnels and would quite happily play in the bath with cups of water for up to 10 or 15 minutes.  DD has this little pushcart that she loves to fill up and mae deliveries with...but she's only wee.  They can't really entertain themselves for long periods until much older.

Rebekah - mom to Ben 03/05 and Emily 01/10, a peace educator, and a veg*n and wife to Jamie.
#11 of 28 Old 03-13-2011, 04:25 AM

Besides the dog food (this has to be her favourite right now - she is 1), make her way to the pot, take lid off and start flinging the food out, try some herself (she is slowly learning what shaking the head means and "no" - in fact she now shakes her head to certain foods), offer some to me, put some on the floor, in the bowl, put some in the cup, pour into bowl....(my dog has noticeably gained!), and when that pot is lifted up she goes for the cat dish and when she is redirected from that, the water bowl...

She is definitely at the exploring stage. She used to enjoy emptying containers/baskets of objects and seeing what was in them so this seems to be a continuation of that, except she likes new ones, she is not interested in the containers/objects she already has done. Since I have an older son, we have baskets of his toys. I can give her one of these baskets and she enjoys going through it. She may find one item that is of more interest then just emptying the container. A stuffed dog, a toy that rotates around and makes a noise.

She loves talking on the phone, any slim object that can be used as a phone, she puts it to her ear and talks, passes it to me - she loves it more when its the real phone and someone is on the other end.

She also uses a pencil and paper, she enjoys drawing for a bit.

She enjoys practicing walking - I hold her hands and we walk around the house. She enjoys walks outside.

At this age babies seem to be in the mimic stage and exploring stage so any, objects that allow her to mimic things that you use (remote, phone, toothbrush etc); perhaps a walker type thing, containers with items in it to explore.

Sara - Mum to C (10/02) ; m/c 10/07; 7/08; 3/09; Lucy Olive Feb 28, 2010 !
#12 of 28 Old 03-13-2011, 05:52 AM

http://justb-byou.com/toys/curious/whacky-ball/ DD is STILL obsessed with this! I know it's plastic but it's PVC, BPA, and phThalate free, all their toys are, and a portion is donated to needy kids.

We bought our at Target for $10 or $15 totally worth it!

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#13 of 28 Old 03-13-2011, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakeber View Post

Most 14 month olds do not spend large quantities of time playing alone.  DD can spend 5 minutes MAX with any given item before she is looking to be entertained by someone else.  They need lots of social interaction at this age.

By the time they are two they can spend longer on their own.

DS had play pop-up tunnels and would quite happily play in the bath with cups of water for up to 10 or 15 minutes.  DD has this little pushcart that she loves to fill up and mae deliveries with...but she's only wee.  They can't really entertain themselves for long periods until much older.

My DD entertains herself practically all day. She comes to me for hugs (and milk) periodically, but for the most part entertains herself. When we have other kids over she gets so excited and plays with them too, so I don't think their is anything wrong with her, right?

She has been doing this since 12 m/o. (when she started waking)

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#14 of 28 Old 03-13-2011, 11:22 AM

A toy vacuum (he loves the real one too but we don't let him play with that.)
plastic water bottles of various sizes
potato masher (he found it last night and played with it for hours)
a walkie talkie
pretty much anything he can pick up and carry around with him

He puts EVERYTHING in his mouth so I think the bean idea will have to wait for us... It sounds like a lot of fun though!

E, wife to D, mommy to G (born March 2010). joy.gif

#15 of 28 Old 03-13-2011, 11:40 AM

I've been needing new ideas too, so I'll share a couple things we do!  She LOVES pushing a dolly stroller around, I got out the wooden ring stacker today again and found out she can put the rings on, so that's cool....I put some pasta in a pot and give her a wooden spoon and she mixes it around....this is messy, but she loves playing with flour on the kitchen floor!  I also found out it vacuums up easily if (when!) it gets on the carpet......hm, what else........blow bubbles, oh she really loves learning letters lately- we have the magnetic fridge letters and I keep them in an old baking cocoa container.  She dumps them out and likes me to tell her what letters they are and she likes putting them back in and putting them in other containers.  Also foam bath letters.   She loves to play with glass bottles, like ones I've washed out from food and also jam jars, under great supervision of course.  Putting different sized ones into each other.  Maybe she likes the sound they make.

Mom to dd1 7/2007, dd2 2/2010, and ds 7/2006 in heaven
#16 of 28 Old 03-13-2011, 01:10 PM

I second the toy vaccum cleaner. DS was obsessed with the vaccum so i picked up a toy one at a swap meet. It makes vaccuming sounds and he just loves pushing it all over the house. He also has the ball and hammer toy someone above mentioned. Some other things he likes are: boxes with lids, toy cars, dd's baby princess dolls, toy keys, empty containers.

He loves to "help" clean so I'm thinking of getting him a little broom and other little cleaning supplies.

#17 of 28 Old 03-13-2011, 03:05 PM

Of course it's not WRONG, it's just highly unusual for this age group.  Most kids under two need interactive play, and mimicking play and will not spend hours at an activity center or a exersaucer, or sit happily alone with a shape sorter.  The ads, the packaging, TV shows and movies are FILLED with babies happily playing independently while mommy and daddy cook dinner, read books, watch movies or hang with friends and that's just really really unrealistic for most kids this age.

I can count on DD playing/exploring happily in no more than 5 minute intervals.  DS was the same. As he got closer to three those 5 minutes stretched into 20 minutes and then hours and hours.  But at just over a year?  Toys just don't generally do that much for a LO at that age unless you are playing with it too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sosurreal09 View Post

My DD entertains herself practically all day. She comes to me for hugs (and milk) periodically, but for the most part entertains herself. When we have other kids over she gets so excited and plays with them too, so I don't think their is anything wrong with her, right?

She has been doing this since 12 m/o. (when she started waking)

Rebekah - mom to Ben 03/05 and Emily 01/10, a peace educator, and a veg*n and wife to Jamie.
#18 of 28 Old 03-13-2011, 03:13 PM

Wow I really didn't know that since DD is my first. Well I guess this is the one area I get a break in b/c she is very sensitive and high needs emotionally. She is a SCREAMER (her cry still sounds like a newborn) to the point where people tell me to ask the Dr if that's "OK" (and yes it is, just part of her spiritedness...)

#19 of 28 Old 03-14-2011, 11:55 AM

My daughter loves toys and has enjoyed playing by herself since around 12 months.  Her favorites are little dolls, animal figures, and cars.  Now she's 20 months and probably spends about 3 hours total a day entertaining herself, with minimal interaction.  It's the only thing about her that's been "easy."  I don't know if it's because we have so many toys, or if she's just that kind of kid.

Here's a list of what we've had since dd was about 12 months:

wooden blocks (she'll stack them, but she's not that into them)

lego duplos

ride on truck

ikea push cart

ikea easel

box of magnets

at least 50 books

lacing beads

about 10 chunky puzzles

shape sorters

dolls, animals, cars

stickers

she has her one little ipod stereo that plays her music continuously with just one button

instruments, keyboard, xylophone

magna doodles

balls

stuffed animals (she started getting into these around 17 months)

bristle blocks

realistic looking tool set

stacking/nesting cups

wedgits

baby doll (not quite interested in this yet)

she's been playing with this for 10 minutes: http://common1.csnimages.com/lf/1/hash/621/656791/1/1.jpg

#20 of 28 Old 03-14-2011, 05:49 PM

My son is 17 months and lately he has been really into lacing beads. I recommend the ones made by Alex's since the beads are very large (if your little one still puts things in her mouth) 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001447IX8/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0001VUNVE&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=064CJT8QN6THG4J2H0MP

Other than that he has just started to be interested in puzzles. He also loves to help so any way that i can incorporate him into my routine makes him happy. He really likes to stand on a chair and help me cook (or stir together apple sauce and almond flour while I cook). They change so fast!

Postpartum Doula mama to one beautiful boy, born 10/12/2009. Check out my blog at www.TheBreastfeedingBlog.com
#21 of 28 Old 03-14-2011, 09:23 PM

Set of magnetic animals on the fridge - she loves moving them around, putting them in a box and back onto the fridge

Set of small board books with nursery rhymes, she loves manipulating them, loading a truck with them...

Taking socks and tights out of the box

Wooden animal puzzle - she spends loads of time playing with it, but wants my assistance...

#22 of 28 Old 03-15-2011, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosurreal09 View Post

http://justb-byou.com/toys/curious/whacky-ball/ DD is STILL obsessed with this! I know it's plastic but it's PVC, BPA, and phThalate free, all their toys are, and a portion is donated to needy kids.

We bought our at Target for $10 or $15 totally worth it!

THIS!  I can't believe how much time DD2 spends playing with this.  It was a Christmas gift when she was 10 mos & it's still a go-to item every day...

Anything play kitchen related is HUGE too...

This bath toy has been a HUGE hit in our house with both DDs-we also have the faucet toy by the same company.  They love them!

http://www.amazon.com/Yookidoo-Stack-Stream-Tub-Fountain/dp/B001QCIG16

And I am shocked to say this might be her favorite-for months now too...

http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Laugh-Learning-Letters-Mailbox/dp/B001IEWX2A

DD1 has the M&D Wooden Mailbox & they play side by side, switch back & forth, mix & match...they both love these mailboxes...

Stephanie~hippie.gifwife to Dov, mama to Ella Irie (9/24/07) & Kaya Raine (2/1/10)~our vbac.gifbaby, born 45 hours after PROM!!!
#23 of 28 Old 03-15-2011, 02:57 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me

Riding toy of some sort or pushing toy, depending on mobility

sorting toy-- this is a great one http://www.amazon.com/Wonderworld-Eco-Friendly-Posting-House-Sorter/dp/B00004UD6H

a handled toy of some sort, like a bucket or this genius sorting set http://www.amazon.com/Spielstabil-3502-Nesting-Stacker/dp/B000CPGYTY/ref=sr_1_5?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1300225901&sr=1-5

finger puppets

soft dolly

stacking ring

large knobed puzzles

have you tried art supplies yet or a doodle or playdough, I was suprised how early my second child was into art Stockmar crayons are worth the price, they last forever, don't break, both kids prefer the sticks over the blocks

you are on the edge of duplo legos which are genius (you can buy lots on ebay more cheaply)

little animals of some sort, either plastic like Schliech or wooden or duplo

#24 of 28 Old 03-16-2011, 11:15 AM

Oh man, now I am reeeally tempted to get that posting house and nesting cups even though we have a nice wooden shape sorter and some stacking cups!  BUT our stacking cups don't stack easily, do these ones?

My only other reservation really is that I KNOW my 3 year old will steal these things and I'll find them hidden in her bedroom full of stuff.  She is a stasher.

Mom to dd1 7/2007, dd2 2/2010, and ds 7/2006 in heaven
#25 of 28 Old 03-16-2011, 11:47 AM

DS loves bead mazes when he's playing by himself, and the whacky ball (we have a wooden version). He also likes his push toy, and seems to like ride on toys at daycare. But he really is most interested in the washer, kitchen utensils, tupperware, moving furniture (we have life size sokoban going on in the house all the time), and anything he can "help" me with.

sleepytime.gif
#26 of 28 Old 03-28-2011, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

Location: Physically in Cincinnati, Ohio. Mentally in Anywhere, Else.

I haven't been on line since I started this thread. . .because I'm entertaining and playing with DD all day. :-)

Thanks for the awesome suggestions. The more I read your posts the more I realized she has a lot of stuff she does play with. . .she just doesn't want to play independently, yet. I hadn't really thought of her going threw the junk mail or emptying out the tupperware cabinet or destroying my pantry on a daily basis as play! Maybe I'm trying to hard to "play" with her, or see her play by herself. I'll relax about this, and take some of your awesome ideas to heart!

Thanks mamas!

#27 of 28 Old 03-28-2011, 11:23 AM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me

Get them. the stacking cups do stack easily they have a little extra rim to help. Two of the pieces are also pierced so fun in the bath too. And yeah our 3 y grabs and runs with her toys too

#28 of 28 Old 03-28-2011, 11:37 AM

didnt read all of the posts, but a hammering toy was DS's favorite 1st b-day gift. He is 31mo & uses it daily still!

Wife of 10 yrs to Oaties, Mama to Bubs 08/06/08, Rizie 04/19/10 & MRae 02/02/13 & to dog2.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page