How Do You Keep A Climber Off The Dining Room Table? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 34 Old 03-13-2011, 05:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My solution when DS1 climbed on top of the table: I bungee-corded my chairs together tightly so they couldn't be pulled out.

seasiren likes this.

Mama to Blake, 5, and Grant, 3
ribbonpb.gif
#32 of 34 Old 03-13-2011, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It looks like the new has sort of worn off for him...*hopefully*

Over the last few days, he hasn't tried climbing on top of the table very often. When I've seen him attempt to climb from the chair onto the table, I say "Sit please." and he's been sitting. I say "Sit please." when he tries to stand in the bath, so figured I might as well try it w/the table issue. Seems to be more effective than removing him. When I take him off, he just seems determined to get back up there as quickly as possible. 

Though I'm sure now that I've posted this he'll be back up there in no time. winky.gif

#33 of 34 Old 03-16-2011, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmel23 View Post

Having something they can climb is very useful (little tikes slide, etc.)

Yes, I've got one of these little 16 month old climbers too. Its been a struggle for us being new parents and all, but we are still just taking him off the table when he climbs on it, letting him sit in the chair with feet forward, and teaching him to get down on his own. Also the slide....thumb.gif is a very good idea.  We have one in our playroom and he is so into it. Distraction also works to some degree. Right now bubbles are a good one.  Oh and pushing those darn chairs in! We got rid of all the chairs he could move easily. The heavier the chair the better. I do let him climb in a few cupboards and slides at the park as much as possible.

Self employed 37 year old lady.gifMother of one 4 year old super herosuperhero.gifand wife to a lovely DH malesling.GIF who is my hero. Its been a long run but I am pregnant with #21sttri.gif due 10/10/14. goorganic.jpgnovaxnocirc.gifbftoddler.gifHere we go again....
#34 of 34 Old 03-23-2011, 11:23 PM

You mean there are toddlers out there that AREN'T climbers?  Who knew?!?

Both of mine are monkeys.  I found DD *in* the kitchen cabinets more than once (she's mellowed out nicely as she gets older, fwiw), and DS was climbing before he was walking.  At 12 months he climbed on furniture until he was hanging half on and half off the mantle (with DP playing spotter) and he plays the kitchen table and counters game many many times a day.

I'm 75% stay-at-arms-length and just go with it, and 25% redirection, plop on floor, or pop him into the Boba.  And YES, we spend a lot of time outside.  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page